• Published 1st Jul 2013
  • 970 Views, 15 Comments

The Second Revival of a Heart: Ponyville Days - TheMessenger



Ash's continued (mis)adventures in Equestria. Watch as he fails miserably to integrate into Ponyville culture, again and again. No firebreathing demon lords this time, just Cutie Mark Crusaders.

  • ...
3
 15
 970

An Upbeat Wrap Up

An Upbeat Winter Wrap

"Do you have any idea what time it is?" Ash demanded, his question punctuated by a loud and exaggerated yawn.

"Uh, late?" Pinkie Pie offered, lowering Rarity from above her head and setting her on the ground. "Really late?" the pony added as the sleepy stallion simply glowered. "Really, really-"

"I guess rehearsal did run a little longer than we anticipated," Twilight admitted as she and Rainbow Dash quickly helped Applejack off the table in the center of the room. She turned to the snoring little dragon curled on a chair and gently removed the parchment out of his grasp. "But we got a lot done. I think we've finally nailed down that chorus."

Twilight's declaration was met with hearty cheers. She smiled as her silver feather pen left its mark on the parchment mark.

"Now, next on the list is choreography, but I think we should run through the second verse one last time. I think somepony was offbeat. Ready? One, two..."

Lively music and singing followed Ash as he crawled back to his mattress and blanket. He lowered his head onto the soft lavender pillow and groaned as the mares begun another round.

"That song's going to be stuck in my head for weeks."

*****

"I believe we all owe you an apology after last night," said Rarity. "We were so caught up in all our preparations we completely forgot about Twilight's other housemate."

"And to make up you're taking me to the spa?" Ash said, pausing to point at the building with violet tent-like roofs Rarity had been guiding them towards.

"Wow, you're on fire today," Pinkie Pie said as she danced between him and Rarity. "First you guessed it was me covering your eyes with that bucket-"

"You do have a rather distinct voice."

"-then you guessed what today was correctly-"

"Saturdays normally come after Fridays."

"-and then Spike sneezed and set your pants on fire!"

"I didn't mean to, honest!" the dragon declared desperately before hiding himself in Twilight's mane. "I-I mean, at least your underpants survived, right?"

"Doesn't matter," Ash said. "I'm not Human long enough to enjoy the indecency anyways."

"Aw, don't worry about that," Pinkie Pie declared, grabbing hold of the stallion's shoulders and pulling him into a short embrace. "I'm sure Twilight will be more than happy to enjoy all that indecency for you."

"I saw nothing!"

"Twilight darling," Rarity chided softly, "indoor voices please. This may not be a library but I am certain Aloe and Lotus would appreciate it if we kept from disturbing the rest of their clients. Come on now, everypony," she sang as she flung open the door and gestured her friends forward. "We have quite the morning planned out for us today. I have the entire sauna completely reserved, followed by facials and a lovely massage, seaweed wrap, mud baths-"

"And the hot tubs right? We can't forget the hot tubs!" Pinkie Pie cried. "With all the jet streams and bubbles and-"

"Of course, Pinkie. What's a trip to the spa without, well, without a dip in the spa?" Rarity giggled at her own little jest. "Come along now, Ash," she called out to the hesitant stallion. "Oh, don't act so shy. You've been here before, remember?"

"Yes, I don't think I'll be forgetting that treatment any time soon," Ash said, rolling his eyes.

"Is this some misguided masculine nonsense then?" Rarity wondered. "Please don't believe such childish notions. Stallion frequent these facilities very often. Just take a look at how excited little Spikey is."

"That's not the issue. I actually have-"

His explanation hadn't gotten any further before Rarity directed her horn at the reluctant Unicorn and all but threw him into the building.

"All present," Rarity declared cheerfully to the receptionist, who nodded before hurrying off. "A pity Applejack and Rainbow Dash won't joining us today, and even more so for Fluttershy," she said with a prolonged sigh. "But I suppose that's to be expected, what with all their duties for this year's Winter Wrap Up. Captains of their respective teams, every single one of them."

"I'm still surprised Fluttershy accepted the position," said Twilight. "I was almost certain she was going to turn it down."

"That's Fluttershy for you," Pinkie Pie chirped. "She'd never let her friends or any little adorable critter down. You saw how worried she was when she heard how sick Sparkler was and how the Animal Team was going to be all directionless without a captain and how sick all the chipmunks, squirrels, snakes, and skunks were going to be from hibernating too long and oh, how I hope we find a replacement for Sparkler soon, won't somepony think of the poor bunnies?" Pinkie finished her emotional cries by holding her hooves over her heart.

"You have a very convincing Fluttershy voice."

"Thanks Ash!"

"Hold on, I thought Amethyst Star was the captain of the Animal Team."

"Nah, it's Fluttershy now. Try to keep up, Twilight."

"But-" The princess' personal prodigy interrupted herself with a groan. "Never mind. I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised that Fluttershy took Sparkler's mantle, considering what's at stake."

"Don't be silly," Pinkie scoffed. "Fluttershy would never take something that belonged to somepony else, well, except for maybe Amethyst Star's job but that was more given than taken."

"Are you doing this on purpose?"

"Doing what?"

"I'm a little more surprised to hear Fluttershy wasn't captain to begin with," said Ash, returning the conversation back to the original matter. "It is her expertise, isn't it? Animals, I mean. It would make the most sense for her to be in charge of the Animal Team, wouldn't it?"

"True," Rarity agreed, "but a leader needs more than expertise and Fluttershy's never been the 'in charge' type of pony. Oh, don't get me wrong, I have confidence in Fluttershy, and I'm sure she'll do fine, but she has a few tendencies not exactly ideal for a leader. There's the mumbling, the second-guessing, the quick acceptance of suggestions, the nerves, the reluctance in using commanding tones..."

"She has plenty of skills to make it all up though," Twilight jumped in quickly. "Like, uh, well, there's, um, that thing she...she'll be fine. I'll just have to keep an extra eye on her." She laughed weakly. "Though I am glad we got to this topic. I was hoping we could use this time to detail Winter Wrap Up for Ash."

"You mean this will be your first Winter Wrap Up, ever?" Pinkie gasped. "First no Nightmare Night, then no Hearth Warming, what next? No birthdays?"

"My winters never needed wrapping up," Ash said dryly. "I'm still getting used to scheduled weather."

"Exactly, which is why I've prepared a quick review of all the jobs everypony does to help you figure out what you're going to do." Twilight proudly held a neat stack of notecards.

"Twilight, dear, we'll be in a spa."

"Oh, don't worry. They're enchanted to be completely waterproof. Now, finding the right job can be stressful, I understand-

"Yeah, I guess you would," Spike snickered quietly.

"-and as a good friend," Twilight continued, throwing her assistant a quick frown, "I'll be here to help you find your place. Spike's right, I was exactly where you were a few years ago so I know exactly what it's like, trying to fit in and figure out how to play your part. Don't worry, there are so many different options, you won't even miss your magic. Let's see, there are three teams: Plant Team, Animal Team, and Weather Team. Now, not being able to fly limits you really to Plant and Animal, unless you can ice skate, but even if you're limited to just those teams, there's still plenty of jobs to try out until you find the one you like. And with this head start, you'll find the one just right.."

"Wait, what are you-"

"Yes, the time has come to welcome spring,

And things nice and green

But it's also time to get to work,

There's lot's of winter to clean

I know, it's a struggle

Deciding what to do

How to best fit in with everypony,

Well, just let us guide you!"

"Winter Wrap Up, Winter Wrap Up!"

"Let's help Ash figure out what to do."

"Winter Wrap Up, Winter Wrap Up!"

"'Cause without us he's hopelessly screwed!"

"Hey!"

"'Cause without us he's hopelessly screwed!"

"Bringing back the southern birds,

Is not the job for you,

Flying is kind of a necessity,

Trust me, I've tried it too

And there's not much you can do

To help melt the cold snow below

Best leave that to the pegasi

The Weather Team's a no-go!"

"Winter Wrap Up, Winter Wrap Up!"

"Let's help Ash figure out what to do!"

"Winter Wrap Up, Winter Wrap Up!"

"'Cause without us he's totally screwed!"

"Winter Wrap Up, Winter Wrap Up!"

"'Cause without us he's totally screwed. 'Cause without us he's totally screwed!"

"Little critters hibernate,

Skunks, snakes, and bears

So if you help wake 'em up,

You'd best take some care

I've got plenty of tomato juice

And plenty gauze galore

If you choose the Animal Team,

Fluttershy's got plenty of chores!"

"Winter Wrap Up, Winter Wrap Up!"

"Let's help Ash figure out what to do!"

"Winter Wrap Up, Winter Wrap Up!"

"'Cause without us he's royally screwed!"

"Winter Wrap Up, Winter Wrap Up!"

"'Cause without us he's royally screwed. 'Cause without us he's royally screwed!"

"No easy task to clear the ground,

Trust me, I've tried

But the planting part isn't too bad

As long as you keep your seeds in sight

Applejack's in charge of plants

She'll keep you as busy as can be

So if you don't mind a little dirt,

The Plant Team's got lots to see!"

"Winter Wrap Up, Winter Wrap Up!"

"Let's help Ash figure out what to do!"

"Winter Wrap Up, Winter Wrap Up!"

"'Cause without us he's completely screwed!"

"Winter Wrap Up, Winter Wrap Up!"

"'Cause without us he's completely screwed. 'Cause without us he's completely screwed!"

"Now that you know what we all do,

It's time to do your part

And figure out what job you like the best

And follow through with all your heart

Have more questions? Just go and ask

We're with you all the way

We want to help you fit in

And do your best that day

Do your best that day!"

"Winter Wrap Up, Winter Wrap Up!"

"Let's help Ash figure out what to do!"

"Winter Wrap Up, Winter Wrap Up!"

"'Cause without us he's really screwed!"

"Winter Wrap Up, Winter Wrap Up!"

"'Cause without us he's really screwed. 'Cause without us he's really screwed! 'Cause without us he's really screwed!"

The last note echoed through the spa. Ash and Spike applauded half-heartedly, reluctant to move even an inch from their current positions. With cool cucumbers covering their eyelids, the two failed to even notice the impressive pony pyramid Rarity, Pinkie Pie, and Twilight managed to build in the center of the jacuzzi.

"Well?" Twilight demanded as Pinkie and Rarity settled into relaxing positions as well.

Ash lifted a cucumber slice and opened his eye. "Hmm?"

"Have you decided what you're going to do for Winter Wrap Up?" she asked. The unicorn held up a stack of soggy notecards. "We can go over the options again if you like."

"Well-"

"We could always use another helping hoof with the home making projects," said Rarity. "It's not a difficult job, even without magic."

"- actually, I'm-"

"Ooh, you should totally help me with melting the ice lakes," Pinkie Pie chirped. "The more the merrier and can you think of a better job to break the ice?"

"-already in-"

"And if nothing works for you, you can always help me with the organization," Twilight added. "I'm sure Spike would appreciate a break every so often and with all the work we've got, I'm sure we'll find something you can do."

"But-"

The door leading back to the spa parlor flung open and in stepped in a trio of stallions, all earth ponies. They scanned the spa furiously until their eyes fell upon the grey unicorn getting his hooves rubbed.

"So this is where you've been hiding," growled the tan stallion in the center. "We spent the last hour running around town looking for you just to find you soaking at the spa!"

"Has it really been an hour already? That song couldn't have been longer than four minutes."

"What's going on here?" Rarity stood up and reached for a bathrobe. "I thought I had this time booked for a private session. Honestly, I cannot believe Ponyville hosts such ruffians. Big Macintosh, does your sister know that you go around town rudely barging into the rooms of bathing mares?"

"Er-"

"And you!"

The two other ponies flinched as the angered mare turned to them.

"I recognize the two of you. Why, we're neighbors! I thought you two were kind, wonderful gentlecolts. What sort of excuse can you possible give for interrupting our little private time together so barbarically and so violently, Burnt Oak?"

"It's, uh, Caramel."

"Well, Caramel dear, please stop cowering behind Meadow Song. It is most unbecoming."

"Rarity, that's Lucky Clover," Pinkie quickly whispered.

"We're just looking to that guy," Lucky explain, pointed toward Ash, who was in the middle of washing away the mud on his face.

"Eeyup."

"Looking for Ash?" Twilight had now exited the hot tub as well. "Why?"

"He needs to be fitted for a harness and a plow," said Lucky Clover. "Anyways, we're awfully sorry for the intrusion but he was supposed to meet us at Sweet Apple Acres an hour ago and, well, you know how Miss Applejack is with slackers and liars. She's not happy with this guy, not one bit."

"Wonderful," Ash groaned. "Ah, sorry to cut this short, but I should probably get going. Thanks for inviting me, Rarity."

"Oh, think nothing of it. You should have told me you had plans. If Applejack gives you any grief, send her to me."

"Hold on," Twilight jumped in, stepping into Ash's path. "Fitting? Harnesses? Plows? What's going on?"

"Oh, didn't this guy tell you?" Caramel shrugged. "Big Macintosh sort of bullied him into joining the Plant Team."

"Eeyu-hey!"

"We can always use another stallion on the snow plows," said Lucky Clover, "especially considering how much snow we got this year. Clearing the fields are going to be a huge pain, yes indeed. Well, good bye Miss Rarity, Twilight, Pinkie Pie." He gave each mare a polite nod, and all four stallions were off.

"They never asked for my help," grumbled Spike, crossing his arms.

*****

Applejack gave the approaching unicorn a tired grin. "Hey there, Twilight. What brings yah down to the farm?"

"Oh, you know, just wanted to see a friendly face, ha ha."

"Is that right?" Applejack wondered aloud, her smile wavering. "'Cause you don't sound all that friendly. More grouchy like and grumpy really. Yah've been gettin' enough sleep, sugar cube? Ah know last night went kinda late."

"I got plenty of sleep last night, thank you."

"Well, that's good. Ah'd hate to imagine going through 'nother Winter Wrap Up without you and your checklist. Spring's never been more, what's the word, punctual since yah've been in charge of the schedule."

The smile Twilight returned appeared weak and forced, and Applejack soon let her own grin fade.

"All right, sugar cube." The farm mare placed a hoof on her friend's shoulder. "What's been botherin' yah?"

Twilight sighed. "Why didn't you tell us?"

"Uh, tell who what?"

Twilight pointed out to the distance, where Big Mac was giving a familiar grey unicorn directions. "About Ash. You could have said something about him being part of the Plant Team last night."

"Shoot, Twilight, Ah didn't mean to keep it a secret." The orange pony rubbed the back of her head as her face split into an awkward grin. "Just slipped mah mind is all. Why, if Big Mac hadn't reminded me today we still had to find a plow his size, Ah would have completely forgotten. Sorry 'bout that, Twilight."

"Oh."

Applejack waited for the unicorn to say more. "Uh, is that all?"

"Huh?" Twilight blinked and shook her head furiously. "S-sorry, just lost in thought. Anyways, I was wondering if, well, if you think Ash being part of the Plant Team is a good idea."

"Why wouldn't he be?"

"I don't know, I'm just think out loud, that's all. I mean, we want everything to go smoothly this year, and I just want to make sure everypony has a suitable job."

"Shoot, Twilight, yah don't have to worry 'bout a thing then," Applejack said with a laugh. "He ain't a farmer, but he's a pretty strong stallion. Ah'm sure he'll manage to keep up with the rest of the boys."

"Are you sure? I mean, are you sure Ash is alright with it? It sounded like your brother coerced him into helping."

"Twilight, yah know Big Mac. He ain't that pushy kind of pony. 'Sides, Ash didn't disagree."

"Yeah, but, he could just be trying to be polite. I mean-"

"Yah mean what?" Applejack snapped, throwing her hooves over her head. "Sorry if Ah'm being a bit short with yah, but if Ah didn't know better Ah'd say yah think the Plant Team ain't good enough for Ash."

"What?" Twilight gasped as she recoiled. "N-no, of course not! The Plant Team plays one of the most crucial roles during Winter Wrap Up. I'd never think something like that!"

"So what's the problem? And don't go sayin' there ain't one," Applejack added, swinging her hat over Twilight's muzzle before the unicorn could speak. "You're makin' too much of a deal for there not tah be one."

"I-I just want to make sure everypony has a wonder Winter Wrap Up this year," mumbled Twilight. "Especially Ash. It's his first Winter Wrap Up after all, and I want to help him fit in, to find the perfect job, one that let's him use his talents to the fullest."

"Is that it?"

"Well..." Twilight began to fidget with her hooves and kept her head low. Sensing something resting on her shoulder, she lifted her eyes and found Applejack waiting patiently.

"There's more, ain't there?" It was phrased as a question but the farm mare knew the answer. "If you're not comfortable sharin', not mah business to pry. But if yah need somepony tah hear yah out, Ah'm here."

This time, the smile Twilight returned was genuine. "Thanks, Applejack. It's just..." Twilight groaned. "I feel awful for saying this, but I was kind of hoping for Ash to have a little more trouble deciding."

"Trouble? That doesn't sound like yah, Twi. Don't yah hate it when a plan doesn't stay together?"

"But that was my plan," said Twilight. "All of us were going to work hard together to find the perfect job for him, just like the five of you did for me. We were going to try building nests with Rarity and the rest of her group, then try ice skating before helping Fluttershy with waking the hibernating bears and, and..." She took a deep breath. "It's just, I remember my first Winter Wrap Up here in Ponyville, and I want to give Ash a similar experience."

"Yah want him tah crash into a snow bank, get stung by a bunch of bees, have tah bathe in tomato juice tah wash off skunk spray, before causin' a six pony pileup in the fields?"

"You're exaggerating," Twilight grumbled. "It was four ponies at most. And that's not what I meant. I just wanted to help him feel like he truly belongs in Ponyville, and, well, I guess Ash doesn't really need my help, and I can't help but feel a little disappointed, maybe even a little...jealous."

"Jealous? You?"

The unicorn nodded slowly. "He fitted in so easily. It took him, what, less than a day to find his place when it took me almost the entire event before I discovered how I could help."

"Twilight..."

"I should be happy Ash getting along with the Plant Group so well. I should be happy knowing he'll fit in with the rest of the stallions of Ponyville. If I was a good friend, I would be happy that Ash doesn't need my help, that he can find his place without me...but I'm not. I'm not happy he's doing so well. I told myself I wanted to help him, but I think I just wanted Ash to want my help." Twilight slumped against the fence behind her. "I'm not being a very good friend, am I?"

"Well, we're all learnin', aren't we, how tah be good friends? Kinda the reason why we're pen pals to Princess Celestia." Applejack's chuckles quickly subsided as she grew solemn. "Did yah talked tah Ash 'bout all this?"

"Um, no."

"Have yah tried?"

Twilight shuffled in place silently. "I thought about it, on the way here. Does that count?"

"It's a start, Ah guess," Applejack said, holding down a hoof with the other as it threatened to fly into her face. "Ah just hope yah'll follow through. Yah can't just keep this a secret to yahself. Let Ash know how yah feel right now."

"You really think talking will help? I mean, what if he gets angry at me for wanting him to want my help? What if I hurt his feelings? Guys are like that, right?"

"What, prideful? Shoot, everypony's got some sense of pride, though Ah guess boys are a little more sensitive 'bout it," Applejack said with a smirk. "Listen, Ah don't know what else tah tell yah. Honestly and truly, Ah believe the best way to deal with all this is tah let Ash know 'bout it. If yah want some support, Ah can round up the girls, and we'll be standing right next tah yah. But really, how mad do yah think that stallion'll get?"

Applejack let her words sink in, then set her hat back onto her head. "Ah've got a few more chores tah do inside. Yer welcome tah join me, Ah can still lend an ear."

Twilight shook her head. "No, it's alright, I've got it. I need to talk to Ash when he gets back, so I'd better prepare myself first." She swung a leg over Applejack's shoulders and smiled. "Thanks, Applejack."

"Shucks, Ah'm just glad to help. Yah be sure to talk to him soon, okay?"

"Don't worry, I know. I've got to tell him soon."

*****

"I've got to tell him soon," Twilight whispered to her reflection, barely visible by the dying candle light. She turned to the calendar tacked next to the mirror, her eyes focuses on a single circled date. In that little square, Spike had neatly written 'Winter Wrap Up' in bold red letters.

The unicorn's purple ears twitched at the ticking of a clock sitting nearby. Eleven thirty five, it read. In less than half an hour, that day marked on her calendar would be here, and she still hadn't spoken a significant word to Ash, her promise to Applejack unfulfilled.

"I've got to tell him soon."

"Tell who what soon?"

If she hadn't been so tired, Twilight would had jumped. Slowly she turned to face the grey unicorn behind her, rubbing his eyes sheepishly.

"Sorry for startling you like that," Ash said quietly.

"It's fine. You're not tired?"

"Dead tired," he responded with a muffled yawn. "But I can't sleep. You too?"

"Something like that, I guess," she answered with a yawn. "Is something bothering you?"

"Just nerves, I think."

"You're nervous?"

"Well, yeah," Ash said. "I mean, the entire idea of changing the seasons ourselves is still kind of surreal to me. Winter becoming spring has always been something I never really thought about, and something I just took for granted."

"So you really don't have Winter Wrap Up where you come from. The seasons really change on their own, huh?"

"Yes, all on their own, or by the hand of spirits if you're into fairytales. To actually put effort into making spring come, it's a whole new perspective for me. I never thought about how the snow disappeared or how the birds came back from the south or how all the animals knew when to awaken. To me, it just...happened. The snow disappeared, the air grew less cold, just like that, without me having to give even a thought."

Ash closed his eyes and lowered his voice. "And it scares me."

"Scares you?" Twilight said in surprise. "What does? Why?"

"You know how we have to clear the fields before planting can begin, right?"

"Yes," Twilight said slowly and with uncertainty.

"The planters can't begin sowing seeds until the snow's gone but we can't just melt the snow or all the soil turns to mud. That snow needs to be moved first. If it's not, the fields can't be planted, grass won't grow, and the animals won't have anything to eat or make shelters with. No fields, no food, and then everyone starves." With his hooves running through his gray mane and an exhausted look on his face, Ash had the appearance an overworked professor. "That level of responsibility is frightening, and you ponies deal with that every single year? Without magic? Madness.

"I want to do a good job, I really do," he continued. "After everything Ponyville's done for me, after everything you've done for me, it's the least I can do. I mean, if it wasn't for you, I would've never been able to join the Plant Team."

"M-me? I didn't do anything," protested Twilight. "Big Macintosh asked you to join because of your strength."

"No matter how strong a stallion he is, do you think Mr. Macintosh would have asked a stranger to take part in such a sacred and important ritual?"

The young mare frown in thought. If she had to be honest, no, she couldn't imagine the elder Apple sibling delegating such a job to somepony he didn't trust.

"But he does trust you," Twilight blurted out, more as to answer her own inner dialogue.

"Only through you. Remember when we first met, how frightened I was, and how frightened you and the entire town were?"

"It was more of morbid curiosity than fear really."

"Does curiosity normally lead to getting hogtied and tackled?"

"That's just Pinkie Pie and...you were hogtied?"

"Applejack," Ash said, chuckling at the memory. "I was looking for a bathroom, and she jumped me."

"Even so, you passed through town without a single incident, didn't you," Twilight argued.

"Yes, because the six of you were with me. And because I met the six of you, I felt safe, well, safer. The only reason I've managed to get this far is by becoming...your friend. The only reason I'm comfortable enough to take part in tomorrow's event is because you became my friend. And also the whole 'turn into pony' spell," Ash added with a small jesting grin.

Twilight smiled as well. "I did help you in the end, didn't I?"

"Yeah, you did." Ash sighed, and his grin faded. "And now all that trust is about to be tested. The entire fate of spring rests on our shoulders, and that's a heavy weight. What if I screw up? I know I just have to follow everyone else's lead and push a plow, but what if something happens, and I end up betraying that trust? I'll ruin spring and everything you've done to help me become a part of Ponyville" His body shook as he grew frantic. "What if I can't keep up with everyone else? What if I end up breaking the plow? What if I get separated and fall into the lake? Or what if-"

A purple hoof found it's way onto the quivering stallion's shoulder. Twilight's touch steadied him as he took a deep breath. "S-sorry," he apologized. "I'm a bit nervous."

"Listen, you'll be fine," Twilight assured. "I'm positive you'll do a great job, no matter what. Sure, Big Macintosh knows you through Applejack and I, but he invited you on his team because of your...amazing plowing abilities? Or something like that."

"But what if I mess up?"

"Ponyville's a very forgiving place. Even if you mess up, nopony'll hold a grudge. We're all in this together, okay? Spring isn't on just your shoulders, it's on all of ours. Have I told you how my first Winter Wrap Up in Ponyville went down?"

"No, but seeing how you're now the head coordinator, I imagine it went swimmingly."

"Hah!" Twilight laughed. "As if. I tried just about every job I could find, and each one ended horribly. But everything turned out alright in the end, despite all my mistakes. Spring came on time, and I found the perfect job for me. I'm sure your first Winter Wrap Up will be even better."

"You really think so?"

"Yes, I do. If you need any help, just look for me. I'll never be too busy to help a friend, so don't be afraid to ask, okay?" Twilight gave the stallion a quick embrace and a pat on the back. "Now let's go to bed. We've got a big day ahead of us tomorrow."

"Yeah, we do."

The two unicorns separated and made their way to their beds after wishing each other pleasant dreams. Slowly, Ash's eyes closed as their lids grew too heavy to hold.

"Um?".

"Hm?" .

"I...I'm sorry."

Twilight's whispers continued even as the hour hand passed twelve. The candle had long been extinguished.

*****

"How are we progressing, Spike?"

The little dragon quickly ran through the checklist in front of him. "Looks like we're ahead of schedule, Twilight. Wanna take a break?"

The unicorn shook her head. "Not yet. We'll wait for everypony else to take theirs first. But let's use this time to check on Rarity and make sure her team has enough supplies and-"

A familiar tan colored stallion ran forward, burying Twilight's distracted assistant under a pile of straw.

"Twilight, you have to come quick!" he scream frantically. "G-g-grab a first aid kit and blankets and rope and-"

"Carmel, calm down," Twilight said, helping Spike onto his feet. "What happened.

"It's Ash! He got separated from the main group and fell into the frozen lake!"

"...Spike, grab the blankets and some hot water."

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment