• Published 6th Jul 2013
  • 6,547 Views, 150 Comments

The Party Animal and the Bookworm - Wolfie 03



There's a new unicorn in town and she's just learning about friendship, something that the local pink baker excels at. Pinkie's mission, to bring the joy of friendship to Twilight even if she actually hopes for more.

  • ...
7
 150
 6,547

Trusting Pinkie Pie - Edited!

In the room above the local bakery known as Sugarcube Corner, Pinkie Pie woke up suddenly and bounced out of bed with a bang and a light rain of confetti. She hopped over to the bathroom where she checked her mane to make sure it looked just right. Seeing nothing out of place and just as bouncy as ever, she gave a happy nod before exiting the room.

(It's an important day for Twilight and I'm going to help make sure everything is perfectly perfect! And what better way than to make the most perfectest food ever?) The pink baker hopped down the stairs to the kitchen.



“GOOODDD morning everypony! Who's up for some baking?” Pinkie Pie nearly shouted as she busted through the swinging door leading to the kitchen. What she saw gave her a slight (only a very small fraction of a second) pause. Mr. and Mrs. Cake were galloping back and forth in the kitchen baking up a storm.


(Oooohh... a baked storm. How does anypony bake a storm? Oh oh! Chocolate chips for rain maybe, and some cotton candy for the clouds or do they just use a storm cake mold? And icing for lightning! I can't believe no one's made one yet! Ohhhh, they sure have a lot of baked goods made already. I know they make really yummy delicious food, but have they tested it for royalty? I wouldn't want anything to go wrong for the visit from the Princess, Twilight would be so upset if something did go wrong... Well, better safe than sorry!) And with that, Pinkie Pie bit into a nearby chocolate cake.

Soon she was mowing her way through all the baked goods.

“Pinkie! Deary, what are you DOING?!” Mrs. Cake shouted as she paused in her baking.

“Well, I'm making sure that everything tastes just super-riffic because if it's not then the Princess would be sad and that would make Twilight sad and I don't like seeing my friends sad and everyone is my friend and ...” Pinkie Pie continued her tirade as she ate through more of the baked foods.

Mrs. Cake gave a panicked look to her husband as they doubled their efforts to try and have something to present to the Princess.


Soon the door opened and the local librarian walked in, checking on the status of everypony in town.

“Hi Mr. and Mrs. Cake! How's it coming along?” Twilight asked as she stepped into the store.

“Uhh, it would be coming a little better if if uh....” Mrs. Cake stammered as she tried to think of how to phrase what Pinkie Pie was doing.

“Pinkie! What are you doing? Those sweets are supposed to be for the Princess!” Twilight cried as she looked at the pink mare who had icing all over her face.

“I know. That's why I'm tasting them. Somepony needs to make sure everything is tasty enough to touch the royal tongue!” Pinkie demonstrated with her own tongue out as she stood above a table that used to hold many delicious baked goods.

“And I, Pinkie Pie, declare that these treats are fit for a King! Or a Queen. Or a Princess!” Pinkie declared as she was about to taste test a very yummy looking strawberry cake that was sitting on the counter nearby. She paused as Twilight started to get mad at her, though reflex caused her to eat the cake anyways.


(I was only trying to make sure nothing was wrong with the baked very goods... Twilight sure is pretty, even when she's all riled up about the visit, she needs cupcakes! That should help her calm down. Or speed her up. Oh hey look, it's Fluttershy! Ooooh, I actually HEARD heard what she said! Without needing my Pinkie Sense to know what she said. She's getting a little louder over time, Dashie's a good influence on her... OoooOOhhh! Twilight's eyes are sparkling again! She must have found something interesting! GASP! And a BLUSH! I want to make her blush! She's even cuter than cute and -)


“Would you like one Pinkie?” Came a quiet voice interrupting the party pony's monologue. As Pinkie glanced towards her shy friend she noticed what was in Fluttershy's pink mane and groaned.

“Yuck! A Parasprite? No way! Now I have to find a trombone!” (And at least half a dozen other instruments! Where should I start looking?) The pink mare began to think of all the instruments she would need and where they might be located as she strode to the door.

“A trombone?” Twilight asked, even more confused than usual at the party mare, and this was just after being told that she had been taste-testing everything, which wasn't really necessary.

“Yeah, you know, uurrRRppherm~!” And with that Pinkie hopped out to find instruments, leaving two very confused ponies and two slightly less stressed bakers behind.


(Ok Pinkie Pie, where can we find instruments..?. We'll need a trombone, maracas, tambourines, an accordion... I think I know where that one is... Oh of all the days for a Parasprite infestation! It took Las Pegasus three days to get rid of them and they had tons of instruments all over the place! It's an important day for Twilight, and by golly, I'll make sure nothing wrecks it for her!) Pinkie Pie thought as she trotted quickly to the market place. She knew most of the stores, but one never knew what you could turn up suddenly. The only place that had any instruments was the Prank Palace, and they only had a bazooka.



(Oohh, this is bad... Hey, there's the Boutique! Maybe Rarity has an accordion, it's the most important one and she is rather generous...)

“Rarity!? Do you have an accordion?” Pinkie asked in the doorway of the Boutique, but nopony heard her, they were too busy cooing over the Parasprites they had near them.

“Grrr...” (What does anypony see in those anyways? Don't they know how bad things are going to get if I don't find some instruments fast?!) Pinkie Pie was slowly losing her cool at her friends' reaction and not-so helpfulness at trying to get rid of the infestation.



So Pinkie decided to go door to door to try and find instruments for her quest. While it was strange for most of the citizens to have the pink pony knock on their door asking about instruments, they had known Pinkie Pie for a few years now and were willing to accept her strangeness. Unfortunately, most Ponyvillians weren't actually all that musical and couldn't help her in her quest.

It was by chance that she found a pony who had an accordion. A strange unicorn stallion with an orange-red mane and pale white fur was walking through the market place, on his way home from his music class. Pinkie Pie was pretty sure the stallion's name was Alex, though a lot of ponies called him Weird Alex because of some songs he made.


(Which is pretty cool, I mean, he made his own MUSIC? That's pretty neat and impressive and it was a different kind of music than a pony normally hears and I loved the one about eating! Eat it! Just eat it! Ooohh....Oh right! Now I have to find the other instruments, but no pony has any and it's getting late …. NO! I must continue to search for the sake of Ponyville! I can't rest knowing that every second is a second more for the Parasprites to multiply! I'll visit all the late night shops and clubs, maybe they have something.)



And so, Pinkie Pie spent the night looking in all the shops and even some garages and sheds in the town before making her way to Sweet Apple Acres just as the sun was beginning to rise to start another day. She spent the entire night looking and hadn't had any luck yet, though due to her emergency stashes of cupcakes, Pinkie Pie was able to have energy to continue her search.

She walked up to the Apple's home and started to knock to get anypony's attention.

“Hellooooo? Anypony home?”

'“What'n tarnation? Pinkie Pie? What are ya doin' here so early?” Applejack asked as she came over from the barn, cart attached to her sides as she was getting ready to begin her morning chores.

“Hi Applejack! Do you have a harmonica? It's super-duper extremely important! Doya doya doya?” Pinkie asked as she leaned in close to the orange earth pony.

Applejack stumbled back a little to preserve personal space (normally non-existent when around the pink mare, but one had to try) as she looked at the party mare in confusion.

“Huh? What do ya need a harmonica fer?” Applejack asked a little surprised at the sudden demand.

“Weeelllll~~ Twilight came over yesterday and was checking on the Cakes about the cakes and pies and cookies (which were delicious!) when Fluttershy came and actually spoke! Like normal tone of voice and everything and she was showing Twilight this creature called a Parasprite and I-” An orange hoof cut off the party pony's explanation as the farmer sighed.

“Sugarcube, Ah think Ah have ah harmonica in the house, let me go git for ya. Just... wait here ah sec, ok?” With a shake of her head at having expected a normal explanation from the pink earth pony, Applejack unhooked herself from the cart, walked into the house and found the harmonica her family kept for the Apple Family Reunions.



“Here ya go Sugar. Good luck with... whatever it was yer doin'.” Applejack bid her friend goodbye as she walked towards the nearby apple trees to start on her chores.

Pinkie Pie jumped up and down rapidly in place for a minute, excited at having found another instrument. (Ehe he he he! This is a good start! I gotta show the others! Hey look, there's the Boutique again! )


(Why does nopony want to help?!? Don't they understand the importance of a banjo? I know! I'll go to the smartest smarty smart pants pony in all of Ponyville! Twilight will know how important this is and maybe she'll know where to find some Maracas! Where is that pony anyways?... hmmmmm)


“Twilight! You have to help me! We don't have much time!” Pinkie yelled as she ran alongside her friends who were all running towards the EverFree Forest for whatever reason.

“You're right we don't have much time! The Princess will be here soon!” Twilight cried as she barely contained her panic at the situation.

“Exactly! That's why you have to help me find some maracas!” Pinkie Pie asked with a tilt of her head, happy that her smarty smart pants crush knew the importance of what she was doing.

“Maracas? Pinkie, we've got much bigger problems than missing maracas.”

“Gasp! You're right, getting a tuba has to be our number one goal! Follow me!” Pinkie said happily, glad for Twilight's help and wonderful suggestion.

( I can't believe I forgot the Tuba! Hey... where's Twilight? )Pinkie ran back to her friend, though since she didn't want to just turn around again and get all woundy roundy, she merely ran backwards.

“I saaiiiddd, follow me!” Pinkie Pie looked at her friends in confusion.

“Pinkie Pie, you are so random...” Rainbow Dash stated in annoyance at the pink mare, unable to follow her train of thought or why she was collecting instruments.

“And you all are so stubborn!” Pinkie Pie knew she wasn't going to get much farther with her friends, they were being super unhelpful for whatever reason and left them to do whatever it was they were trying to do.


(I hope they don't think that rolling a big ol' ball of Parasprites into the forest will make them go away. They only need one to be a pain and that's if the others don't just fly back, hungry for more...Oh well. On to the next instrument!)


Pinkie Pie ran back to town, determined to show her friends how important this was.

As luck would have it, Octavia Melody was having a practice session of the Canterlot Philharmonic Orchestra in her home with Beauty Brass, Parish Nadermane and Frederick Horseshoepin in attendance. Just as they were about to start playing, a loud series of knocks sounded at the door.

*knoooockk knock knock knock knock knock... knock knock knock knock knock.... knock knock knockknockknock knock knock knockknockknockknockknock....knock knock knock knockknock knock knockknockknockknock knock … knockknock knock knock knock!*

“..... I apologize. Allow me to get the door so that we may get to practice quickly.” Octavia said as she set her double bass against her seat and walked to the door.

“Not so quickly if it's a certain blue maned unicorn...” Frederick muttered to the others as they watched Octavia answer the door. However everyone winced upon hearing the hyper voice replying.

“Oh no... not Pinkie Pie.” Parish murmured as he put a hoof to his eyes.

Beauty Brass only rolled her eyes in response to Parish's dramatics when suddenly a certain pink pony was right in front of her leaning in closely and looking directly into her eyes.

“Hiya Beauty Brass! What a lovely sousaphone you have! Can I barrow it, it's for the safety of Ponyville! I'll return it as soon as I repel this infestation we have of Parasprites, I Pinkie Promise!” Pinkie Pie asked in rapid fashion with a smile never leaving her face as she made the motions of the Pinkie Promise.

“Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye!”

“I'm sorry Beauty. She slipped past me as soon as I told her how the orchestra was over for practice.” Octavia apologized as she stepped up next to the pink pony and looked at Beauty Brass.

“It's alright Octavia. Um, I guess it's fine Pinkie Pie. You're not going to do anything dangerous with it are you?” Beauty asked as she took the sousaphone off of her middle and handed it to Pinkie.

“Nope! I'm just going to use it and other instruments to repel the invaders! See you guys later and good luck with your practice!” Pinkie yelled as she zoomed out of the house leaving the four others stunned at the sudden speed.

“I suppose that this means we won't get to practice today either. If it's not one thing in this town it's another....” Frederick stated as he got up and walked to the door.

“If we ever do get the chance to practice I'll be in Canterlot, enjoying some fine wine. Heaven forbid we get ready for the Gala this year...” He finished with a mutter as the others also got up and followed him out the door.

As Octavia watched from the door as her friends headed for the train station, a white unicorn wearing purple glasses walked up.


“Hey Tavi, I thought you said you guys were practicing for the Gala today?” Vinyl asked as stepped up to the door. Octavia stepped back to give Vinyl Scratch room to enter their shared home.

“Well I was, but Pinkie Pie needed Beauty's sousaphone for whatever reason right this instant and so we had to cancel practice.”

Vinyl lifted her shades to get a better look at the gray mare.

"Does this mean that I don't have to hide out in my room for the rest of the day? I get to hang out with the luckiest pony in Equestria?" Vinyl asked with a smile as she closed the door behind the pair as they walked into the living room.

"Why would I be the luckiest pony? And yes, this means you don't have to 'hide out' in your room for the rest of the day. Honestly, you make me sound like an evil step-mother or some such." Octavia rolled her eyes and smiled back at the unicorn.

"Because you live with me, DJ Pon-3! The coolest of the cool and the hottest of the hot!" Vinyl laughed as she wrapped a fore-hoof around the earth pony's shoulders. Octavia merely smiled and shook in her head at the white unicorn's usual antics.


Pinkie Pie ran around and asked everypony once more if they had any instruments to spare. After pestering Granny Smith at the farm (who had been taking a nap at the time), she got a banjo and she had to express order cymbals. Luckily it was a very speedy express peagasus delivering the package and soon enough the cymbals arrived from Canterlot within ten minutes. Pinkie Pie was so excited about the cymbals that she just HAD to show them to her friends who would surely by now help her with her quest to save Equestria!


(Why won't they stop and listen to me when I try to explain what is happening?! It's like they have the super thick icing mix in their ears which they don't look like they do since none of their ears were flat on their heads due to the heavy weight of the icing which is really yummy but can't be used on the more delicate cakes since it's so heavy, it's only good for the heavy duty cakes for the extreme cakers... Oh, I hope my cymbals aren't bent; they aren't half as good when they don't have the perfect cupcake top shape... Oh good. They're fine, just a little dusty, which will be taken care of quickly for what I have in mind for all these instruments. I'll just have to play them all myself since nopony else is helping... I wonder if I have enough instruments? Hmmmm, trombone, sousaphone, cymbals, banjo, harmonica, accordion..... I think I need one more! Where could I find some tambourines....?)


Pinkie Pie walked through town, looking left and right in hopes of finding the last instrument she'll need to defend her town. As she walked around, she heard the sounds of a circus on the edge of town. It wasn't a very musical circus, having mostly singing voices, but she could hear the sounds of the one instrument she needed to collect playing along with the singers.



After watching the circus perform their act, which was mostly acrobats and tumblers, the tambourine player came back on with a small four pony choir who sang in a tone reminiscent of a native culture of the San Palomino Desert.

Pinkie was enchanted by the music and once it was done, she was stomping her hooves the hardest of the surrounding ponies while managing to bounce in place and cheering quite loudly.

The performers were a little shocked at this display of happiness, but they took their bows all the same. And when that same pink mare that was so pleased with their performance asked for their help, they didn't mind loaning her all the extra tambourines that they could spare to help with a Parasprite infestation; though they decided to leave soon afterwards, considering Ponyville's latest trouble.

On the way back to her room above the bakery where she had put all the other instruments for safe keeping until everything was ready, Pinkie Pie noticed her friends along the way... as well as the Parasprites. She tried one last time to get their attention before giving them up as a lost cause in helping her with the infestation.



(Hmmm, I don't think I've ever seen Parasprites eat stuff and not food... My Pinkie Sense is telling me this has something to do with my cute little unicorn and her need for magical remedies... Oh well. I'll fix everything for her in a jiffy! But wait! Rarity had a clarinet didn't she?! And if the Parasprites are eating things now instead of just food... don't worry clarinet! I'll save you! I wonder if clarinets taste good? Hmm, has anypony made an orchestra dessert yet? Ooohhh! More ideas to try! I bet the drums taste the best!)


(Alright, now that I have all the instruments that I could carry and find on short notice, let's put them all together to save the day! Yay! Okie-dokie, so this one goes here, and I'll put that one there, and hang these guys from my sides and...)



“You saved my reputation with Princess Celestia. And even more important, you saved Ponyville! ........................................ Or not.” Twilight stated as they looked around the mostly destroyed town.

Pinkie pulled out the one instrument she couldn't fit in her mis-mash of a band, and played the trombone in a short rift.

“Pinkie, who are you playing for?” Twilight asked as she walked up to the pink pony who was putting the trombone back from here she plucked it from (which is someplace Twilight didn't really want to think about at the time).

“For anyone who's listening, silly. Anyways, as soon as I give back all these instruments I'll totally help with rebuilding the town, I've always said it needed more of a dessert look.” Pinkie Pie said while holding her hooves in a frame shape to look at the various parts of the town.

“Uhm, darling, why don't you take care of the instruments and we'll take care of the town, since you were such a help?” Rarity asked after a moment of shock and forcing herself to remain calm at the suggestion of a 'dessert-looking' town.

“Okie-dokie-lokie!”


Once everything was put back to its proper way, Twilight invited Pinkie Pie over to the library in order to learn more about these 'Parasprites'.

“So, Pinkie, how did you know about these creatures in the first place?” Twilight began her question session as she hovered a clip board (with parchment of course!) and quill to record Pinkie's answers.

“Oh that's easy! Las Peagasus had an infestation of them years and years ago while I was visiting! Not that I caused it, but I got to help get them out of town!” Pinkie Pie responded as she half watched Spike try to clean up the library and half watched the unicorn in front of her.

“Hmm, I haven't read anything about that... but wait! You were visiting Las Pagasus? When – Why was that?” Twilight asked as she wrote a side note to look into Las Pagasus' news to find a reference for the incident.

“Oh well, I grew up on a rock farm not far from Ponyville when I discovered my special talent. While working with my family became a little more fun, I knew it was my destiny to make lots and lots of other ponies happy and I couldn't really do that from the farm, so I went on a journey of discovery and of joy! I traveled over all of Equestria and learned lots of things! Like in Baltimare I learned...” While Pinkie Pie began to recount some of her adventures before settling down in Ponyville, the quill that Twilight was levitating flew across the parchment in an attempt to keep up with the hyper speed of Pinkie's speech.

Author's Note:

I had to leave most of the time jumps in the editing/updating of this one, since it took place during Swarm of the Century mostly, so hopefully it's not as bad or sudden as before. If it is, sorry, haven't perfected my inside of episode writing yet.