• Published 7th Feb 2012
  • 832 Views, 1 Comments

Pony Poems Vol. 1 - Show Off



A collection of poems written for a creative writing class.

  • ...
 1
 832

Author's Notes

These are all poems I wrote over the course of a semester in a creative writing class. I decided early in the poetry unit to use ponies as my main inspiration for every poem we turned in, then to tell the teacher at the end of the class. More on her reaction later. But I did meet two other bronies in this class, which was my first time meeting bronies out in real life.

The difficult part was subtlety. I wanted to leave the poems open to interpretation, unless and until you were familiar with MLP. Cannot unsee...

Below are the class-designated prompts and the inspirations I drew to complete the assignments for those prompts.

Vinyl Scratch

Prompt: Write a poem using rhyme; meter optional.

Inspiration: Vinyl Scratch, obviously. I've always wondered what her story was (I'm working on an actual fanfic about her now). I've never been to rave, so I just sort of imagined what it's like and ran with it. A guy in the class who had been to raves in Paris told me he thought I captured it perfectly, and another lady thought I was a DJ myself.

I think this is probably my favorite poem out of these (and thus, it is first). Also, when this poem was being workshopped, I couldn't look at the other bronies in the class because we had just met and I explained the poem. That was a fun class...

Shrunken

Prompt: Write a poem from an altered perspective.

Inspiration: Human in Equestria? Too manestream. So what pony experiences an altered perspective? Applejack! I used the effect that Poison Joke took on her to achieve this "altered perspective." Alright, so this one's not that great, I admit. It was also the first poem of the semester, which is probably why it won't be winning any awards anytime soon.

Yeah Applejack! WOOOOOOooooo *crash*

This is no Sunny Glade

Prompt: Write a poem based on a piece of art.

Inspiration: Despite what you may think, this one was pretty hard to find inspiration for. Now not only did the poem have to vaguely allude to ponies, so did the art piece. The name of the game was "subtlety." Luckily, I had a friend to help me out. Famosity painted a picture called 'Plants'. It's a kind of abstract piece based on the Everfree forest, which gave me something great to work with.

Plants

Teacher is to Student as Mother is Daughter

Prompt: Write a letter poem.

Inspirations: Hm...letters...let's think...who could we possibly use for a letter poem. Twilight, can you think of anypony?

So this wasn't your typical letter to Celestia. I wanted it to be a more personal, uplifting letter than just a friendship report. The rest pretty much speaks for itself.

So there you go.

Oh! Right, the teacher's reaction.

Me and the two bronies in the class were the last to leave the classroom one particular night. We were discussing MLP, using only terms bronies would understand, and were speaking rather excitedly.

The teacher turned and gave us a strange glance. "What are you all talking about?"

One of the bronies hung his head. "You don't wanna know..." he replied.

Our other companion took a more head-on approach. "Yeah, we're bronies," he said bluntly.

"We're fans of the show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic," I explained to her.

Her jaw dropped. "Are you serious?"

I nodded and continued. "Also, I think you should know that every poem I've written this semester was inspired by ponies."

She threw her head back and shouted "Everything I know about reality is wrong!!"

I shit you not, that was her reaction. She was kind of dramatic...

And there you have it. More poems may follow, I'm not sure yet.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment