• Published 6th Jul 2013
  • 6,547 Views, 150 Comments

The Party Animal and the Bookworm - Wolfie 03



There's a new unicorn in town and she's just learning about friendship, something that the local pink baker excels at. Pinkie's mission, to bring the joy of friendship to Twilight even if she actually hopes for more.

  • ...
7
 150
 6,547

Planning a party for the Ultimate Party Pony

The lavender unicorn was walking around town,lost in thought. She didn't have a destination in mind, aside from avoiding a certain bakery where the object of the distracted mare's thoughts lived.

(Pinkie has been a great help and taught me so much these last few months. How can I show her how much I appreciate her?)

As Twilight walked through town she looked at the various stores and their potential gifts, shaking her head 'no' at each.

(No, she has lots of pranking supplies. She doesn't need any quills OR sofas. She has lots of musical instruments. I don't think she would need anything fixed and she doesn't need a watch to tell the time. From what I can tell, her Pinkie Sense does that for her. What does one get or do for a mare already happy and throws parties for everyone else?)


Twilight came across the park and decided to sit for a short while to relax. Maybe inspiration would come from watching others. Little did anypony know (aside from a two-toned blue maned DJ) that it was a certain somepony's birthday and a surprise was waiting for them in the park.

“Come on Tavi. It's not much farther!”

“But Vinyl, I would rather just have a nice meal at home...”

“Ahhh, come on Tavi! It's good get fresh air sometimes... this should be good... right around HERE.” As the two ponies came to a stop on top of one of the hills in the park, at the shout of 'HERE', confetti exploded from the trees near them and ponies popped up with shouts of 'SURPRISE!”.

Octavia held a grey hoof to her chest in surprise while Vinyl lifted the cover off of their picnic basket revealing presents instead of food.

Meanwhile a pink maned pony bounced forward with a large box on her head. As the ponies at the center of attention hugged, the light grey one with tears in her eyes, the party pony extraordinaire displayed what was inside the box. It was a chocolate cake with light brown chocolate icing in the shape of Octavia's favorite instrument, a custom build piece with the features of both the cello and double bass. Twilight watched on as the grey mare gave the white one a kiss as thanks while the friends surrounding them laughed.

(That's it! What better way to show the party expert that I/we care than to trow her a party! When is her birthday anyways?... I've known her for over half a year now and I don't even know when her birthday is?!? Who knows everything about everypony?... aside from Pinkie... Rarity. Rarity should know when Pinkie's birthday is. Hopefully.) At this the lavender unicorn set off for the Boutique, not wanting to waste a moment.

As she left the park where the party was going full swing, the pink mare noticed her leaving and a frown crossed her face as she looked towards the unicorn. But as she became aware of her surroundings once more she merely shrugged and promised herself to check on the librarian later. First she had a party to host!


“Thanks Pinks. Tavi was surprised perfectly. I owe you one.” A pink hoof waved off the thanks.

“No problem at all. After all, we're all acca-buddies. So long as the awesome DJ Pon-3 can find some time to help with music ambiance should it be needed, then we're all even stevens.” Vinyl threw her head back as she laughed and slung a leg over pink shoulders.

“Acca-awesome.” As Pinkie hugged the white unicorn back, the grey earth pony came and joined in the hug session.

“Thank you so much guys.”

“Heh, you haven't even opened your presents yet Tav', you should save your thanks for later. And there's a nice big one waiting for you at home too, when it's just the two of us.” Vinyl said with a wink. Pinkie giggled as Octavia's face flushed at the implications. Soon all three friends were laughing as they turn back to the party.


Meanwhile, at the local dress maker's shop, two unicorns were slightly panicky at the knowledge that neither one knew when their party loving friend's birthday was.


“But I thought you knew about everypony!”

“Darling, I know about the important ponies of Canterlot, where one must take note and follow cues to stay important and relevant. You are thinking of Pinkie Pie, who does indeed know everything of everyone in Ponyville. Why, if one wanted a party, you go to HER first, least you overlap the parties. We'll just have to try another method of finding when her birthday is.” Rarity huffed as she ran a hoof through her mane.

Twilight rubbed her face with a hoof as she tried to think about who else would know about the pink earth pony.

“Ok, ok. What about the Cakes? They should know right?” The light grey unicorn nodded, watching the lavender one as plans began to form in her mind.

“Ok, I'll go and ask the Cakes, could you go and ask our friends to visit one at a time so Pinkie doesn't realize what's going on?”

“Sounds like a marvelous plan, as usual. We'll meet back here when we've completed our tasks, correct?”

“Yes. Once we know when it is, we can develop a time table to get everything ready. Alright, I'll see you within the hour.” Both ponies left the store as the fashionista flipped the 'open' sign to 'closed' with her magic and went their separate ways. One headed for the bakery, while hoping that the party was still going on in the park as the other headed into the market place to look for their blue peagasus or orange earth pony friends.


Twilight entered the bakery and checked to make sure the cost was clear. Mr Cake was at the counter and noticed this. He glanced around as well and when Twilight leaned forward to whisper to the baker he leaned inwards while tilting his head in order to hear the lavender unicorn.

“Is Pinkie Pie around?” Twilight whispered while glance around, making sure no extra ears were listening in.

“No. I think there was a surprise party that's suppose to last the afternoon that she's hosting. Why?” He whispered back, since it felt like the thing to do.

Once she knew that Pinkie wasn't back yet, Twilight straighten up with a smile.

“Oh good. I have two questions for you then Mr Cake. When Pinkie's birthday and would you and Mrs Cake be willing to make a cake for it?” The lavender mare asked in a louder tone, though not too loud, she didn't want anypony to overhear. At the questions Mr Cake's face cleared and he began to smile.

“Well of course we'll make a cake for that! I think she said she found gummy the day before her birthday, which would put it at April 1st. Still a month away. How would you like the cake to look and would you want it to say anything?” At the news that she did not in fact miss her crush's birthday, Twilight beamed at the baker as she thought about what kind of cake would be best.

“Great! Uhm, if you could make the cake with her favorite flavors and say, ummm, 'happy Birthday Pinkie Pie'?”

“Sure thing! We'll have it ready the morning of the day, so you can pick it up whenever you need to.”

“Thanks! Oh and could you make sure Pinkie doesn't know? It's going to be a surprise!”

“Sure. Would you like anything else today?”

“No thank you. See you later!” As the unicorn exited the store, giddy at her success, the orange stallion went to the kitchen to share the news with his wife.


For the white grey unicorn, things were not going as well. She couldn't find the typically napping peagasus in the skies around town and the Apples didn't have their stand out that day. The fashion pony did an about face and began the trek to Sweet Apple Acres. As she was midway to the orchard, she saw Rainbow Dash flying overhead.

“Oh Rainbow Dash! Darling, a moment please?” The cyan peagasus pulled to a stop in midair before zipping down to the unicorn.

“What's up?”

“Rainbow dear, we're going to be planing a surprise party for …. Pinkie Pie!” Rarity leaned closer to the cyan mare while checking that the coast was clear as she whispered the end of her sentence.

Rainbow had a grin that grew slowly as she too checked the surrounding area.

“What's the deal? What kind of party?”

“Well, it's for her birthday. Twilight's gone to make sure we have the right date and then we'll meet 'one on one' as it were, so that a certain somepony doesn't become suspicious of our activities.”

“SWEEETTT! This is gonna be so AWESOME! So Twilight knows, you know and I know, have you told the others yet?” Rainbow hoof pumped both limbs as she closed her eyes momentarily, already thinking of the surprise the pink pony would be getting, before looking back at the fashion minded pony before her.

“Not yet. I'm on my way to Applejack's now and I was going to head towards Fluttershy's cottage afterwards. Unless you could tell the dear?”

“Sure thing! I'll keep Fluttershy in the loop. Let me know when you need either of us. This is gonna be so cool!” With a last hoof ump, Rainbow Dash took off at usual high speeds.

The rush of wind caused havoc with Rarity's mane, who gave a cry of alarm. Luckily the damage wasn't too bad and after a minute of styling, continued on her way to the farm.

After checking in with Granny Smith, who told her where the orange earth pony was, Rairty headed for the south fields, where she found her quarry bucking apples.

“Well Howdy Rarity. What brings ya out this ways?”

“Hello Applejack. I'm here about setting up a surprise part for...” Blue eyes shifted side to side checking for a clear area as their owner leaned in with a hoof to the side of her mouth. “Pinkie Pie! … But we must meet one at a time so that she doesn't suspect anything.”

“Ah getcha. Well, if ya want, we could use the barn to have the party. She don't normally go in there, we could set everythin' up a little early and she won't be the wiser.”

“Why darling, that's a splendid idea! I'll let the others know. Thanks again darling.” Rarity said as she turned to leave.

“No problem at all. Ah'll see ya later, let me know when ya need mah help.” Applejack gave a wave good-bye and readjusted her hat as she went back to work. Soon the air was full of the sounds of apple bucking as the fashionista head back into town.


The two unicorns met back in the dress ship once more.

“Did she see you at the bakery?”

“No, she was out at the time. Did you run across her?”

“No, no, not at all. And all the others know as well now. But come, don't leave out any details! When is her birthday?”

“April 1st. We'll have plenty of time to gather the supplies in small enough quantities not to arouse suspicion. And the Cakes said they would make the cake.”

“Oh~ marvelous. And dear Applejack has offered us the use of her barn to hide the supplies and get the party set up.”

“Perfect! Ok, here's the plan. Rainbow will get the supplies, since no one would look twice at her being in the Prank Palace, since they merged with Party Supplies and More. Let's see... Applejack has offered use of their barn. And she could provide the rest of the party food. Since we'll be in a barn, Fluttershy could speak with the local animals to make sure they don't eat or get at any of the party stuff. You'll be in charge of decorating the barn when it's closer to the day and I'll make the supply lists of things needed for the party.”

“Sounds like a wonderful plan. I expected nothing less of our Winter Wrap Up All Group Organizer!” Twilight blushed as she scrapped a hoof along the floor.

“Now we just need to make sure Pinkie Pie doesn't catch wind of this.”

“Indeed! I'll pass the word to the others, you run along and get those lists started.” The lavender unicorn nodded once and gave a salute before exiting the store.



She had to remember to act normal on the way home, she didn't want to ruin the surprise by hopping home or shouting about it. Once she was inside though, she did jump in circles with a large grin on her face.

Spike came over and watched for a minute before decided that she most likely wouldn't stop any time soon and tried to get her attention.

“Twilight? Twilight. Twilight! TWILIGHT!” At the last call, which was more of a shout, Twilight froze in the act of jumping up once more. She looked over to the purple dragon who had his arms crossed and looked back with one brow raised.

“Heh heh. Sorry Spike. I'm just excited -” at this green eyes rolled in place “- about setting up a surprise party for.... Pinkie Pie.” The last two words were whispered in case the pony it pertained to was listening. Which wouldn't really surprise the unicorn.

Spike's face cleared of confusion and annoyance as he leaned forward.

“That's gonna be great! Can I help Twilight, can I?” Twilight petted his head as she nodded.

“Sure thing Spike. For now you can help me make the supply lists and when it's closer to the day you can help Rarity with the decorating. How's that sound?”

“Works for me! Let's get started!” With a flourish, Spike pulled out a scroll and quill, ready to start. While it may seem like a Pinkie-esque ability to pull it from seemingly nowhere, it was more due to the fact that Twilight kept some all over the place so that there was always some within claw's reach. Soon the two friends were on a roll as they spent the rest of the afternoon making list after list of supplies and phases for the party.


(Come on Pinkie Pie, I'm sure there's a logical -heh heh, logical- reason for why Twilight had to leave just as the party was getting started... like maybe she didn't know Octy and Viand didn't want to interfere... though I make sure everypony is invited to my parties and Twilight should have met them already... maybe she's allergic to CAKE! But she eats lots of cupcakes and cake and...GASP maybe she's sick! And she wanted to be away from everypony else so they didn't get sick too! Ohhh, Doctor Pie is on the case!)



At the persistent knocking, Twilight opened the library door a little hesitantly to find Pinkie Pie in a white lab coat with a stethoscope and head mirror on top. Twilight gave a backwards jump of surprise with a shout of “Pinkie Pie!”. With a quick panicked shot of magic of teleporting the scrolls of supplies away, the unicorn smiled at her friend who followed her closely as she held the stethoscope to a purple temple. This caused the unicorn to freeze in confusion as she looked at the serious face of the pink mare.

“hhhmmmmmm.... I can't hear anything on this thing! Which means either one of two things. A) This thing is broken and only good for Nightmare Night Costumes or 2) You have no heart beat which means you're now a zombie or vampire. Have you suddenly felt the urge to eat brains or sparkle in the sunlight?”

“No.” Came the short response with corresponding brow raise.

“Do you feel the need to break out in song and dance? Or feel like you are stuck to the floor? How about the room, is the room spinning round and round? ” A flashlight appeared and was shown into purple eyes which dilated as their owner backed away, while putting a hoof into the way of the intruding light.

“No! What's going on Pinkie?”

“I'm seeing what kind of illness you're sick with.” A pink hoof grabbed a triangle hammer and bonked Twilight's head as a pink ear rested against the purple skull, listening to the thud of the hammer.

“Ow! I'm FINE and I don't think you're using any of those the right way.” Twilight pushed Pinkie away from herself as she rubbed a hoof over the bump. It felt like she was growing an extra horn. She gave her friend a glare as Pinkie looked sheepish.

“Oh, good.” The doctor's outfit came flying off before disappearing altogether. “I was worried that maybe you weren't feeling well since you left the park before the party really got going...”

“Oh.” The lavender mare felt both pleased and worried that the extreme partier noticed when she left.

Twilight was please to know that even in the midst of a surprise party (which was one of Pinkie's favorite kinds), she still noticed when the unicorn left. But at the same time worried, afraid that the pink mare was suspicious or even worse, knew about the surprise party for her.

“Well, I realized that I still had research to do and Spike and I were just setting everything up for it.” Blue eyes lit up at this usual behavior of the studious pony.

“Oh ok! What was it about? Can I see?” The pink mare began to zip around the library in search of the 'research paper'.

“Oh, uhm, I already sent it to the Princess to be graded.”

“Oh.” Pinkie slumped for a second as she stepped in front of the lavender mare. But she perked up as a new thought came to her.

“Ohhh! Does this mean you're free the rest of the day?! Can we do something!? Can we can we can we?” Twilight was surprised at the onslaught of pleas but saw an opportunity to get the curious mare out of the library and away from hastily hidden scrolls.

“Sure, Let's, ah, go and find a rock farm and you can tell me about the different kinds of rocks, ok?” Twilight's question was rewarded with a brilliant smile and a jerk on her hoof as the pink mare lead the way out of the library.

“Oooohh, you're going to like this! I would show you my family's farm but it's further away from Ponyville than we could travel in half a day, which it's less actually since it's already 2pm, where did the morning go?, and a round trip from Ponyville to my family's farm and back would take 6 hours and then we wouldn't have a lot of time to go over all the kinds of rocks on a rock farm. But I did come across this one farm that's not too far and we...”

Twilight smirked at how she was able to both please and distract the pink maned pony. (And I get a lesson in local geology. I just hope Spike is able to properly hide those lists...)


After that extremely informative lesson, the next month seem to pass in a blur. As they slowly gathered supplies, they managed to keep their sharp sensed friend in the dark. Supplies Dash got were chalked up to stockpiling, Rarity's sudden trips were for business purposes and Twilight obsessing over list was just normal behavior.

It was a few days before the party day when things started to slip up with the arrival of a singing telegram. This caused some panic among the 5 friends (Spike being the only one sure things would work out in the end due to Twilight somehow), until they decided to step up the time table and get everything (aside from the cake) set up early. Luckily, Pinkie Pie was busy getting ready for her own party and didn't notice the other party preparations.

The night before the party for the ultimate party pony, a certain unicorn couldn't sleep. She was too excited for the next day and the pink mare's reaction to a party in her honor. Though it was to her great surprise when she was invited to 'gummy's after birthday party' the next morning.

(Great. Just great. Just because you couldn't keep your muzzle shut Pinkie has set up another party. Right when hers is! All because you had to let something slip. Hopefully everyone else comes up with reasons why they can't go. And hopefully she doesn't suspect anything. And hopefully we can still convince her to go to Applejack's.... Sigh, there's a lot left to chance. Oh well. I'll just stick to the plan and hopefully nothing goes wrong...)


(How can everything go so wrong?!? Not only did Pinkie see all of us acting strange but we so vague, evasive and strange that Pinkie lost all faith in us and de-friended us!....... were our bonds that weak? Are we that dismiss-able?.... Am I?.... There's only one way to find the answers. Investigate! Carefully...)

Even the new to the social scene pony knew that it was a bad idea to ask such serious questions in the middle of a party. So the lavender pony put aside these burning questions and made sure the pink mare had a lot of fun.



As the party was just finishing, cake eaten, punch all drank, and everyone couldn't dance anymore, the lavender mare walked up to the pink one and sat next to her.

Pinkie Pie Pie was enjoying the after-glow of a good party, watching her friends as they sat around chatting with each other. As soon as she saw the lavender unicorn come over with a small frown and concerned face, she knew it was question and answer time. While she loved playing 20 questions, she had a feeling of what this topic was going to be about.

“Pinkie Pie?.... Why... did you think we didn't want to be your friends anymore?” Blue eyes couldn't hold purple as their owner rubber her right fore-leg against left while the lavender pony tried to peer into a pink face.

“Well, I, ah, because, well.... Before, in another town, I tried to settle down and have lots of fun. You know I always invite everypony to all my parties, but after awhile some didn't come to my parties anymore. I tried to find out why not and at first they gave reasons, which turned into excuses, then they just avoided me altogether! I kept trying to find out why but before I got any answers they had somepony else come and tell me to leave them alone. I thought the same thing was happening here and so I decided to cut to the chase, how can you cut a chase?, and not invite you guys to any more parties or be friends anymore before you could do that to me.” Blue eyes misted over as they looked towards at her friends who all were listening in rapt silence.

“But I do want to be you friend! I was so sad that I couldn't be your friend that I made made, like built from things I found in my room, which is odd that I had some turnips around but still, made new friends! And they weren't half as nice as you guys are.” At this point, Pinkie Pie wasn't the only one with tears in her eyes as the others came closer to the party mare.

“You are important to me! All of you! And I promise to never doubt you again!” At this everyone joined in for a group hug, happy to finally know what caused such a saddening misunderstanding.





When it was time to head home, Twilight offered to help Pinkie Pie with carrying her presents back to the bakery. While she knew the pink mare would probably be fine carrying it all home, she still had one last question to ask her crush. Twilight had asked Rainbow Dash about these 'creepy town friends' Pinkie was having a party with, and was a little worried when there were only four made-up friends (with none of them sounding like the lavender mare).

As the two friends trotted along the quiet roads on the way to the bakery, Twilight tried to think of the best way to ask the question. It didn't help that Pinkie Pie was actually rather quiet as well as they walked along, distracting the unicorn with curiosity about why her friend wasn't her usual chatty-self.

“Pinkie Pie? Actually, I have one more question about what happened today.” Twilight peered at the mare next to her from the corner of her eyes.

Pinkie had a feeling that she'll always remember today as both the best and worse day ever. She wondered briefly as to what exactly Twilight wanted to know about but decided it was most likely part of the worse day ever.

“Yes, Twilight?” Pinkie looked at the mare next to her with only a small grin on her face.

“I asked Rainbow earlier... she said you only made four 'friends' and gave a little description as to what each looked like and acted like.... It almost seems like … you made each of our friends... except for … me.” Twilight looked to the ground, worried about why she was left out of the make-believe friends.

The pink mare sighed. There was no way she could get out explaining of this one without going into some of her hidden feelings for the lavender mare. But she knew she had to try.





“I couldn't pretend that some random object was you. You're too important to me for that. I mean, all of our friends are important, but it just didn't feel right to make something to take your place....” Pinkie couldn't look at the mare next to her as she stated this and looked forwards instead.

“Oh. Um. You mean a lot to me too Pinkie. Well, you all do, but ah. Yeah.” Twilight gave a small blush as she stared at the ground.

Since she was studying the ground so thoroughly, she didn't notice Pinkie's surprise or short rapid hopping session at the news that Twilight liked Pinkie in a potentially special way as well.

(Now Pinkie Pie, you don't know if she feels the EXACT same way or if you are just her bestest best friend ever.... Though if she thinks your important to her, maybe she didn't mind the kiss in the desert. Ohhh, this is so exciting. This is so totally the BEST DAY EVER!)


The two friends stayed quiet the rest of the trip home, lost in their own thoughts, though both were much happier than at the start of their journey. After helping Pinkie Pie put away all the gifts, Twilight walked slowly back to the library. Spike had already left for home awhile ago while the librarian had helped the party pony with her gifts.

Twilight was so distracted with her thoughts that she didn't notice when Spike tried to get her attention about what took her so long and merely went straight to bed.

As she laid in bed, she rested her head on her hooves as she thought about the last conversation with the pink mare.

(Ugh, that was the perfect chance to see if she likes me like I like her. Why can't I seem to convey it to her? Three simple words. I've read thousands of words, why can't I say three simple ones? Sigh. At least I know she thinks I'm important to her...)

Author's Note:

Sorry it's rather long, but I couldn't figure a good place to pause/stop and break it up. Hope everyone is liking it so far!

Like the glimpses into TaviScratch? :ajsmug: I have a story planned for them, which promises to be really interesting. It should be coming out after the next story I place on here which would be about the CMC. :pinkiehappy: Enjoy!