• Published 2nd Jul 2013
  • 25,136 Views, 1,162 Comments

The Princess and I - Flanagan



I'm just a normal guy living my life... but the past year or so hasn't been to kind to me... then my life changed the day she (literally) ran into me.

  • ...
73
 1,162
 25,136

6: The Landlord

Mr. King was a short, fat, strange little man in his fifties. He always wore a pair of gray gym shorts and a wife-beater two sizes too small. Normally he was modest enough to have a bath robe on, but I wasn’t granted that courtesy this time. Come to think of it he looked like the stereotype for a landlord, but as I already knew he wasn’t here for a visit.

“Well?” Mr. King asked, “Is it true? Do you have a woman in there?”

“Ok, first who called and told you that?” I asked, “Was it Amanda?”

“I keep tips confidential.” Mr. King answered “Now do you or don’t you?”

I never really thought of Mr. King as an intimidating figure, after all I was about a foot taller than him, but I needed this apartment. It was the only one I could really tolerate around here, even if the maintenance on this place sucked it was still better than living in my car.

“I know that you were in the Marines and you served in Afghanistan three times…” he began, “But that doesn’t excuse you from my rules. No cohabitating…”

He tried to walk inside, but I stepped in front of him. “You automatically believe your ‘source’?” I asked, “You won’t even let me try to defend myself or even nullify such a claim?”

“I guess I could let you try…” Mr. King said adjusting his glasses, “You are quite the punctual tenant… unlike that Larry fella…”

“Ok…” I said trying to think of something quick, “How do you know that whoever told you that I had a female in here is credible? I know a few people that have it in for me.”

“The source has known you for quite some time.” Mr. King replied, “And she insisted that I at least check it out.”

“She huh?”

“Yes…” Mr. King said, “She…”

“It was Amanda…” I said, “Wasn’t it?”

“Like I said I keep my sources confidential.” Mr. King reiterated.

“You know she hates me right? All she wants to do is cause me grief and misery…”

“I don’t care how anyone feels about you.” Mr. King said, “A woman in YOUR apartment is a strict violation of one of my few rules, and if you do have one in here you’ll be packed away by the end of the day.”

“Don’t you have to give a person at least an entire day?” I asked, sarcasm intended.

“My flat, MY rules…” Mr. King said, menacingly, “Now out of my way!”

“Mr. King you really should-“ but it was too late Mr. King had pushed through me like it was easy, probably because his center of gravity was all just right there. I braced myself for an explosion to come from Mr. King’s mouth, but to my surprise there was nothing. I looked inside my apartment to see Mr. King on his knees looking under my couch and everywhere else that could possibly hide a person. I followed him into my bedroom expecting to see Luna hiding under the bed or in the closet. But she was nowhere to be seen. After another ten minutes of searching every corner of my apartment Mr. King decided he’d seen enough.

“Alright… he said taking heavy breaths, “I guess you DIDN’T have a woman in here… sorry for wasting your time.”

“No big deal…” I said looking around my apartment, “We all get bad information from time to time.”

“I guess…” Mr. King said walking out the door, “See you in a few days when I collect.”

“Bye.” I said closing the door behind him. I slammed myself on the door and slid to the floor, “THAT was too close…” I said to myself, “But where did Luna go?”

“Right here.” Luna said appearing inches away from my face, “I must say if you didn’t delay him I may haven’t had the time to turn into my true from and clock myself.”

“Yeah…” I said looking around, “All part of the plan… glad you caught on so quickly.”

“Indeed...” she replied turning back into human from, “I’d hate for you to lose your home because of me.”

“Wouldn’t be the worst thing I lost to a woman.” I said getting up, “I bet you’re hungry, let’s get you something to eat.”

We were right next to the fridge when my door opened again; I forgot to lock the damn door. I knew that Luna didn’t have time to change pack to a pony and go invisible. For once I hoped it was Larry, but given the recent past I knew that wasn’t the case.

“Sorry to bother you again Aedan…” Mr. King said poking his head inside, “but while I was crawling around I think I dropped my-“

Mr. King’s eyes fell squarely on Luna and myself. I quickly threw her behind me, hoping that that was enough to distract him or make him think that she was never there. But again the past few days and my luck with them bit me in the ass.

“I KNEW you had a woman in here!” Mr. King roared, “I don’t know how you managed to hide her form me the first time, but now you’re gonna answer to me!”

“Mr. King,” I began, “Please let me explain.”

“The only explaining you’ll be doing is to her when your packing everything up and leaving.” Mr. King said “Now start-“

Mr. King finally got a good Look at Luna, then his demeanor changed completely. “Well, well, well…” he said slicking back his comb over, “What’s her name?”

“Luna…” I said, “her name is Luna.”

That was another thing about Mr. King; he was one of those perverts that I was worried about Luna would run into. I swore that he was a pedophile, because almost every time I saw him outside the flat, he was always in the park staring at the kids on the playground in the park. He walked closer to us, trying to get a better look at Luna and even though I couldn’t see her face I knew that he made her uneasy.

“Come on Aedan…” Mr. King said, “Let your landlord get a good look at his guest…”

“Your guest?” Luna asked from behind me.

“She sounds beautiful too…” Mr. King said rubbing his hands together “And yes MY guest.”

“I am a guest of Aedan…” Luna said, “Not you.”

“On the contrary my dear…” Mr. King replied, “Aedan is living in my flat, therefore a guest of his is a guest of mine.”

His logic was valid, but I think I knew what he was trying to do and I didn’t like it. It only took a few seconds for my suspicions to pop into reality.

“You know Aedan…” he began, “I could make an exception for you and your friend…” a creepy smile grew across his face, “That is IF she’s willing to do something for me.”

I could feel Luna cringe behind me. To tell you the truth I cringed a bit too. Like I said, Mr. King is a creepy looking old man, easily mistakable for the penguin and now he was trying to get something from Luna. I’m sure I could guess what it was instantly, but it wasn’t gonna happen, not ever. I’ve had enough to deal with enough bull shit for the past few days, and I’m NOT under any circumstances going to let this perv slide.

“Go to hell Mr. King.” I growled stepping to him, I didn’t care if it cost me my apartment anymore I wasn’t going to let him so much as look at her ever again.

“Excuse me boy?” he asked, “Do you remember who you’re talking to?”

“I’m talking to a sick, fat, dick head that doesn’t know his place.” I replied stopping only feet in front of him. “And if you don’t get out of my apartment right now your skin will turn a lovely shade of blue.”

“I make the rules here sonny boy…” Mr. King said pointing his finger into my chest. “Not you.”

“Maybe you didn’t hear me…” I said grabbing his hand and crushing it in my grip, “get out… or I actually start squeezing HARD.”

Mr. King began to squirm in my grasp as I drug him to my door. Throwing him out I stood in my door way, the light coming from inside made my shadow engulf him.

“I’m going to tell you one more time…” I growled grabbing him by his wife beater, “If you so much as come within ten feet of her I WILL break you…”

“You’re dead Aedan…” Mr. King hissed, “I’ll make sure you can’t get an apartment for twenty miles in every direction.”

“And I’ll tell the cops you’re trying to solicit sex from your tenants for lodging.”

“You wouldn’t!”

“Test me…” I said, “For the love of all that’s holy TEST me.”

I dropped Mr. King back onto the floor, where he promptly scurried like the cockroach he is back down stairs. Even though he was gone I was still livid, mostly because of him, but also everything that’s happened. Meeting Luna, deciding to help her, seeing her naked, teaching her the basics of how to live in this world, every single awkward moment, Amanda and finally Mr. King. I guess it was just a bit too much for me at the moment, slamming the door behind me I turned to the fridge, Luna was looking at me like I’d just killed someone in front of her eyes. Doing my best to calm down I walked to her side.

“Still hungry?” I asked.

“I… I’m good now…” Luna said, sheepishly “Can we just watch T.V. now?”

I could tell that I scared her. I didn’t mean to, but she had never seen me like that, so her reaction was understandable. I walked over to the couch and sat down, Luna close behind. The Cardinals were still on, beating the Cubs 10-0, at least I had that going for me. Luna uneasily took a seat next to me, looking at me like I was a time bomb with a few seconds left. There was a few minutes of silence then Luna asked what I’d been expecting.

“Are you ready to eat?”

Ok, maybe it wasn’t what I was expecting, but I was starving. “Yeah…” I replied, “I’ll get it for you.” I got up, went to the fridge and grabbed a few apples and grapes from the fruit drawer and made my way back to the couch. “Here you go…” I said handing her an apple. “You like apples right?”

“Yes…” Luna said examining the apple, then Luna asked what I expected. “Why did you have such an outburst?”

“Stress…” I answered, “It just spilled over right there.”

“Well…” Luna said looking out the window, “Thank you…”

“For what?”

“Defending my honor,” Luna said, “Thank you for protecting it.”

“Hey you did it for me earlier…” I said, “and I wasn’t going to let that sicko get anywhere near you.”

“You would make a wonderful royal guard.” Luna said, “You are strong, moral, and a sworn protector of the innocent.”

“I probably wouldn’t make it in your guard.” I said shaking my head, “Too many variables against me.”

“What do you mean?”

“Nothing really,” I said looking back to the T.V. “The game’s almost over, you want to watch something else?”

“Even though you showed me how it works…” Luna said looking to me, “But I still now little of what’s on and where it is.”

It was then that I remembered what I was going to watch with Luna when we got home. I got up, ran to my room and grabbed my computer; hopefully Mr. King hadn’t cut the wireless to my room yet. I grabbed the HDMI cable and ran to T.V. spooking Luna a bit, after some fumbling around a bit I finally attached the cable and ran back to the couch.

“What are you doing?” Luna asked.

“Technology…” I replied typing YouTube into the browser. And I knew exactly what I was going to look up as well. Once the screen was loaded I typed in the longest search I ever thought I could. ‘My Little Pony Friendship is Magic episode 1’ “This is what you’re from Princess.” I explained, “Tell me if you remember any of this.”

“Ok…” Luna said confused, “But I don’t see how this could include any of my life.”

The screen loaded showing only a simple book with a gold unicorn on it. “You ready?” I asked her, she nodded, “Ok then…” I said pushing the play button, “Here we go.”

Author's Note:

What's with the serious overtone all the sudden?:rainbowhuh:
I mean first we're all 'awww how cute, little awkward moments' then we've got this... well to tell you the truth I don't think I'll never really be able to truly escape my seriousness when it comes to writing... and we haven't really had any conflict yet so I say 'SEND IN THE ANTAGONISTS!'
Oh well, let's get on with this, I promise that it'll get light again very soon... and I mean that...
The sad part is I based Mr. King off of someone I once knew... there are people about there like that... as sad and wrong as it seems...

As usual please tell me if I messed up somewhere along the way and all of you have a great weekend!