• Published 2nd Jul 2013
  • 25,136 Views, 1,162 Comments

The Princess and I - Flanagan



I'm just a normal guy living my life... but the past year or so hasn't been to kind to me... then my life changed the day she (literally) ran into me.

  • ...
73
 1,162
 25,136

15: The Cell

There wasn’t much I could do the moment the police rushed through the doors. I thought it was a bit excessive when they drew down on me, but I had just beaten four grown men relatively easily, so I understood their concern. I put my hands behind my head and turned around, waiting for them to take me away.

The moments after that were all a blur. I remember three police officers slamming me onto the table, two to hold me down and one to cuff me. I remember seeing the looks of terrified customers while the police tried to get statements and calm them down. I remember a lot of screaming, panic and confusion, but what I remembered most was Luna.

The look on her face, fear, I’ve seen that look far too many times in my short life. She tried to run to me, past several police officers, their line held, but only for a moment. She got by them only to be swept up in the arms of a hulking policeman, thrashing in his grip she reached out to me. At the time I couldn’t hear anything, but I could only guess she was screaming my name, begging them to let me go. I did my best to calm her down from my position shaking my head and mouthing the words ‘it’s alright, everything’s gonna be fine’.

I was lying of course; I didn’t know how all of it was going to turn out at the time, but at that moment I would do anything to put her mind at ease. After they forcefully threw me in the back of one of the seven vehicles that were outside they took me to the station. Which is why I’m here sitting in an interrogation cell waiting for the guy who will try to get a confession out of me.

“Could I at least get some water?” I asked the two way mirror, “I’m kinda thirsty.”

“You’ll get nothing until you start talking.” A gruff voice said from the other side of the room.

I looked over to the door to see an imposing man, roughly six foot two, two thirty-five. My size actually, more than likely the beginning of the good cop/bad cop thing. He walked over to the table and placed a file in front of me, showing the faces of five familiar men.

“Why’d you do it?” he asked staring me square in the eyes, “Why’d you assault five men?”

“I was defending a coworker.” I answered, “Don’t you think I should know your name first? This might be a little bit easier for both of us if we can be civilized.”

“Civilized?!” he yelled, “You want me to be civilized about you brutally beating five innocent men, one of them still a minor! How do you expect me to be civilized!?!?”

“Sir, I can assure you that I did everything I could before it turned violent. I asked them to leave, I said I would call the cops, but they didn’t listen and if I hadn’t done what I did the whole situation could’ve been a lot worse. Now please, I’m calm, I’m complying and I’m willing to tell you everything… I just want to know your name.”

The officer grunted, he wanted to stay cold, but he knew I was right. “Officer Fairchild…” he replied reluctantly.

“Officer Fairchild,” I said, “I’m-“

“Aedan Collin Ryan,” he interrupted, “only son of Jack and Caroline Ryan, born December 18 1988 at Children’s Mercy Hospital in Kansas City Missouri, Joined the Marines January 23 2007 as 0311, went Recon, served four years including three Afghanistan tours, where on the last tour you received a-“

“Ok I understand you know about my past, but what does that have to do with anything now?”

“You’re in a lot of trouble, Mr. Ryan…” Officer Fairchild said.

“I can see that…” I said, lifting my hands a jingling the handcuffs locked tightly on my wrists.

“This isn’t a laughing matter!” Officer Fairchild snapped, “You could go to prison for a long time because of this… and because of what I’ve seen on your file, you might not do to good in there.”

“I’ve been through worse,” I replied, “But like I said I was defending a coworker, anyone in that restaurant would tell you that they were harassing a waitress, they would tell you that I tried to get them to leave before it became-“

“About that waitress…” Officer Fairchild said, “She’s not much better off that you are right now.”

“What?” I said shocked, “what the hell are you talking about?”

“She attacked one of them from behind…” He explained, “With a plate, and I’ve also gotten a report saying she assaulted another young woman in the Wal Mart parking lot.”

“S-she was protecting me…” I stuttered, oh God, I’ve drug Luna into something I can’t control. “Who knows what would’ve happened if she didn’t hit-“

“That’s not the point right now,” Officer Fairchild said, “She struck that young man with something that one could reasonably consider would cause death or serious bodily harm… you’re both lucky that none of them suffered any permanent damage.”

“Officer Fairchild please…” I said, doing my best not to sound like I was begging, “If this falls on anyone, let it fall on me… Luna didn’t do anything wrong.”

“Not according to the reports.” He said waving the papers in front of me, “How could you involve a girl like that in all this? Clean record, an upstanding citizen… now she’s facing almost as much jail time as you.”

“Officer Fairchild… for the love of GOD, DON’T SEND HER TO JAIL!” I nearly shot out of my chair, but I managed to remain calm so I didn’t end up getting slammed back to the ground. “Please… don’t...”

“You care about her…” Officer Fairchild said raising an eyebrow, “Don’t you?”

“I’d do anything for her…” I replied, fighting the urge to allow a single tear form in my eye, “I’d do anything to keep her safe.”

“Even beat the living hell out of five men?” he asked.

“I think I already proved that I would.” I said staring him square in the eyes, “Please… leave her out of this. I’ll take the full blame… just don’t send Luna away.”

“I’m I getting a confession?” Officer Fairchild asked.

“If it keeps Luna safe…” I began, “Then yes… I beat all five men, with no help whatsoever.”

“Alright… That’ll be cataloged into the file…” Officer Fairchild said making his way to the door, “You know you can be locked up for a very long time for this…”

I didn’t respond; I just hung my head down low. I’d put Luna right in the middle of something she never deserved to be involved in and I was about to pay the price. My own wellbeing didn’t matter to me, all my thoughts revolved around Luna. Where would she go? Who could she trust? Who was going to take care of her? And most importantly, how was she going to get back home now? Gordon and I were still the only ones who knew her secret, how would everyone else react if and when she couldn’t conceal herself? I sank my head into my hands; I failed Luna, just like I failed her.

I didn’t know how long I was in that room and frankly, I didn’t care. My mind was still on Luna and how everything would turn out for her since now I was more than likely going to be spending the next decade or more in prison for beating five delinquents that deserved it, but that’s the justice system for you. Far from perfect, but we work with it as best we can.

I may have stayed in that state for quite some time if not for over hearing the door to the room opening. I looked up, hoping to see someone other than Officer Fairchild, but that wasn’t the case. He walked up to the table sat down and placed a single glass of ice water before me.

“You’ve got a great girl out there you know.” He said to get my attention.

“What?”

“Luna…” he said, “We let her go after your confession… three hours ago…”

“It’s been three hours?” I said shocked, “Oh God… is she alright?” I tried to stand but Officer Fairchild motioned me to sit back down.

“She’s still pretty shaken up by the whole mess.” He explained, “But she’s alright, physically that is.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Emotionally she’s pretty torn up, all she’s been doing is begging to see you, saying it wasn’t your fault…” He leaned in to the table, a small smile on his face, “Even asked us not to send you to the moon.”

“Wonder where that came from?” I asked, letting out a chuckle.

“Well regardless, you’re free to leave.” Officer Fairchild said, shocking me.

“Wait… why?” I asked, “I confessed to beating the Trents.”

“The Trents dropped the charges.” Officer Fairchild explained, “Especially after we received over twenty eye witness testimonies saying the same thing you told me.” he grabbed my wrists wielding the cuff’s keys he unlocked my bindings with a smile. “I’m sorry you had to go through this, I’ve got a lot of respect for veterans…” he extended his hand for a solid shake, “especially the ones who’ve given more than they should.”

“Thank you Officer.” I said with a smile, “Now where’s the way out?”

“Just follow the hallway,” he said with a smile, “Double doors on your right, I’m sure you’ll notice a few faces.”

I nodded and made my way to the door in question; a rare jump in my step, but then again, it’s not every day that you get off of charges like mine scot-free. Now I could just go back home, sit on the couch and do nothing but watch T.V. with Luna. That last part I was looking forward to the most, just relaxing with the girl who had caused me so much trouble over the week yet somehow made all of them disappear at the same time.

I finally arrived at the double doors that symbolized my freedom and paused. “One foot in front of the other…” I smiled to myself as I opened the doors, revealing the front desk. There were the usual police officers walking back and forth, people either being processed or reporting something to the officer at the desk. None of them mattered however, I was looking for the one person who filled my thoughts for the past three hours.

It didn’t take me long to find her, mainly because I felt her plow into my chest while she squeezed me hard enough that I may have been able to drop a few pants sizes. I could tell she’d been torn apart by the whole situation, so I did what any guy in my shoes would’ve done. I returned the embrace.

“I told you it would be alright…” I whispered softly, letting her know I wasn’t going anywhere.

“They… they told me they were going to take you away…” she said fighting her urge to cry. “Because you took the whole blame… you said I didn’t do anything. You were willing to go to prison in my stead.”

“What else was I going to do?” I asked, lifting her chin up so she would look at me. “You wouldn’t make it a day in prison.”

“Just don’t do it again.” She smiled nestling her head back into my chest.

“Not in a thousand years…” I smiled, running my hand through her hair.

“Well aren’t you two just adorable…” A female voice said gathering my attention. I looked up to see none other than Mrs. Burns and Larry standing next to one another, smiles of approval on both their faces.

“Wha-what are you two doing here?” I said not even realizing Luna was still in my arms.

“Well… We both came here to plead your cases to the cops.” Larry explained, “About ten minutes after we got here we saw Luna walk through the doors…”

“And lord the poor girl…” Mrs. Burns said walking to the two of us, “She was devastated, poor Larry had to use all his strength to pull her away from the doors and even then she didn’t stop demanding to see you.”

“Really?” I said looking down to Luna, finally seeing she looked as if she balled buckets.

“It was hard to watch…” Larry added, “So ‘M’ and I decided to stay here with her until we knew more about what was going to happen.”

“I don’t think you had to do that.” I said, finally releasing Luna. “I’m sure I would’ve been fine.”

“We didn’t stay for you.” Larry said chucking, “Only god knows what would’ve happened if we didn’t stay here with Luna… he she could’ve been arrested again for causing a scene.”

“I couldn’t imagine…” I said, smiling because the thought of a dark blue pony princess blasting through the police station like the Terminator ran through my mind for a second.

“Well I’m glad that we could get this whole thing worked out.” Mrs. Burns said with a smile, “How does another week off sound to you Aedan?”

“What?” I asked, “I already took my time off this year.”

“Well after your first day back at work I think you might need more time.” Mrs. Burns said with a smile, “And I wouldn’t want you to spend all that time by yourself…” she began to smile deviantly, “So I think I’ll give your ‘friend’ a week off, I’m sure you both need the release.”

My face went red, while Luna approached Mrs. Burns to hug her. “Thank you, Mrs. Burns!” she said happily, “I’m sure Aedan and I will use the time you’ve given us to its fullest potential.”

“Just don’t spend it too well…” she said smiling, “I’ll need you both able to walk when you two get back.”

My eyes widened as Larry let out a laugh at a very rare bit of her ‘adult’ humor. I would’ve joined in with Larry normally, but seeing that it was directed towards Luna and myself, it really sucked the jollies out of it. Not to mention that Luna had no idea what she was talking about, but that was something I’d come to expect ever since I’d taken her in.

“That’s very kind of you, Mrs. Burns.” I said walking next to Luna, “I’m sure we’ll find some way to pass the time.” DAMNIT! Walked right into that one…

“Oh, I’m sure you will.” Mrs. Burns said, Larry was literally on the floor now, laughing like mad.

“Well…” Luna said confused, “Again thank you for the kindness, Aedan and I appreciate it.”

“Yeah…” I sighed, again running my hand down my face. “You’re too kind…”

After Larry finally stopped laughing, mainly because he couldn’t breathe anymore, Mrs. Burns was kind enough to drive Luna and I back to the Denny’s where my car was eagerly awaiting my return. After a few short good byes and a very stern talking to the male staff, Luna and I got into my car and proceeded to go back home. The first song on my iPod’s playlist? Breaking Benjamin, Better Days.

Author's Note:

Well... that's not good... :twilightoops:
Officer Fairchild... intimidating....
More Aedan back story!
Woah... leave Luna out of this! :pinkiegasp:
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... How far are you willing to go to protect the ones you care about?
:yay: it all worked out!
Awwww :twilightsmile: wasn't that a cute back and forth between the two of them?
Oh wow... Aedan set himself up for that one :rainbowlaugh:
Another week off? I wonder what shenanigans will ensue THIS time...
As usual... Quality? What's wrong? Could it be better?