• Published 2nd Jul 2013
  • 25,070 Views, 1,162 Comments

The Princess and I - Flanagan



I'm just a normal guy living my life... but the past year or so hasn't been to kind to me... then my life changed the day she (literally) ran into me.

  • ...
73
 1,162
 25,070

11: The Identity

“I’m sorry?” Luna said “I was born in Equestria on an Island called Heavenshore, about two hundred miles away from the actual continent.”

“I understand that Princess Luna,” Gordon said looking up from his computer, “But Heavenshore doesn’t exist in our world, you need to choose a place to call your ‘home’ until we actually get you home.”

“I’ve been telling everyone we’ve met that she’s a friend from back home.” I said, “So she’d be from Kansas City.”

“At least I’ll have a large population to pick her parents out of.” Gordon said, “I’m assuming that you want her education to be the same as ours on account she’s such and ‘old’ friend?”

“Yes…” I said “So she went to Nashua Elementary, Then New Mark and finally North Kansas City High.”

“Sounds good to me…” Gordon said typing the information into his computer.

“Oh crap…” I said, “We forgot her parents…”

“Already taken care of.” Gordon said smiling, “She is the only daughter of the recently deceased Donald and Margret Connelly… I didn’t think they’d mind having a daughter dropped on them.”

“So I have a last name?” Luna asked.

“You do now Ms. Connelly.” I replied with a smile, “You’re starting to become a regular member of society.”

“How old would you say she is?” Gordon asked.

“Over one thousand.” Luna and I said simultaneously.

“No…” Gordon said pinching his glasses, “How old would you say she looks?”

“She looks a bit younger than us…” I said looking her up and down, “Maybe twenty-two or twenty-three?”

“Going with twenty-three.” Gordon said, “And I’ll have her graduate the same year as us.”

“I’m twenty-four…” I said, “And YOU turned twenty-five last month.”

“Ever heard of skipping a grade?” Gordon asked, “She skipped third and went right to forth.”

“You’re just making her sound impressive.”

“Isn’t she?” he asked looking over to Luna, “Look you need to have oddities in stuff like this, or people will start to ask questions.”

“If you say so, Gordon.” I said rolling my eyes, “You’re the expert.”

“That I am,” he said smiling proudly, “Luna Jennifer Connelly was a straight A student her entire educational career. 4.3 GPA outta North Kansas City… attended University of Missouri on an educational and Tennis scholarship-“

“How do you know she even plays Tennis?” I asked.

“I don’t…” He said with a grin, “but I think he’d look great in a tennis outfit.”

“For the love of God Gordon…” I said slowly dragging my hand down my face, “I thought you said you were trying to make it real…”

“I’m actually quite good at tennis…” Luna said sheepishly.

I looked back to Gordon; he was slightly pumping his fist in triumph. He had me on that one I guess, but there was still a lot more to go over than her talents and smarts. We still had to take care of the bigger things, like a Social Security Number, credit cards and all the other things that people these days have.

“What about Her Social?” I asked, bringing Gordon back to the task at hand. “Do you have a brilliant plan for that one?”

“Of course I do.” He said turning back to his computer, “I’ll just mix her ‘dad’ and ‘mom’s socials and…” he lowered himself to the computer, “she has a valid, never seen before Social…” he looked back to me a sarcastic grin plastered across his face, “You’re welcome…”

“Forgive me if I withhold my enthusiasm…” I said rolling my eyes, I looked over to Luna, she had smiled at my comment, not sure why but it was nice to see that she was understanding my humor.

“Your enthusiasm is one of two things I live for Aedan.” Gordon said, “And seeing Luna in a bra is the other…”

Once again I found my face covered with my hand. I’d been doing that more often than not lately and it was always for something involving Luna. Gordon only laughed at my reaction and went back to typing Luna’s life story into God knows how many government data bases. I really didn’t know the details of his job, but I knew that if he were caught by any enemy of the state that all of national security might get compromised. I never realized how powerful of a friend I had until my platoon was supposed to escort him to Camp Leatherneck.

“Did I miss anything…” he said peering over his glasses and rubbing his rugged red beard, “No I think I’ve got everything covered.”

“Would you mind checking it over again?” I asked, “Just to be sure.”

“If you want me to I’ll look it over one more time,” he looked over the bio he designed for Luna once more “but I’ll look over- aw damnit…”

“What did you forget?” I asked.

“Something really basic…” Gordon Replied slowly dragging his face dawn his face.

“That doesn’t answer the question…” I said smiling, “What did you forget?”

Gordon looked back up to me and sighed, “How tall would you say Princess Luna is in human form?”

“I don’t know… five-eight… maybe five-nine.”

“And how much would you say she weighs?”

“One thirty-five or one forty… give or take a pound or two.”

“Ok…” Gordon said typing a few words into the computer, “Now I’m done…”

“Are you saying that you typed her WHOLE life story…?” I said raising my eyebrow, “But forgot the simple height and weight increments?”

Gordon looked to his computer, then to Luna and finally back to me. “Yes…” he said ashamedly.

“Out of all the things you could forget…” I said throwing my hands in the air, “You forgot the two things you could figure out just by looking at her… damnit Gordon you had one job!”

“Can you make someone appear out of thin air and make it look like they’ve been there for twenty-three years?” Gordon snapped back, causing me to let out a chuckle as I shook my head. “Didn’t think so…”

After a few more minutes of watching Gordon double and triple check everything to make sure. Gordon finally rose from the couch and sighed.

“Everything is done.” He said adjusting his glasses, “Luna’s now a well-respected, hardworking and capable member of society.”

“That’s amazing Gordon.” I said patting him on the back, “Don’t know what I’d do without you.”

“Don’t mention it.” He replied extending his hand, “It’s the least I could do for you after what you’ve done for me... Hell I still think after this I STILL owe you.”

“It was my job… I didn’t do anything special.”

“That’s not what your superiors thought.” Gordon said, closing his computer and making his way to the door. “Especially after-“

“Where are you going?” Luna asked, “You only just got here.”

“Yeah,” I added, “I thought we were going to try to find out how to get Luna back home.”

“You never said anything about that.” Gordon said, “and I would have no idea how to, that stuffs for quantum physicists… and I don’t know any of those personally.”

“So where should I look?” I asked, “If you don’t know anything about this then who?”

“I’d start out at the university.” Gordon said opening the door; if they don’t have someone here locally they could point you in the right direction.”

“You still never answered my question.” Luna said perplexed, “Where are you going?”

“Kansas City.” He answered stepping out into the hall, “I haven’t seen my parents in two years, I’m sure they’d hate me if they knew I was in the state and didn’t visit them.”

“Tell Angie and Markus I said ‘hi’ for me then.” I said waving.

“Might as well… it was good to see you again Aedan.” He said with a smile and an extended hand.

“You too Gordon.” I said returning the gesture, “Maybe the time between our next visit won’t be so extended.”

“I can only hope.” Gordon said releasing my hand, “You know how busy I can get.”

“And you know how uneventful my life is.”

“How uneventful your life WAS…” Gordon corrected, “Like I said Aedan, THIS is huge… for you… for her… whatever the outcome, it WILL change you both.”

“Thank you for the… odd sentiment.” I said raising my eyebrow, “I think I’ve kept you long enough.”

“I really think could stay longer.” Gordon said, “But like I said, need to see my parents… see ya ‘round.”

“You too Gordon.” I said watching him disappear down the stairs, “Stay safe.”

“You too Aedan,” he called back, “Call me if you need me.”

And with the sound of a closing door, I knew Gordon was gone. That guy still hasn’t changed, I thought, still the same since we left high school. I turned around to walk back into my room, but Luna blocked my path. The look on her face told me she was concerned, for what I didn’t know, but my answer came soon enough.

“So…” she began, “I have a new name?”

“That’s a fact.” I said, but my answer seemed to bother her, “What’s the matter? That will make things a lot easier…”

“Am I never going home?” she asked, mist starting to form in her eyes. “Will I ever see my sister… my friends… will I ever see them again?”

I finally understood what troubled her. The identity thing to her was a sign that I thought we were going to be here for a long, long time. I didn’t even think of it that way, I just wanted her to have a good back story in case anyone asked questions, but seeing it from her point of view, it was devastating.

I must’ve looked like one of those jerks that made promises to people because it was what she wanted to hear. That was far from the case, I really wanted to help her get back. I knew what it was like being far away from home, from the people you cared about. Luna and I had that much in common at least.

“It’s gonna be fine Luna.” I said placing my hands on her shoulders, “I’ll start looking for one of those quantum physicists right away, I’ll get you home, I promise.”

Luna looked up to me with watery eyes for a second, then wrapped her arms around my waist. “You know just what to say and when to say it.” She said burring her head into my chest, “I don’t know where I would be if you hadn’t found me in that forest.”

“I don’t really like to think about that either.” I said patting her on the back, “but let’s get back to the task at hand, I’m sure everyone you care about is doing everything to get you back too.”

“I hope so too.” Luna said looking back up to me, “Can we leave this place?” she asked. “Only for a while?”

I looked to the clock, it was already a quarter to three, and Luna and I really hadn’t eaten since last night. It didn’t help that Luna had a pouty face that nothing in the universe could say no to. So with those two things AND thinking about how I could cheer Luna up piled on top of one another, I really didn’t have much of a choice when it came to a decision.

“Sure Luna,” I said reaching for my keys, “Where would you like to go?”

“I really don’t know.” Luna said releasing me with a small smile, “Just… just anywhere but here.”

“Ok… I got a place in mind already.” I said finally getting to my keys, “You wanna see some more of St. Louis?”

“I would love to.” Luna said, “Where shall we begin?”

“Might as well start out with the most noticeable land mark…” I said, “The Arch is maybe twenty minutes away if traffic is good.”

“It sounds wonderful.” Luna replied stepping past me, “I’ll be waiting by your car.”

“You won’t be waiting for that long.” I said smiling back, “Just need to grab a camera, might as well take a few snapshots of us runnin’ amuck in the big city.”

“Sounds fun.” Luna said walking down the stairs, a gleeful bounce in her step.

I heard the flats front door open then quickly close. Now all I needed to do was find my old camera, then we could really kick this thing off. After a minute or two I found the camera and headed down to my car. Luna was waiting there for me leaning over the hood like a pinup girl. I smiled to myself and pushed the unlock button on my keys.

“Get in.” I said opening the door. “Because we’re about to have a day on the town.”

Author's Note:

Well... Gordon and Aedan are quite the team, are they not?
Luna Jennifer Connelly... ... ... ... sounds ligit...
Hmmm Human Luna in a tennis outfit... :pinkiegasp: WIN!x100 :yay:
Human Luna... 5'8" 135lbs? ... ... ... ... Very well built young woman if I must say so myself.
Again Afghanistan is brought up for only a few seconds... the F&%# happened there?!?
Watch out St. Louis... here come Aedan and LUNA!

please tell me if the quality is going down, I'm doing my best to keep it as high as possible.
What's wrong? what can be done to fix it? how can it be better? you know the rest.