• Published 6th Jul 2013
  • 2,311 Views, 129 Comments

The Human Side of Things - Gylden Glor



Peter Kempachi-Ramasama, born and raised in Brooklyn, New York, gets the once in a lifetime chance to visit an alternate universe.

  • ...
22
 129
 2,311

A Slip of Tongue

"So, when will you be back?" Fluttershy asks.

"Ianno," I mumble in response. I shift the bags on my shoulders. "Whenever I'm done, I guess."

"Well, I do hope you bring back one of your products for me to view," Rarity declares. "They seem to be most interesting."

"Uh...Rares, I don't think that'll be happening."

"And why not?" Applejack asks, her eyebrow arched in curiosity. "What, is this some sorta high-secret thang?"

"No, it's not that," I respond, somewhat uncomfortable as I attempt to explain what I'm making. "It's, uh...dangerous."

"Well...dangerous how?" Twilight asks, seeming slightly uncertain. "I mean...what you've made before hasn't been dangerous in the slightest!"

"Well...what I'm making now is designed to be dangerous," I explain. "Didn't I tell you guys that I'm upgrading Celestia's armory?"

"Yes, but I thought you meant with some sort of spear that could be stored easily," Twilight explains. "Just...what are you making?"

All the mares present lean in as the question is posed. I take a deep breath and let it out as a sigh.

"A device that will send a metal 'slug' towards a target at a speed that can puncture skin, shatter bone, and destroy organs," I hastily explain, my voice lowered a bit. The mares' pupils contract, and Fluttershy seems to turn green.

"Oh...well...that doesn't seem very fun!" Pinkie Pie exclaims. "Not fun at all!"

I shrug my shoulders in response. "Yeah, well...spears ain't exactly too civilized. Besides, you can switch out the metal slugs for rubber pellets that will only welt the skin, or even tranquilizer darts. I'm also going to work on a weapon that will shot electricity - only enough to stun a target."

"Uhhhh-huh," Twilight responds. "While it's certainly intriguing...I think that Celestia's waiting for you."

"Yeah," I mutter, realizing I've sort of shocked them beyond further conversation. "But...I've got to go say goodbye to Dash first."

"Of course," Twilight responds with a small smile. "You go ahead and...do that. Yeah. And take your weapons far away...so you don't kill us bye."

With that I'm pushed out of the tree library, and the door is shut before me. I cock my eyebrow in surprise, but decide to shrug it off as I turn on my heel and head towards the hospital.


Three quick raps on the door is all it takes to get Rainbow's attention.

"Hey," I announce.

"Hi!" She chirps with a grin. I can't help but smile at how chipper she is - the morphine she's on is definitely making her much more sociable. "How are ya, Pete?"

"I'm good," I respond as I step in. She sees my bags and asks if I'm going somewhere. "Yeah, I'm gonna be in Canterlot for a little while - working on a new project." Rainbow nods, and motions towards the bedside chair.

"So, there's something I've been meaning to talk to you about," she begins. I nod in confusion and curiosity. "You, uh...Well, when I was in that coma, I could totally hear everything around me. You know that, right?"

"No," I respond with a frown. "I...didn't know that at all."

"Oh. Well, I guess you'll be surprised to learn I heard you crying over me that day. And that other day. Oh, and that other day! And that other day, too."

I frown. "Oh..." Is all I have to say.

"I think it's pretty sweet that you care about me so much," she informs me. I blink in surprise. Okay, they definitely upped her Morphine - that's nothing a sober Rainbow Dash would ever say. "And...I know you stayed over that one night..." She blushes a bit, and I blush too. When the swelling in her brain had finally gone down, and waking up from the coma was a potential, I had stayed the first night, just in case she woke up. After that, I was convinced by Applejack to go home. "And...I just wanna say thanks for that. It's not often somepony is there for me like that..."

I smile at her. "Well, I'll be there for you whenever you need me," I inform her. "Trust me. I'll stay with you through anything."

Those last six words seem to silence the room. Even Rainbow Dash in her Morphined state understands the immensity of those words, and the implication behind them. Unfortunately, I hadn't been thinking when I said that, so I begin to stammer my way through an apology. Rainbow Dash simply looks at her hooves and sighs.

"I...I need to think for a bit," she announces. "That was...a bit creepy." A pit forms in my stomach. "I hope you do well with your project, Pete."

I nod. "Uh...thanks. And...I hope you get better soon." An uncomfortable silence spans a few moments, before I decide to just stand up and leave. I hear Rainbow Dash sigh again as I depart.

And for the second time this month, the last thing I think after a conversation with one or more of my friends is:

Fuck.