• Published 6th Jul 2013
  • 6,510 Views, 150 Comments

The Party Animal and the Bookworm - Wolfie 03



There's a new unicorn in town and she's just learning about friendship, something that the local pink baker excels at. Pinkie's mission, to bring the joy of friendship to Twilight even if she actually hopes for more.

  • ...
7
 150
 6,510

A Day in Cloudsdale - Edited

“Well, I guess we know what Rainbow will be doing for the rest of the day. Did you guys want to stay up here or head on home?” Twilight turned to her friends as the stadium emptied out around them, the pegasi flying off to enjoy the rest of their day.


Rainbow Dash had just won the Best Young Flier competition and was flying off to enjoy her day with the Wonderbolts, leaving her friends up to their own devises.


“Well darling, if you could cast that cloud-walking spell once more, I would like another tour of Cloudsdale. I was, ah-hem, a bit distracted the first time around.” Rarity sheepishly said as she ran a hoof through her mane.

“Oh well, um, if you want, I could show you around... if that's ok with you.” Fluttershy asked from behind her mane, as she looked towards her friends with one eye. She was nervous about whether or not she had been too loud during Rainbow Dash's performance and as soon as the rainbow maned flier was out of sight, hid behind her long pink bangs once more.

“Sounds good to me. I'll come with y'all, if'in ya don't mind.”

“Oh, no, it's fine. I don't mind at all... I mean, if it's ok with the others....”

“We don't mind at all darling.”

“Oh, let me cast the spell first before you try walking around.” Everyone laughed for a moment as they realized they made all the plans without the key element that would allow it to work.

Twilight closed her eyes in concentration as she replicated the cloud-walking spell for the gray-white unicorn; after a bright flash of light, the lavender unicorn smiled and nodded to the fashionista, signaling that it was safe to exit the light purple balloon.



After a quick test to make sure it worked, Rarity got out of the balloon basket and walked over to the others. Applejack grabbed a rope that acted as the tether for the balloon and tied it to a post just outside the stadium for safe keeping. Just as Twilight was nodding her approval of the parking job, a pink hoof grabbed her purple one and towed the unicorn away.



“Ohh! This is the perfect opportunity to show you how you need to get out more! I'll show you all the best spots in Cloudsdale! There's the stadium where they have the Best Young Flier Competition, which we just came from silly!, so that's one down. Then there's where Commander Hurricane and Private Pansy worked, and then there's...” And so the pink mare pulled the lavender one along the cloud roads, chatting away the whole time.


The three others looked at one another before laughing at Pinkie Pie's antics and walking away to have their own tour of Cloudsdale, led by Fluttershy who was content to stay on the clouds and walk next to her friends during the tour.


“But Pinkie, how do you know where everything is? You can't have visited before... right?” Twilight looked at the other mare with one brow raised.

Pinkie Pie giggled while still holding the purple hoof.

“No silly. You only found that super cool cloud walking spell today, don't you remember? I know where everything is because other peagasusususes told me ALL about the coolest places. Well, that and I have a Pinkie Sense for Fun-a-fun fun!”

Twilight rolled her eyes and allowed herself to be pulled along. Their first stop was at the Commander Hurricane Museum, a place where lots of young fillies and colts often had school field trips. There was a group going through at that moment, seven young pegasi and a teacher who was lecturing about the various parts of the building.



“Oooo. Did you know that all the military planning took place here? Including the decision to find new lands which would soon be Equestria? Or that this room is where Commander Hurricane was first promoted and chosen to lead the peagasuses?” Pinkie asked as she and Twilight followed the flow of visitors passing through the central command room.

“No, I didn't know that Pinkie.” Twilight smirked as she watched her friend tilt her head towards the teacher standing nearby.

“Oh! Oh! How about how Commander Hurricane met Private Pansy in this very hallway as young fillies in the military, bonding almost imminently and stayed life-long friends since that day?”

“Wow, really?”

“Yeppery!”

Twilight tried to contain her giggles with a hoof across her muzzle as Pinkie's ears honed onto more of the teacher's lecture before flicking back to the sound of giggles.

“Hey Twilight, what's so funny? Ooo, did I miss a good joke? Shoot, I love hearing new jokes!”

Twilight couldn't hold it anymore and leaned against the pink earth mare as she laughed quietly.

“No no, you didn't miss the joke; though if you want I could try to think of one.”

Blue eyes lit up at the thought of a new joke and the fact that the lavender mare was enjoying herself and Pinkie rapidly nodded her head while making sure Twilight had her whole attention as she told a joke.

“Hmmmm.... Ok, how about this one? Commander Hurricane walks up to Private Pansy and asks, 'What's the matter soldier? You're looking a little green'!” Twilight looked at the party mare with a small grin, sheepish at her attempt of a joke.

“Oooohhhh! 'A little green'! Ahahahahahaha!” Pinkie began to laugh a little too loudly for a museum as she leaned back against the unicorn beside her.

Twilight chuckled at her friend's reaction, though she looked nervously around them at the other visitors who gave small glares at the pair. The teacher in particular led her class farther along with a sniff of disdain in their direction.

“Oh, that was a good one Twilight! What do you want to do now? Want to keep looking here or go to some other really cool places?” Pinkie stood back upright as she looked at the unicorn in curiosity, wanting to make sure they had fun at all times.

“Well, we could visit other places if you want.” Twilight looked at the hyper mare with a smirk, consciously aware that they may have annoyed the other patrons too much with their laughing and trying to leave before they got into trouble.

“Okie-dokie-lokie, let's go!” After a quick nod at the suggestion, Pinkie grabbed Twilight's hoof once more and lead the way outside and further down the cloud street.





They visited the current mayor's office, weather factory and flying training center; though all of the tours were shorter and less informative since there were no tour groups nearby to eavesdrop on.

After the tours, they went to the market and had lunch at a cafe called 'Cafe De Sol'. It was different compared to what they usually had since the cooks used storm power to make everything. It gave the food a fluffy-weather like taste, reminding the two ponies of a spring rain.

Just as they were finishing their meal of hay fries, baked apples and cherry cupcakes, Pinkie Pie's left hind leg bounced in place, her back got itchy then her right hind leg bounced in place; at the first bounce, Pinkie Pie had stood completely still to focus on what her Pinkie Sense was telling her.

Once it was done, she gave a huge grin to Twilight who had become very curious as to what was going to happen, though at the grin the unicorn became a little weary as well. Pinkie got up and waved a hoof to the librarian to get her to follow along as they searched the nearby pavilions and market.



The pink pony gave an airy laugh as she found what she had been searching for; a party was just getting started in an open air pavilion not far from where they had lunch. Twilight had to shake her head in wonder and smirked as she watched the pink pony bounce ahead of her towards the dance floor.


(Leave it to the definition of a Party Animal to find parties even in a place she's never been... Wait, are those pegasi using weather to make the music?) The scholar pony watched in awe as the pegasi used various clouds and winds to create music; though they did have a few normal instruments specially magicked to stay on the cloud platforms.

They had thunder clouds for drums, winds to play chimes and special pipes and rain clouds to be shaken. Then there was a guitar player, a clarinet player and a trombone player. Twilight was able to watch this interesting mix of sounds create music only for a moment before she was pulled onto the dance floor by the original party pony.

“Let's show these ponies how to really Paarrtaayy~!” Pinkie shouted with a circular wave of her hoof while using her other fore-hoof to pull the reluctant unicorn onto the dance floor.



At first the unicorn was worried of her lack of dancing knowledge but after watching the pink dancing machine bust out crazy moves that boarded on not being not actual dancing but hazards to those around her, Twilight decided to give it a try and dance however she wanted. It helped that a lot of the other dancers were flying in the air above the dance floor and the two friends didn't need to worry about bumping into anyone else.

Pinkie watched with a large smile as her friend shook loose of her worries and began to enjoying herself.

(Good, she's relaxing and dancing how she wants. I knew parties solved everything! Maybe I can figure out a way to get some of these weather instruments down to Ponyville for my onepony band...)






After dancing for a good portion of the party Twilight had to throw in the towel. Being as studious as she was, the unicorn wasn't prepared for long bouts of dancing.

(How in the wide wide world of Equestria can Pinkie still have that much energy? She's been going non-stop and with much wilder moves than myself...I feel bad about doing this, but I can't keep dancing. I'm about to drop... )

“Pinkie Pie? Sorry Pinkie, but I'm just not as energetic as you; I have to sit for a moment or my hooves will fall off.” Twilight began to walk towards chairs placed around the edge for any tired dancers.

Pinkie paused in her dancing (doing a jig with her front hooves as she shuffled along the floor) as she looked towards the unicorn.

“Okie dokie! Let's find a nice place to sit. Wouldn't want anypony's hooves falling off, it would be hard to anything fun then; unless you used your tongue, but then you can't use your tongue for tasting things, like yummy cake!” Pinkie landed back down to all four hooves and trotted over to where Twilight had stopped.

After giving the pink mare a blank stare at how she would have fun without hooves, Twilight came to her senses and shook her head while waving for the party mare to keep enjoying herself.

“No no, you can keep dancing.”

“Nopey dopey! I can dance any ol' time, I only get to hang out with the bestest pony for a certain time here in the cloud city. Besides, I know this really cool place!” Pinkie leaned in a conspiring manner as Twilight gave her a confused look.

“Huh? But I – uh. Sigh. Alright, where is this 'real cool place'?” Twilight raised a brow as she watched the pink mare check that the coast was clear; she had thought they found some of the 'cool places' already.

“Around the water hole.”

“The water hole? What's so great about the water hole?” Twilight felt silly repeating things but couldn't think of how a cloud city could have a water hole let alone features that would make it 'cool'. Pinkie merely giggled with a hoof covering her mouth before responding.

“Nope! But good guess. I'll show you when we get there!”

“..... Huh?” Twilight gave Pinkie a blank stare as the pink mare led the way hopping, with the lavender one following along after giving a shrug and eye roll.


Soon they arrived to the edge of the city where a park had been made to see the lands below and the sunsets. They could see the nearby mountains and Canterlot, as well as the river that lead away from the waterfalls flowing from the mountain city. As sunlight was streaming through the water to make soft rainbows among the mists near the foot of the mountain, there were clouds that seemed to gather on the horizon lighting up in orange and soft red as the sun set ever lower into the sky.




(Too bad that it's not complete sunset yet, but then the sun is lower and there's nice clouds to make it easier to see (ohh, that one looks like a bunny!) and there's no storms or anything.... Boy am I glad to have heard about this park, though maybe I could send a letter to the Princess about setting the sun sooner but I don't think it would make it in time; even I'm not that fast, though if we had brought Spike then I'd definitely could get a letter to her in time, but then Twilight might think something is up...Oh well, hopefully this works just as well...)

“Oh my gosh Pinkie! This is amazing!” Twilight stepped forward as she looked at the scenery before them with a large smile on her face at the sight.

Pinkie hoof pumped with a smirk. “Nailed it!”

“Did you hear about this place from other pegasi as well?” While Twilight had a hard time looking away from the beautiful view below, she was grateful for having managed it to be able to look at the mare next to her. The sunlight gave the earth pony more of a glow than usual as the pink mare smiled at the lavender one, who couldn't form any sound or thought aside from one. (Beautiful.)

The party pony was also at a loss for words, a rare occasion indeed, though she couldn't stop her mind from forming thoughts a mile a minute.

(The sun is just right, making her eyes do her name justice. They sparkle so much when she's lost in thought.....)

It seemed like time had stopped or at least slowed down for the two mares as they got lost in one another's eyes.






“Well Ah'll be; this here's a pretty nice view Fluttershy.”

The two ponies gave small jumps of surprise at the sound of a voice they knew well. They glanced at each other with small blushes before turning to face their friends who were walking into the park while looking at the marvelous view before them. Pinkie Pie had an easier time hiding her blush within her pink coat, so she hopped ahead of Twilight towards their other friends.

“Heya guys! You came for a nice view too huh? Isn't this the neatest neat place to sit?”

“Why hello darling! Did you come for the view as well?”

By this point Twilight managed to rein in her blush as she came forward to meet the others who had stopped a few paces away from the edge to sit and look about the park.

“Well howdy gals! How'd y'all find this park?” The three friends watched as Pinkie Pie hopped around them for a little bit as Twilight kept walking towards them.

“Hi girls. Yes, we were enjoying the view. Pinkie had found this place and it really is amazing.”

“Oh, hi; um, yes, it is.... It's my favorite spot in all of Cloudsdale... When I was a filly, it allowed me to see the ground below since I wasn't old enough to live down on the ground by myself... I hope we weren't interrupting anything...”

“Oh don't worry, you guys weren't interrupting anything. Did you show this to Rainbow Dash before?” Twilight asked as she sat by her friends.

Once the lavender unicorn had taken her seat, the three other friends stopped trying to keep an eye on the pink earth pony and turned to look at the view instead.

Pinkie Pie was still hopping around them with a huge smile on her face; she couldn't contain her happiness of having been lost inside of inquisitive purple eyes. Twilight, on the other hoof, had a hard time not watching the happy pink mare bounce; though it did help that the others had long since learned to tune out some of the party mare's antics.

“Oh! Uhm, yes we use to come here often ….. Especially after I was... Bullied....” Everyone gave the shy pony sympathetic glances while Rarity patted her back.

“At least you had Rainbow Dash to help you.” Rarity stated with a gentle smile, trying to get the shier mare to look at her, wanting to be sure that the cream yellow mare was going to be alright. Fluttershy gave a small smile in return as she looked at her friends.

“Yes.”


The four friends sat near the edge of the park watching the sunset, pleased with the view before them. Pinkie Pie couldn't seem to sit still and kept bouncing around the park. Suddenly there was a rush of wind and an familiar cyan pegasus landed down in front of the four sitting ponies, while the fifth one paused in her bouncing.

“Hey guys. Should have known Fluttershy would show you our secret base.” The yellow mare blushed while peeking from behind her mane.

“Oh! I'm sorry...... You don't mind, do you?... Uhm... Eep...” Rainbow Dash laughed a little at the shy pegasus' reaction as she settled down next to her friends.

“Nah! It's ok. Besides, it is a pretty cool place; I'd have shown them too.”

“Oh, ok.... Um, did you enjoy your day with the Wonderbolts?”

“It. Was. AWESOME!” Rainbow squished her cheeks with her hooves and squealed. The others smiled at the unusual reaction of the cyan pony before turning back to the view below them, while keeping an ear on the conversation near them.

As Rarity, Applejack and Twilight continued to watch the sunset, Rainbow Dash sat next to Fluttershy and asked about the places the friends visited that day. As the cream yellow pony started to go into detail of where they went, the pink pony hopped over to the other side of Rainbow Dash and cut into the conversation every now and then with talk of the places she and Twilight had gone to that day. Rainbow Dash was a little surprised that they had split up but shrugged; it was Pinkie Pie they were talking about, and she had done stranger things.

Once the cyan pegasus got the whole story (this took a while since Pinkie Pie didn't seem to want to go in order of what they saw and would try to get a word in between Fluttershy's, causing more confusion than helping) she realized they had visited a lot of places and were about to head home at this point.



As the friends spent a few more moments in relative peace, Fluttershy kept the impatient blue pony's attention by asking how her day had went; which the cyan mare was more than happy to explain while at the same time reassuring the shy pony who was nervous after having visited old bullying locations during her tour. Pinkie Pie was was running around the park once more, looking at anything that caught her attention but still somehow managing to remind her of a certain book loving mare.





Soon everyone felt that it was time to go and they all headed back for the balloon. Once they untethered it, they floated back to the ground below; Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy helped to guide it back to Ponyville using the extra ropes on it since the evening winds had picked up a little during their stay in Cloudsdale.



They returned the balloon to Cherry Berry, who was grateful that nothing had gone wrong, and the friends went their separate ways.



Before the pink baker could travel more than a few steps the librarian called out to her, making her pause with hope as to what Twilight wanted to talk about. The hyper mare turned to face the unicorn as she trotted up to the party pony, trying to think about the best way to ask to hang out more; she had a fun time learning about a new city with the energetic pony and wanted to do so again soon.

“Pinkie Pie, would you be willing to come by the library in the next week or so and tell me more about the unique aspects of various towns and cities?”

Pinkie thought for a moment, with a hoof to her chin and tilt of her head. She wanted to hang out, but she knew that the bookworm still needed to get out more.

“Sure thing Twilight!” Twilight gave a sigh of relief that the pink mare had agreed to the badly worded request and was about to make arrangements for a time that the earth pony could come by when Pinkie continued speaking.

“But we should go and see them; not just talk about them, silly!” Pinkie called back to the lavender mare as she walked home to Sugarcube Corner, leaving the lavender mare standing behind her in shock.



Twilight's breath hitched when she heard that sentence and it took her a moment before speech was usable again.

“Wait, what? But I can't just – We can't just up and – what about – HUH? PIIIIINKIIIEEE!” Twilight shouted to the sky as she threw back her head to get more volume.

The lavender unicorn was going to continue to yell for the pink earth pony to explain herself but had glanced around her and saw that the other townsfolk were staring at the distressed unicorn in confusion and concern. The lavender mare gave a sheepish smile and a small hoof wave before proceeding to run after the retreating figure of the party pony, determined to understand what she had meant by her last sentence.