• Published 18th Jul 2013
  • 877 Views, 10 Comments

On Alicorns - Nra Vadumee



A text on the history of the mysterious and near-extinct race of demidivine immortal alicorns. And what stories lie in the shadow of the past... beneath the murky depths of history, some legends just want to be forgotten... while others should be...

  • ...
2
 10
 877

A Storm Rising

The two great dragons sailed forth over seas and hills and plains and flames, out over across the realm of existence, preparing themselves for the trial ahead. Dragon’s wings beat down hard as he flew at breakneck speeds, Dawnvir only marginally managing to keep up. He was ready for battle; Or rather, for victory. He had been waiting long for such an opportunity; When Infernis had mentioned Aquos returning from a mission given by Lumos, he inquired politely about it. It was through these inquiries that he learned of Lumos’ message to Pentimus, and, through subtle persuasion, he had also learned of Lumos’ plans to reign supreme. Aquos saw no harm in telling him; She, like the other alicorns, believed him to be loyal and content.


But Dragon is not a loyal and content being.

He knew that Lumos would strike out against Pentimus, and he knew that he was the key to victory in this unfought war between Light and Dark. But he would not bargain or cajole; He would not threaten or be threatened. No, he knew what his goal was to be, and he knew that this battle at the border of Light and Dark would provide him with the chance to succeed in it. Dawnvir was concerned, of course. She feared the might of darkness and light, and rightfully so. Pentimus and Lumos were the first of the Firstborne. They ruled over the tangible world in its entirety; None of the alicorns alone could compete with them, let alone simple creations.


But Dragon is not a simple creation.


Meanwhile, at the border of Light and Dark, Lumos sat patiently, staring into the black abyss that was the Darkness before her. She smiled a cold, cruel smile. Soon, this hideous abyss would be purged. Dragon would see to that. And then she would see to Dragon’s destruction, as well. She thought about the chances of success. Pentimus was surely going to be surprised when no aide came to him as Dragon seared him into dust. Dragon would be, if not surprised, then at least overwhelmed by the powers brought down on him. Any other alicorn would be appalled at such treachery and deception.

But Lumos is not any other alicorn.


Lumos turned around, hearing beating wings, and saw not one, but two great forms headed in her direction. She remarked at this; So it was true, the stories. Dragon had forged a mate. She mentally calculated what this meant; Undoubtedly, Pentimus was surely doomed, but it would be more difficult to destroy both Dragons now. And it would be needed to destroy both; Killing only Dragon would make his mate enraged, insuring future rebellion. This would not do. Both Dragon and his mate would need to die, regardless of any kind of loyalty they possessed. Weaker mares, like Amor, would say that such brutality is unneeded, that the mere threat of destruction is enough.


But Lumos is not a weaker mare.



Far across the border, deep in the lands of Darkness, Pentimus the Dark Stallion lie in wait of the call to battle. Lumos was dense enough to trust him, and thought him dense enough to trust her. He knew that no help was coming, and he knew even further than it would be Dragon receiving aide from Lumos, not him. He was prepared, of course. Lumos would not set foot where she would be weak, not even with Dragon at her side, the craven. He would be able to best Dragon in his own land, and that would be the end of it. Lumos would lose her trump card, and the alicorns could finally all relax about the damned business. Most alicorns would be worried or fearful if they found that the creation that bested Iras was coming to destroy them.


Pentimus is not most alicorns.


His plan beyond that was simple. With Dragon dead, Lumos would be forced to resign from this tiring, intangible conflict between them. Oh, she would continue scheming and plotting, and she would certainly try again. Perhaps with an army of Dragons. Perhaps with a lance of creations superior to Dragon. And Pentimus would simply wait and triumph over every trial she attempts to destroy him with. All the while, the great Darkness merely gains strength while the Light exhausts itself. Some alicorns believed Pentimus to be apathetic to the world beyond the Dark.


Pentimus is not apathetic.

He was not like Lumos, with her dreams of sovereignty and supremacy. He did not want to reign over his brothers and sisters; He simply wanted to end this damnable conflict and keep his unfathomable Darkness abundant in the world. He regretted that Dragon had to die to insure that, but he was sure that Lumos had filled the thing with lies and zealotry against him. The creation would not allow any outcome but death for this battle. Pentimus felt that Dragon’s death would be such a tragedy, that it could all be avoided. Greater beings need not resort to tools and manipulations, but rather have the ability to take what they want themselves by might and courage.


But Lumos is not a greater being. And Dragon was her tool.


Back on the border, as Dragon and his mate neared, Lumos could not help but hold a cold grin of a mastermind about to see their nefarious scheme succeed. In only a few moments, Pentimus would be assailed by forces far beyond him. Her mind wandered off to a twinge of guilt, though. Pentimus was her fellow alicorn; Though they shared no blood, they were twins. Light and Dark. If she had any sense of mercy or compassion, she would refrain from seeing her brother by might and innocent Dragon destroyed.


But Pentimus is not her brother. And Dragon is her last threat.


As they neared the border, Dawnvir spoke to Dragon.


My love, are you sure that you wish to see this done? Lumos and Pentimus could have enough power to lord over us tenfold!


Dragon looked at her, his eyes aflame with readiness.


Perhaps.


But Lumos is not our master. And Pentimus is not our lord.


And we are not merely the sum of our parts!


Dragon unleashed a mighty roar as he prepared to plunge into the abyss, Dawnvir following behind, unwavering. Lumos’ grin erupted into a full, toothed grimace. Some distance into the Dark, Pentimus stirred, feeling an intruder coming to assail his lands.


The Battle of the Border was beginning.



Author's Note:

Sorry for the extended delay, school's started up and my schedule is TIGHT. If you liked this at all (or disliked it, even), wait until NEXT chapter. It's going to be legendary. Thanks for reading this far, guys; I hope you're here to stay, because we've still got a few thousand years of history after this!