The Writers' Group 9,300 members · 56,482 stories
Comments ( 65 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 65

With the ninth and final season of this show coming

No one ever said that this upcoming season is the last season of MLP. As far as anyone knows, that's still just a rumor at this point, as Hasbro and DHX have yet to confirm anything regarding these rumors at this point. And as far as new characters are concerned, I personally don't think we need any more; we've got more than enough already.

Those seem like good ideas.

That's right. It's a rumor that I sincerely hope is not true (FIM can't end yet, I just got here!)

But in regards to new characters, I would really like to see some more Zebras on the show. Seriously, apart from Zecora, we know next to nothing about them. Do they have their own nation? Are they some Earth Pony offshoot like the Crystal Ponies? Do they all speak in rhyme, or it just a habit Zecora got herself into in her youth and never got over?*

So yeah. Hope it doesn't end with Season 9, and hope to see more Zebras. And Saddle Arabians. It was almost insulting how close we got to seeing them in "Road to Friendship".

*I don't know about you, but I think it would be pretty funny if they went to the Zebra lands, Zecora greets the border guards, and one of them says something like "Seriously? You're still doing the rhyming thing?". But that's just me.

A while back, I actually had an idea where the Cutie Map develops sentience after managing all these friendship missions for all this time, and possesses one of the ponies in an effort to live alongside them.

But then "What Lies Beneath" happened, and I found out Hasbro was one step ahead of me.

Drat.

Oh, well. At least I sorta-kinda-accidentally called it.

Good ideas, But I prefer something that just popped into my head one day: Gryphonstone is an analogue for the Holy Roman Empire post-collapse, or the time between the First and Second Reich.

That set me thinking of the concept of the Diamond Dogs also being an analogue from the same time period that Gryphonstone was pulled from, but instead a rising power: I present: the Tsardom of Ruffsia (I know the pun is painful, but It was the only thing that would work with Russia, and I just see them as Russian). All Diamond dogs like the morons who kidnapped Rarity do not represent the Tsar or anydog under his rule. They are considered "strays", and are a PR nightmare for the Tsar. Or, pulling from the time of Catherine the Great, possibly a "Tsarina", instead.

Although, I'd also like to see a Gryphon Bismarck, who takes one of the strongest of the remnants, and intends to use it to restore their old glory, and basically create the Kaiserreich out of Gryphonstone. Maybe even make the Bismarck analogue an actual villain.

I'd like to see a Diamond Tiara episode since she turned good. An idea for an episode involving her would be about a colt who got expelled from the schoolhouse returns and causes trouble in town. The CMC know about him, and know how he was expelled. It would be revealed that he was not a bad colt, and was quite the complete opposite, one of the nicest colts at the school. He got expelled because Diamond Tiara maliciously picked on him to the point where he finally snapped, and hit her, giving her a black eye (taking place way before Crusaders of The Lost Mark). When Diamond Tiara and the colt’s parents are brought forth, Diamond Tiara lies, and said that the colt hit her for no reason, and that he was bullying her. Spoiled Rich, being the head of the school board, deems the colt as a horrid, beastly colt, and demands for him to be expelled from the school forever. Spoiled Rich’s demand of expelling the colt was followed. As a result, the colt changed into a vicious bully himself, while getting expelled from every other school. Diamond Tiara would remember all of that with shame at how bad she was, and she (with help from the CMC, and maybe the main 6) would try to right this wrong from her horrid past.

How this idea for season 9?

You should write stories with these chars.

"It's great t'spend time with ya Twilight. Seems we're all so busy nowadays! Where ya wanna go fer lunch?"

"Well, there's that new hayburger place down at Sugarcube Corners."

"Y'mean th' one between th' funeral home and that place that changes tenants ever' month?

"Yes! I hear they're having their grand re-re-re-re-opening..."

I got a creature that’s unique; A pony colt that enjoys doing bad things because he has to or he gets sick. He’s a normal colt with a dark coat, crimson eyes and ivory mane, wearing a jester’s hat, in a punk outfit. His Mark of Talent will be a target symbol. If you’re wonder why I say he’s unique, PM me and you’ll know. Oh and he hates heroes.

Go for it, if you wish.

This is why Chiponytle lost popularity.

Ultimate idea for season 9. Just for once hire normal writer who will write something not facepalm inducing.

Eh, posted them in previous threads asking this same question. I'd offer up the stuff I've been writing or am writing now. Brace yourself for a text wall :twilightsheepish::

-A Spike episode revolving around him relapsing into his stealing instincts, which gets curbed by a medicine. It also, however, affects his overall mood and behaviour. Kind of a reference to psychotropic (is that the word?) medicines being used on children. Wrote this one, it's called 'Grabby'. Not my best work, but good practice in writing show-style, I like to think.

-A second and possibly third CMC Friendship Map mission, which each one featuring a different Crusader as the voice of reason in the conflict. Scootaloo can be the one mediating for a child who doesn't know if they're handicapped or a late bloomer and all the insecurities that come with it, with Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle arguing over which approach to take. One would take the side of working through it until the dream goal is achieved and the 'handicap' is overwon, the other immediately assumes it is a handicap and it's better to stop trying to do something you can't and focus on what you can do. Scootaloo, being the only one who actually shares that kind of uncertainty, finds the resolution. Writing this one now, expect first chapter in a few weeks, hence the lack of details on handicap options. There are a few you can use in this setting that are ambiguous enough to work :raritywink:

-Third CMC Friendship mission, with Sweetie Belle as the mediator, I'm guessing would revolve around a conflict involving sisterhood and mentorship. A strained relationship between a junior athlete and her big sister on one hoof, and the athlete's idol/mentor on the other. Apple Bloom feels family trumps everything, Scootaloo thinks the blood bonds don't matter for 'real' sisterhood. Because remember: Scootaloo's only real tie to the Mane Six in terms of destiny is her sharing a cutie mark with their sisters. Scootaloo is and has always been an outsider character. She had to ask Rainbow Dash to mentor her. Sweetie Belle, then, knows the trials and tribulations of living in someone else's shadow. Her advice would be geared more towards finding one's own identity.

-Scootaloo and Spike go to Flight Camp. That's really all that needs to be said on that, I think. The two could play off each other very nicely if given some room.

-One dedicated Thorax episode, where he has to act like a diplomat in front of a nation that is not aligned with ponies, and that was genuinely wronged by changelings. Kind of did that already, but mine was right after the big change, whereas this would have to be a long time after. I'd vote for a nation of turkies, or Caneighdian deer. Pharynx can be there for the humour, too.

Some ideas involving Unicorn colts, to balance out the sex disparity:

-Apple Bloom and String Bean. Bring back Grand Pear to take Apple Bloom to Vanhoover, where she gets to see a Farmer's Fair. There she meets a colt who's a dead ringer for Flim and Flam: a Unicorn with very thin arms (you know, string bean arms) named String Bean. He has a machine which he powers through his magic. The two get into a heated discussion about hard work versus easy magic fixes, and she challenges him to a game where he has to mimick farm work... without using magic. He almost gets hurt trying and failing the challenge, and has to use magic to save himself. Apple Bloom gloats, and only afterwards realises she's hurt his feelings. Concept's been floating around a long time, haven't gotten around to writing it in full. I'm adding an off-screen borderline abusive mother for String Bean to it, as well as him not knowing who his father is (Flim or Flam), but I doubt the episode would go that far, so... watch for it.

If it were made an episode, it would try to do a few things: balance out the important role of farmers in hindsight, address the issues of responsibilities and duties that come with being a Unicorn, and I'd maybe toss in something educational about fruit tree grafting. The Apple family history lends itself well to it, it wouldn't require much effort to pull off. It would also give Grand Pear the opportunity to drop a few lines about how much Apple Bloom takes after her mother, or father, or grandfather, including the bad things. Something like "You ain't got that stubborn pride from Granny Smith. You got that from me. Don't let it ruin things the way it did for me."

-at least one Unicorn colt with unstable magic. I don't really care what it is, it's just such an obvious idea I'm surprised it hasn't come up yet. A colt with electric magic who shocks everyone he touches, an ice mage who feels chilling to be around, that sort of thing. Did that waaay back when, too, plenty of options to still do it on the show.

In terms of new settings, I've only got one big idea to definitely suggest: Cornucopia (working title).

-Basically, a Unicorn town the same way Cloudsdale is a Pegasus town. The place where Starlight Glimmer received her education and where she learned her high-level magic. It would contrast with Canterlot by having more open space, fields and shooting ranges, making it more suited for high-intensity magic and especially emotional casters. Whichever episode takes place here would allow for some justification on Starlight's power level and introduce some noted and well-documented downsides from excitatory gnosis as opposed to inhibitory. It would also give Unicorns a second iconic home away from Canterlot, making the tribe look less snobbish overall and more balanced compared to the other two. On top of that, Sunburst would make a little more sense, as it can be implied Canterlot and Cornucopia have different teaching methods, and Sunburst should have gone to Cornucopia but his parents went with Canterlot for the prestige. I'm putting a Friendship Map mission here, the show would probably give it its own focal episode, maybe a book fair for Starlight and Sunburst to go to, possibly with their parents.

In a nutshell: Cornucopia would answer the question of where powerful Unicorns come from if it turns out they don't belong in Canterlot. Canterlot ponies have their own identity, it seems, and not all Unicorns we've seen, even the powerful wizards, fit that identity. So it could be useful to add.

-reads that whole comment-

THANK YOU!!! <3

MLP totally ending with this season.
#acceptthefacts, #theendiscoming, #MLPGen5ishere

Says the person that is blinded by the simple fact that Rumors get NOWHERE in life for anyone >:/

6691586 Uh . . . thanks? I guess?

6691644 Yes, that's according to everyone on Facebook. You quickly learn not to believe everything you read on Facebook if you spend enough time on there. For example, do you know how many times I've come across a post saying that a famous celebrity like Adam Sandler has died? But getting back on topic, no one at DHX or Hasbro has confirmed these "rumors." If these rumors were in fact true, then I suspect that Meghan McCarthy and Mike Vogel would have said something at this point, but they haven't. Furthermore, why on Earth would they cancel G4 when it's still extremely popular and making them huge amounts of money? Cancelling G4 at the height of its popularity would be an extremely stupid business decision on Hasbro's part. Then again, they did cancel Littlest Pet Shop due to low toy sales, despite the fact that the show was getting great ratings, so it's not like Hasbro is any stranger to stupid business decisions.

Your welcome :)

And besides, it is an important moral for people to know that Rumors aren't entirely true. Know what I mean? :)

But sometimes, they ARE TRUE! Wake up and smell the roses! See the way the wind blows! Check your news! THE END TIMES ARE UPON YOU!!!

Look, I'm trying to fuck with the guy. Just nod and agree, mkay?

Three words for you: You ARE BLIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cinder Vel
Group Admin

Well the information came from the series of huge leaks that contained emails of the staff. Info regarding the early movie leak investigation (since movie itself has been leaked before it aired in cinemas), season 8 information, future plans, images of not yet used vectors, MLP show bible, the animatic of original intro and so on. It isn't just someone saying rumors, it was email theft. The season 8 leak part was proven to be true, heh season 8 episodes themselves were leaked in an unfinished state. That's not quite as same as someone spreading rumor on facebook.

Now that doesn't actually mean yet that Gen 5 is a sure thing. That part of the leak was the most vague and least informative but everyone only jumped at that information and at the concept art. They could have easily by now change any plans they had ten times.

As for why cancel Gen 4? Well the target demographic that started to watch the show by now has grown up, it could be a simple as that. Perhaps toys aren't selling well in which case ratings are irrelevant. We can only speculate really, though I am willing to bet that the height was reached already.

-reads the whole comment-

THANK YOU!

Well the information came from the series of huge leaks that contained emails of the staff. Info regarding the early movie leak investigation (since movie itself has been leaked before it aired in cinemas), season 8 information, future plans, images of not yet used vectors, MLP show bible, the animatic of original intro and so on. It isn't just someone saying rumors, it was email theft. The season 8 leak part was proven to be true, heh season 8 episodes themselves were leaked in an unfinished state. That's not quite as same as someone spreading rumor on facebook.

But it really isn't hard at all for someone to fake this stuff and pass it off as official. It's actually incredibly easy to do so.

But it really isn't hard at all for someone to fake this stuff and pass it off as official. It's actually incredibly easy to do so.

You got that right.

Cinder Vel
Group Admin

How does one fake MLP Movie before it airs in cinemas, season 8 unfinished episodes and season 8 complete synopsis that turned out 100% true. We aren't talking about information leak, we are talking about actual data theft.

I'm hoping for one thing during the Hiatus: Hasbro taking better care by beefing up their security

Cinder Vel
Group Admin

They did that year ago. Hence why leaks stopped in 2017. Well ok technically the leaks were in DHX, Hasbro itself wasn't leaked at all. Also just to make one thing clear. Don't worry too much about season 9 being last. It was same situation with season 3 and well despite being last we still had five more seasons and one more upcoming. What was planned year ago doesn't mean is still part of the plan now. Honestly I suspect a change of plan as deliberate tactic to invalidate the leaked information.

OP asks for ideas and inspiration, gets about 8 comments that actually contain ideas, 2 comments to say the show sucks now anyway, and 13 about the legitimacy of the rumours.

Again. Seems like people can't let it lie and stick to the point, huh? Ah, well, at least it's not Starlight Glimmer drama or debates about the 'lure' this time...

Stay classy, guys.

Speaking of last time, two I forgot to mention in my previous post, and close enough to show-style ideas, copy-pasting:

-An episode with Fluttershy and Cratus (the Orthros salespony from Trade Ya). Fluttershy's almost out of conflicts to write, but there is still one option that hasn't been addressed yet: what happens when she's faced with an animal expert who isn't gentle with his animals... but genuinely can't, because the animals are so dangerous? (Did the pair-up already for a Pharynx fic, not that plot, but it's close enough)

-another Trader's Fair episode. Come on, it's got so much potential, we can do another ensemble episode like Slice of Life there. (Kinda did that with an OC already.)

How does one fake MLP Movie before it airs in cinemas, season 8 unfinished episodes and season 8 complete synopsis that turned out 100% true.

Those were in fact very much real, as far as I know. But you need to be careful about what you believe online. Remember back in 2013 when rumors started flying around that Pinkie Pie would get a boyfriend and that Lauren Faust was coming back to the show?

2 comments to say the show sucks now anyway

I really can't stand people like that. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the people who made those comments came from this group.

OP asks for ideas and inspiration

Personally, I'd love to see an episode where Scootaloo finally learns to fly. :twilightsmile:

6690191 I personally love this idea since I personally feel that Diamond Tiara got screwed over by the writers after season five. I'd love to see her return to the show!

Cinder Vel
Group Admin

What I'd like to see in Season 9. A nice beach episode with mane six. I don't think mane six had enough time to just be friends together, in most cases it is two of them on a mission or one character episode. Heh, also wouldn't mind CMC episodes were they are just being kids instead going on missions.

No, I don't know since normally I don't listen to rumors. The leaked data was something I could check out for myself and was able to confirm when season 8 aired. It also made it easier to see just how wrong the rumors people spread are.

I'm glad I'm not alone.

Keythong. They look like griffons, but have spikes instead of wings.
More world building. There are some locations in Equestria we haven't seen in the show like Fillydelphina, Dragon Town, Zecora's homeland, Diamond dogs homeland, etc.
Another type of dragon. We see dragons with one set of wings, hands, and feet so why not show us a wyvern or a non-winged dragon or a snake like dragon with wings.
More information about Saddle Arabia and their civilians.
Episodes that focused on school activities and the students.
More Map episodes.

Oh and an episode about Babs.

6690151 Honestly, if Season 9 is indeed the last season, I just wanna see them wrap up the show nicely. In a way that makes sense and feels fitting.

6692137 We also need an episode featuring the parents of the Mane Six hanging out for an entire episode. And we also need an episode dealing with Spike's origins and his actual parents.

6692330 The problem is that, at this point, all of the stories for the series have been wrapped up. Twilight has become like her mentor. Rarity has expanded her business and made a big name for herself not only in the fashion world but also in the world of high society Rainbow Dash has become a Wonderbolt. Fluttershy has finally broken down the barriers that were holding her back and has become more confident. The only characters who never really had a story were Applejack and Pinkie Pie (and, yes, Fluttershy can be included here as well) because they were content with where they were in life to begin with. This is why so many people gave up on the show after season five because they felt the character arcs had been completed and there was nowhere else for the show to go. This is also why so many people have been saying that the show has been running out of ideas since season five. I for one can't honestly think of where the writers can go at this point unless they just pander to the fans throughout the entirety of season nine. (This is why so many people had a problem with season seven. Seriously, as much as I loved that season, I can understand why so many people didn't like it.) I honestly don't know where the writers plan on going this upcoming season. My only hope is that season nine is better than season eight, which wasn't terrible, just mediocre when compared to what a great season the seventh season was. If for no other reason, I'll tune in to see how they handle Grogar.

And I'm staying with the show no matter what because it is what helped me get through life after High School for me :)

6692401 There are still things they can do with the characters. As you said, Pinkie Pie and Applejack still need some kind of lasting achivement or contribution. Though with Pinkie we're sort of covered with her being friendship ambassador to the yaks. And there are still loose ends to tie up: We still don't know about Spike's parents, or who ruled the land before Celestia and Luna did.

6692498 Exactly. Just because a character achieves a major life goal doesn't mean their story ends. When one door closes another one opens. Life goes on.

Okie, and just between you and me.... there is one thing I do hope to see for of Princess Luna: Seeing her S1 Design again. I'm just.... in love with that design of Princess Luna more so than her S2 Onwards Design. Know what I mean? ^^; :twilightsheepish:

6692501 I can see why. Though an interesting thing to note about her Season 2+ design, Lauren Faust said it wasn't her before she was corrupted and that she was still regaining her powers. Most likely that idea was tossed out when Lauren left after Season 2.

Well.... we still don't know if that's entirely true or not ^^; :twilightsheepish:

But other than that, whenever I think of Princess Luna, I always think of her S1 Design. It's just so awesome <3 :heart:

On Scootaloo learning how to fly: yeah, it'd be nice. There are so many options to do it, though, so many good options. Done a few of them myself, with varying degrees of popularity.

Top of the head:
-She finds herself forced to fly in order to save a friend. Classic, possibly clichéd, but it can work. Bonus points if it's her father's prize-winning rooster she has to save.
-She ends up getting help from an unexpected corner. So many characters to choose from: Starlight Glimmer (equality expert, she would know the statistics on age and flight), Sunburst (actually suffered through childhood as the result of a similar problem, would know any number of obscure Pegasus magic problems), Ocellus (also bookish, can perfectly copy Scootaloo's physical form and pinpoint a problem), even Trixie (if it's a confidence issue, related to 'getting into character', perfect set-up), Spike (didn't know if he would ever fly either), Rumble... I'm gonna end the list on Rumble, that's really all you need.
-She joins a scootering contest and starts flying out of the blue, unexpectedly. It comes when she finally lets go.
-She flies during a stunt and immediately fails, landing her in the hospital. A whole episode of her panicking? Making the episode's big question not whether she can fly, but whether she'll ever fly again? Now we're thinkin' inside the chimney.

And Diamond Tiara? Couple of potential episodes. Diamond going to dance class and 'stealing' Tender Taps away from Apple Bloom, or a 'bigger fish' episode where she's faced with an even richer and snobbier brat that she has to be nice to because her mom says so...

With regards to the new plots: we have a lot, and I mean a lot of background characters now, and while the main character arcs may not progress any more, we can still show some finetuning by contrasting with these characters. Kratus and Fluttershy are one example: a rough handler of dangerous animals versus a coddling approach to mostly cuddly animals. Any of the Mane Six with Bulk Biceps, too. I wouldn't mind seeing Mudbriar get some more time in the spotlight, honestly. There are creative ways to make a stick expert work... again, as mentioned previously, grafting trees is a thing. Having Mudbriar give his take on the Apple family (which, technically, he's gonna be a part of if he continues...) using weird analogies of grafted roots and joined trunks... there's still room for that kind of thing. Certainly enough to fill up 26 more episodes.

Pinkie Pie and Applejack still need some kind of lasting achivement or contribution.

At this point, it's a little too late for that. Pinkie Pie and Applejack already provide their contributions to society by providing food and laughter, respecttively. Don't forget that making her friends smile is what Pinkie Pie lives for, so she's covered as far as lasting achievements go. And if it doesn't involve her family or her farm, Applejack has no achievement to speak of.

And there are still loose ends to tie up: We still don't know about Spike's parents, or who ruled the land before Celestia and Luna did.

They've had the opportunity to do the former at least twice and didn't go with it. At this point I've given up hope that we're ever going to get an answer to this question. As for the latter, I don't see why they would do that storyline since it's really not important to the lore of the show, especially since it was never an important established plot point and we can assume that the Pillars of Equestria ruled the land before it was taken oevr by Celestia and Luna, which was presumably after they were banished to limbo. If you're really curious about this storyline, I suggest you check out The Journal of the Two Sisters .

6692498 Agreed! The only reason I am sticking with the show at this point is the fact that it has done so much for me and I want to see it come to a satisfactory conclusion, if this is indeed the last season of the show. (At this point I'm hoping this is true.) Will it be as good as the conclusion to Acatar;: The Last Airbender? Highly unlikely, but I'm still hoping that we get something worthwhile.

6692512 As far as anyone knows, that's not the case. While Faustay not no longer be working on the show itself, the creators have siad that they strive to stay true to her original vision. After all, they still have the show bible to refer to.

6692501 As much as I love Woona, it's highly unlikely that we're ever going to see her season one form again, unless in flashback, due to the fact that she has grown up and regained her powers. Though, I have to admit, an episode featuring Celestia and Luna as fillies (commonly known as Cewestia and Woona) would be great! Maybe Starlight could botch up another spell that turns them into Foals. Speaking of Celestia and Luna, was I the only one reminded of them when I watched Frozen and saw how much Elsa and Anna mirrored them?

1. Okie

As much as I love Woona, it's highly unlikely that we're ever going to see her season one form again, unless in flashback, due to the fact that she has grown up and regained her powers.

Well.... we are still not sure if that is entirely true. It's just.... well.... sure everyone loves Princess Luna's Current Design and everyone knows her for that. For me however.... I just can't see Princess Luna like that, hence why I love her old S1 Design. It's the only way for me to look at Princess Luna Fan Art because of that :(

Bonus points if it's her father's prize-winning rooster she has to save.

This is news to me. Since when does her dad have a prize-winning rooster? Personally, I'm looking forward to an episode where we finally get to meet her aunts.

She ends up getting help from an unexpected corner. So many characters to choose from: Starlight Glimmer (equality expert, she would know the statistics on age and flight), Sunburst (actually suffered through childhood as the result of a similar problem, would know any number of obscure Pegasus magic problems), Ocellus (also bookish, can perfectly copy Scootaloo's physical form and pinpoint a problem), even Trixie (if it's a confidence issue, related to 'getting into character', perfect set-up), Spike (didn't know if he would ever fly either), Rumble... I'm gonna end the list on Rumble, that's really all you need.

We need more episodes featuring more obscure friendship pairings. I'd love to see an wpisode where Starlight hangs out with the CMC or the CMC and the Student Six hang out.

She flies during a stunt and immediately fails, landing her in the hospital. A whole episode of her panicking? Making the episode's big question not whether she can fly, but whether she'll ever fly again? Now we're thinkin' inside the chimney.

Didn't we already have an episode exactly like this back in season two involving Rainbow Dash? And we already had an entire episode of her panicking back in season seven.

Diamond going to dance class and 'stealing' Tender Taps away from Apple Bloom

That doesn't sound like something Diamond Tiara would do, at least not the reformed Diamond Tiara. It would sound much more believable if Tender Taps developed feelings for Diamond Tiara, Apple Bloom finds out and assumes that Diamond Tiara is attempting to steal her boyfriend, which is news to Tender Taps since he assumed that he and Apple Bloom were just friends and wasn't aware that Apple Bloom had feelings for him.

or a 'bigger fish' episode where she's faced with an even richer and snobbier brat that she has to be nice to because her mom says so...

Again, this doesn't sound believable. Spoiled Rich is the epitome of nastiness. It would soind much more believable if a bully came to town who was an even bigger bully than Diamond Tiara, who becomes the bully's target. At first her classmates are happy about this, especially the CMCs, since Diamond Tiara is finally getting a taste of her own medicine, only to have a change of heart when they see how much the bully is affecting Diamond Tiara's life.

With regards to the new plots: we have a lot, and I mean a lotof background characters now, and while the main character arcs may not progress any more, we can still show some finetuning by contrasting with these characters. Kratus and Fluttershy are one example: a rough handler of dangerous animals versus a coddling approach to mostly cuddly animals. Any of the Mane Six with Bulk Biceps, too. I wouldn't mind seeing Mudbriar get some more time in the spotlight, honestly. There are creative ways to make a stick expert work... again, as mentioned previously, grafting trees is a thing. Having Mudbriar give his take on the Apple family (which, technically, he's gonna be a part of if he continues...) using weird analogies of grafted roots and joined trunks... there's still room for that kind of thing. Certainly enough to fill up 26 more episodes.

One of the things that really annoyed the ever-loving piss out of me about season eight is the fact that all of these new characters were introduced and hardly any of them got any kind of personality, character development, or spotlight. This is especially true for the Student Six, who were introduced at the beginning of the season and only got two whole episodes centered around them. Every other episode this season was centered either around the school itself, the CMC, or the Mane Six. I hope this is changed in the ninth season.

6692614 Uh . . . okay, then.

Pinkie Pie and Applejack already provide their contributions to society by providing food and laughter, respect tively.

That's like saying Fluttershy was only good for animals or Rainbow Dash was only good for weather, when clearly there is far more to them than that. Pinkie Pie could still easily provide laughter doing what she does, but even something as simple as becoming a traveling party pony like Cheese Sandwich or finishing her apprenticeship with the Cakes and opening her own bakery would be a natural conclusion to her character.

And if it doesn't involve her family or her farm, Applwjack has no achievement to speak of.

All the more reason why it needs to be corrected. Give her something that can get her off the farm, or give her a major change to her family like say Big Mac and Sugar Belle marrying. We saw that would mean Big Mac would want to get through his chores faster, and Apple Bloom would likely start stepping up to do more in the fields which Applejack would no doubt struggle with given her protective nature.

As for the latter, I don't see why they would do that storyline since it's really not important to the lore of the show, especially since it was never an important established plot point

I still think it wouldn't hurt to ellaborate a little. Celestia and Luna rule the land despite bearing the title of princess. The toyline explanation is that Disney has made queens be associate with evil, but I wanna hear an in-universe explanation, especially now that we know Celestia and Luna didn't always have control of the sun and the moon.

Will it be as good as the conclusion to Acatar;: The Last Airbender? Highly unlikely, but I'm still hoping that we get something worthwhile.

Funny you should mention that. You know the comic series entitled "The Search for Zuko's Mother"? The producers wanted to make a T.V. movie, but Nick (in their "infinite wisdom") rejected it. And there is evidence they meddled with the sequel series Legend of Korra in that they originally told the producers they were only getting one season and then changed their mind only after the episodes had been produced.

the creators have siad that they strive to stay true to her original vision. After all, they still have the show bible to refer to.

Lauren wanted all the mane six's parents to be dead or traveling, didn't want Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo to be sisters, and wanted Cadence to be a pegasus and not an alicorn. She also wanted Twilight to be a princess only if she were to succeed Princess Celestia. I think it's safe to say that most of Lauren's ideas and suggestions have been discarded since her departure.

One of the things that really annoyed the ever-loving piss out of me about season eight is the fact that all of these new characters were introduced and hardly any of them got any kind of personality, character development, or spotlight. This is especially true for the Student Six, who were introduced at the beginning of the season and only got two whole episodes centered around them. Every other episode this season was centered either around the school itself, the CMC, or the Mane Six. I hope this is changed in the ninth season.

I hope they either develop the student six more and give the school theme the emphasis we were led to believe it was going to have in Season 8, or just scrap the school theme and admit it didn't work. There's evidence the school theme was a mandate from Hasbro, and considering how most of the bad episodes focused directly on the school, part of me can't help but wonder if they did on that purpose to try and spite Hasbro. But if that's the case, I'd rather they'd have put their foot down and said no. Hasbro would've been hard pressed to justify firing its entire writing and editing staff over a minor change to the show so late into its lifespan. Considering "Fame and Misfortune" backfired on them really badly, I think the last thing they would've wanted was another PR nightmare.

I meant with all the Scootaloo chicken memes, her flight episode would involve poultry. And the Diamond things... well, yeah, what you describe on the 'stealing' is kind of what I had in mind, hence the quotation marks. Spoiled Rich, from what we know, appears to see everyone as a tool to be used. I think she would tell her daughter to be nice to a little monster of a colt if it meant scoring brownie points with other snobs of her ilk.

The thing about giving everyone a 'bigger' destiny and accomplishments is that it takes away some of the point of having these characters in the first place. Part of the appeal, part of the design, was having otherwise mundane ponies contribute in a big way to saving Equestria and the world. They became and stayed friends despite their differences. The more of them get their grand accomplishments, the more samey they appear.

It'd kinda be like having Frodo or Sam be crowned King of the Shire after everything they did, or giving Mumen Rider superpowers after he gets beaten into a pulp again. The whole point of such characters is that they shine despite being normal, that you don't need to be a Bill Gates or an Aragorn or a Saitama to do good and even admirable things. Only a few ponies can cast spells as powerful as Twilight can, but anyone can try to cheer you up like Pinkie Pie.

Addendum: in the example of the Wizard of Oz, all of Dorothy's companions become kings of part of the land, this is true. However, for them this falls under the same category as saving Equestria. They did not set out to become kings: they were asked to, they were called to rule, and they accepted. Their mundane origins and their past made them qualified in the eyes of their peoples. The animals wanted a lion to be their king, because he's a freaking lion.

finishing her apprenticeship with the Cakes and opening her own bakery would be a natural conclusion to her character.

Since when is Pinkie Pie serving as an apprentice to the Cakes? It was clear as day from the beginning of the series that Pinkie served as an employee at Sugarcube Corner. It was also clear as day that the Cakes always saw Pinkie as something of a daughter, to the point where they give her her own bedroom and give her free room and board by letting her live at Sugarcube Corner free of charge. They even went as far as to make her a personalized birthday cake, and they even entrusted her with handling a baking competition in Canterlot, as well as running Sugarcube Corner on her own and babysitting their kids.

Apple Bloom would likely start stepping up to do more in the fields which Applejack would no doubt struggle with given her protective nature.

Apple Bloom strikes me as the type who is eager to get out on her own. There's no doubt that she would help out with the family farm until she's old enough to get on her own. She's an adventurous filly, so she of course would take up traveling as a hobby. As for Apple Bloom helping out with the chores being a problem for Applejack, she's clearly moved past that.

The toyline explanation is that Disney has made queens be associate with evil, but I wanna hear an in-universe explanation, especially now that we know Celestia and Luna didn't always have control of the sun and the moon.

But didn't we already get that with Queen Chrysalis? They even outright say she's evil throughout rhe series.

You know the comic series entitled "The Search for Zuko's Mother"? The producers wanted to make a T.V. movie, but Nick (in their "infinite wisdom") rejected it. And there is evidence they meddled with the sequel series Legend of Korra in that they originally told the producers they were only getting one season and then changed their mind only after the episodes had been produced.

Hence, why seasons two and three were so rushed. And the airing schedule for the series did not make things better.

Lauren wanted all the mane six's parents to be dead or traveling, didn't want Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo to be sisters, and wanted Cadence to be a pegasus and not an alicorn. She also wanted Twilight to be a princess only if she were to succeed Princess Celestia. I think it's safe to say that most of Lauren's ideas and suggestions have been discarded since her departure.

And this just goes to show that creators having complete creative freedom over their properties isn't always a good thing, and it shows that executive meddling isn't always a bad thing. A lot of these ideas don't sound all that good, nor do they sound like that they would work in a show like this and they don't sound too appealing either. It's even worse when we're not given any kind of explanation for the reasoning behind these bizarre ideas. (For example, Twilight succeeding Celestia would have just added more fuel to her already vocal hatedom.) It was actually disputes with Hasbro over the changes made to "A Canterlot Wedding" that made Faust leave the show for good.

I hope they either develop the student six more and give the school theme the emphasis we were led to believe it was going to have in Season 8, or just scrap the school theme and admit it didn't work.

I would rather them do the former than the latter as them doing the latter would render the previous season absolutely pointless, and that would piss a lot of people off. Plus, these characters really grew on me as the season went on and I'd love to see more of them throughout season nine.

There's evidence the school theme was a mandate from Hasbro

Yeah, that's been evident of the show from the very beginning. For example, every setting (such as Sugarcube Corner and Carousel Boutique) was mandated by Hasbro based on potential toy sales. Those they deemed not having a lot of potential for sales were done away with. However, this became less subtle and more in your face by the time season three came around.

and considering how most of the bad episodes focused directly on the school, part of me can't help but wonder if they did on that purpose to try and spite Hasbro. But if that's the case, I'd rather they'd have put their foot down and said no. Hasbro would've been hard pressed to justify firing its entire writing and editing staff over a minor change to the show so late into its lifespan.

They could get away with that easily since all of the writers on the show are freelance writers. That's always been a part of the show as well. They could easily just hire new writers if they wanted to. And, honestly, at this point, that probably wouldn't be a bad thing. It'd definitely be a good idea to get some new writers who actually know how to write for an animated show rather than the ones we have now, the ones who come from nothing but live-action shows.

Considering "Fame and Misfortune" backfired on them really badly, I think the last thing they would've wanted was another PR nightmare.

Well, that really depends on who you ask. Many people felt it was an attack on the bronies. Others felt it was a much needed wake up call for the brony fandom. Others just found it to be a very humorous and enjoyable episode. And I don't really recall it causing public relations problems for Hasbro, at least not like in the past with episodes such as "Filli Vanilli" and "Equestria Girls" did. Seriously, it got so bad that the death threats that the writers were getting over these episodes forced them to quit the show for good. So, for those of you complaining about the direction the show has been going these past few years have nobody but yourselves to blame.

I meant with all the Scootaloo chicken memes, her flight episode would involve poultry. And the Diamond things... well, yeah, what you describe on the 'stealing' is kind of what I had in mind, hence the quotation marks. Spoiled Rich, from what we know, appears to see everyone as a tool to be used. I think she would tell her daughter to be nice to a little monster of a colt if it meant scoring brownie points with other snobs of her ilk.

Oh! I gotcha now! :twilightsmile: Anything to get a leg up on the social ladder, eh? :rainbowlaugh: This could actually be a great episode with a great source of conflict for her and Diamond, as Diamond is fed up with being seen as nothing but a trophy by her mother as a means of showing off just so she could use her daughter for climbing up on the social ladder, and Diamond really lets her mom have it. This could also open up the eyes of Filthy Rich regarding the emotional/verbal abuse his wife has been putting their daughter through all these years (supposedly from birth), leading him to file for divorce. *sighs* And there it goes! It's happened again! Now I want to write a fanfic based on this idea! :rainbowlaugh:

The thing about giving everyone a 'bigger' destiny and accomplishments is that it takes away some of the point of having these characters in the first place.

Also, bear in mind that no two ponies have the same goals in life. This is made clear in only the third eoisode of the series, where each main character has a different reason for wanting to go to the Gala. That doesn't excuse how selfish (sans Applejack and Fluttershy) their reasons for wanting to go are, though.

Part of the appeal, part of the design, was having otherwise mundane ponies contribute in a big way to saving Equestria and the world.

Exactly! This is why Star Wars is such a classic adventure story, because it involves this ragtag group of friends coming together and taking down a powerful overlord. This formula was used in Friendship is Magic because it's a formula that's been proven to work and appeal to audiences of all genders and ages. This is also why the "star-crossed lovers/forbidden love" angle was used in "The Perfect Pear", because it's a formual that works and appeals to all audiences.

They became and stayed friends despite their differences.

And that's exactly why this group is so likable. They're friends despite their differences. For example, you would never in a million years think that a pony like Rarity would ever be caught dead hanging out with a pony like Rainbow Dash or Pinkie Pie. This is because all three are vastly different in terms of personality and ambition, yet they get along quite swimmingly despite this, to the point where the episodes that pair either Dash or Pinkie up with Rarity turn out to be the best episodes. (For example, "Sonic Rainboom" and "Spice Up Your Life" come to mind.)

The more of them get their grand accomplishments, the more samey they appear.

Not quite sure what you mean by this, to be honest. :rainbowhuh:

Since when is Pinkie Pie serving as an apprentice to the Cakes? It was clear as day from the beginning of the series that Pinkie served as an employee at Sugarcube Corner. It was also clear as day that the Cakes always saw Pinkie as something of a daughter, to the point where they give her her own bedroom and give her free room and board by letting her live at Sugarcube Corner free of charge. They even went as far as to make her a personalized birthday cake, and they even entrusted her with handling a baking competition in Canterlot, as well as running Sugarcube Corner on her own and babysitting their kids.

She is still working for them on the side, it's not her main profession (that's party planning). At the least I could see her taking over more of the day to day operations for the Cakes.

Honestly, I can't see business success or promotion being a measurement for Pinkie's sense of achievement. It really seems as the wrong metric, and it seems she already is at a good place as to where she would wish to be. She's the most free spirited of the six, and bogging her down with responsibilities would actually rob her of what she wants from life; having fun and making others have fun.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 65