• Published 4th Jun 2013
  • 1,234 Views, 53 Comments

My Little Bionicle: Quest for the masks - Toa Coy



This is the continuation of My Little Bionicle: Destiny is magic please read that story before this one...Twilight and her friends have been sent to Mane Nui to help the Toa Mata to save the island and the villagers. Meanwhile things are happening in

  • ...
4
 53
 1,234

Don't go out at night

My Little Bionicle: Quest for the Masks
By
Toa Coy, Co-author Blazikenking
(To be) Edited by Cade the Sharkbear

Chapter 3 and it has just turned to May, it will be later but I just want to put that in.

~Toa Coy~

Chapter 3: Don’t go out at night

Artemis thought was she was in Twilight's home, or she remembered going to sleep in the library, but the area around her was a wasteland with only shells of normal buildings laying untouched for some time. Artemis wanted to scream until she noticed that there was no moon in the sky and it looked quite dark.

“This isn't right. There is always either a moon or sun in any dream to tell what time it is” the filly thought. Then out of the corner of her eye, she saw a dark cloud move from one building to another. Since this was a dream and she was not an outside observer, she had to play along, which meant no magic but there were no rules against shadow, which no doubt had something to do with this.

Moving slowly, Artemis followed the cloud as it seemed to form into ponies that were long gone, somewhere buried in the ground with only their faces visible. Others were not as lucky. Even knowing this was a dream did not make her stop having flashbacks to her time as Nightmare Moon. Then everything around her changed into that flashback but she remained the same. The scene was now like some kind of horde came through and pillaged the town. Flames danced on the roofs of the houses and the once buried dead now laid above ground and had burns on them.

Too many ponies, this would be horrific and scar them for life, but this memory was why Artemis disowned the monster that created her and clung to the mare that not only shared her experience and has stood facing her demons.

“Tricks of this nature will do you no good” Artemis emulated her mother. “Show me my past all you want you shall not break me.”

Saying that, a mass of blackness began to turn into a familiar form.

“Touche” Artemis said, looking at the form that she once took.

This Nightmare Moon lacked any noticeable detail that the original had. Artemis could see outline of a what seemed armor but aside from the whites of the eyes and silver in the mane.

“You speak large for such a small creature” a monotone voice said, seeming to stare down the alicorn.

“And you even speak. Not bad for a fake” Artemis said as she ducked under a bolt of shadow.

----

Spike and Owlowiscious awoke to the sounds of Artemis thrashing around in the spare bed that was now in Twilight's room. It was about two hours since they started working on the research that Twilight had sent them, and about an hour in, Artemis fell asleep reading the sea pony book. Spike knew how to deal with this, but he never actually tried it. Using his dragon strength, he gently lifted her onto his shoulder. It took some hoping and praying, but Spike was able to get the young alicorn to bed. Now he had to deal with this.

“What's going on?” Spike said rubbing his eyes.

“Who” Owlowiscious said pointing towards the trashing alicorn.

“I know who she is but what is going on?” Spike replied finally seeing that she was the cause of the commotion. “Could she be having a nightmare?

“Who?” the owl said shrugging then flying over and got parchment with quill and ink.

“Oh you want me to get Princess Luna to see what's the matter.” Spike was about to reach for the items when Artemis bolted up from the bed. For a second her eyes were pure white with shadows coming off them before returning to normal.

Spike and Owlowiscious were shocked at what just happen. Artemis meanwhile was scanning the room for something.

“Spike, I need you to get my mother now.” Artemis said as shadows began to pull towards her.

“I was just about to do that.” Spike said confused at what she was doing as a ball of shadow floated to her side. “What are you doing?”

“Finding what was once not there” Artemis spoke as the ball grew bigger, then something seemed to jet out of the corner of the room. The ball of shadow split into four smaller parts and lifted the thing up into the air. It was short and had black skin, blue eyes, with an antenna coming from it’s head, a silver insignia on it's back, clawed hands, and large feet.

“What in Celestia's name is that thing?!?!” Spike said jumping back.

“The order sent it and it wasn't the only one.” Artemis said as several shadows dashed away.

----

Twilight took a deep breath and focused her magic on the five ponies and herself. Shifting time and space was second nature to her, but the magic feedback from the Nuians was strange. There was an energy coming from them that seem out of place, and by no means could she not teleport them, but it was different. In a blink of an eye the six were moved from Ta-wahi beach to a forest next to Ga-koro beach.

“Okay, that felt weird. Does she do this all the time?” Macku said after the teleportation.

“T'aint that bad.” Applejack said looking around her. “Twi this doesn't look like a place for underwater critters.”

“I choose this place because I didn't know how it worked, so I played it safe.” Macku said as she headed towards the village.

The group followed her and the equestrians got their first look at Ga-Koro. Aside from the empty village, it looked like nothing happened. Twilight would have asked how the village was constructed but the atmosphere was one of fear, not curiosity.

“Hey what's that tube over there?” Pinkie said, bouncing over to a lily pad close to said tube.

“Wait a minute there was a hut here before I left.” Macku said looking at the pump on the pad. “Dang. The gear is missing. It must have fallen in the water.”

“I could levitate the hut back up.” Twilight said offering her assistance.

“No it has to be done with the pump. That is a storage hut, and it functions on how buoyant it is.” Macku said then jumped into the water.

“We should listen to her Twilight, I mean she does know more than we do” Fluttershy said, getting a nod from the other equestrians.

After a few moments Macku appear on the surface with a gear in her mouth. Knowing that her speech would be impeded, she simply pointed at the gear. Twilight understood and levitated the gear up to the pump, inserted it into the slot, and pushed the button. The sounds of the machine pumping and moving water filled the air.

Before the group could see the hut another sound, like a roaring dragon, came to them.

“What was that?” Twilight asked looking at the others.

“That sounded like a Tarakava, but it was much deeper than their normal calls.” Macku said, knowing that sound.

The hut broke the surface of the water and was about to open when a teal tarakava jumped out of the water with its crimson eyes focused on the ponies. The aquatic lizard bared it's teeth and went for the armored equestrians, confusing them for the Toa. Which got proven by the fire that was now on its back with a torrent of water hitting it in the face. Tahu and Gali had used the group to draw the attention of the rahi and attacked once they were in position. The tarakava ignored the elemental attacks and went for the toa. Using its legs, it pushed off of the lily pad and shot for Tahu, but the kanohi hau made a shield, keeping him safe and opened the rahi to Gali's attack. A massive volume of water came out of the ocean and knocked the rahi off the village into the sea. Gali dived into the ocean and continued to fight the Tarakava.

Above the water the equestrians were stunned, more so for RD and Rarity, at what they just saw. An earth/sea pony just used what was similar to a unicorn using magic.

“That was amazing!” Rainbow Dash said spreading her wings. “The way that earth pony commanded the water was like magic.”

“As a toa of water, she can do that.” Nokama said as the tarakava came back up and fell down onto the lily pad with Gali standing behind it.

“Impressive, sister” Tahu put the hilt of his sword on his shoulder. “But you could have at least let me get a few more blows in.”

“You were at a disadvantage. Besides, it was my duty to my village.” Gali replied as Fluttershy looked at the rahi.

“My goodness this poor thing has been changed by something that gave it such a horrible attitude.” Fluttershy said to the rahi, who eyes opened to be gold. “Are you feeling better?”

Much to the toa and nuians surprise, the tarakava nodded and got up, heading back to the sea.

“Make sure to stay away from those crimson eyes.” Fluttershy called out waving to the Tarakava.

“What just happened?” Takua spoke for the nuians.

“Just Fluttershy being herself.” Rainbow said happy to see her friends.

It was at this time Nokama called attention to her.

“I must thank both the toa and the group of ponies that freed us from the hut but I believe the other villages may be in danger.” Nokama said then looked directly at the two toa. “The others are waiting for you.”

Tahu and Gali nodded then headed for the mainland, leaving the mane six with the Ga-ponies and Takua.

“Don't the other villages have Turaga in them?” Twilight asked thinking that it would be logical for each village.

“There were only six Turaga to begin with. Each of us took care of the outlying villages, with the Vo-ponies being in the only one that falls under more than one Turaga's control.” Nokama replied.

“So you want us to go and check on these villages.” Rainbow Dash said bluntly.

“And do this while the toa meet and look for the masks.” Twilight said giving the other two a 'I'll explain later' look.

“That is why I want you to do this,” Nokama said her tone serious instead of her calm tone. “The forces behind the rahi attack will explore it.”

Applejack was aware that the turaga were hiding something from the ponies in their care. 'they are hiding the order from everypony.' Applejack realized. ‘it is like applebucking: Think of a field instead of the trees. Have one enemy and fighting is easier.'

AJ spoke her thoughts, “We can do it, I mean we are here to help.” She look to Twilight and saw that on the trek there they were going to talk about this.

“Do you have a map for the island?” Nokama asked.

“Yes we do.” Twilight replied.

“Then go to Ce-koro, I have a feeling that they are in more danger than we ever were.

----

Cué was thankful that she and the other Ce-ponies built this hidden room in the center of the main building. They foresaw this day and worked so their knowledge would not be used in a harmful way. Also because they saw this day coming there was no hint of shadow in the room. Just then a deep female voice that did not belong to one of them outside of the room.

“These dumb rahi can't find one blasted Ce-pony and they've combed the entire village.”

Then another voice spoke, “Then we use the shadows and wait.”

----

Luna was not pleased with the letter she had just received from Spike. While she and Celestia questioning Sombra was going nowhere, besides Luna planing to cause bodily harm to the dark unicorn, the order tried to go after her daughter again. The night guards posted around the library and Ponyville reported nothing, yet in the letter that she received said it was a creature made of shadow. It was at this time that Luna remembered her encounter with that strange pony that stole the alicorn amulet.

“The shadows are no longer under your control princess of the night, then again when were they ever were.”

Luna realized now that she had no way to command shadows as Artemis can, which also meant that any thing made of shadow could not be stopped by her night guards. It was at this time Celestia walked into the room that her sister was staying while in the Crystal Empire, she noticed the look of fear in her sister's eyes.

“Luna what is the matter?” Celestia said with concern seeing that look in the ruler of the night's eye.

“The shadows are no longer under my control...I am so blind.” Luna said in disbelief at first then a tear came to her eyes. “To think that I could not see the threat in his words.”

“Luna what are you talking about?” Celestia asked confused and worried about her sister in such a state. “Is it something that Sombra said or has something happened?”

“Artemis was attack by creatures made of shadow. The night guard did not know of this until Artemis contacted them.” Luna said in tears.

Celestia knew that Luna needed her to comfort her. With that a wing wrapped around the lunar princess and brought her close to her sister.

“I will have my guards retrieve this creature.” Celestia said holding her sister tight. “Come the night has ended.”

With that both of them got up and walked out of the room.

----

Twilight and the other mane six made it to Ce-Koro by nightfall. They found a village much different from either Ta or Ga-Koro and the buildings seem to be made out of gold and marble. To the equestrian it seemed like a some ancient ruins, given they had yet to see anypony else.

“Okay this place looks awesome,” RD said looking at the buildings. “but this is a little bit creepy.”

“I must agree,” Rarity said looking at some blue banners hanging from a few of the buildings. “Something seems off.”

“Well it is late we should make camp for the night.” Twilight said summoning some candles. “We need to have two of us to stay up for a three hour watch shifts changing before the fourth hour.”

“Not to sound rude but you never said that we would be camping.” Rarity said as the others began to look for room for their camp.

“Ya didn't think everything would be like a vacation, did ya.” Applejack replied. “Now hush up or you're on the last watch.”

“You wouldn't.” Rarity said with disbelief.

“Ah would.”

----

The Toa Mata first formal meeting went well, until corrupt rahi and the weather interrupted them. Before the fighting began Tahu and Gali meet Lewa, who was a toa of air that was fun loving and a laid back joker, and Ouna, a quiet but wise toa of earth. Lewa's forest green armor was a nice contrast to his lime green coat, spring green spiky mane and tail, while his yellow eyes spoke of a warrior. While Onua's obsidian armor was not as contrasting as Lewa's, even with his lighter grey coat and gun-metal flat mane and tail, but his bright green eyes seem to pop out of the diamond shaped mask.

The four talked for a time, Tahu and Gali spoke of the fight that they had in Ga-koro and the Equestrians that had arrived.

“I must deep-think,” Lewa said if the meeting was recorded. “These six mares arrive and are strange-weird.”

“They have either coat color or attribute that does not fit into what we have heard about the matoran on this island.” Ouna said adding to the le-pony's statement.

“They are also armored like us but lack any mask built in their armor.” Tahu remembering how Twilight's horn glowed while her helmet remained without a light. “I did notice the gems in their chest plates.”

All eyes turned to the Toa of earth.

“As an earth toa you must have know what type they are right?” Tahu said voicing the others thoughts.

It was about this time that an avalanche caused by a brown armored pony that was tan coat, had a messy copper mane and tail, rose pink eyes, and extra tan armor on his hooves.

“Sorry.” He said as Kopaka came up behind him.

“I told you that snow is harder to move in then the desert that you call home.” The ice pony said.

With that the two slid down the side of the mountain to meet their brothers and sister. Once again the equestrians and the fight at Ga-koro was visited once again. This time Kopaka voiced his ideas.

“On my way here I encountered a creature of pure shadow, but it was nothing. Just a shadow, but nothing was there before.” Kopaka's eyes then shifted to a lone shadow in the area. “I was followed by the same thing, it's master are close but hidden. That maybe what caused the attack on your village.”

It was then that the Toa first battled as a team, six beings each different but one goal: protection. There is a finite limit that one being came do but with a group no limit is too great for them. With this battle a small symbol appeared on each of their armor. Loyalty on Kopaka, Laughter on Lewa, Generosity on Pohatu, Kindness on Gali, Honesty on Onua, and Magic on Tahu.

At the same time the mane six felt a change in their element, but they couldn't tell what it was. Also Mata Nui and the co-rulers felt the change, Mata Nui knew this open the door to ending a long war but not the shadow while the sisters felt something different.

----

“There are other Toa here in equestria.” Luna said as the sun began to rise.

“The order must know of them but have yet to track them,” Celestia said wearing a mift look. “But how do we know of this?”

With that a gleam of silver Mata Nui appeared.

“It seems we are yet to be done with each other.” He said with a small smile.

Author's Note:

You can blame me for the lateness of this, you can put the blame on me. In other news here is another Biopony, best I got, did; http://jfpierre.deviantart.com/art/My-Little-Bionicle-Kanohi-are-Magic-Digital-375751016