• Published 6th Jul 2013
  • 6,546 Views, 150 Comments

The Party Animal and the Bookworm - Wolfie 03



There's a new unicorn in town and she's just learning about friendship, something that the local pink baker excels at. Pinkie's mission, to bring the joy of friendship to Twilight even if she actually hopes for more.

  • ...
7
 150
 6,546

Misjudging Others -Edited

Pinkie Pie laid on the ground in a heap, next to a broken pink machine with propellers on top, everything bent out of shape. She was lying on the ground from where she had fallen, not hurt physically but hurt emotionally as her attempts at hanging out with Rainbow Dash and her new-old friend Gilda were met with failure.

(What a mean grumpy mean meany pants... *sniffle* Come on Pinkie Pie! No sad frowny faces here! What's the best way to cheer up a mopey Pie? Visiting the smartest cutest pony in Ponyville of course! She'll know what to do about this grumpy griffon!)


It was the start of another regular day at the town library, Twilight Sparkle having just finished checking the library for any would-be pranks. She checked all the ink wells for invisible ink, made sure all the books were fine and in proper order on the shelves, and that all the doors were clear of any traps waiting for unsuspecting ponies to walk through.

While this may seem extreme to some ponies, especially considering that this took at least two hours to do, it was necessary when Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie were on the loose. Twilight even had to keep checking on Spike who was an easy target for the pranksters, and Twilight didn't want any other extra scrolls sent to Princess Celestia by mistake again.


(Ah, some peace and quiet. Perhaps I can start reading the precursor to my next assignment...)Twilight mused as she floated a rather large book over to her desk.


Just as she opened it up to the first page, the door slammed open and Twilight flinched, though it was a small one. She had a feeling that she wasn't going to be able to have a peaceful afternoon that day to begin with and had expected something to happen. As she looked over to see her newest visitor, she saw a very annoyed Pinkie Pie stomp her way indoors and over to the lavender mare.


While Twilight was tempted to start her reading, the annoyed, dampened air around the normally happy-go-lucky mare gave her pause. Though once Pinkie Pie started to rant at high speeds about some friend of Rainbow Dash's, Twilight rolled her eyes and looked to her book, thinking that the pink mare was once again trying to persuade her to be a more active pony like their cyan friend.

“... And then she was all like 'Why don't you make like a bee and buzz off!' which isn't even funny and I was totally like 'Oh my gosh, she's such a meany mean pants!' and...”

At this point Twilight sighed, resigned to not being able to focus on her book. From what she had managed to hear even though it was all said in high speeds, Pinkie Pie was having trouble with a new friend of Rainbow Dash's and came to the purple mare for help with it. Though Twilight wasn't sure Pinkie Pie would like the kind of help she could offer.

(Well, this would be a good chance to grow in my friendship studies. Learning to share one's friends... Though she was spending a lot of time with Rainbow Dash...) Twilight frowned a little at this, finding that she was mildly annoyed at the focus that the pink mare was giving Rainbow Dash.

Once the purple mare realized that she was getting annoyed at this fact the frown became a little deeper, aimed at herself this time. Twilight didn't know where this new train of thought was coming from and shook her head to focus on the more pressing matter of the hyper mare in the normally quiet library.

(She'll just have to learn to share her friends and not judge somepony, or griffon in this case, after the first meeting. She won't like this one bit...)Twilight's heart twinged a little at having to say this to (and maybe even hurt) her party-loving friend. Unsure where this uneasy feeling was coming from, Twilight turned from her book to look at the pink pony.

“You know what I think Pinkie Pie...?”


“Well, that could have gone better.” Spike said as he settled back down onto the staircase, reading his book on how to cook gem treats.

“Sigh. This is Pinkie Pie we're talking about. You've seen how she acts around others, especially to possible new friends. I'm sure this 'Gilda' just got thrown off by how Pinkie acts and Pinkie just misinterpreted Gilda's reaction. If Pinkie Pie hasn't realized how she comes across to others by now, somepony had to tell her before it was too late.” Twilight said as she turned back to her book and began to read once more.

But the studious pony couldn't focus on it, instead she could only see how Pinkie was annoyed and squeaked stomped out (she wasn't sure how such a movement was possible, but it was Pinkie Pie we're talking about). Twilight tried in vain to continue reading, but the uneasy feeling came back and would show her the image of the hurt party pony, distracting her from the book. After a few more minutes of trying to continue her studies, the purple mare gave up the attempt and stood.

Twilight sighed and closed her book with magic as she turned to look at her assistant.

“Come on Spike. Let's take a look around town, see this friend of Rainbow's and what others think of her.”


After walking around town and asking everypony she saw, Twilight didn't know anything at all about Gilda. The pair went around town asking everyone and no one knew anything about a new griffon in town.

(It's like she didn't even try to meet anyone at all... Maybe Rainbow and her have been too busy catching up...)Twilight nodded once to herself as she continued to walk through town, waving to anypony she knew, which were the ones that came to Pinkie Pie's parties... Which was pretty much everypony. She was pleased to at least recognize most of the ponies around town by sight if not by name, feeling as though she was getting better at the whole 'friendship' thing.


Suddenly there was a blur of pink and an invitation was at placed in front of Twilight's hooves. Twilight used her magic to pick up and open the cream-colored envelope, though she could already guess at what was inside.

(Yep, an invitation to a party. A 'Welcome to Ponyville, Gilda' party huh? I guess she took my advice to heart then.) Twilight thought with a smirk as she turned around and headed for Sugar Cube Corner.

“What is it Twilight? What was that blur? Why are we heading this way now?” Spike fell silent as Twilight showed him the invitation.

“Oh, a party! Cool. What are we waiting for? Let's go!” Spike shouted as he jumped onto Twilight's back and pointed towards the bakery.

Twilight shook her head with a laugh and picked up the pace a little.




(Ah, perhaps someone here has meet Gilda. Let's see...) With that thought Twilight asked the others if they had encountered the griffon. She was about to give up her quest after asking some of the others (it was like the she didn't exist before today!) when she heard that Flutterhsy had met her earlier that day.

“You met Gilda right? What's she like?” Twilight asked as she leaned in a little towards the shier mare.

“Oh, um... I'll tell you later Twilight...” Fluttershy quietly said as she headed towards the organizer of the party.

(Hmmm, that's odd. Normally Fluttershy would have something (usually nice) to say about anyone. I'm starting to have a bad feeling about this...)





As the griffon of honor came to the party, Twilight wasn't sure what to make of her. She seemed like a nice griffon, if a little stiff but that may have been due to having a party thrown for her suddenly.

Twilight felt bad for the griffon, she seemed to be catching all the pranks placed at the party. Most of the others had to put up with a week of increased pranking, and knew that both Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie were the main culprits to said pranks, so they cautiously did everything at the party. Gilda, however, didn't seem to suspect any pranks and kept glaring at Pinkie Pie for whatever reason.

Twilight became concerned as she watched Gilda get more and more annoyed at each prank, and while she laughed along, she was starting to worry about there being one too many pranks being done to the griffon.

(I thought Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie said Gilda liked pranks? Maybe she likes to prank others and has little patience or acceptance for being pranked... That's not very good, but maybe I'm over-thinking things...)

The turning point of Twilight's internal debate about the Gilda's qualities came when Pinkie Pie rolled out a large cake for everyone to share and Gilda pushed Spike out of the way in a harsh way.

Luckily the dragon was getting used to similar behavior from being near Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash, and didn't make much of it aside from that the brown griffon really wanted some cake. Which made sense, the cake did look really good, but Twilight was starting to think it wasn't just that.

After that point, Twilight made sure that she and Spike stayed farther away from the griffon who kept on getting madder and madder as the party went on. The studious pony was also starting to wonder how many more pranks were placed around or if Gilda was just really unlucky that way.



At Gilda's final outburst and the resulting confrontation between her and Rainbow Dash, Twilight gave up the hope that Gilda wasn't a 'grumpy mean meany pants' and stood by her friends facing the griffon.



Once Gilda stormed out and Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash made up (not that there was much to make up), Twilight walked up to Pinkie Pie a little hesitantly, nervous because of the mistake she had made concerning Gilda.

(Gosh, I can't believe how wrong I was. I even misjudged Pinkie Pie! Sigh. I hope she forgives me.)


After apologizing and the subsequent forgiving, Twilight tried to enjoy the party and made sure to send the latest friendship report to Princess Celestia. But she couldn't stop thinking of how much she had wronged the pink pony and kept a close eye on Pinkie Pie to make sure she was doing ok during the rest of the party.

While watching Pinkie play games with eveyrpony else, Twilight tried to ignore the twinges in her chest. She couldn't get the image of an upset Pinkie Pie out of her head nor could she get rid of the uneasy feelings it brought. The purple pony tried to focus on how Pinkie was doing fine now and didn't seem upset at all, but there was a tiny voice in the back of her mind asking 'what if?'.

(I guess this is a double lesson for me. To stick by your friends and to trust Pinkie Pie more. Well that and to get the full picture before passing any judgment or advice...)

Author's Note:

Hopefully this is a little better than last time. :)