Authors Helping Authors 2,462 members · 8,593 stories
Comments ( 50 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 50

EQD has been abuzz with news of Equestria Girls, the new "Twilight Sparkle goes to high school as a human" pony spinoff movie. I'm pretty much :rainbowhuh: about the whole thing, but what are other people's opinions? Anyone have fic ideas that will utilize the Equestria Girls setting? If you're a fan of Human in Equestria stories, are you excited about this?

Can't conclude anything without seeing it.

My initial reaction was kinda like :pinkiesick: , mainly because the cover art they released looked God awful. My opinion of it was elevated once the trailer was released, though, because the actual animation/art in the movie looks nothing like the cover art.

Besides, we get to see Twilight be even more awkward when she tries to adjust, and awkward Twilight is always funny.

It's an incredibly obvious marketing ploy in incredibly bad taste, done in an incredibly transparent attempt to try to be 'hip' with the Brony community, while also completely forgetting why we liked Ponies in the first place. :pinkiesick:

I was neutral before I saw the trailer, and Now I'm about nine-tenths of the way to outright dislike. I could rant for pages about everything that's wrong with it and why the whole concept is incredibly stupid, but that's not what you asked here.

I'll torrent it to give it a look, and hear some of Ingram's hopefully-good music amidst the teen melodrama bullshit. And I will admit it has the potential to surprise me greatly, but I've got pretty much zero confidence in it being worth even a single buck.

As for Fic Ideas - It might have some fun concepts to play around with, and it'll keep the HiE fans super happy. It might be worth taking the framework and reworking the entire concept from the ground up - but I wont know till I see it.

I, for one, was actually rather amused by the trailer, if only because of the part where Twilight eats an apple without her hands and Fluttershy just gives her this bewildered look. Hopefully, since it's an entire movie, it might not feel as rushed as the last episode of season three.

At this point, not even interested in watching. When I find an author that consistently writes stories I dislike, I'm not going to read more just in case it's good. Same logic applies, I thought S3 was a wash and the premise here looks truly awful. It's going to take some hugely positive analysis to get me to care.

-Scott

Well I'm actually rather interested in it. I like the idea of it for my own reasons (fits with my canon basically)

In terms of fic ideas two things interested me, first the hands bit and second the apple. I had in my mind a Twilight turns into a human fic and I want to see how Hasbro do it. Really I don't get where the hate is coming from. :rainbowhuh:

When it was first announced, I was completely indifferent. Now that I've seen the trailer, I can say that it looks like a horrendously bad fanfic made real. It seems like the general consensus is "watch it, and form an opinion." But... what if I don't want to watch it? I've never been interested in it since the day it was announced so I don't see any reason why I should bother for the sake of 'seeing everything with the MLP name'. It's the same reason why I didn't buy Metal Gear Rising despite the fact that I'm a huge Metal Gear fan. It just doesn't interest me.

I cannot even watch the trailer.
I've seen fanfiction with more compelling plots than this!
All of it reminds me of those horrible teen high school drama shows
that pop up on Disney.

I dislike even more so because of the following.
It might not be "canon", but I bet you that the majority of the fandom will conform to the status quo to include Equestria Girls in their art and fanfiction. Some may be good, but the other 90% is going to be pure trash. And whose to say that Hasbro won't canonize it? Hasbro will do it in a heartbeat.

In all likelihood, it will spread to this site. I just hope we get a filter for it.
*Cue fans coming in to call me a condensending jackass for not even giving it a chance.*

Nope, I agree with you whole heartedly sir. Just as EQD has a 'No Fan Fiction' filter, it would stop a lot of senseless arguments and crap storms if we got a 'No EQG' filter here. Tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if EQD get something like that too. I would use it.

984816 It raises an interesting point. Can it avoid being worse than Double Rainboom writing wise? I'm not even sure.

I cannot wait to see it, honestly, I think I will like it.

984783 I think it looks great. The only things I'm iffy about are the mysterious blue haired guy, which I assume is going to be some kind of quasi-romantic interest for Twilight, and casting Spike as a dog (I know they took him to the vet in that one episode, but still... I wanted my humanized Spike:applecry:).

The visuals look great. I'm digging the human designs on the ponies. The plot looks fun. I mean, the plots of Friendship is Magic episodes are not generally any more original, really. The movie looks like it was aimed at young girls. The reason I adore the show is for the characters. And that's all I need from this movie. If they get the characters right and have some cool Friendship moments, maybe a bit of magic, I'm there.:rainbowdetermined2:

But I still don't trust this blue-haired kid. I'm expecting a bland personality that I'm going to hate. Steer clear of the relationship between him and Twilight and make it all about Twilight and her friends and this will be awesome.

I expect Human in Equestria fans are either happy because the show is giving them possibilities to work with:pinkiesmile:, or extremely miffed because the unsympathetic boot of Canon is about to squash their own ideas about how it is supposed to work.:trixieshiftleft:

But the great thing about this being in a separate movie? If you don't like it, just ignore it. The comics are like that too. The show is probably never going to mention the events of the movie again (just as it will probably never mention the comic stories, or Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell). So if it turns out to be awful we don't need to hold it as part of canon. But if it turns out to be good, then it's got the same voice actors and animation and we can happily adopt it.:twilightsmile:

Finally someone sensible .

vren55
Group Admin

984783 I :pinkiesick: but I do have a tiny bit of hope for the writers to pull a miracle off. Also... it isn't THAT bad...

Actually nevermind the fact Twi got a boyfriend really really pisses the S*** out of me. I mean seriously? Hasbro wtf?

I do hope they pull off something good (the music is at least pretty good, Ingram is awesome), but if anything I've been convinced to not spend any money on getting this.

vren55
Group Admin

984898 Well to be honest the human designs on the ponies aren't bad...

I just don't understand why their skin is the same colour!!!! Their clothes, pretty good, it keeps with canon, but their skin?????? And like you said I'm really annoyed at the quasi-romantic interest for Twi.

still I hope they are able to go somewhere.

True. But Aegis Sheild pointed that the blue hair guy could be Shinning Armor in this world. If you want read more just check out his blog,

People said double rainboom was a bad fanfic. I say Snowdrop turned out to be like a fanfic in the end, this looks balantly like a bad fanfic in an obvious sense.

985113... Wait, nobody else thought that after watching the trailer?

985087 Personally I liked that the skin colors were the same as their coat colors, but it would have been nice to see actual human skin on them... On the other hand, that would have meant assigning actual human races to the characters, and I'm guessing Hasbro preferred to avoid the issue altogether by just keeping them purple, pink, blue, etc.

985113 That would make me happy.:twilightsmile:

Surprisingly not. From the reactions I've been reading most never thought about it and assumed he was a "love interest"

I'll give it the same shot I gave the show in the first place, and take it in stride as I did with Twilicorn. It has potential, I'll give it that, but i need to see it before I judge any further. Plus, this is a show marketed for little girls, only makes sense they would make the movie just as oriented for little girls :ajbemused:

Without repeating what everyone else has already said, i thought the music sounded all right, but disappointingly generic considering the quality that the team usually puts out. It could have come from any Disney teenybopper movie trailer.

And the romance thing pisses me off, not because I'm opposed to romantic plotlines, but because an obsession with romance/boys was the big thing Lauren Faust wanted to avoid with FiM and it feels almost malicious of them to turn their back on that.

But then again DS9 pissed all over Gene Roddenberry's vision of an optimistic future for all mankind and it's my favourite Star Trek series so who am I to talk?

Hasbro doesn't have a canon policy, there's no "canonizing" that will happen.

ROMANCE!?

Are you fucking kidding me!!?

That's it, deals off!
Hands off my shipping material Hasbro!
You'll never take me alive!

I'll be honest, I'm just mad because they put Sunset Shimmer in it.
They be messin' with ma headcanon yo.

984783 haven't decided yet... I'm kind of waiting for it to come out... :derpytongue2:

Yeah that blue haired dude in the trailer has 'High School BF' written all over him. He probably skateboards.

If it's any consolation you're Sunset seems a better developed character so far.

Like THIS highschool Drama?

985827 Thank you. :twilightsmile: Part of me is hoping this movie crashes and burns so it makes my Sunset look better by comparison. I think it's working so far...

Twilight Sparkle goes to school.
Twilight Sparkle has a love interest.
Teenager drama.
The "skin color is the same as their pony coat" thing.*

*lol that's racist.

It's ironic, I was always afraid of telling people in real life that I like ponies.

Now I feel the same way here about Equestria Girls. How the wheel turns...

Going to join this one for once...

I just cant stand anything that is set in an American High School simply because they are all filled with cleche's and badly plotted stories.

Then again this might offer some respite but I doubt it. I just cant see Hasbro breaking from the easy money option or taking any risks with the film which is going to leave up with a pile of junk.

Ok, I will admit that I haven't watched any of these High-School drama thing but the whole concept and the adverts just make me go NOOOOO! They just come across like Eastenders or Corination Street, just younger (But with less death and more trashy relationships).

I want it to be good. I want to find it fun but even from the trailer I think the best parts will be the first 5 mins and the last 5 mins when they are all ponies! We like My Little PONY! for a reason Hasbro!

986273 Trust me. You DON'T want to watch one, even if your life depended on it...
So corny, and not in the good way. So shallow...

Nothing but utter GARBAGE.

984796 I don't like the idea of ponies being human it kinda ruins it for me the same with humanized ponies and at times Anthro

This comes from a HIE fan and novice writer

985409 Uh huh, I'll believe that after the fandom stops conforming to every little change made in the show.

"Conforming"? You sir, must have a patently ridiculous notion of what a fandom is.

I was quite honestly disgusted by the trailer, like sick to my stomach.

Having the ponies be humanized is one thing, and it's something that can work too if done correctly, but having all the high school popularity/ prom bullshit just struck me the wrong way. The main reason why I love MLP: FiM is because it's a girl's show that's NOT about those things. There's enough shows out there about this stuff and one of the main reasons for MLP's success was that it wasn't like other shows. Also, the part where Twilight hugged the boy was my breaking point. I just couldn't take it after that. I can see Twilight with a love interest if it's done right, but not this.

Also, MLP is still considered a girly show by people who haven't watched it, and I'm worried that the movie will cement the idea that MLP is a sterotypical girl show to people who haven't watched it before. They'll see or hear about the movie and assume the show is the same way.

And I'm also angry that THIS is the MLP movie. When I was a kid I was a hardcore Spongebob fan (the new Spongebob doesn't exist in my mind) and remember being super exicted for the movie. It seemed like everything I could hope for, and when I saw it it was. It was the movie Spongebob deserved. Is Equestria Girls really the movie MLP: FiM deserves?

Given the way everyone is reacting to it, I'd say it is. :/

I'm not hugely enthusiastic. But I always adopt the premise of "Wait and see before you judge", so I guess I'll do that.
But initial impressions? It's a load of bullshit. I have enough fucking melodrama in real life, I don't need to see it on TV. That's the reason I get pissed when ever anyone turns on the Disney channel in my house. :pinkiesick:

985970 I'd tend to agree with you.

986412 The same could be said of your arrogance, as unto mine. I hate conformity, and I should know when I see it. Perhaps not an intentional move on Hasbro's part, but if this becomes a main thing, then you can kiss any of the usual fair of HiEs goodbye.

Done with Luna, done with Derpy, done with Twilight, you name it.
It will only go downhill from here, at least for me.

It's arrogance to call you out on your egoism? MMkay. Let's just ignore the fact that a fandom by definition exists only in terms around that which they are a fan of. Bronies are defined by the show; thus it is not conformity to attach themselves to it except in the sense in which it is necessary to do so to be a brony at all. Your entire melodramatic spiel is nothing more except an attempt to justify your "I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT" attitude and an attack on those who do not have the same.

So yes, you hate conformity, but only when it's conforming to something you disagree with...

High school + crown + prom + Bad looking animation = cliche + MLP = Why?

The animation is the same quality as the show, just the designs are rather... ugly.

986666 To put it bluntly, you are correct in your assessment.
So I am melodramatic about the damn thing, I just want to preserve what I hold dear.
By itself, things such as Twilicorn, the Luna Eclipsed episode are very benign and non-threatening.
Hell, I am even capable of enjoying some of those depictions.

But what pisses me off is that people automatically seem to jettison their version of fanon, regardless of quality, and into an abyss, never to be seen again.

Some people would call my complaining on this part whining. They would be indeed correct on that assumption. But I have my reasons. Why not let both co-exist, instead of going either one or the other?
But no, that would be just too good to be true, wouldn't it?

I see the general attitude here from my perspective.

"Fanon is always automatically inferior to canon, no matter the circumstances. Any who says otherwise are at best fools. At worst, retards that need to be purge from the system. Canon is the sole gospel. To go against it is treason. Creative thought in branching off is to be discouraged. Any complaints are nothing but petty whining."

Such prejudice, be it both perceived by the imagination and its real counterpart, compel me to go on these such spiels. You aren't the first person to make an argument against me, nor will you be the last on a never ending list of reason. Your stance has solid ground on which to compliment your argument.
Am I petty? Sure. I freely acknowledge this part of my flaw. Am I melodramatic? Oh certainly, be it to make a point, or just to release my emotions, even if this isn't the most ideal form to do so in.

(Hypocritical? I have long since made the conclusion that people are naturally inclined to be so in every shape, way, and form, even if they themselves are not aware of it. If it is beneficial to ones advantage to break a value normally held dear, then that individual will do so. Hence, why I act this way.)

But when you say that only canon is the proper way to go, it appears to me that all the effort that went into creating fanon that has since discredited worthless and all for naught. There was no point to it. It leads me to thinking this. If this is going to happen, then perhaps a ban on this type of speculative fiction must be enforced to prevent this from happening. That way, I won't ever need to see stories and their theories be shot down like dogs. Is this selfish? If this doesn't qualify as it, then I don't know what does.

But my point, if a ban is enforced, it would therefore go to say that this will make people devoted their resources to creating fanon that WON'T be ousted by canon. Restrictive? No doubt. But better that then to see this disruption. (Both caused by users such as myself and exterior outside sources.)

As for an explanation for such a long winded comment of no apparent beneficiary advantage to either individual? Simple. I care about what happens in this fandom. It doesn't amount in contrast when say, in concerns with feeding starving children, but I have something which I hold dear threatened, I will do my damnedest to defend it. My arguments will not always be sound. Much of it could be attributed to worthless emotional expenditure in what must be a pragmatic world.

The point of even arguing over a damned children's cartoon could have me catapulted to the likes of insanity. But what little comfort this world of cruel malice can offer, I will guard it jealously.

I don't get why in the nine levels of Dante's Inferno alicorn Twilight gets a general free-pass, and yet THIS has everyone and their dead grandmother crying out and letting slip the dogs of war. Sure, it feels a bit fanficky, but so does Canterlot Wedding (c'mon, just think about it. Two, three counting Chrysalis, characters we've never heard of and have never been mentioned prior to this episode are dropped in--one a princess and one Twilight's never-seen, never-mentioned brother--and the villain manages to beat Celestia, which could probably make her intensely overpowered or just mean that Celestia's abilities were grossly exaggerated; seriously, in 3 seasons, Celestia did, like, MAYBE two things: reverse Twilight's spell in Lesson Zero and send Twilight to Ponyville to learn about friendship). At least this, despite the contrivances, seems pretty good. Good animation, really cool-looking versions of the CMC and Vinyl Scratch, though the one thing that the trailer states/implies is that Twilight gets a boyfriend which I have mixed feelings about but otherwise want to see where they take it. Besides, maybe I'm just better on it because I'm making my own 'Mane 6 displaced in alternate dimension' fic.

987277 Either way EG still looks terrible.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 50