• Published 6th Jul 2013
  • 2,311 Views, 129 Comments

The Human Side of Things - Gylden Glor



Peter Kempachi-Ramasama, born and raised in Brooklyn, New York, gets the once in a lifetime chance to visit an alternate universe.

  • ...
22
 129
 2,311

Lessons

I awkwardly clear my throat as I knock on the door. Within a few moments, it opens, and I behold a broken, sad -

Cheerful, smiling, Peter...

What the hell?

"Why're you so happy?" I ask, edgily. "You were breaking down over being lonely just last night..."

Peter shrugs. "Good morning to you, too," he remarks. "Well, come in - you're letting all the chill in." I frown as I enter, utterly confused. "So, how's your morning, Rainbow?"

"Uh...good?" I sit down on his surprisingly clean couch, and watch as he gets a cloth and starts to scrub away at a stain of alcohol on the wall. "Not as good as yours, though...what happened?"

"I got over it," he responds, his voice chipper and lilting.

"Just like that?"

"Just like that!" He smiles at me, and I do my best to give him a smile in return. This is...weird...

"How'd you get over it so fast?" I decide to ask. "I mean, you were pretty broken up about it - I'd never seen you so...well...I dunno..." I shrug. "Broken is the best word, in all honesty."

"I had a dream," he explains with an enigmatic grin. "Helped me to forgive someone."

"Who?"

"That's personal," he responds. His tone is still happy, but the way he says it is firm enough to tell me that it's strictly out of bounds - especially to myself. So I just nod.

"Good. Would've sucked if you kept moping like that, huh?"

"Yeah," he responds with a chuckle. "Yeah, it would've. Got to live in the now, y'know? If you don't, you may as well curl up and die - if you keep crying over the past, all that will sprout are seeds of sorrow."

I blink, and let loose an appreciative whistle. "Wow. Deep."

He lets out a bark of laughter before throwing his legs over the back of the sofa to sit next to me. I can't help but smile at him, and he reclines on the armrest with a remote control in his hand. "So, what d'you wanna do today? Seeing as how you just got outta the hospital, I'd be thinking you'd like to hang."

I nod. "Yeah, but I promised Fluttershy I'd help her with her animals today..." I smile at him as an idea is born. "Hey, why don't you come with? You haven't said hi to anypony after getting back from Canterlot, so you might as well..."

"Good idea," he responds. "I'll get my coat - it's pretty damn cold out."

I nod, and he stands up with a spring in his step. He clasps his hand to his forehead with a groan. "Hangover?" I ask.

"A bit," he mutters.

"Just a bit?" I laugh at him. "You were so drunk last night!"

He sighs, and I can tell that I probably shouldn't have said that. "I wasn't as drunk as you may think," he mutters. "I remember everything I said to you. I didn't lose control because of the alcohol - I lost control because what I said was true." He looks to me, and for a moment he seems to be sad again. But it's gone as his face is stretched in a huge grin. "But like I said - I'm over it!" He turns, and surprises me with an exclamation that I don't quite understand. "Allons-y!"

"Huh?"

"Allons-y," he responds, turning to look at me. "It's French. For let's go." He frowns as he rubs his chin. "Not sure where I've heard it, though...I don't even know any French..." He seems to zone out for a moment before apparently waving it off as some odd occurrence. I roll my eyes at the weirdo as he gets his coat.


Later, at Fluttershy's...

The three of us laugh around the table, the glasses of hot chocolate Fluttershy made warming our hooves. And, uh...hands.

"It sounds like Canterlot was very fun," Fluttershy remarks, taking a sip of her chocolate. "I can't believe Princess Luna likes video games as much as you say..."

He chuckles. "Yeah, you've got no idea," he muses. I roll my eyes at him.

"So...about...that thing you were going to design..." Fluttershy seems to grow nervous, but Peter keeps smiling. "Did...did you make it?"

"You mean the gun?"

"Y-yes, the gun..."

"Yeah, I made it," he responds. Fluttershy seems to shiver. "They're perfecting it now - making it so that only the licensed Royal Guard it was distributed to could ever fire it. I let them keep my own so they could do the same thing to it."

Fluttershy nods, and seems to calm down. "Alright, that sounds...safe."

"It is. Better than anything we've got back on Earth." He smiles to himself. "Oh, I'm just so brilliant..." He takes a sip, and makes a humming noise. "So, what have you two been up to while I've been gone? I mean, I know you've been grounded, Rainbow - but what have you been up to nonetheless?"

"Well," I immediately begin with a grin and a puffed-out chest, "I've signed up for an upcoming Young Best Fliers Competition! Winner gets a day with the Wonderbolts! I'm going to start practicing ASAP! I've got to be able to pull of my Sonic Rainboom if I wanna win!"

"The fuck is that?" He asks, clearly interested. I explain it to him as awesomely as possible, and his jaw drops.

"So, wait...you've done this before?" I nod. "You've...broken the light spectrum?" I nod yet again. He stares at me for a moment, mouth hanging open, before finally launching across the table and firmly grasping my hoof in both his hands. He begins to shake my hoof vigorously. "Well, congratu-fucking-lations! Holy shit, you went faster than the speed of light itself! You're fucking awesome!"

I grin at the well-deserved praise, and wait for it to die down. "Thank you," I announce. "For telling me what I already know."

He laughs. "I'm sure you do," he remarks. He turns to Fluttershy. "What about you? What have you been up to?"

"Oh, not much..." She responds, rather meekly. She smiles. "But I did manage to help a poor birdie with a broken wing! And I was able to prepare their hibernating dens early this year!"

"Boring!" I announce with a yawn. "Seriously, that's just so mundane!"

"Oh," Fluttershy mutters, drawing underneath the table. "I...I'm sorry..."

I frown at her, and consider apologizing when I receive a harsh slap to the back of the head. "Hey!" I cry in protest.

"You asshole," Peter remarks. "It's important to Fluttershy, so it's not boring. Just like you care about flying, she cares about helping her animals friends - so how about you shut up and show some respect, huh?"

I frown as I withdraw a bit. "Yeah...sorry, Flutters...uh...how'd you manage to prep the dens early?"

Fluttershy comes out of the table with a grin, and I can tell that she's amused by what Peter said. I'm not very amused, however. I'll make sure to make that painfully obvious to him later. Very painfully...

"Well, I started early, and I had plans set up from last year," she announces. "I was able to fortify the walls and make the chambers quickly, and I even got to..."

She keeps going, and after a while it sounds like a trumpet lulling me to sleepy boredom. I find myself dozing off, and eventually I can feel my head hanging and my snores starting to break through. I don't know what either of them are saying, because I'm near the end of consciousness.

That is, until I feel cold water splashing over my hide!

"What the hell!?" I glare at Peter, who's laughing alongside Fluttershy. They're both holding the bucket over my head, and quickly put it on the ground. "Peter, I am going to fuck! You! UP!"

"Alright then," he responds with a grin, barring his teeth in a challenge. Fluttershy backs away. "Allons-y!" He falters at the French word, but continues with the grin. I suppress rolling my eyes as he begins to run. I chase him right out of Fluttershy's cottage, and end up chasing him all the way to the library.

Where I promptly punch him in the gut and leave him wheezing by Twilight's door. To add insult to injury, Twilight throws the door open, undoubtedly to investigate what had happened. Peter cries out in pain as he gets punched in the face by a door and rolls onto his side, clasping his hands to his forehead. I smirk as I begin to drag him inside, much to Twilight's shock. I make sure to go over the bumpiest parts of the wooden floor.

That'll show him not to fuck with me anymore.