• Published 9th Feb 2012
  • 1,511 Views, 14 Comments

A Duel of Jewels - Pony Circuit



Spike deals with a threat to Ponyville while his friends are off on a wild goose chase.

  • ...
0
 14
 1,511

Into the Woods

The howls of dogs echoed off the walls of the tunnel. They were gaining on him.

Spike ran like never before, the images of a destroyed Ponyville filling his head. He had to find somepony, Twilight, Applejack, anypony! Surely they’d be back from task from the Princess by now. They’d know what to do.

But what could they do? The diamond dogs had kidnapped more than a score of ponies, not even including the Crusaders. Twilight would be disappointed in him for getting in so much trouble, even if it wasn’t his fault, and if something happened to the fillies, he was pretty certain that Rarity and Applejack would blame him for not taking care of them.

And Blueblood was building a bomb, a bomb, of all things. He’d seen the results of a Sonic Rainboom on Applejack’s old barn, and he’d heard of the magical outburst Twilight had had when he was hatched, compared to the sheer power and scale of this magical gem bomb, the town would be destroyed, the bomb’s magical and warping effects forever changing whatever it did not directly destroy.

He was just a library assistant! The biggest thing Twilight had ever had him handle was renovating the library after the Parasprite invasion. Coming up with Ponyville saving plans was well beyond his pay grade.

The harsh light of day poured in from a passage to his left. Taking a quick glance behind him, he decided to throw caution to the wind and go towards the light.


. . .


“You. The leader, Grover. Come here.”

“Its Rover boss pony. What is it?”

“That dragon knows we’re here. Bring him back to me. Alive, preferably.” Blueblood commanded.

“Why alive?”

“He may still be of some use, and that way we can find out whether he told anypony about us.”

Rover growled, but assented. “Fine boss. Me and my boys will get him.”

“Not all your ‘boys’. Call your guards back. Just go and fetch him with a couple of your dogs. Do we know what he was doing in here?”

If Rover was unhappy with Blueblood’s commands, he did not show it. “One of the boys said he saw him in the jail, but he got attacked by the new prisoners.”

“Hmm… maybe one of them knows something more about our intruder.” Blueblood strode off. “I shall see to them later. First bring me the fool who let a group of foals get the better of him. I shall be checking on the construction of the device.”

After he left, Rover shook his head. “I’m starting to hate this pony.”


. . .


It was mid afternoon. Out in the brown pockmarked wasteland near Ponyville’s preferred gem hotspot, two ponies galloped quickly, deep in search.

“Rar, can’t you do this yourself?” Applejack sounded annoyed. “We all have things to get. Ah don’t want to leave Fluttershy and Pinkie there for even longer because of your consarned prissiness.”

“Well, Applejack” Rarity replied haughtily, “I would be more than capable of completing this endeavour sans present company, but I need somepony to dig, and since I left the only one who’d be any use with assisting me looking after our siblings, that meant I had to resort to finding somepony who’s used to mucking around in the mud, in other words, you.”

Applejack didn’t know whether to feel insulted by the fashionista. “A little mud never hurt anypony, and what, you won’t touch dirt even to save a friend’s life?”

“I would too! I lay in that horrid little mud hole of yours for over five minutes during the Sisterhooves Social! I just see no need for me to waste my time chipping a hoof in the dirt when you could do it much faster; you’re used to being filthy after all.”

“But you go for mud baths at the…” AJ shut up and gritted her teeth. Fighting wasn’t going to make this go any faster. Just suck it up Applejack. Remember why you’re doing this. You weren’t strong enough or fast enough to help Fluttershy or Pinkie so you’ll make up for it whatever way you can. Even if it does mean having to endure this all day. Heck. At least she managed to get things done in there. I was just plain useless. “Right. So where do we get started?” she said brusquely.

“One moment please” Rarity trilled. She made a show of looking for gems with her magic, but inside, she despised herself. All her flaunted grace and elegance had been of no use in that dark cave. I couldn’t even do the slightest thing to aid my friends in there. Maybe Fluttershy was right. Maybe my love of fashion is just petty and frivolous. I should have seen that Fluttershy needed help with Pinkie, I could have helped her somehow… Well with Celestia as my witness, I shall do my best to save my friends! …Even if I need Applejack to help me.”Hmm… It’s as I thought. There doesn’t seem to be any precious stones anywhere around here.”

The farmer raised an eyebrow. “Ah thought that this place was filled with all kinds of gemstones. What happened?”

Rarity sighed softly. “There’s been a shortage of gems around Ponyville lately. It has affected some of my business with several of my more prominent clientele.”

Applejack’s accusing gaze softened. “Why didn’t you tell me? Ah would have done something to try and help.”

“Oh? And just what would you ‘have done’ exactly, pray tell? ‘Bucked’ the ground and made gems pop up?”

A scowl quickly replaced AJ’s sympathy. “Fine. Forget ah offered. Let’s just find that gem and get to the farm.”

“Fine!” Rarity turned up her nose. And what is she so angry for? Hmph.

Applejack rolled her eyes. “Rarity.”

“What?”

“You kinda need to point out where ah should be diggin’. Ah don’t know where the gems are, and we don’t exactly have time to mine the whole region.”

Grumbling at the earth pony’s logic, Rarity cast her gem finding spell again, trotting off to find a hotspot of gems. “Well… there’s one small cache over there.” She marked out a spot on the ground. “But it’s very small… I doubt there’d even be a large enough ruby for the potion.”

“Ain’t no harm in tryin’.” Applejack started digging down through the ground. She knew that she’d most likely need her strength later but she knew her limits. She attacked the ground with gusto, trying to extract the gems in as short a time as possible. She winced slightly as her hoof nicked a sharp object, but smiled, knowing that she had found what she was looking for. “Ah hah! Found that fancy rock!”

“Applejack. That’s a garnet. Not a ruby. I can’t even use that in one of my dresses, it’s barely worth anything!”

AJ bit back another retort and dropped her hard won prize. “Okay, then try and find me another spot to dig.” She turned her back and looked around, hoping to get this over and done with sooner rather than later.

Rarity picked up the discarded gem and put it in her saddlebag. Maybe she had judged it too early, at this rate, having any precious gemstones for later dresses would be useful. She slowly started scanning around, concentrating on the magical reverberation that gems gave off. “Hmm…”

“C’mon Rar, hurry up!”

“Patience is a virtue Applejack. Some things cannot be rushed.”

“Well, if you don’t hurry up, we won’t be able to get that potion made in time!”

“I’m fully aware of that. Now would you please… Oh!” Rarity sensed a strong aura, close by. “There’s one nearby! Oooh! My goodness, it’s quite large. Wait, that’s quite strange.” Rarity started looking around the hole filled landscape. “It seems to be moving towards us. That can’t be possible unless…”

“WAAAAAH!” A purple dragon flew out of the tunnel, startling both ponies before landing in a heap.

Blinking, AJ trotted over to inspect the crumpled up dragon. “Spike? What are you doin’ out here?”

“Yes, are you alright Spike?”

“I’m okay. What do you mean out here? Wher-“ Spike looked around. “Oh!” He got back up to his feet. “Well… I had to… uh…” He swallowed. This was going to be difficult. If he told them about what happened, they’d realize that he didn’t protect their little sisters, and now they were in danger. “Um… I could probably use your help for something.”

“Spike, ah hate to be rude, but we’re kinda in the middle of somethin’ important here. What could be so bad that you need us for?”

“Applejack’s quite… right, dear. We are in a bit of a hurry.”

Applejack spoke under her breath. “Oh, so now she’s in a hurry.”

Rarity heard the earth pony and shot her a dirty look, holding back a retort.

Spike looked at the two ponies. He knew they had their differences, but they hadn’t bickered like this in a long time. Something must’ve happened between them, but he didn’t have time to enquire. “Well, the girls got into some trouble.”

“That’s pretty much par for the course with those three.” Applejack gave him a sympathetic smile.

“I’m certain a dragon of such excellent capabilities as yourself can handle looking after our sisters for just a little longer. We really have some urgent business to do.” Her voice trailed off and she gasped, eyes filled with little sparkles. “My stars! Look at the size of that ruby!”

“Ruby?” Spike looked around. “Where?”

“Right there in your claw! Did you find it underground Spikey Wikey?”

“Umm, yeah, I guess I must have.” Spike replied, looking at his ‘weapon’.

Fluttering her eyelashes, Rarity approached him. “Oh, Spike, that is an awfully shiny ruby, is it not? I don’t suppose you would mind letting me borrow it for a while, dear?” She put a hoof under his chin, and unleashed the full power of her smouldering pout. The poor dragon was left dumbstruck, jaw dropped, still barely holding the ruby.

“Oh for Pete’s sake! We don’t have time for this Rar!” AJ snatched the gem from Spike’s claw with her mouth. “Spike, we really need this right now. Ah’ll pay you back for it tomorrow, but right now, we really need this, and Rar and ah have to get some more things so we can help Twi. You can talk to her about it later if you have a problem. Can you get back to town by yourself? Rar and ah have to get to the farm lickety split.” She trotted over to Rarity and tossed the ruby into her saddlebag, oblivious to Rarity’s alarmed cry of “Careful!”

Spike shook himself awake. “Huh? What? Oh, sure Applejack. What do you guys need it for? I was kind of wondering if you’d be able to help me with something too.”

“No can do sugahcube. We’ve got to get movin’ pronto. Lives are at stake.”

“Thank you ever so much for parting with this though, we really appreciate it.”

“What she said. We’ll explain things later. Sorry Spike. Now c’mon Rar. Yee-hah!” Applejack broke into a breakneck run towards her home.

“Urgh.” Rarity muttered, disgusted. “My mane will look like a mess after this. Ta-ta Spike.” She followed after the farmer. “Applejack! Please do we have to go so fast? The farm will still be there.”

Spike simply blinked as the two ponies bickered as they ran. “Okay… so I couldn’t tell Applejack or Rarity. They would probably have been angry to find out that I let their sisters get into trouble… Maybe I’ll be able to find Twilight back at the library.” He started jogging back to Ponyville, hoping that he’d be able to fix things in time.


. . .


Blueblood trotted triumphantly around the magical device, nestled in the centre of the small cave. Soon, very soon, he would be able to complete his plan for a better Equestria, neigh, a better world! All it had taken was a few minutes looking in the Equestria Daily Classified section, a lot of bits, and the livelihoods and freedom of a group of country hicks who didn’t really matter (honestly, what kind of self respecting Unicorn would live in Dirtville anyway?). But now it was all coming together. Just a few more wagons of gemstones, and the artifact would be complete.

He stroked a chunk of blackest obsidian on a chain around his neck, the little rock that had made this all possible. The two brothers had assured him that a small chunk of obsidian would help amplify his powers to a level rarely seen amongst normal unicorns, and above that it would be essential to activating the device to do his bidding. ”It is a strange fate that something so small and unassuming could hold so much power. Such a little thing…”

The bound guard dog looked strangely at him. “Who are you talking to?”

“How dare you address me, you simpleton! First you let this intruder inside, then you let yourself be knocked unconscious by foals, but now you deem yourself worthy of speaking to me?” Blueblood glared at him with manic eyes. “I believe a lesson needs to be taught. Your fellows thought you should be spared, but I think it is past time that I show you mongrels that I am no pony to be trifled with. The creature will feed well on your bones, I think.”


. . .


Spot’s nose was pressed to the ground, sniffing intently, Rover looking on, and appearing increasingly more irritated. ”What is it? What do you smell?”

“Pony flesh…”

“Bah! Ignore the ponies! We must find the dragon!”

“The dragon’s scent is here too. The ponies went that way.” He pointed in one direction. “But the dragon… the dragon went to the pony town.”

Rover growled. “This is going to be harder than I thought. Run dogs!”


. . .


Spike stumbled back into town after his long run, panting for breath. Looking around, he noticed things were the same as this morning, but only now could he spot the differences; the general lack of unicorns in the square, the tearful husbands and wives who’s partners had gone missing. He didn’t know who else he could turn to for help, other than the smartest pony he knew. He just hoped Twilight had finally come back.

“Twilight?” he called out, entering his home.

“She’s not here Spike” a voice rang out from above.

Spike looked up at an annoyed looking Rainbow Dash, lying on top of a bookcase. Boredom flickered across her face as she tossed a bottle filled with what he could only think of as a rainbow from one hoof to the other. “Do you know where she is?”

“I don’t know. She’s probably at Zecora’s or something, she had to get some “poison joke essence”. She said with hoof air quotes. “All I know is if they’d just let me get everything we needed, we’d have already made this potion by now.”

“Potion?”

“Don’t worry Spike. It’s nothing you can help with anyway. Besides, we need a babysitter for the foals anyway, and it’s not like you have anything better to do, anyway.” Rainbow was frowning to herself, quite deep in thought.

“Umm… alright. Hey, Rainbow, do you think you can help me with something?”

“No. I can’t. Look Spike. I have some really urgent things to do okay? I don’t have time for your mindless problems.” Thoughts of her friends in peril filled Dash’s mind. She almost wanted to go off by herself to rescue them, but even she knew that she’d need help too get Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie out of there. She hated Applejack and Twilight’s stupid logic.

“What? What’s wrong?” Spike was taken aback by her outburst. Rainbow might not have always cared for his problems, but he’d never recalled a time when she unleashed her temper on him.

“Didn’t you hear me earlier? I said don’t worry,” snapped Rainbow. “Nothing’s wrong.”

Spike stared at her in silence, Rainbow still fuming. He turned to leave, when a voice called out behind him.

“Spike, wait. I’m sorry. I’m dealing with a lot of stuff right now, okay? I’m having a little trouble dealing.”

“I get it. Hey, listen. If you had a problem, and you didn’t know who you could turn to, what would you?”

Rainbow gave him a small smirk. “Spike. Don’t you know who you’re talking to? I deal with my own problems. Remember when I tried to get that book from the hospital? If you can wait until we’re all done, we’ll help you out. Otherwise you’re just going to have to learn how to deal with things yourself, short stuff.” Rainbow’s smile grew a little less cynical.

Spike paused. “Thanks Rainbow.”

“Any time. You couldn’t pick a better role model than me.” Dash said, a little cockiness getting back into her voice.

Spike started out of the library again. “Well… good luck with whatever’s ‘not wrong’. You said Twilight was at Zecora’s?”

“Mmhmm,” Dash nodded. ”But I’m pretty sure she’s going to be busy too, there’s no way your problem’s as bad as ours.”

“Oh, I wouldn’t be too sure about that,” mumbled Spike under his breath, as he started waddling hurriedly in the direction of the Everfree Forest.


. . .


He looked like a mess, his mane flopping limply across his face, but Blueblood turned and addressed the small crowd of dogs that had gathered to witness his judgement. He stood at the mouth of the back tunnel of the Dog’s lair, in their forbidden sector. Within, dwelt the Otyugh, the guardian of the cave. Not much could be seen of its lair from the tunnel, the flickering flame of a torch barely casting a dent in the dark shadow. He could tell the beast was awake from the rumbles in the trash heap of its lair, something must have disturbed it earlier. Good, he thought to himself. This will make for a much better lesson. With the slightest concentration, his horn lit up, casting a vocal amplification spell, which echoed through the necklace hanging around his neck and magnifying it tenfold.

“BEHOLD! THE FATE OF THOSE WHO FAIL ME!”

He allowed himself a little smirk. Magicks that were far beyond his reckoning before could be cast with but the flicker of a whim. He could lift not only this bound and gagged dog, but most likely every one of the mongrels in attendance should he put his mind to it. It was a good day to be Prince.

“THIS FOOL ALMOST LET OUR GRAND SCHEME GET DISCOVERED BY THOSE WHO WOULD DARE OPPOSE US! HE MUST BE MADE AN EXAMPLE OF!”

The faint grey-yellow glow of his magical field was tinged with little flecks of black, but Blueblood paid no notice. The trussed up hound was held high above his audience, slowly brought over to the tunnel. He knew how the dogs feared the beast that dwelled within, they dared not disturb or fight the abomination not after it had feasted on many of their ancestors. Blueblood himself had only heard of such creatures in hushed whispers from the palace guards, an Otyugh was a terrible foe to face.

“HE ALMOST COST ALL OF YOU YOUR VALUABLE GEMSTONES! HIS INCOMPETENCE ALMOST COST US ALL OUR REVENGE! THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS TO THOSE WHO FAIL US ALL!”

With that proclamation, the magic holding the dog vanished, casting him down into darkened piles of rubbish. The dog let out a little whimper as a foul stench grew stronger, debris being scattered as a long feeler reached out and grabbed it. The dog struggled in vain, but couldn’t move at all. It looked up, the whites of its eyes showing as it was lifted up again in a much less magical fashion. The dog let out a loud whine as the tentacle tightened around it, before being suddenly silence with the loud crack of bone.

“NOW YOU SEE THE PRICE OF FAILURE!” Blueblood let the spell fade, speaking once more in his normal regal voice. “Now, will he be getting some company? Or will you go back and do your jobs?”

The dogs let out a soft mournful howl for the fallen colleague, knowing that at least his death had been quick. A little foolish smile slipped onto Blueblood’s lips. He hadn’t used the Royal Canterlot voice in years. Aunty Luna would be proud of his decibel level. He trotted back, feeling smugly satisfied that his message had been understood by his minions. These peons would not dare oppose him now. He watched as the dogs went back into the caverns to work, and blew out the torch, shrouding the tunnel with darkness once again.

Nopony noticed a shuddering butter yellow Pegasus still protecting her friend, watching the entire incident with fearful eyes.