One-Shotober 113 members · 431 stories
Comments ( 13 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 13
Twinkletail
Group Admin

So now that my 31st story is in the bag, I figured it might be fun for us to analyze our own stories and answer a few questions about them!

Well, I think it sounds fun! :ajsmug:

Anyway, here's a couple of questions that you can answer if you're so inclined! I'll post my own answers after others have posted.

1) Which is your favorite of the stories you wrote for One-Shotober?
2) Which is your least favorite?
3) Is there a story you wrote that didn't do as well as you expected, ratings-wise?
4) Is there one you wrote that did better than you expected?
5) Planning on expanding on any of the stories you wrote?

Maybe this'll be fun to do, maybe it won't. We'll see!

TheExhaustedBrony
Group Admin

1. Sacrifice or How Long is Forever are my favorites
2. Peachy Keen... :ajamused:
3. The Ultimate Prank or Alone With Myself didn't do as well as I had hoped
4. Peachy Keen and Sweetie Belle Finds a Box of Matches
5. Yes, most of them

Flint Sparks
Group Admin

There The Bones Lie
Twilight Invents Cell Phones
3) Is there a story you wrote that didn't do as well as you expected, ratings-wise?
Nope.
Oh, but I AM Weak and Helpless
Why..? :ajbemused:
Some of the shipfics, and the Spike story.

Pump It Up
Group Contributor

1. Separated by Penguin

2. None of them.

3. Not really.

4. Best Day Ever

5. Yeah. I'm planning on doing a one-shot in the same universe as Best Day Ever, and then a multi-chapter story. I might continue the ending of Oh to be Young Again, which was a beginning of a Daring Do book. That might end up being a collab. I have an idea that came from a line in Guessing the Groom involving Fluttershy.

Definately The Story of Rasa. I have had several people say that it inspired them to write their own. That single fact made happier than completing One-Shotober hands down.
Probably CHX: The Solution. I wrote this story not knowing I was falling prey to every changeling cliche out there. It is, by far, my most embarrassing story. So embarrassing in fact, that I tried to rectify it with another story, CHX: The Problem, which also failed miserably. :fluttercry:
Diary of the Stalked was initially swept under the rug like a dust bunny. I have other stories with even less views, but this one just didn't get the publicity I expected considering the story itself. I expected it to be on par with Hydrophobia or, at least, The Crystal
Second Failures shocked the living daylights out of me after arcum42 inducted it into Twilight's Library while the incoming folder had been locked. (I nearly fell out of my chair when that happened.)
Well... there is an expansion of several that will be my last submission for One-Shotober, but I can't say anything more...
6) How did you enjoy the challenge yourself? What were the highs and lows? (I added this one.)
I fought to succeed like I have never fought before. I started out strong in the first two weeks (I started on the 23rd of September), but then I grew extremely sick (regularly throwing up all night and day :pinkiesick:). Just as I was recovering and getting back into the swing of things, I went to Europe. I formatted an old netbook of mine, installed Ubuntu 13.04, and typed several fragmented stories on it, but still lagged behind a great deal. I returned last friday with only 14 stories in my folder, by sunday I had 24. (Hooray for Nos energy drinks and vitamin B-12). All in all, it was a great experience and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I await eagerly for next year's competition.

1) Which is your favorite of the stories you wrote for One-Shotober? Wittle Woona and Cewestia's Day Off

2) Which is your least favorite? My Little Poems 2

3) Is there a story you wrote that didn't do as well as you expected, ratings-wise? Applejack Eats Applejacks

4) Is there one you wrote that did better than you expected? Wittle Woona and Cewestia's Day Off

5) Planning on expanding on any of the stories you wrote? I will make a Wittle Woona series, but other than that, no.

DVAN56
Group Contributor

1.) One i wrote that was my favorite Rebirth of a Wind Demon

2.) Lest Favorite? None.

3.)One I wrote that didn't do better then expected. In terms of Rating they all did fantastic no disappointment there. In view Untold Tales of Nirn: The Truth of Skar(only 34 views at time of posting this.)

4.)Story I wrote that did better then expected? Mr. Popo! Why do you people like that so much.

5.) Plan on Expanding on any of the Stories i wrote. Yes, picked four of them and left it up for a vote to see which one gets done HERE.

TheTobacconist
Group Admin

1)Before Music was my favorite.
2)The Cakes Are Out was my least favorite
3)Sweetie Belle Makes a Scarf did not do as well as I expected.
4)Letters From the Equestrian Decency Association did much better than I expected.
4)Letters From the Equestrian Decency Association did much better than I expected.
5) I'm planning on doing an adventure story with horror elements that builds on the events in Play For Me, Blueblood's Pets, and Aftermath.

TheTobacconist
Group Admin

Alright, we shared. It's your turn.

Twinkletail
Group Admin

Yes it is!

1) I'd have to say it's a tie between One Bite, Daddy, and Blossomforth Needs Her Own Tag. One Bite was a personal favorite out of all of my stories actually, I really liked writing so much just about a sandwich. Daddy was a little tough to write as it brought up memories of my own dad, but I like how it came out a lot. And Blossomforth was a lot of fun, messing around with the concept was good times.

2) Detention was probably my least favorite. The story concept changed a couple of times while I was writing it, and I don't think the end result was that great.

3) I kinda expected Conquering the Cake Dragon and Wilting Rose to do a bit better. Cake Dragon was nice and ridiculous and one of my favorite moments from the RP I adapted it from. Wilting Rose was me trying to write an accurate depiction of depression. I'm not sure how well I did with that, but I thought it would get more attention regardless.

4) I did not expect A Hiccup in Reality to do as well as it did at all. It was just a little silly thing, and I even had people disliking the ending, but it's still managed to take the number two position in my top stories list.

5) I've had requests to write another part of One Bite, which I might do. It could be interesting to figure out how, if at all, Fluttershy ends up admitting her feelings to Rarity. I'm also most likely doing a sequel to The Cider Horse Rules, and it might even be my first foray into more risque material :rainbowwild:

TheTobacconist
Group Admin

"Pinkie Pie Throws an Alicorn Party" was the most satisfying to finish, because it was a half-finished story from months ago that I resurrected. "Devotion" may well be the best thing I've ever written.

"To Be That Kind of Pony"; it's rushed and forced and ends with the literary equivalent of "repeat the main riff while we slowly fade out."

Well, I was expecting "To be That Kind of Pony" to do as well as my other stories, but in retrospect I shouldn't have. But still, only +3? I was also, in infinite naivete, expecting "Sweetie Belle's Epic Quest for a Tree" to get featured. (I was told that silly premises were Feature Box Gold! Guess that only works for some authors...)

If anything qualifies, it's "Devotion."

No. I'm going to move on to the next thing.

I had the most fun writing Royal Decree, the idea of Twilight using her new status for friendly shenanigans is appealing.

Probably Decisions, the ending is forced and very abrupt, I really should have done better.

Schoolyard Scrap was barely a blip on the ratings map and it's a personal favorite. Poor Scootaloo didn't get much love.

Surprisingly, Girl Talk is my highest rated story ever, and I wrote it in one sitting on a whim.

Absolutely. Fix You, Revelations, and Decisions will all get sequels just as soon as I am able to.

I wish I could have done better with this challenge, but I lost too much time (got stuck going out of town twice). I eagerly await next years challenge though :pinkiehappy:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 13