• Published 9th Feb 2012
  • 1,511 Views, 14 Comments

A Duel of Jewels - Pony Circuit



Spike deals with a threat to Ponyville while his friends are off on a wild goose chase.

  • ...
0
 14
 1,511

The I in Team

She had just gotten used to the darkness, but the glare of the sudden flame on the very far side of the cave was unmistakeable. Fluttershy tried very hard not to move, but felt herself sink down a little the trash anyway, the sound of Pinkie’s feverish breathing drowning out any other sound in the cave. Pinkie would need medicine soon. Fluttershy slowly and quietly took her saddlebags off, rummaging around. No… she didn’t have anything that would really help. Some bandages, but no medicine that would help a pony. She sighed to herself. Applejack would have had medicine, a whole medical kit. Applejack could always be relied upon to think of things like that on a trip. She started bandaging Pinkie’s wounds, hoping that she’d be able to clean them later.

Loud sounds rang out from the far side of the cave, and the giant pile of garbage shifted. Fluttershy eeped softly and curled up protectively around Pinkie as the Otyugh had started to move away. Relieved, Fluttershy looked up, seeing the creature pull itself towards the place where light was coming from. She started looking back down to check on Pinkie, but the light from the flaming torch glinted off something shiny lying on the ground. She checked the spot again, waiting until she saw the gleam again. With a start, she realized what it was.

Making sure Pinkie was safe, she slowly unfurled her wings and flew just above the layer of rubbish, being careful to not to disturb anything. The sounds grew louder, making her wince. She landed next to the green saddlebag, thankful that her friends had managed to leave something for her somehow after all. Fluttershy put it over her back and almost immediately fell down with a squeak. Applejack’s pack was far too heavy for her to carry. She opened it, looking through the contents for the little red pouch full of pills and ointments she knew her stalwart friend carried. She smiled to herself, Pinkie was going to be okay. There was a loud crack from the other side of the room and Fluttershy threw herself down again with another tiny eep. The echoes started to die down, and the light began to go out. The Otyugh had stopped moving, and Fluttershy quickly took the medicine back to Pinkie, fearfully glancing at the last place she had seen the monster, but thankful for the chance she was given.


. . .


Galloping hard, Applejack looked up into the sky, spotting a flight of crows circling above the farm, and sighed.

“And just what are you so exasperated about?” inquired an out of breath Rarity, the physical exertion taking its toll.

“Never you mind Rar.” AJ looked away, and slowed her pace so the unicorn could rest a little.

“I insist Applejack. You’ve been in a mood ever since before Pinkie and Fluttershy…” she teetered off, unwilling to think about the pain her two friends must be facing, “before we went into that… cave. The others may not have noticed, but I did.”

“Its nothin’ you need to worry about. Its banal and selfish, and quite frankly it's beneath me to even think about it.”

“I assure you Applejack, your secret is safe with me.”

“Do you know what time of year it is?”

“Why of course, it’s the week before the Spring Equinox.”

“Yeah. And why am ah never around this time of year?”

“Well, you’re normally working on the farm, working on the…” realization dawned on Rarity’s face.

“On the Zap Apple harvest. Exactly.”

“So why did you come with us then?”

“Because Twi asked me to. And she wouldn’t ask for mah help at this time of year unless it was really important. Ah know what mah priorities are, Rarity. No matter what the task, we Apples are up to the job.”

“And why is that?”

Applejack shrugged. “It’s what we do. Saving ponies, farming things: the family business. Macintosh can handle gettin’ the harvest ready, hopefully. And if he can’t, well… mah friends' lives are more important than a good harvest. Even if it could cost the farm.”

“I’m certain that your brother is more than capable of keeping things under control. With any luck we’ll be able to save our friends before the Zap Apples ripen. After all, crows are only the second sign, no?“ Rarity bore a pensive look on her face.

“Well, no, they’re the thi-“

“IDEA!” Rarity exclaimed gleefully. “Applejack…” she wheedled. “Surely it wouldn’t be too much fuss to get some sap from one of the zap apple trees?”

“Wait, what now?” Applejack raised an eyebrow.

Rarity fluttered her eyelashes until AJ shot her an unamused look. “The ingredient called for the sap of an apple tree, not a Zap Apple tree. Heck, mah family hasn’t even found out all the effects of zap apples, and we’ve been harvestin’ them for over 50 years. If we deviate from the plan now, we could mess things up for everypony.”

“Come now Applejack.” Rarity spoke with the air of one infinitely wiser, causing Applejack to roll her eyes and sigh. “Zap apples have all that natural magic within them, and I’ve been working with Twilight on several mystical experiments now, I insist that the sap of a zap apple tree will work much better.”

“Y’know, we don’t actually have any 20 year old trees right? The only ones we’d be able to find that are that young would be in the Everfree forest somewhere.”

“So we’ll just go into the Everfree and find one. Get in, get out. Evade anything that tries to stop us.” Rarity looked quite determined, a glint in her eyes.

“You do realize that the forest is dirty right?”

“Well to borrow a phrase somepony once told me; I know my priorities. And with Celestia as my witness, I shall not leave my friends in peril a moment longer than I have to.” Rarity put on a burst of speed and ran towards the deep dark of the Everfree forest, Applejack following within seconds.

“We just need to be careful. After all, how many times have we told our sisters never to go into the Everfree?”


. . .


Lyra hugged the three little fillies close. It was getting cold in the dungeons, and the new guard had prohibited her from playing any more music. She sported a few more bruises for her earlier defiance, but had protected the little fillies from harm. For the first few hours, they had talked endlessly about how their sisters and heroes would come save them all. Lyra knew of the ponies they talked of, but wasn’t really friends with any of them. As the cold started to settle in and there were still no signs of rescue, the three little fillies started to give in to despair. Lyra did her best to distract them with songs and fairy tales, but eventually it was no use.

From the conversations she’d overheard from the guards, she knew that Spike had managed to escape somehow, but even she had given up hope on the dragon managing to find somepony to help them. She also found out the identity of their captor, but she refused to let the foals give up, even if she didn’t truly believe that somepony could stop Prince Blueblood. As a former resident of Canterlot, she’d heard of the prince, but had never met him in person, even with her friendship with Princess Cadence. She had seen him in his publicity stunts, but never paid any attention to the pony who in her mind was an overblown windbag.

Ahead of her, the guard dog snapped to attention. The head honcho, Prince Overblown Windbag himself stepped into the cells with a dead set expression.

“So, which ponies did that dragon talk to?” The imperious tone of Canterlot’s most well known prince sounding harsher than he ever had to his (not usually captive) audiences. When the dog pointed to her cell, she nudged the fillies awake and whispered to them to be quiet, telling them to hide behind her.

“And what exactly did the dragon talk to you about, hmm?” Blueblood leered at the cage with one bloodshot eye. He turned back to the guard. “Leave us, cur.” The dog trotted out, leaving Blueblood face to face with Lyra and the three fillies under her protection. “And just what do we have here, hmm? A quarrelsome mare, and a trio of foals. Why would that dragon have wanted to talk to you?”

Applebloom glared at Prince Blueblood, heedless of his size and appearance. “He followed us here because he wanted to help his friends! Who helps you, you big bully? Monsters? You’re alone and you know it!”

Blueblood’s left eye began twitching and he opened the cell door with his master key. He looked ready to strike Applebloom, but Scootaloo and Sweetie quickly stood in his way, with Lyra stepping forward in front of them too.

"You're not going to touch them you bastard." Lyra snarled. Blueblood barely glanced at her before backhoofing her across the face.

“Foolish foal, you think that dragon will be able to help you? Friends or no, he stands no chance of escaping.” He laughed manically, spittle flying everywhere. Lyra flinched under the rain of expectoration. “Even now, my best three dogs are on the trail of that rude, uncouth dragon. He’s as good as done for,” Blueblood grinned triumphantly and turned around to exit. “Now I know he had no real aim in coming here, I have nothing to worry about.”

Lyra turned down and whispered to Scootaloo. “Get your friends ready to run.”

“What?” replied the perplexed Pegasus.

“You’ll know it when it happens.” Lyra smiled to herself and lunged at Blueblood in a crash tackle.


. . .


“Argh! So many ponies!” Rover complained angrily. “And so colourful! How can they stand it?”

“I think they’re pretty,” Fido said, be rewarded with a cuff across his ear for his troubles.

“You don’t think they’re pretty because you don’t think! Spot, where is the dragon?”

“The scaled one has left again… he’s gone towards the tunnel in the forest.”

“Good. Run dogs! This place is much too silly and frilly for my liking.” Rover and Spot loped off towards the forest, Fido giving a soft whine and casting a longing look towards the peaceful village of pony folk before following suit.


. . .


Spike walked down the path Twilight always took through the Everfree Forest to get to Zecora’s hut, eager to try and get some help from the pony he could always rely on. He hoped he still had time to fix everything before something awful happened to Applebloom and his other friends. Thankfully, within ten minutes of wandering, he saw a familiar silhouette trotting towards him. As soon as she realized who was on the path, Twilight started galloping towards him, calling his name.

“Twilight! Thank Celestia I found you, I could really use your-” the little dragon was swept up into a big hug by the lavender unicorn.

“Oh Spike… I’m so sorry… I have to do something right now… if anything happens to me, please, take care of Owlowiscious and… tell my parents, and the Princess… and my brother…” Twilight hugged him close, tears flowing freely.

“What? What’s wrong? Twilight, you’re starting to scare me.” Spike put a claw on her face. “Just tell me what’s wrong.”

“I love you so much Spike.” Twilight put Spike back down, wiping the tears from her eyes. “You’re the best friend and assistant I could ever ask for. But there’s something really important that I have to do. I’ll tell you all about it when I get back.”

“Twilight, no. I’ve been kept in the dark by Rainbow, Applejack, even Rarity. But not you too. I deserve the truth.”

Twilight sighed. “You’re right Spike.” She took a moment, gathering her thoughts. “We were looking for those missing ponies and found a trail that led to a cave. There was this thing in there, an Otyugh, some kind of ancient monster… and... well… it got Pinkie. We tried to get her out, but the Otyugh was too big, too dangerous. It separated us from her, and Fluttershy stayed behind to try and keep Pinkie safe. The others and I… we’re trying to make a potion, something that will put the Otyugh back to sleep, but I don’t know if we’ll all make it…”

“Well then, let me help you!”

“No! It’s bad enough that my friends are going to be in danger… If I knew my family would be too…” Twilight started crying again. “I don’t think I can do this…”

Spike gripped Twilight by the shoulders, and looked right into her eyes. “You’re Twilight Sparkle. The most magical unicorn in all of Equestria. Hoof chosen by Princess Celestia herself. The bearer of the Element of Magic. And the wisest, most smartest, pony I know. There’s nothing that you can’t do.”

Twilight smiled, the flow of tears slowing. “Thank you Spike. You’re always there for me when I need you. Just like how I need to be there for my friends. I know you’re more than capable of taking care of yourself; it would just give me peace of mind if I knew you’d be safe. I know that whatever task you put yourself to, you’ll achieve it.” Twilight gave her long time friend and companion a nuzzle. “Remember Spike, I’m counting on you to take care of the foals. I know you’re more than up to the challenge.”

Spike looked down. Twilight already had enough problems to deal with without him burdening her with his own. But something Twilight said made him think. She believed in him, just as he believed in her. Maybe, just maybe, he’d be able to do things himself.

He looked back at Twilight. “You know I am. Just promise me something, okay?”

“What?”

“Promise me that I won’t have to tell your family anything, because you’ll be safe.”

Twilight put a hoof on his hand gently. “I promise I’ll do my best. Now I have to go find the others to finish this potion.”

“I saw Rainbow in the library earlier, but I don’t think Applejack and Rarity have got everything yet.”

“Thank you again Spike.”

“Anytime Twilight. I have something I need to take care of too, so I’ll see you at Fluttershy’s when you’re all safe?”

“Definitely.” Twilight smiled at him, before galloping back in the direction of Ponyville.

Spike turned around, filled with the confidence that he could do anything, thanks to Twilight’s faith. He knew he had to get back to the tunnel near Fluttershy’s cottage to save the foals, and everypony else trapped by the Diamond Dogs, as well as figuring out some way of disarming Blueblood’s bomb. There was just one thing in his way. Well, more accurately, three things.

“Hello dragon,” Rover grinned menacingly.

. . .


“Well? Which way do we go?” Rarity looked around the clearing from tree to tree, completely lost.

“Give me a second would you? Granny Smith never gave me the complete directions on how she got to that grove, and she was a scared little filly at the time.” Applejack sat down and thought for a few minutes. “There,” she pointed, “that way.”

“Why that way?”

“Zap Apple’s have a particular scent before their harvest. Ah’d recognize it anywhere. It’s like Pinkie says; when in doubt, always follow your nose.”

“I hope you’re right.”

The two ponies trotted in the darkness, Rarity providing a soft light with her horn to guide the path. Applejack’s nose had led them true, both of their jaws dropping upon seeing the grove. It was more colourful than Granny Smith had described it, and far more vivid with flora. Rarity let out a soft gasp at the sight, and Applejack trotted around in wonder, touching the odd tree as she gazed in awe at the wild orchard of apples that had led to the creation of Ponyville. By rights, this spot would be a Ponyville landmark, had it been located anywhere but the Everfree Forest. She could hear a voice talking to her, but didn’t heed it at all, completely lost in the splendour of nature. A jab from a hoof broke her out of her reverie.

“Huh? Wha?”

“Applejack? Equestria to Applejack? I asked you which tree we should get the sap from.”

“Oh. That one.”

“How can you tell?”

Applejack rolled her eyes. “Do ah question you on stitchin’ hems and the such?”

“Point taken, now, if you’d be so kind as to help me get some sap out of the tree?”

Applejack trotted up to the tree and placed her hoof on its trunk. “Hey there little tree,” she whispered. “Don’t mind me, ah just need to get some sap out of you. Ah’m dreadful sorry, but it’s really important.”

Rarity huffed, but didn’t say anything. Applejack slowly scraped the bark with the edge of her hoof humming a soft melody, until the tree started leaking sap.

“There we go, that’s a good tree.” She turned to Rarity. “Okay, he’s ready, got the jar?”

Rarity elevated the small flask out of her saddlebag with her magic, opening it and touching the tip to the side of the tree, the sap slowly sliding down into it. “There. Now we just need to find Twilight and then we can get our friends home safe and sound.” She recorked the flask and wrapped it in a protective coating, putting it back into her saddlebag. She turned back to look at Applejack, who was looking around with a worried expression. “Something wrong?”

“Can’t you hear it?” A twig snapped somewhere around them, Applejack turning quickly, her ears perked up in alert.

“Wha-What is it?” Rarity stuttered nervously.

“Aw heck, ah should’ve realized… the first sign… timber wolves…”

“What do we do?” Rarity looked around, trying to find a courage inside herself as the first wolf stepped into the orchard.

“Get into the tree Rar, double time!” AJ lowered her body, allowing herself to be used as a stepping pad to help her friend up. Rarity understood immediately, climbing into the tree as best she could. More timber wolves started pouring into the clearing, slavering and howling as they caught sight of prey in their territory.

“Applejack! Hurry! They’re getting closer!”

AJ leapt up, wincing from an earlier bruise and failed to reach the lower branches. Desperation in her eyes, she tried climbing up the trunk of the tree, hooves scrabbling hopelessly. Seeing her friend’s predicament, Rarity wrapped herself around the branch and reached a hoof down to try and help her. AJ jumped again despite the pain, just managing to grasp Rarity’s hoof with her own. Rarity groaned, unused to holding the weight of another pony, and tried her best to pull the earth pony up, the timber wolves already leaping and snapping at Applejack’s trailing hind legs. Looking up, Applejack saw Rarity start to slip off her already precarious perch on the branch and immediately understood what needed to be done.

“Rarity… let go.”

“What? They’ll kill you!”

“And if you hold on, you’ll fall too.” Applejack tried to get her hoof free. “Just let me go!”

Rarity struggled to hold on, a look of sheer stubborn resolution on her face. “I’ll never let go Applejack. I’ll never let go.” She desperately tried to think of something, anything she could do, her hooves barely able to hold on to the branch.

Applejack looked up at Rarity with sad eyes and a soft smile. “Look after mah family for me.” She leaned up and bit Rarity’s hoof, the sudden pain and shock causing her to let go.

The serenity on Applejack’s face would haunt Rarity forever.

Comments ( 4 )

While their goes applejack or does she?

i hope she dies :raritystarry:

one, godf0006 you are a sick waste of * the following sentence has been censored due to it being so inappropriate that it is considered a crime against life itself if it were uttered * and second, sometin gonna save her. imaa be phsychic!:pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy:

This...this story hasn't been updated for almost 30 weeks? :fluttercry:

Login or register to comment