I Hate Equestria Daily 642 members · 642 stories
Comments ( 75 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 75

It is truly a wonderful website, and I don't see why anyone would hate it.

Also have some music: Link

So why do you guys hate Equestria daily?

Too many Rules!!!
They are too strict as well!
It makes me FURIOUS... OUTRAGED!
SICK WITH ANGER!

I hate them only because its cool.

311540>>311549>>311558 To be honest I don't know what to say. On one hand I don't like EQD because of all the rules they have, but on the other I enjoy EQD because I can see some of the more popular fictions.

To me it's a love/hate relationship.

I don't 'hate' EQD perse. I have issues with their fanfiction proofreaders. Not because I'm 'butthurt' but because they tend to enact double standards everywhere. Claiming one story isn't good enough for X Y or Z reasons. Then promptly letting a dozen other stories through that have the EXACT SAME PROBLEMS and are usually even worse off for it.

Like which stories?

Not me. I took a look on the procedures for fics. Gave up on EqD plus I don't see what's so good about it.

I'm in the process of getting a story through, so I guess your mileage will vary

the process is subjective and done by volunteers, not paid professionals

I think you can expect a degree of variance

312147 I can't, think of one off the top of my head sadly. But I remember some, Starcraft crossover a while ago that was riddled with spelling mistakes and the 'Show Don't Tell' they crammed down my throat when I submitted a story was completely absent. And yet it not only got featured, but was given 5 stars...:rainbowderp:

True, true, I understand that some proofreaders have different tastes and the like. But when one person is letting a story through despite major flaws and another is rejecting one that's only half as bad. I tend to get a little miffed. STANDARDS are all I ask for.

That said I also agree with 312218 in that their rules are pretty stupid at times. Outright rejecting anything because its a certain genre is not fair in my opinion. A story should be judged on its strengths and quality. NOT because its a HIE fic or a sonic crossover.

Look at it this way. Since January 2012 (I don't have any earlier figures) 332 fics have been posted. So lets assume the same amount for the rest of EqD's life.

That's approximately 650 fics. That's a lot! If the site was as broken as you claim you should be able to reel off HUNDREDS Of terrible fics. But you can't even name one.

Even including that one fic you dislike, that's a 99.85% success rate! Hurrah!

Meh, I have a terrible memory. Can't remember half the ones I read and liked let alone the ones I read and didn't enjoy or found very poorly written :derpytongue2:

I'll agree the quality of most of the stories is generally quite good. They do have an eye for quality, but again, some stories fall way below the mark at times and still get high praise from the proof readers. Coupled with their rules that if the fan fic falls into a certain list, they just throw it aside outright without even giving it a chance.

Least that's what I've been hearing recently anyway.

Not liking how something is done is fine, but not liking something for spurious or wrong reasons based on half-whispered remarks isn't.

For example, you criticise EqD for not accepting HiE fics. HiE fics are accepted, they aren't against the rules (BRONY in Equestria fics aren't accepted, and even then, some have been posted if they are exceptional).

Nowhere does it say that Sonic fics are banned. In fact a Sonic fic was put up a while ago. The reason you don't see many is that 99.9% of Sonic crossovers are terrible.

Well, I'll admit I heard the rules were changed recently and was told different. I don't make a habit of checking the rules that often...

Going over them now however I see I was in fact, misinformed. And I apologize. I was told by friends that they changed the rules and flat out stated HIE, Sonic crossovers, and a several other things (I think META fics as well) were full stopped banned and would be rejected without even being looked at.

3) We will not accept the following:
— X-rated content, including sexually transgressive or gorey stories
— Incest, foalshipping beyond a schoolyard crush, and other broad cultural taboos
— Humanized/anthro stories
— Avoid people from the fandom, famous or otherwise.
— Copy-paste stories (e.g. The text of Harry Potter with character names swapped out)
— Stories written in a language other than English
"Brony in Equestria" stories. -Human in Equestria on the other hand is alright.

Looking over the actual rules though, I've bolded the ones I take issue with.

X rated and the like I can understand. Incest...I guess I can see but, really if its handled tastefully then I fail to see why its such a big deal :/ They let M/M ship fics through before, surely if their adults and its handled well enough...meh

The one I highlighted though...

Humanized/Anthro...I don't see why this is banned. Again if the story is GOOD it shouldn't matter the content, right? I've seen a couple of stories where ponies are humanized and their not terrible.

Not sure I completely agree with BIE stories being banned...like HIE if its written well, it shouldn't really be an issue, right? I know the majority are terrible but flat out banning them entirely seems a little harsh.

Tis just my opinion though :pinkiehappy:

Anyway, apologies again. Like you said I was misinformed and probably should have done the research myself. Coming from friends, I just kinda accepted it as fact and moved on.

I love EqD for news on the Bronydom.

I despise EqD for their elitist, draconian, hypocritical submission guidelines.

Won't accept anything grimdark anymore but they'll post garbage like PARTY.MOV.

Completely and utterly pathetic.

To be fair, the .MOV series is funny beyond belief.

341476 To be completely fair, yes, it is.

To accept that, but not all these different genres of fanfics that aren't as raunchy?

Hypo-fucking-critical.

True. It is somewhat hypocritical to deny moderate gore stories, but then advertise a videos that not only SEE Rainbow Dash cut in half, but Spike splattered with Pinkie Pie's menstrual fluids AND have Celestia's head bitten off by Discord.

In b4 everyone in this group gets mass banned because FIMFiction wants to grow "closer" to EqD

Their music side is corrupt (I have friends who have tried to post their, and I have talked to some people who know the setup quite well). Micthemicrophone is in charge of it, and he will reject a song because he personally doesn't like it or if he doesn't like the artist. It doesn't matter if it's amazing quality or not, he's entirely subjective which is ridiculous.

The fanfic portion is filled with double standards, and subjectiveness as well. I've had them give me false grammatical rules and then when I object (politely mind) I've had them get angry at me, and they never give any sort of source or credible reason why they are right, meanwhile if I'm not familiar with the rule I take the time to check before I call bullshit. They are incredibly condescending, and down right insulting at times, and in general, the site isn't even that helpful for anything. You can find pretty much all the stuff, except for fanfics, posted on reddit, and you can find good fanfics here quite easily.

I completely agreed, I used to check EQD daily. Now I check it monthly. The issue is they accept well-written stories, not good ones. As a result it tends to be flooded by stories that don't necessarily hold your interest, but are academically flawless.

That's not what I want when I read a story. I'm trying to enjoy myself and that's all that should matter.

Unfortunately I just got my third strike from EQD just now. Their reason was because I italicized or bolded more words than they liked. Welp, oh dear, back to writing the frontpaged, 5 star, 98% approval rated, 2,000 favourited story that just plain isn't good enough.

I guess I can just leave them with Twilight looks out a window, Estrus and far too many Fallout spinoffs to count. Or, maybe, I could read Ponies Play D'n'D (And it's 3, mundane sequels). And Cupcakes and The Rainbow Factory.
These Blue Wings of mine is terrible, poorly written and very Tell Not Show, and so is the one with Dash and Fluttershy where the cover is her in a hospital bed with her eyes covered. Oh well.

The End Of Equestria didn't make EQD though, and that story was brilliant, Twilight destroying Equestria in a global pillow fight. There are a lot of great fics I could name, like the biblical one of Nightmare tempting Twilight, that just didn't make it for obscure, infuriating reasons.

I want to point out I was bitter before my story was rejected, but to be rejected for such frivolous reasons after 3 total rewrites to their whims is crippling when I see such bland, uninteresting garbage constantly put up, well, it pushed me up from "Passive-aggressive apathy" to "Intolerant anger".

I have read a lot of boring, uninteresting but well-written stories on EQD. There's a very good reason I can't remember more of them: They were very un-memorable. The reason people don't tend to remember those stories is because they weren't worth reading in the first place.

This explains why most of the music is crappy, shitty dubstep remixes. By MicTheMic or Tombstone. Eugh.
Also I got called on Semi-Colon misuse. Seems reasonable right? I hit control F on the document in question and found I didn't even use any. Fuck them.

Prereader E here. You weren't rejected because of your failure to grasp the point of empasis, you were rejected because you didn't know how to show rather than tell and your failure to execute your jokes well made even many of the ones that could have been good just not funny. This is FiMfic; 98% approval rating is B stuff at best, though your story (680 likes and 38 dislikes) is at 94.7% approval.

Rainbow Factory isn't posted. Cupcakes was posted before prereaders existed, and sequels and Fo:E spinoffs don't go through the prereaders. I haven't even seen Estrus in the queue, much less posted. If the 'biblical' one you're referring to is 'And The Temptress Came Unto Her' by Device Heretic, it was most certainly posted; I approved that one myself.

There's plenty of valid criticism to level at EqD (The music sucks, the comics suck, the prereading rules are a fair bit less than obvious, Prereader E is an elitist bastard) without making stuff up.

THANK YOU for your legitimate criticism.

THANK YOU for accepting that story. I thought it hadn't made it. I do apologize.

No, see, I have no issues with being denied for those reasons. None. At all. They are completely legitimate issues that should be fixed if they were more clearly pointed out.

The 98% is because I have gotten over 150 likes and no dislikes since the re-write though is what I'm factoring in here.
That's the thing: I made a complete rewrite from the ground up after the first strike. It was essentially an entirely new story.
Then my criticism for the second strike listed such stunning insight as "Use dash's instead of hyphens" which I can't even do on this keyboard, and citing misuse of semicolons in the first chapter, which I didn't even use.

I don't think you're an elitist bastard at all for having the common decency to reply to me, or even seeking this board out. But it sickens me that I had to get a third strike before being told those very legitimate reasons.
Thank you for your reply, all you've done is make me angrier, but I don't blame the pre-readers. At all. It's not your fault, you're free unpaid volunteers. No.

What that doesn't stop though is that the fics section is flooded with bland crap because the criteria for passing a fic isn't how fun it is to read but how grammatically sound it is, which is inevitable when you get a site that large.

Also, please, for the love of god, WHY is the music section so full of dubstep?!

>I don't think you're an elitist bastard at all for having the common decency to reply to me

No, I'm an elitist bastard for plenty of other reasons.

>Also, please, for the love of god, WHY is the music section so full of dubstep?!

Because most pony music is made by amateurs and poorly-executed dubstep is relatively easy to make with nothing but a macbook and a pirated copy of Fruity Loops Studio.

And most fiction is terrible.
The difference is the amount of the terrible that gets rejected.

If it helps, we have stats as to how many we've rejected, versus approval.

It really doesn't. The fictions are bland, but the music is flat out terrible most of the time.

Knowing the statistics behind it doesn't change the end result. /shrug/.

I thank you for the offer, though!

To each their own, I suppose. We do try to appeal to the entire user base (or most of it) with the fic, for what that's worth.

That's the problem. When the community gets this large and you start trying to please everyone you end up pleasing no-one.

...Thus, the group, I guess.

I just really miss the days when the community didn't have big names, or just wasn't big in general. This isn't hipsterdom so much as it felt a lot... Cozier? Now there are people whose sole income comes from the fandom and it feels less like a community and more like an industry at times. This was inevitable from the moment it started being popular, and I accept that, but it makes the sites like EQD... Well they aren't fun to visit anymore. It's no longer fun amateur artists and writers sharing a common interest and coming up with surprisingly great things, it's serious authors and illustrators making amazing, awe inspiring... But isolating, mass produced and unrealistically achievable pieces.

You've stopped being the edgy webcomic and moved on to being The Garfield,

Welcome to the industrial revolution, may I take your coat?
The workshop is down the hall, there are no brakes and the luddites have been hanged.
Enjoy your stay.:pinkiesmile:

This guy is a troll, I used to troll with him and it was pretty cool.

Someone I know submitted their fanfic, and got a VERY rude rejection email. He rewrote it and tried again, only to have them tell him they no longer accept NLR/SE stories. I haven't submitted fanfic to them and I never will after all of the crap i've heard.
My gripe with them is art submissions. That i've tried a few times, and even though they looked better than some drawfriend material they didn't get in. There's definitely bias/double standard in this area because when they did that "Derpy's Bestest Day" thing even MS Paint sketches got in.
The only thing of mine to ever get featured there was a G1 Twilight custom, which was used as part of that (hilarious) April Fools day thing (I didn't even submit it). At first I was glad something finally made it, but now I think it was more of an insult.

Just joined to say thank you all for the good laughs, especially you EqD pre-readers for taking your time and reply to this comments. Without you this wouldn't be so funny (or probably funny at all).

Especially love the people who complain that their friends fics deserve to be on EqD then go out and call the pre-readers biased. :rainbowlaugh:

378546 Why not post some of the art here, or send me a link, the drawfriends are amazing so your art must be amazing too.

In my not so humble opinion, EqD is a really isolating website. They only accept the best of the best and nothing else. It really intimidates a bunch of newcomers who wants to contribute to the community, like me. I entered a story and it got rejected. I didn't mind though.

What I DO mind is the situation with comedy stories. There's the very eye rolling fact that EqD only submits stories that are well written, but not entertaining. A good example of that would be 'Loss.'

But when the pre-reader denies a story just because they didn't like the sense of humor, it becomes unfair. Comedy is a VERY subjective thing. Some people may find Fluttershy to be the funniest character in the show because of her personality while others find her bland and prefer Rainbow Dash because of the faces she makes.

What I'm trying to say is EqD's pre-readers need to stop placing their personal preferences before quality.

388711 The best of the best is hardly how I would characterize the fiction that they pass. More like bland and boring but safe. However just being worthless is not enough to get me to dislike their fiction department to the degree that I do. It is more that they take actions that can reasonably harm (or I suppose I should say have taken as I can not predict the future) writers and that they consent to and support all the other aspects of the website that harm other content creators the fan following as a whole and so forth.

>The best of the best is hardly how I would characterize the fiction that they pass. More like bland and boring but safe.

You seem to be under the delusion that these two things are mutually exclusive. Those really are the top percentile of the submissions we receive. As far as bland and boring, I can't really qualify what that subjectively means to your taste in literature, but I do find stories about griffons slaughtering a town of ponies a tad exciting under some circumstances. That being said, if you have an exciting story to recommend, I'd love to inspect it and post it if I thought it was good.

>being worthless

Oh, my heart. And here I was thinking we were friends.

>It is more that they take actions that can reasonably harm (or I suppose I should say have taken as I can not predict the future) writers and that they consent to and support all the other aspects of the website that harm other content creators the fan following as a whole and so forth.

I'm not sure what you mean here other than it is the nature of a position that rejects people.

Too much dubstep + electronic music.

Fanfic-search function is useless (so I go here).

'First'-ers - although I think they've solved this problem.

Hmm, I am a contrarian by nature...I like going against the grain on certain things, BUT still like them, to a certain extent.

For example..I am a member of NeoGaf, a very popular forums for Gaming news etc, but they too have their cliques, somewhat tighten moderation (which can be a blessing or curse dependent on the situation), and use of what I see as 'old Reddit and 9gag memes as comedy' and such.

I still go there and EQD because they are a great way for my interests and checking news. I don't intend to fully be against the site, but I hardly care for it to be my only source of Pony news (although there are some fictions I am working on I know that wouldn't get on, but I still wish to write and share them on here anyways).

Anyways...I guess I don't "hate" I utterly despise, but use; like Steam on my computer! =p

The Steam group is full of pricks.

> Incest...I guess I can see but, really if its handled tastefully then I fail to see why its such a big deal :/ They let M/M ship fics through before, surely if their adults and its handled well enough...meh
Did you just compare being gay to fucking your family? Yes, you did. Now, I'm not sure what podunk, small ass town you're from, but that is fucking wrong on so many levels. I haven't heard such outright bigotry from anyone but complete assholes. But let's address the issue at hand.

Incest creates genetic deformities, and lessens the gene pool. That, and it is generally destructive to society by creating offspring that cannot fend for themselves. Gays do no harm to society, and the only non-religious reasons to dislike them is that they are different, and do not produce children. So, I ask you simply, which is worse? And yes, there is a correct answer. Incest is worse by miles. There is no civilized society that endorses it, while almost all of them endorse and allow homosexual relationships. So, please tell me how we should at all equate stories about them? Oh, and just a tip: try not to sound like a bigot, which instantly means you cant say that we should equate them. And if you honestly think they are the same, I hope the men in white coats take your keyboard away from you, and confine you to your bed.

Hmmmm, in hindsight I could have worded that better lol. My bad :derpyderp1: No need to act so harsh though.

But no, I know full well they're completely different situations and being gay is much, much different to incest. No I don't believe incest is 'okay' or anything of the sort, that's stupid. All I was trying to say is that the story should be judged on its quality, not kicked to the curb simply because its something not everyone would accept.

Sorry for sounding like a bigot lol, that was not my intention. My point in this regard is the same as them banning Humanized/Anthro ponies. If the story itself is up to standard, surely its worth posting? :twilightoops:

I think what Rrazz was trying to say is that some people find slash distasteful just as some (well most) find incest distasteful.(am i right in saying that?) But both happen, so we shouldn't be afraid of portraying both in fiction. Of course MLP is a different kettle of fish, and adding problems for our world (drugs etc) is something I thing we should avoid.

I take issue with a few assertions Kurbz made as well as with the tone, but I totally respect his/her right to think and say what is on her/his mind. And I commend him/her for doing so.

Remember people, we're all Bronies here.

It would be easy to write a grammatically and stylistically correct story with flat 2D characters and a bad plot and have it on EqD.
But a good story that isn't 100% correct wouldn't make it.For example
David Copperfield has A LOT of telling, but that is because it's 1st
person.

Thank you :pinkiehappy: That was pretty much what I was trying to say Just worded better lol :heart:

IDK maybe people should just draw/write what they want and not give a flying f.... what EqD thinks of them. What about DerpyHoovesnews.com? Are their standards any different? There's another pony news site also.

Or maybe there should be a new site just for beginners.

Yes and no, mate, yes and no.

You see–though it might surprise you–we pre-readers are not a hivemind that all behave and respond to things in the same way. Just recently, we had a fic go up that, despite its entertainment value, was sloppily written in terms of grammar and spelling. Nothing gratuitous, but enough errors that it wouldn't have gone up had I reviewed it. But that's the way things work. We're all human beings, and human beings make mistakes, as much as we try to avoid them.

Now, on to your previous comments.

>In my not so humble opinion, EqD is a really isolating website. They only accept the best of the best and nothing else.

First off, starting like that is just asking for trouble. But I digress. We do not accept "the best of the best". We accept stories that are above a certain standard. Have we put up stories that are only barely good enough? Yes. Have we rejected stories that were amazing but needed revision? Yes. And with stories like that, we can only pray they come back. Point being, grammar is important, and we will tear your fic apart on it if it's a problem. And let's face it, that's why you're here; you're pissy because your story was rejected.

I've got unfortunate news for you. It wasn't ready. Your prose was dry, and your story was littered with constant grammatical flubs and formatting mistakes. As I said, it doesn't matter how good a story is. If it has grammar, spelling, and formatting errors, I'm going to send it back. If you don't take my advice and critique to heart, that's fine by me, because I'm certainly not losing anything from it. Call it "stupid shit" all you want, as you so eloquently put it, but it is in fact a problem with your story, and if it isn't fixed, it isn't going up. Tough break. A little maturity goes a long way, and it all starts being able to accept when you're wrong.

I don't really hate Equestria Daily, I just take things with a pinch of salt when I go on there. For example, I do go there looking for good stories sometimes but I hardly ever read those that have been posted recently. Instead I'll just look in the fiction archive, search some tags based upon what I'm in the mood for and look up one with 5 or 6 stars. Hopefully I'll like what I find. It's also good for things like news about the show and art, but it's also pretty bad for music. Speaking as a musician/producer myself I have to say that I almost always skip over the music posts, since their contents are usually just boilerplate brostep that sounds more painful than danceable or 'orchestral' music that consists of nothing but unconvincing MIDI string sounds. It's also quite annoying to get zero response from them when I've submitted a tune to them that I properly took my time to make when someone like MicTheMicrophone could get featured for a tune that was thrown together in about half an hour. But then again, maybe I've just got a whole 'starving artist' thing going on. *shrug*

Cons of EQD
1. Grammar Nazi's behind the wheel.
2. Double Standards, Double Standards everywhere.
3. Too serious.
4. The music they feature is bad a large percent of the time
Pros of EQD
1. Great for art
2. Great for news

The Cons outweigh the pros, they do keep us updated really well and the art they feature is good but the way the handle fan-fics is a bit off and the music they feature is bad most of the time.
so I give EQD :moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:///:moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:
5 mustaches out of 10

First off, people still use eqd for fanfics? I think the only thing that its good for in that department is seeing if PH updated since its on gdocs. Anyway, my main beef with them is the way they run their fanart. I would definetly say that what I have tried to post is just as good as some of the stuff that has already made it to the drawfreinds. I spent a good chunk of time and effort on my pieces, and they dont even give me the deciency to say I was declined? Thats just not cool eqd. Not. Cool. :ajbemused:

Take my opinion with a grain of salt if you will, but I believe that you should be able to write a story and not have to even worry about it being rejected. Obviously you should work on the story but I find it doubtful that many people would deliberately write a horribly written story. Many people are first time writers, like I am. I horribly rushed my first book, but I received some helpful criticism and now I'm doing better.:twilightsmile:

Exactly. That's what I ran into.
I think if you're with another pony website that they don't like, it can affect your chances of getting one on. I'm with the Ponygoons website/forums and I don't think they like that one.

312147 I'd just like to start by saying that I don't hate EqD itself nor its staff. And I'm also not here to pick a fight with you, Blue. I've just joined this group in order to be able to reply to your comment.

So, a few months back, I wrote a story called "Forever Yours" and sent it to EqD. The pre-reader pointed out its (many) flaws and told me he couldn't accept it because of them (something I'm 100% OK with). But he also told me that he wouldn't accept the story because, as he himself stated, "Bon Bon was raped".
Well, in the story it is implied that she was raped (the act itself wasn't written and passages like "blood coming out from her hind legs" aren't present {because it wasn't the story's focus}). I only show her father advancing towards her and saying something malicious "Candy... Let's see if you taste as sweet."

But then, what about Fallout: Equestria, which has a lot of slightly gory descriptions and, if I remember correctly, one scene in which it is stated that a filly was raped?

I have no problems with stories being denied if they lack quality (like mine clearly did). But if EqD says "no gore, no porn, no exceptions", I wonder why that "motto" isn't being sticked with. If quality is the issue then my story could've went through countless rounds of editing and whatnot, being eligible to be featured, don't you agree?

Well, this is what I have. Bear in mind that I'm not trying to scream "OMG, U GUISE ARE SOOO UNFAIR!!!111". I'd just like to point out this little double-standard issue. I'm not mad/sad in any way right now and, again, I don't want to pick a fight.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 75