• Published 6th Jul 2013
  • 6,546 Views, 150 Comments

The Party Animal and the Bookworm - Wolfie 03



There's a new unicorn in town and she's just learning about friendship, something that the local pink baker excels at. Pinkie's mission, to bring the joy of friendship to Twilight even if she actually hopes for more.

  • ...
7
 150
 6,546

Another trip out of town

Spike sat up from his bed, rubbing his eyes with a claw. It was early in the morning, before sun up actually, and the residential unicorn was pacing while muttering to herself.

“Geez Twilight. What's got you pacing this time?” The young dragon sighed as he walked up to the nervous unicorn.

“I have to re-plan this entire week in case Pinkie Pie was serious about us visiting someplace. She probably has nothing planned! No idea of where we would go or do or pay for anything or or... anything!” Spike rolled his eyes and turned around to head back to bed.



Not even a minute after Twilight finished her 'in-case-Pinkie-Pie-was-serious-about-a-day-trip' checklist slash schedule, there was a series of knocks at the door.

*knoknoknock knock knock knock knock knock
knock knock knock knock knockknock Knock KNOOCK...*

Twilight sighed and rolled her eyes as she trotted over to the door. As she opened it a pink muzzle came perilously close to her lavender one as blue eyes shined.

“Goood morning Twilight!You ready for a super awesome day?”

Twilight backed away from the door only to be followed closely by the pink mare.

“Yes, hi Pinkie. What is happening today then?” Pinkie's face fell for a moment before she tilted her head in confusion.

“I thought we were going to go out today so you can get out of the library more?” The lavender mare sighed.

(So she was serious. Good thing I made that emergency checklist. Let's see what I'm in for today...)

“Ah, yes. That. I wasn't sure when you planned on going... is there a plan?”

“Nope! Wouldn't want to have any best laid plans of mice and ponies, you know?”

Twilight face-hoofed and gave a small groan. “Pinkie, how will we get wherever we're going, where are we going, what would we do there? THAT'S why ponies make plans, mice don't need to be involved.”

“Does this mean you don't want to hang out?” Blue eyes began to mist over as they were downcast.

The unicorn sighed as she rubbed a hoof to her temple.

“I do want to hang out, but more planning and advanced notice would have been nice.”

The pink mare perked right up and nodded rapidly with a grin on her face. After doing some quick calculations, the lavender mare figured they could roughly spend a day someplace without too much issue.

“Alright Pinkie Pie. Let's make a lunch to take with use and we'll just spend a day somewhere nearby, ok?” Twilight asked as she headed for the kitchen.

“Sure thing Twilight! Where did you want to go?” Pinkie hopped after the unicorn, excited for more hang out time. After more rapid thoughts Twilight decided that Fillydelphia was close enough to suit their needs.

“Fillydelphia.”

“OooohhHH! That's a good one!”

Twilight smirked and rolled her eyes. (I bet I could have said any place and you'd think it was good one.)

They finished making lunch together and grabbed some bits as they headed out the door. Twilight did pause long enough to write Spike a note on what the two mares were doing and some chores for the young dragon to do while they were gone. Then the two friends took the train east, heading for the sea side city of Fillydelphia.

The two hour trip was filled with chatter from the pink mare who was discussing where they should go. Luckily there wasn't anypony else riding the train with them at this early hour, so no one else had to endure the barrage of comments.



By the time the two mares arrived in the big city, Twilight felt like she already knew the whole city. Though it didn't stop her from being amazed by the sights.

The tallest building in Canterlot was three stories high, and while the castle was tall, it was also part of a mountain. This city had a lot of buildings that ranged from two stories to eight at least. And while there weren't an overload of tall buildings, there were enough to make it feel like they towered over the crowds below.

Pinkie Pie, on the other hoof, merely pranced though the streets, eyes closed in happiness and humming to herself.

For awhile the two friends followed the crowd, Twilight following the bouncy pink tail as she looked at all the buildings. Pinkie would look back every so often and giggled at the shocked mare behind her. The pink earth pony was tempted to use her tail to close the lavender unicorn's gaping mouth but didn't want to upset the mare more than she already did from this morning's surprise trip.


(At least she's much happier now! This IS the perfect city for a first time traveler. Though if it's time travel, perhaps we should speak to Time Turner... I know Twilight would like it, a blue box full of all sciency and wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff.... Ohhh, look! A candy store! I wonder what- wait. what's going on here?) The pink mare's train of thought derailed at the sound of a young colt's cries.

The purple mare noticed the sudden shift right away and walked forward enough to look for what grabbed the flighty earth pony's attention. As Twilight's ears grew accustomed to the sounds of the city once more, she heard what was going on before seeing the crying colt. He was sitting in the middle of the street, crying as ponies passed by without so much as a glance at the upset child.

It was a light brown earth pony with short spiky dark blue mane and tail. From what Twilight could see, he didn't have his cutie mark yet, though she couldn't be sure as the pink mass of energy flew into action.

A large blue ball was inflated at high speeds and soon a pair of pink hind hooves were on top while fore-hooves juggled 5 more balls (red smaller ones). The lavender mare could only watch as the pink one sang songs to cheer up the crying child.

First you wiggle your tail! Oink Oink Oink!
Then you wiggle your snout! Oink Oink Oink!
Then you wiggle your rump! Oink Oink Oink
Then you shout it out! Oink Oink Oink!

By the time Pinkie got the first few lines of song out, Twilight found her hoof rather firmly on her face. Which was, sadly, a common occurrence for the unicorn. Before she could stew about how she couldn't be in her crush's presence without a hoof to her face for long, she felt a quick jerk the hoof covering her eyes. She snapped to awareness just in time to catch the red balls flying her way. Due to the rate they were moving, Twilight automatically made them continue moving, much like she was juggling but with magic instead of hooves.

By this time, the young colt had reduced his crying to mere sniffles as he stared at the weird pink mare. Once Pinkie got to 'wiggle your tail', the colt smiled a little, which is what caused the party pony to get the studious pony to help. At the sight of two ponies juggling, the colt began to laugh while some of the passing ponies stared and began to smile along, though they kept a decent distance from the performers, making a circle in the middle of the street.

Twilight was keeping up with the hyper pony pretty well, especially as the things thrown at her to juggle got weirder and weirder.

(Balls, sure. Handkerchefs? Rarity would be proud. Rubber chickens? Really?.... wait, no, she can't expect me to juggle a BOWLING BA- erph, heavvyy....)

Twilight gave a small grimace of pain at the various things she was juggling while Pinkie Pie both juggled and played some tambourines. As Pinkie swung into a second round of her song, the tambourines flew towards the unicorn who's eyes widened in surprise. Purple eyes met blue as the unicorn telepathically asked if this was a wise move. Blue eyes reassured purple, conveying complete faith in the unicorn's magic and musical abilities. The lavender pony blinked slowly and a half smirk appeared on her muzzle at how much faith the pink pony had in her.

As this took no longer than a second, nopony around them noticed the exchange or delay in the show. As Twilight levitated no less than seven different things (two of the red balls, a handkerchief, a rubber chicken, a top hat, a tricycle, and a bowling ball) and played the tambourines, Pinkie had the small colt dancing and singing along. Towards the end, the pink mare grabbed the young colt and placed him on her shoulders as the party pony stood up while singing and bouncing along.

Just as the number finished and Twilight started to put down everything, a shout rang through the air.

“Felix Fixit!”

The colt's face went from happy to ecstatic at the yell.

“Momma!”

Pinkie's face broke into an even larger grin as she turned towards the light yellow earth pony who was pushing through the crowd to the empty circle by the two performers. The mom had a long blue mane and watch taken apart for a cutie mark. Pinkie placed the little colt onto the ground and stepped back to stand next to the slightly panting lavender unicorn. Twilight wore a half smile as she tried to regain her breath and energy after the performance. She wasn't use to to doing so much at once, though it was good practice.

The colt, Felix Fixit, ran up to his mom and hugged a fore-leg as the other leg wrapped around him in return. The mom looked at the two performers with tears in her eyes and a smile on her face.

“I can't thank you enough! Thank you, thank you! For a moment I feared... but it doesn't matter. Thank you!”

“It was no problem ma'am.” Twilight responded with a wave of her hoof.

“Yep! We're glad that this was solved so super quickly!” The yellow earth pony gave a small smile.

“Well, if you hadn't raised him up so high, and caused such a big scene, it may have taken me longer to find him. What do you say to the nice ponies Felix?” The light yellow mare gave the light brown colt a pointed look. The colt released his mom and gave the two friends a quick hug with a rapid “Thanks!” each before grabbing a hold of his mother once more.

“Thank you again. What have I told you about running off? I don't want to lose you...” The mother gently scolded her child as they walked away.


As Twilight turned to Pinkie, she noticed how all the objects she had just been juggling disappeared. The lavender unicorn spent a minute looking around trying to find them as the pink earth pony giggled behind a hoof.

“Something the matter Twilight?”

“Huh? Oh, um... No, I guess not. Let's get something to eat from that bakery and find a place to have our lunch. I'm starving.”

At the word 'bakery' blue eyes lit up and their owner bounced in place, though once the unicorn finished the pink mare raised a hoof to wipe at her chest and look at it with a rather bored expression.

“I guess if you really want to.”

Twilight rolled her eyes with a smirk as they began to head towards the bakery, the pink ball of energy following close behind the slower mare.



(You know, considering how she's a real life bookworm, she's really fit and trim. Maybe it's all those crazy panics she has. I'd say she couldn't be eating right except that Spike is a really good chef. Maybe she can eat lots and lots and use lots of brain energy power and uses up all that energy. Ooohhh that would explain why she orders cupcakes every morning! I better make sure she has enough to eat so she can use cupcake power and become a super-unicorn warrior!) With this thought foremost in her mind, the expert baker examined all the specimens before her as the two friends enter the bakery.

The unicorn merely shook her head at this usual behavior of Pinkie's, unaware of why the baked treats were being examined in every way possible. Before Twilight finished looking at less than half of what was on display, Pinkie Pie was already at the counter ordering for the two of them. At first the unicorn was mildly annoyed until she saw what had been order.

In her rapid search, Pinkie Pie had found the ones that she knew the studious pony liked as well as ones that the party mare would enjoy and ones that would give a large amount of energy to the two mares (with a resulting crash for any unused to such large quantities of sugar).

The store owners were so pleased with the two mares' performance (which drew in a lot of extra customers to the bakery that day) that they got a discount on their purchase. Pinkie accepted it at face value and started to trade baking tips while Twilight was in slight shock and stammered her thanks.

Once they finally left the bakery, after Pinkie Pie exchanged contact information with the bakers for any further exchange of ideas, they began to search for a good place to sit and eat.




Pinkie lead the way to the park in the center of the city. Twilight had the feeling that she was going to be in shocked silence for most of the day, as the pink mare showed her more and more surprises. The large park was another in a growing mental list of amazement.

It was large with a mini-lake in the center, with a good amount of open grass space around it. Around the grass area was a pathway for those who wanted to walk or jog, and beyond the pathway were just enough trees for shade but not to feel like a forest.

The two mares choose a spot near the water and had their picnic. Between having walked around the city for a few hours and having done a lot more multitasking magic than she was use to, Twilight scarfed down her food with an enthusiasm that she normally didn't have. Pinkie Pie ate in her usual way, with large bites and much of it seeming like a performance, while at the same time mentally congratulating herself.

(After serving her favorite cupcakes for so long, I know exactly what her favorites are! And with these sugar bursts, she'll have just enough energy to last through the rest of the day. Though I'll have to take it easy on her, she used a lot of magic today. I just knew she'd be up to the challenge. AND she can play tambourines pretty well too. There's nopony else like my little star! Maybe I should see about setting up some music classes for her and she could help me with musical accompaniment!)

As Twilight finally slowed down to notice her surroundings once more (the majority of the food gone, just some cupcakes to enjoy slowly) she noticed the earth pony in front of her was staring back with a small grin on her face. The unicorn waved a purple hoof in front of unfocused blue eyes as she called to distracted mare.

“Pinkie Pie? Is everything ok?”

“Huh? O, sure it is Twilight!” Twilight waited for the more in-depth explanation common from the chatty mare, only to frown when none came.

“What were you thinking about?” The lavender pony felt weird asking this, since it took no effort for anypony to hear EVERYTHING that came to the pink mare's mind.

“Oh, well, I was thinking about what we should do next.” Pinkie said without hesitation, it wasn't a lie per say, she was thinking of what to do next while at the same time thinking of the lavender mare in front of her.

(I don't want to make her feel awkward with how I feel towards her. I don't even know if she lives mares or stallions. Somehow boy- or girl- friends never came up in the conversation. I wonder why that is? Maybe Ms Faust didn't want to scare away the kids... Anyways...) “Stuff to do... well, we could always look at the sports team here or check what kind of stores they have or or … Oh~! I got it! Come on Twilight, let's not waste a minute!”

After the first explanation, Twilight was getting extremely concerned. (This isn't like her at all. Maybe she's still hungry? Maybe she's bored of showing me around? How can this be fixed...) Once Pinkie began to think out loud of where they could go, Twilight's face started to clear of worry. By the end, she wore a smile as she packed up what was left of their lunch as Pinkie Pie began to hop in place, excited at what she thought of.

Once everything was packed away, pink hoof grabbed purple as their owners raced away, with pink leading. The two friends couldn't help but laugh at how it felt similar to when they visited Cloudsdale the day before.


Soon they were on the steps just before the second largest library in Equestria. As they entered the old but well maintained four leveled library, Twilight's jaw dropped at the sight of thousands upon thousands of books and large historical archives. Pinkie Pie watched with a grin as the book pony found her second home away from home (the first home away from home being Canterlot) while taking half steps in different directions before just turning in circles, unsure of where to start.

The lavender pony, catching sight of pink, stopped suddenly before rushing at her friend and secret crush, giving her a heartfelt hug.

“Thank you!” She whispered into a pink ear.

The pink earth pony gave a small shiver as she felt the air rush past her ear and returned the the hug with gusto, along with a nuzzle on the side of the unicorn's face. The lavender mare shivered at the nuzzle before squeezing and then releasing her crush. Both ponies had small blushes but smiled all the same before turning towards the books all around them.



Twilight had to constantly reminder herself that they were only staying for the remainder of the day and that she couldn't take all the books she wanted, build a fort out of them and bury herself in the stories they told.

Pinkie Pie noticed this and plotted her next visit location. (It's going to have to be the last one too, Twilight's slowing down and we still have that LOOONNGG trip home... Besides, if I know my lovely book-bound crush, she'd want to spend a lot of time with this last place to visit.... Too bad we couldn't see any of the museums here, we'll just have to come again some other time! Alllright! Road trip! Oh right, we're already on one.)

The pink mare nudged the lavender one in the side with her muzzle. Twilight snapped out of the zone as she blushed once more, identifying who it was by the smell of cupcakes and icing.

“What's wrong Pinkie?”

“Oh nothing's wrong. But I wanted to show you one more thing, and then we have to go home. But we don't have to go right now!” the pink pony rose onto her hind legs as she waved her fore-hooves in the no-way signal. The purple pony smirked and waved a reassuring hoof in return.

“Ok, ok. We'll see this last place and decide if it's late enough to leave or not.”

As the two friends walked out side by side, the more studious one promised herself that she would be back.

(This day can't get any better. And while it's not the royal archives, it's still an impressive library. I WILL be back! And I have to find a way to thank Pinkie Pie for this day trip. I wonder where - )

At this point Twilight saw the only thing that could make the day even better. An almost as large as the library they just visited bookstore. Pinkie Pie giggled as she looked at the the other's shocked face.

(Soon she'll be able to eat whole pieces of cake like I do. I'm so glad she's having fun... Well, I hope she's having fun, she hasn't said much all day actually...)

“Twilight, you are having fun right?”

“Of course I am! This day has been great! Thank you thank you thank you!” Twilight yelled as she pulled her friend into a standing hug while bouncing in place. The pink mare beamed as she reciprocated and made a mental note of this new type of hug.


Soon the pair were searching in the large book store, as though it was Hearts Warming day all over again. For the unicorn it was the prospect of new books and a day spent with her crush. For the earth pony it was that she brought joy and new places to the reclusive pony as well as having spent the day with her long time crush. What the pair didn't know was that they had the second reason in common.

After an hour of searching, both ponies bought what they selected (Twilight had half a dozen books while Pinkie Pie only had one) and they headed for the train station. It was late in the afternoon and they still had a two hour trip ahead of them.


As they found a compartment for themselves, they placed their luggage under their seats as the two friends sat across from each other. Not even a moment after sitting down, the studious mare fell asleep in a sitting positing, with her head leaning forward. The party mare was much more use to staying up and being active for long periods of time and just enjoyed watching the other sleep peacefully.

The train lurched a little as it pulled away from the station, causing the unicorn to tip forward. Before she could begin to fall in earnest, she was caught by swift pink hooves that pushed her more firmly onto the seat. But momentum caused the lavender mare to fall backwards onto the seat instead of just a better placement and in an instinctive move to hold onto something as she fell, grabbed the helping hooves and pulled the pink mare towards her.

Pinkie Pie offered no resistance to being pulled in to almost cuddling position as her mind went blank for a moment before zipping off into hyperspace.

(Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh SHE IS SO CUTE! Come on Pinkie Pie, she's asleep, defenseless, helpless, completely trusting... I SOOOO want to cuddle!!! She's just too cute, I'll hug her and cuddle her and pet her and call her George! Well, actually, I'd rather call her my little star and I shouldn't snuggle her, she may not like it but if she didn't like it then why would she be holding me so closely and we only have a few hours and – GERONIMO!!!)

With a mental leap, Pinkie Pie slowly got up onto the seat next to the sleeping pony who pulled the pink mare even closer with a grin on her face and nuzzled the pink neck with her nose.

(GASP! No far, she nuzzled first! I'll just have to snuggle twice as much!)

And with the snuggle wars off to a cute start, Pinkie Pie allowed the rest of the world to drop away around the two of them. Though she had her Pinkie Sense on alert for when they got to Ponyville.

Pinkie Pie felt the need to sing softly while she enjoyed this rare opportunity to be as close as she wanted with the cupcake of her heart.

Twilight is my bestest friend, whoopy whoopy,
she's the cutest smartest all around best pony, pony,
I hope she'll soon like me, like me,
I just can't wait, hopefullllyyy~~


After what felt like only moments, Twilight opened one eye to see why she was being prodded in the side. She was surprised to see a pair of blue eyes extremely close to her and gave a small jump before sitting up properly, leaning back slightly from the close face of Pinkie Pie.


“Hey Twilight! We're coming up to Ponyville! You should really get up now unless you want to stay on the train, I wonder if they let you stay on the train after you were suppose to get off? Oohh, wanna stay and see if we get more rides to far away places?”

Twilight rubbed a hoof across her eyes, trying to remember what happened in the past few hours. As she slowly came to her senses she heard a voice carry across the train.

“Ponyville! Next stop, Ponyville!”

“Oh, um, sure. Wait. I mean, thanks for waking me up Pinkie Pie, but I don't think they would like it if we tried to stay on the train without paying for new tickets.”

Pink shoulders gave a quick shrug as their owner dove under the seats for their luggage. “Okie dokie. Here is your bag Twilight! Today sure was fun! We should do it again soon!”

Twilight nodded as she grabbed her bags in her magic. “Yes, it was a lot of fun. And we should do it again, but please, let me know ahead of time so I can plan around it at least!”

“Sure thing Twilight! Ooo, it's going to be so much fun!”

Twilight smirked as the pink mare hopped out of their compartment and followed with a shake of her head.



Before long the two friends found themselves back in town as evening was just settling in. Twilight took note of how dark it was getting and hoped that Spike didn't do anything too bad while she was gone. She turned to the mare next to her and smiled.

“Thanks again Pinkie. It was a lot of fun. I'll see you later, ok?”

“Sure thing Twilight! I'm sure I'll see you bright and early for your usual cupcake order!” The party pony felt even more energized after spending the whole trip back cuddling the best pony in Ponyville. She gave a large smile to her crush and bounced away, planning some new cupcakes to try based on what happened that day.

The lavender pony smirked at the unusual farewell and slowly walked back to the library.


The young dragon, who was cleaning some of the top most shelves with a feather duster, turned when he heard the door open.

“Sorry the library's closed- Oh hey Twilight! I was wondering when you were going to be back. Did you have fun? Where'd you go? What'd you do? Did you get me anything?” The purple and green dragon hopped down from the ladder he was on and walked over to the unicorn who was pulling books out of the bags she had with her.

“Hi Spike. Yes, I had fun. We went to Fillydelphia and we went to the park, the library and a book store. I did get you something, a book on how to age gems to get a better quality from them. I bet they make it taste even better too!” Twilight levitated a blue book over to Spike who had a hungry look on his face at the thought of better tasting gems.

However, it wasn't too long after putting away the books that the unicorn felt the day catch up with her once more and heading off to bed. As she started to walk up the stairs, she came across her number one assistant asleep with the new book open below his head. She shook her head a little and picked up the book and dragon, putting both away before heading to bed herself.

As she closed her eyes, she felt as though something was missing and could have sworn she smelled cupcakes. With a quick jerk of her head, she dislodged those kinds of thoughts and turned onto her side. Luckily, the studious pony was so tired that she couldn't think about what it all meant as sleep came to her swiftly.

Although, in her half-asleep state, the unicorn began to hum a small tune that sounded familiar yet new as she drifted off.


hmmm hm hmm bestest friend, whoopy, whoopy,
hmmm, hmmm, hmmm, pony, pony,
hm hmmm she likes me hmmm hmm hmmm hmm,
hopefully-hmmm....

Author's Note:

:facehoof: I don't see why you guys didn't already have the party canon firing squad on me. I just re-read my older chapters (which I try not to do since I only see things to be tweaked here and there) and I can already see a difference in how my writing is coming along now compared to before.

The writing should be coming along faster now and hopefully the chapters are of better quality. :twilightsmile: Please, I love to see comments, they let me know if I'm writing a good or bad/annoying story! :pinkiehappy:

Also, I'm changing how some of my writing style is/comes out. The (italics) parts are thoughts and the "italic" are when they are singing.