• Published 14th Jul 2013
  • 8,777 Views, 245 Comments

Blind - GjallarFox



What's it like to be blind, you ask? Well, it's a little something like this...

  • ...
18
 245
 8,777

Show a Blind Mare Around

Show a Blind Mare Around

I woke up at precisely dawn, though I never saw the 'rosy fingers' that books had described. It was more of an instinctual habit now, having been woken at dawn when Celestia woke to raise the sun. I'd always hear her slip on her gilded slippers and walk noisily across the well-polished marble flooring to her balcony that overlooked the wonderfully fragrant Royal Gardens. When her hoofsteps didn't echo in the large space of her chambers, I'd wake up and join her, though I could never appreciate the sight of dawn. But I always enjoyed the feeling of warmth the sun gave me. Always pleasant, like a warm fire and a blanket on Hearth's Warming, or a fresh-baked cookie. Waking at dawn had always been the key to keeping my sanity without my sight. It had been so long since I'd seen anything that I'd forgotten colors. One could tell me that the sky was blue, and I'd never remember the difference if someone else told me it was yellow.

I shuffled to my hooves and got out of my bed. I walked over to the wall and hugged it, taking note of the smooth wood's texture. I walked carefully along the edge of my new room, counting the steps around, and tracking where my bed was with my head. When I got to the stairwell, I turned to face my bed, assuming I did the geometry correctly, and I stepped away from the wall. I reached my bed in eight steps.

I walked back to the stairwell, hugging the outer wall of it. I counted each step, and calculated how far around in a circle I went as I descended the spiral staircase. It took me twenty-two stairs and two-hundred seventy degrees around to reach the library proper.

The warm scent of fresh pancakes hit my nostrils, as did the sudden hissing of hay-bacon sizzling to life in a frying pan hit my ears. Somepony had just started cooking. I followed the left wall, as was my habit when exploring new buildings, going roughly ninety degrees around before I hit an opening in the wall from which the glorious scent of pancakes and bacon wafted. As much as I wanted to believe it was just Spike cooking, I knew he didn't know how to fry hay-bacon properly. I gingerly poked my head around the corner, hoping to get a better earful or nose-full of the intruding pony.

An incredibly feminine voice hummed softly as the bacon fried and the pancakes cooked. It was almost familiar. "Rarity, right?" I asked around the corner.

"Right you are, darling," the voice replied casually, as though it were perfectly normal for her to be there.

I started to hear the sound of a knife on a cutting board, and a slight rumble of a dense fruit rolling after being split in two. There were more ponies in my library. "Alright. What gives? Who all is here?" I near growled, mildly exasperated that I couldn't even enjoy a private morning exploring my new home. "And more importantly, why are you here?"

"Well, there's me cooking bacon and pancakes," Rarity answered, "Applejack slicing apples, Rainbow and Fluttershy setting up plates and silverware, and Pinkie cleaning the mess from the party the other day out in the common."

I deadpanned. Great, I mentally cursed. Those ponies. Just who I wanted in my library at the crack of dawn. But the more I thought about my first encounters with each of them, the more horrible I felt for my harsh reaction, especially towards Fluttershy, who was among the group. I remembered Rainbow's innocent comment, and shuddered at myself. They had only been treating me exactly how I wanted them to: as though I weren't blind. They're probably here to apologize even though I'm the one who was wrong...

"We're reeeeeeeeally sorry about the party," Pinkie's voice called from behind me somewhere in the middle of the common. "I had no idea you didn't want a party. Everypony I meet likes parties..."

"Yeah, and I'm sorry about my mouth going off without my head," Rainbow's unstable voice added. "I had no idea you really were blind."

"Actually... I should be the one apologizing..." I sighed. "My outburst... No... My explosion the other day was unacceptable. I had no grounds to say such things, and certainly not to you all. You were just treating me the same as anypony else. I'm sorry for lashing out like that. You didn't know."

"I should have guessed..." Rainbow growled at herself. "It should have been obvious... The way you tracked me in the air... Only shifting your gaze from cloud to cloud..."

"Rainbow," I interrupted. "It's fine. I didn't expect you to know. I try very hard to hide it."

"U-um... Might I ask... Why do you not want ponies to know you're blind...?" Fluttershy interjected softly. "I mean... You don't have to answer..."

"I don't like being treated differently," I answered. "Some ponies in Canterlot treated me differently when I lost my sight. They all pitied me. I hated it."

"Makes enuff sense ta me," Applejack drawled. "I wouldn't want pity if I lost a leg."

"Either way, you still haven't told me why you're all in my kitchen cooking breakfast," I grumbled, forcing the tangent full circle.

"We wanted to apologize for making your first day in Ponyville as uncool as we did," Rainbow offered her point. "Especially me... I did crash into you..."

"Apology accepted," I concluded. "It's totally fine."

The sound of bacon sizzling soon stopped, and many flops of fresh cooked pancakes hitting ceramic plates filled the air. Everything smelled glorious. My mouth watered in anticipation, and my stomach growled in agreement. I felt the ponies in my kitchen stare at me before giggling profusely. I joined them out of embarrassment.

Within minutes, we were all seated at the table, engaged in idle chatter about our daily lives, our likes and dislikes, and various stories of past escapades we'd done. I learned that Applejack had at one point run away from home to find herself in Manehatten, but soon returned because she didn't like the society there. I learned that Rainbow had signed up for the Best Young Fliers competition the day she met me. I learned that Rarity was a local fashion designer that had a few clients in Canterlot, but was hoping to eventually be based there. But I never heard much about Fluttershy. I'd heard that she and Dash had been in the same Flight School class, but not much else. It was curious to say the least.

"So what are all of your cutie marks?" I asked casually, hoping no one brought up my blindness. There were only a few things I'd ask about ponies having anything to do with appearance.

"Mine's a trinity of diamonds," Rarity answered just as casually.

"Three apples," AJ replied simply, crunching on another apple.

"The rainbow lightning bolt," Dash informed smoothly.

"Three balloons!" Pinkie chirped, near bouncing out of her chair.

"Three butterflies," Fluttershy answered softly.

An awkward silence descended upon the room, cracking only when forks hit plates. I 'looked' around, trying and failing to judge the expressions on the faces of my... friends. As much as I didn't want friends, I had to admit these ponies were trying very hard to be my friend, and I kinda liked it.

"Hey Twilight?" Rainbow broke the silence. "Mind if I ask ya something...?"

"I'll allow this once," I sighed, already knowing where this was going. "Shoot."

"Um... When... When did you... y'know... lose your sight?" she stammered a bit, anxious of my previous explosion. I felt one of her legs shaking under the table. When I met her, she was bold and cocky. I found it strange that she was so nervous, but I understood why she would be. I did explode at her for an innocent comment. I felt everyone hold their breath as they waited for my response.

I mourned, drooping a little as the unpleasant memories of how I lost my sight filled my head, "I lost it when I earned my cutie mark..."

Applejack, who happened to be sitting directly next to me, placed one of her rough and scratchy hooves on my shoulder. I didn't bother shaking it off this time. I felt everyone's heads lower in sympathy. Even though I didn't want the sympathy, it was only fair that I should tell them a few things about how I came to be blind.

"I'm... sorry for asking..." Dash whispered.

--

It was incredibly pleasant outside that morning. The sun's familiar warmth caressed my skin and coat, bringing me right back up from the depths of my bad memories. I felt the subtle seismic waves of hoofsteps and their familiar sounds on the compacted dirt streets of Ponyville. I smiled to myself, feeling the presence of Fluttershy next to me. As usual, her hoofsteps were extremely light and soft, making her almost impossible to keep track of. I liked that about her.

"So, what kind of places do you want to find?" she asked in her gentle voice.

"Well, I definitely want to know where the local coffee and teashops are," I mentioned.

"Oh! I know the perfect teashop!" she half-squealed. I silently wondered what I'd done to excite her. But I had no time to do more than wonder, as she started moving.

"Lead the way, Twinklehooves."

I followed closely beside her, keeping track of her soft steps. "It's this nice little hole-in-the-wall place, but the only teashop you'll need to know." She nudged me a little with her wing before starting to turn towards me. I turned with her, now knowing her signal for a turn.

I listened to the chatter of the town as I passed them by, some noticing me and lifting a hoof off the ground to wave as they called a friendly 'hello'. I simply smiled, listening to the town, learning its many voices. I heard a foal wail loudly halfway up the street on the right side. I heard a marketplace just a block or two over, bustling with merchants calling out their produce as the best around and customers haggling prices with them.

Fluttershy stopped and tapped me with her wing again, turning sharply to the right. I followed, smelling the various blends of tea already. I smiled, having memorized the route to this teashop. She opened the door and held it as I walked in. I quietly thanked her before turning my attention back to the wall of scent inside the warm teashop. I heard a few ponies in a corner talking, probably a couple. I heard the familiar scratch of a quill on paper from another table. I heard the dull whistle of water boiling in a kettle behind a closed double-hinged door. I liked this place already.

"Oh! Fluttershy! What brings you here so early!" an unfamiliar female voice called from where I assumed the counter was.

"Oh, hey Rosemary. I'm showing my friend around town," Fluttershy replied brightly. "She's new to Ponyville. Thought I'd show her The Teapot."

"Well, miss..." the mare identified as Rosemary hesitated.

"Twilight," I answered.

"Well, miss Twilight, I'm sure you'd love this place as we do," she continued. "Oh yes! Poetry night is tonight at six, if you'd like to join us."

The poetry caught me off guard. A teashop with an organized poetry night was rare in Canterlot. Most ponies there were far too stuck up or business-oriented to care about liberal arts like literature. There were a few artists of various kinds like cellist Octavia Philharmonica and writer Redd Quill, but not many. I thought for one moment of coming back for the poetry, and instantly accepted, "Absolutely."

I heard Fluttershy hum happily, "I'll be sharing this time!"

I felt a smile creep onto my face when I heard her say that. I had a perfect opportunity to learn about Fluttershy.

"Would you like to share anything, miss Twilight?" Rosemary asked me.

"I'm afraid I don't have anything," I faltered. "Maybe next week."

"Sounds good to me. Shall I get you your usual, Fluttershy?" Rosemary inquired.

"Make it two," my pegasus guide replied warmly.

I mentally prodded myself, Why did I get so excited at the idea of hearing Fluttershy's poetry? Certainly I wouldn't have gotten that excited if it were Rainbow Dash or Applejack.

We sat down at a table, Fluttershy having made an order of whatever her 'usual' was for both of us. Now somewhat alone, I allowed my mind to wander off onto various tangents.

She must be a regular here. It would make sense; a quiet, withdrawn mare coming out to an out-of-the-way teashop that probably receives as much business per week as the average Sunbucks does in one day. Maybe just for the comfortable atmosphere, maybe to see somepony special. Who knows.

"So what other kinds of places do you want to know the locations of?" she inquired, rousing me from my thoughts.

"Oh... Well, I heard the market on the way here, and I think I smelled a bakery," I listed off, trying to remember if there were any other important landmarks I needed to know. "Perhaps the park and your homes."

"Okay," I felt her smile warmly. "That bakery you smelled was Sugarcube Corner. Pinkie lives there."

A weighted tray was placed on our table, the steaming vapor of scalding hot water notifying me that it was meant for making tea. A pleasant scent made its way to me, making me feel a bit more relaxed. I'd tried a number of different tea blends, but had never even smelled this one in particular. Perhaps it was a Ponyville signature. I eagerly located the teabag responsible for the aroma and dunked it into the steaming water.

"What kind of tea is this?" I asked, taking another whiff as the tea steeped. "I haven't smelled this blend before."

"Try it first," she deflected.

I took a sip of the tea and was greeted with a strong burst of lavender warmly embracing my mouth. Subtle pinches and pops of cinnamon and the slightest hints of lemon set in soon after the initial wave of flavor. I took another sip of the blend, enjoying its perfect balance of flavors, feeling myself melt a little bit. My shoulders loosened, lowering the drink by an inch. My back loosened and hunched slightly, bringing my face back down towards the tea.

"What is this?" I wondered aloud. "What is this beautiful concoction?"

"It's the Everfree Lavender blend," she giggled, taking another sip of her own tea. "My own personal blend."

My expression of wonder shifted to one of disbelief, "You make this blend yourself?"

She offered a soft hum of affirmation, taking another sip of the delightful beverage.

--

She was an amazing guide. She showed me around town, helping me find points of interest like particularly good cafés and restaurants, bakeries, and the occasional strange landmark like the Quill and Sofa shop. She was able to work around my blindness, signaling turns with light nudges from her wing rather than calling them out loud. She had no idea how much I appreciated that aspect of her guidance. She was always gentle and considerate to my desire to keep my blindness on a need-to-know basis. She didn't talk too much, as I'm sure Pinkie would have should she have been my guide, but she did make interesting conversation. Apparently, she lived in a cottage on the outskirts of Ponyville, just outside the Everfree Forest. She told humorous stories of the animals she cared for, including one of beating a grizzly bear in a wrestling match. For the first time in a long time, I felt myself smiling, all because of her. I quickly began thinking of her as the best friend I'd ever had.

We returned to the library at roughly four o'clock, having spent the entire day combing the streets of Ponyville, learning of the various places. I smiled, feeling the already familiar coolness of the library. I stepped forward just a little ways before I remembered to hug the wall. I was still learning the layout of the place, as I was for Ponyville. I estimated I'd need another week of guidance around town before I could feel comfortable and confident going out on my own.

I felt Fluttershy nudge me with her wing once again, as though telling me that she'd guide me safely through the unknown center of the room. I tentatively stepped away from the wall, sticking close to my gentle pegasus friend. Slowly and carefully, she guided me through the common, tapping things with her hoof when we got close so I could hear where the solid objects were. When we made it the whole way through to the staircase, I'd found that the main common of the library had a small wooden coffee table carved out of the tree the library used to be, two armchairs and a loveseat.

"Thank you for showing me around today, Fluttershy," I said.

"Oh, you're very welcome. Any time," she chirped softly.

A grandfather clock chimed four, its loud bells echoing in the resonant wood. I yawned, "I'm pretty comfortable with the location of that teashop, but I'll need a bit more time to remember everything else."

"Oh. I'd be happy to help you around until you're comfortable with Ponyville," she offered quickly.

"I'd like that," I murmured. "Anyway, I'm going to take a quick nap. I'll see you at six for the poetry night?"

"Sounds good," she replied happily. She gave me a quick hug before cantering off, her hoofsteps just as light as though she were walking normally.

My mind soon flooded with thoughts, most of which began breaking down the hug and its possible meanings. To me it was a bit out of place. She was my friend, and friends hug each other sometimes, but I'd only known her for a bit over thirty-six hours at that point. I doubted that hugging a friend that soon after meeting them was not a common occurrence. But then again, I kinda liked it. It was, as I had expected, soft and gentle, though very quick. Not only that, but it was the first time I'd felt her fur and mane. Both were softer than the finest silk I'd felt in the palace. I didn't think much of it, but I had a subtle desire to feel it again.

I reached my bed lost in thought, though physically exhausted. I kept replaying the short exchange and the hug that came of it, trying to figure out what made her hug me. Within seconds of plopping down on my bed, I took the surgical breakdown of that one moment to my dreams.

Author's Note:

There will be no more direct episodes written as blind Twi. This story is not meant to follow the exact story of the show as blind Twilight. This is its own story. I only did that for the first chapter to explain how Twilight met her friends.

So yeah. I skipped the whole Nightmare Moon conflict. Honestly, it's none too relevant to the story, but its aftermath is. It isn't important that the mane 6 went into the Everfree and learned a little bit about each other until afterwards when they actually start developing their friendships.

So now you have a little bit more story on how/why Twilight is blind. Now, to all of you impatient numbies that kept saying shit like "You didn't explain enough!" or "It wasn't realistic! How'd she keep track of RD flying and miss a bird!" or even "Twi was a total jerk-face!" I say calm the hell down. I've only posted two chapters now. I'm taking things slow so I don't accidentally skip over things in a rush. I promise everything will be explained in due time.

<3 DarqFox