• Published 6th Jul 2013
  • 6,567 Views, 150 Comments

The Party Animal and the Bookworm - Wolfie 03



There's a new unicorn in town and she's just learning about friendship, something that the local pink baker excels at. Pinkie's mission, to bring the joy of friendship to Twilight even if she actually hopes for more.

  • ...
7
 150
 6,567

A day in the Desert

In the desert was the small town of Apploosa. The towns folk, local buffalo tribe, and seven guests were celebrating the peaceful ending to a local feud. They had all the apple foodstuff (with lots of pie of course!) anyone could want and were having a fun time together.

All except for one pink earth pony with poofy cotton candy colored mane. A lavender unicorn looked over and noticed how her friend had gone quiet and wasn't having her usual fun at the picnic celebration.

(She's been quiet since that little outburst earlier after the buffalo did their traditional stamped ...who was she talking to anyways?.... Almost like she heard my mental note of what I want to send in my letter to the Princess about what I've learned here... But then again, that by itself is very Pinkie Pie-like... I better go check on her, I won't be able to focus on anything else until she's cheered up.) The lavender pony stood from her space at the table and walked over to the pink pony.

The pony in question noticed when Twilight began to walk over and watched her come closer. Once Twilight made it to Pinkie Pie's side, she took a seat and looked at the pink mare with a question in her eyes. Pinkie took one look at the purple eyes before looking at the table before them and leaned into the unicorn next to her.

“Why did no one like my song? The instrument was fine, the message was clear wasn't it?, the choreography was spot on...” Pinkie asked softly with a serious but confused face.

Twilight gave a small sigh as her shoulders slumped and looked towards the sky, trying to word her answer properly.

“I think...” Blue eyes lifted to meet purple. “I think, they just weren't expecting it. I don't think they have many friends who like to sing like you do. Remember, it took us awhile before we were use to you singing all the time too.” Twilight stated with a smile.

Pinkie giggled a little and Twilight gave a small laugh as well as she nudged the party mare.

“Maybe we can visit more often and get everyone here use to your singing. How's that sound?” Pinkie's eyes sparkled at the prospect.

“Really? Really really? Like REEAALLYYY Really really?”

“Yes, really.” Twilight waved her fore-hooves in a calming gesture.

“Ohhh! Twilight your the bestest best best ever!” Pinkie hopped around the laughing unicorn.

Then the pink earth pony rushed in to give her crush a nuzzle under her chin, a quick little peck on the cheek and sped away with a cry of “They're dancing, I gotta show them how we in Ponyville shake our groove thing!”

Twilight remained sitting as she put a hoof to her cheek where Pinkie gave her a peck. After a minute of stunned silence, Rainbow Dash landed next to her.

“Hey, Twilight, we need you to be the judge for our race! We're going to see who's the fastest, Little Strongheart, AJ or yours truly! Hey, Egghead. You in there?” Rainbow asked as she poked the lavender unicorn in the shoulder. Twilight gave a start of surprise and looked at the blue peagasus.

“Oh, uh, yeah, I can be the judge for you guys...”


Together they set off for a nearby area that had no obstacles, aside from natural ones.

“Now remember Rainbow, no wings! This here is a race fer running!” Applejack glared at the cyan pony who scuffed a hoof along the ground.

“Yeah yeah. Keep you hat on.” Little Strongheart laughed softly behind a hoof as the orange earth pony tied the cyan pony's wings to her sides to prevent any 'accidents'. Twilight rolled her eyes with a chuckle as Spike found a near by twig to use as his microphone.

“Ready.... Set.... GO!” Twilight yelled as the three contestants took off like the wind, Spike acting as the commenter for the race, keeping the nearby crowd informed as he watched with binoculars.


Meanwhile back in town, up on a roof top where no one thought to look, a pink fluffy maned pony sat looking towards the race on the edge of town. Though it wasn't the racers that had the pony's attention, it was the lavender unicorn judge who had the mare's complete focus.

Pinkie Pie watch Twilight as she sipped from her cup of punch, who in turn was watching the racers. Once she drained the last drop, she firmly placed it onto the roof where it made a hollow sound. Pink ears perked forward as they heard this new sound. Blue eyes focused on the red plastic cup as a grin slowly spread across a pink muzzle.

Pinkie Pie flipped the cup over and allowed her instincts to take it from there. Pink hooves clapped twice, drummed on the bottom of the cup for three beats before clapping once more, picked up the cup and shifted it over with a thud. Then she picked up the cup by the rim of the top, smacked the open end on her right hoof, set the cup back down right ways up with another thud, lifting it up it once more to switch hooves, slapping her left hoof onto the roof before setting the cup back down in it's starting position of upside down with another thud.

The pink mare continued this rhythm for awhile as she began to feel lyrics bubble up. She gave a small grin as she began to sing...

I got my ticket for loong way round,
two bottle of whiskey for the waay,
and I'd sure would like soome sweet company
and I'm leavin' tomorrow whaddya say?

When I'm gone,
When I'm gone-ooOOon,
You're gonna miss me when I'm gooone.
You're gonna miss me by my hair,
You're gonna miss me everywhere, ohh,
You're gonna miss me when I'm gone.

When I'm gooone,
When I'm goone-oon,
You're gonna miss me when I'm goone.
You're gonna miss me by my walk,
You're gonna miss me by my talk, oohh,
You're gonna miss me when I'm goone.



By this point, the music for the wild and the mild west dancing had came to a complete stop as everyone listened to the very interesting song. They couldn't tell where it was coming from, but enjoyed it none the less. Soon the musicians started again, but in an attempt to go along with the singer. All the dancers started to dance in time with the song along with their partners...



I got my ticket for the long way roouund
the one with the prettiest of viewws.
It's got mountains, it's got rivers,
it's got sights to give you shivers,
but it'd sure be prettier with you.

When I'm gooone,
When I'm goone-OOhhoone,
You're gonna miss me when I'm gooone-OOHhooone,
You're gonna miss me by my walk,
You're gonna miss me by my talk, ohh,
You're gonna miss me when I'm goone.

When I'm goone,
When I'm gone-ooOOon,
You're gonna miss me when I'm gooone.
You're gonna miss me by my haair,
You're gonna miss me everywheere, ohh,
You're sure gonna miss me when I'm gooone.

When I'm gooone,
When I'm goone-oohhne,
You're gonna miss me when I'm gone.
You're gonna miss me by my walk,
You're gonna miss me by my talk, ohh,
You're gonna miss me when I'm goone....


Pinkie Pie wasn't aware of any of her surroundings as she sang and tapped on the cup aside from the cutest smarty smart pants unicorn in all of Equestria. She repeated the song twice more before fading off, watching amused as the lavender unicorn lifted the split hoof of Little Strongheart into the air, proclaiming her as the victor. The other two racers were off to the side panting from their run. Soon all five friends were laughing and heading back to town.


As the pink earth pony became aware of her surroundings once more, she noticed cheering from the crowds below.

(Oohhh, maybe they realized who's coming back and just how acca-awesome my little star is! While I don't mind sharing [and caring!], I just hope she always comes back to Ponyville after saving the world and helping everyone with their problems, it would be so much less fun if she wasn't there, something always seem to be happening when she's home [or at least more things happen than usual]. I mean, random magical beast attacks have gone up in the last half a year by 15% alone, not including all the interesting ponies that come by nowadays....)


The five friends walked back to town in high spirits (or in a young dragon's case, had a pony-back ride) as Spike was retelling the highlights of the race.

“And she was like – zoom! Right past you two as you were fighting again. Man, that was a cool race!... hey, why is everyone clapping and cheering?” Spike pointed towards the town folk who were indeed cheering and clapping as they looked around.

The four others looked at one another and shrugged. Twilight took the lead as they walked over to the nearest couple and asked what was going on.

“Why, we're just thankin' whoever sang that amazin' song! And played an instrument none of us ever heard of before. Sure made for an interestin' tune to dance too.” The stallion stated while his date nodded along.

The five friends pondered this for a moment when Twilight had a sudden urge to look up at a nearby roof. With an 'eep' of surprise and sudden blur of pink ducking down, Twilight couldn't help but smile with a soft chuckle.

“Oh Pinkie Pie.”

Three of the four others' faces changed from confusion to comprehension as they too gave little laughs. Little Strongheart was still confused so the blue and orange ponies lead the way, explaining about their hyperactive pink friend. Twilight remained where she was, watching the roof that hid a pink party pony.

Once she saw a pair of blue eyes and half a nose appear, Twilight waved a hoof and smirked. Pinkie Pie, in turn, sat up quite suddenly and with a big grin, waved both fore-hooves in the air as a return greeting. Twilight gave a louder laugh as she waved once more and turn to follow the others.





The seven friends continued to have fun at the celebration (Pinkie Pie had gotten down from the roof top) after the dinner and race they had. They played the various carnival games that were set up, such as horseshoes, apple tossing, pencil in a haystack search, and others of the like. They even had the horse drawing horse-drawn carriages draw the seven friends in western dress.




But like any good party or celebration, everything must come to an end. And night came quickly as the celebration came to an end with the buffalo heading to their tribal home and most of the towns folk heading in for the night. The seven friends gathered all their possessions and headed for the train station.

To make the trip home seem shorter the seven friends went back to Ponyville that night, much like when they first traveled to Apploosa. Rarity was annoyed that even with the tree delivered, they still didn't get private bunks. The others merely laughed and said it was like another sleepover. As the friends chatted with each other, Twilight finally convinced Pinkie Pie to share the second song she had performed while in Apploosa.

As the the pink mare whipped out a plastic cup (light purple this time) the others' conversations dropped off slowly. Once the pink pony started the beat, everyone fell completely silent as they watched in amazement. Pinkie Pie tried to keep her eyes closed during the song since the last time the world disappeared around the lavender and pink mare and Pinkie Pie didn't want to be TOO obvious as to who she'd want to travel the long way round with. The others watched as the normally very energetic and hyper mare sat still and only moved her front hooves. Though it seemed to Twilight as if the poofy maned pony was singing to her.

(Come on Twilight, just because she's leaning towards you, sort of, and her smile might seem bigger when she's facing your way or or ...anything really!.... doesn't mean that it's meant for you... though it sure be nice if it was.....)

As Pinkie let the sound fade away she opened her eyes to find herself looking into purple ones. She gave a big smile before managing to force herself to look at all of the others (and not just a certain unicorn). Everyone clapped their hooves.

“We'll Ah'll be! That there was a sight to see.”

“Why yes, it was. That was magnificent darling!”

“That was so totally awesome! You gotta teach us that!”

“Oh my. That was lovely Pinkie Pie. Where did you learn that?”

“Yes, that was amazing! Where did you learn that and please teach us!”

“Well sure I'll teach you guys how to do this. And I didn't learn it somewhere, I made it up myself. Pinkie Pie Super-Secret Numbuh 442!” Everyone gave a blank look at the mare who was standing on hind legs with one hoof on her hip while she pointed her right hoof into the sky.

Everyone succumbed to giggles as Pinkie pulled out an assortment of colored cups.

Everyone reached out and grab a different color from each other. Rainbow Dash grabbed a light cream cup, Fluttershy picked a light blue one, Rarity choose a light orange cup, Spike grabbed a white one, Applejack picked a red one and Twilight choose a pink one. The party mare tried to contain her excitement at the various colors chosen and what they might mean, subconsciously, of course.





For the next few hours Pinkie Pie showed her friends how to do the song and rhythm. Rainbow Dash and Applejack were the fastest at getting it down pat while Rarity and Spike got it after another hour or so of practice. One could hardly hear when Fluttershy did it but Twilight had the most trouble. She just couldn't focus on the rhythm and keep it at a steady pace. It didn't help when light blue eyes glanced over to see how it was going and pink hooves showed how it was done for the nth time.

“Sorry Pinkie. I can't seem to focus right now. I'll keep practicing though.” Twilight quietly murmured to the pink pony in front of her.

“It's fine, I understand Twilight. Let me know if you need any help though, ok?” Pinkie Pie replied just as quietly, with her ears flipped back as she looked downwards for a short moment. Light blue eyes glanced at purple ones before their owner turned back to the others in the cabin and checking how they were doing with their task.

(Ooooo, I went too far didn't I? Oh Pinkie Pie, why do you do this to yourself? You came on too strong, now Twilight can't even look at you for long. I bet she's embarrassed by that kiss you gave her and now she doesn't want anything to do with you and will never be your friend ever again and doesn't even want to learn the song after hearing what it sounded like and how I kept looking at her and OOOhhh, I can't take this! I'll just act like nothing happened and never mention it again and never do it again even though I really really really want to but NO. Twilight's friendship is more important and I can't lose it! EVER.)

The pink mare then acted just as hyper and happy as normal, determined to prove that nothing was wrong and nothing had happened. While most of her friends didn't notice Pinkie Pie being extra Pinkie Pie that night, the lavender unicorn did and began to grow concerned as to why.


(Why is Pinkie acting like that? It can't be because of what happened earlier can it? Was it because I can't get this song right? I just can't focus with her bright blue eyes staring at me in hope and faith. Especially after that trip to Fillydelphia, when I was able to play music just fine! Arrggghh. What is wrong with me!? Ever since that kiss, Pinkie has been on my mind more than usual. I bet it's because I'm acting oddly... Alright, I'll try to act normally. I'll not let anything, even my own feelings, ruin our friendship. I'd rather never have the chance of a relationship if it means I lose her friendship.)

With that thought foremost in her mind, Twilight tried to get the rhythm down until it was time for bed, even though she STILL couldn't get it right.


As the unicorn laid in bed, analyzing what went wrong, a new train of thought came to mind as to why it might not be working out. (Perhaps it's because I WANT it to be a song for just her and myself. We did take a trip on our own, perhaps I don't want to perform it in front of anyone else but her... Sigh, I guess I won't be able to show her that I can do the song for awhile then, if when I do so I'd want to be more than just 'friends' with her...)

The next morning the seven friends arrived back home and spent the day catching up on chores and business, pleased to be back home where they belonged and out of the desert heat. Though a pink earth pony and lavender unicorn were already missing the company of the other, however they all had chores to catch up on and couldn't get away to meet up once more to hang out.


For the next few nights at the tree library, Spike was constantly woken up by the sounds of a cup shifting around and soft singing.




I've my ticket for the loong way roouund,
two bottles of whiskey for the waay.
And I'd sure would like some sweet company,
and I'm leaving tomorrow whaddya say?

….

Author's Note:

Ok, three things. One, this is my favorite chapter to have written, and I love working with Pinkie Pie since no one usually minds when she sings (so I get to practice my writing singing skills) and because I really like the song. Two, this chapter was particailly inspirided by this image. Cause it was a little weird that nopony stood up for Pinkie after the song about sharing and caring. And third thing is this, I was going to wait before posting this chapter for another day or so, but seeing the 666 in total amount of words in my story was creeping me out and I had to do something to change it. Hope you're liking it so far.