• Published 11th Apr 2013
  • 320 Views, 1 Comments

There was a house in Neigh Orleans... - Silverweed



Trusting somepony can be hard, but it also can be rewarding

  • ...
 1
 320

...they called it Rising Moon

There was a House in Neigh Orleans…
It was one of those boring, long workdays an she would have been happy to do the same old, lame Work until her shift had come to an end: Moving Clouds from one side of the town to the other – something even Sisyphooves would find rather tiring. But her Boss had received an order for an light rain shower, just before her shift ended and to that account the otherwise boring workday had become rather hectic shortly before its end.
One of her colleagues had derped and the light rain shower had become quite heavy and some of the town weather-Pegasi – to whom she naturally had to belong – were getting quite soggy during the clean up.
Now, after a hot shower and a light dinner, she was waiting for her friends to pick her up, because they wanted to get out to one of the bars in town. Due to how it is with such moments, her thoughts shifted to her current life situation.

Weather-Pegasus, why had I choose to pick up that job, it is not as if, it has anything to do with my special talent. Unwillingly her eyes wandered to her flank, where a picture showed a pair of dices, which scores displayed the number seven. But nether the Number nor her name had yielded her any luck. Lucky Seven? More like Vexed Seven! How could Mother…

With a heavy sigh shook Lucky the unhappy memories from her mind and freed her glass with a final, long gulp from it’s contents of nearly even parts Gin and Tonic Water.

Not long afterwards her friends had arrived and together they were on their way. Where their way would take them didn’t matter. The Bars in this village, in which Lucky had found employment, were mostly in one and the same alley, only a few would be haphazardly strewn across an adjacent quarter. But it seemed today was one of those day were nothing would really work out and the friends soon found out, that every bar in the alley was already packed to bursting with other ponies without enough room for their own group. Given the size of said town that was something short of a wonder.

Bright White, a completely white earth pony mare with emerald green eyes and in some way or another related to one of the larger clan of farmers in the area, snorted annoyed. She had hoped, after a hard day’s work on one of local farms, to quickly find a Place for the gathering of the group of friends, especially after she had finally convinced the other farmers to take up her evening chores.
Eight Ball, a dark grey unicorn colt who had leaf green mane and tail and lilac eyes, he made his Bits via creating personalized Horoscopes shook his head and laughed.

“What have I prophesied at our last gathering?” He exclaimed with a self-satisfied grin. That grin didn’t survived long, because Springs, a Pegasus mare with hot magenta coat which hurt your eyes if you stared long enough and mane and tail a darker shade of magenta, rolled amber eyes which always seemed to be alight with an ember of fire.

“Oh Eighty, you haven’t to be clairvoyant for that.” She giggled, which earned her a rather contrite expression from Eight Ball. Lucky Seven and everypony else of the group were content in making more common Smalltalk or just to enjoy the company in silence.

The group of gathered friends, dead set to find a bar or some other local, which could host them all and the additional purpose to lighten the guests head and money pouch via serving various kinds of alcoholic beverages of course. With all bars and locals in the alley totally occupied they had no other option but to switch to one of the few bars in the adjacent quarter. To quicken their search for such a fitting establishment they split up. The Pegasi of the group had a clear advantage, while their earthbound friends had to follow the partly labyrinth-like roads, alleys and shortcuts. From time to time they would find a bar or club, but to their growing frustration these as well were packed with ponies, even the pegasi, who could take a direct route couldn’t secure a spot for the clique.

“Do you think there is much use to continue the search?” , asked Callie Graph, a unicorn colt with aquamarine coat, peach colored mane and tail and cyan eyes. “Seems like everypony has got a prescription for ethanol tonight”

“You always write stuff off to fast, Callie.” , complained his girlfriend Trans Script. She was also a unicorn, had rose coat, a two-toned mane and tail, with the main color matching her coat and light blue stripes. Her eyes were pale yellow.

“We will still find a place, I’m sure of it.” To prove her point, Script let her eyes rove about the street in which the gathered group only had her most recent failed attempt to acquire the possibility of a place for them to spent the rest of the fading evening and at least a good part of the night to drown their everyday problems, at least for this shot time period, in diverse alcohol-heavy drinks and cocktails.
Try as she might, Script was unable to spot the next bar, which of course was only because the street had no additional establishments of that sort to offer. With a sheepish grin and a bit helpless shrug she turned to anypony else.

“Well, this spot obviously isn’t here, so we better move on…” Without hesitation she trotted down the street and turned around a corner.


After what seemed to be an eternity almost all places which could fulfill the goal of this evening were trudged by and the few which still available were scarce. The friends had at least uncovered, that because of a rather unlucky coincidence three different sport events were held today and now the local locals lay lamed due to their fans and teams. Script and Graph had left the group to pursue more romantic activities in lone togetherness. But that, to their chagrin, didn’t seem improve the chances of the remaining six friends by a huge margin, even if it was far easier to find room for six rather than eight ponies.
Dust Cloud, for somepony with that kind of name quite lanky, scraggy earth pony stallion, but with colors true to his name for coat, mane and tail, spied a bar in a narrow, uninviting alley, which must have been overlooked by most ponies, so it seemed that they finally were successful. Lucky, set to get at least this tiny victory out of this near endless day, took to the air.

“I’m securing a table; we sure will be Lucky this time…” Without finishing the sentence she shot off to the entrance of the bar. As she was mere metres away from the bar, her flight slowed absentmindedly down.

Something feels wrong, but what could it be? Maybe it’s just the building? Yes, that must be it. No Wonder, hopefully it’s not that neglected inside as it’s outside leads to believe.

Seven reached the door and entered. She searched the room for suitable table. The bar was, even with its location and appearance, rather well frequented.

Must be of today’s events, seems as if the barkeeper is a bit in over his head. Lucky shrugs and keeps surveying the room. Ah, there! In the back! There should enough room for als six of us. Seven rustles her wings excitedly.
Finally! Lucky being lucky... She chuckles quietly at her own joke for a moment. A forgotten reflex surfaces unwillingly and she begins to tap her Cutie Mark with a wing, but stops it immediately when she notices it. Odd, I haven’t done this in ages, not since…No, stop it! Not now, not today, I’m thinking enough about my past already.

It took Lucky a couple of seconds to realize, that her friends had already entered and were now occupying the table. They all seemed to give her concerned looks, well, not all, Springs had, after she had gotten to her seat begun to tilt her head every which way to take in the whole dining area. After that, she was content to flash Lucky a wide grin and to wave at her. Irritated Lucky shook off her daze and walked a bit too stiffly over to her friends, who were seated by now and had begun to order their first round of drinks.

“Are you alright? That’s normally so not you to just zone out like that.” Remarked Wind Whistle, a weather-Pegasus just like Seven, working as one of her colleagues in the local weather division, but with the difference, that she was convinced to do so by her Cutie Mark.

“Y-yeah, I’m ok, was just thinking about some unimportant stuff.” Countered Lucky and shrugged noncommittally and focused her concentration on the waiter who conveniently had just arrived with their first round of orders.

“Uh-huh,” , said Whistle and gave Lucky one of those ‘I-don’t-believe-one-Bit-of-that-junk’-Looks. “If you say so, then it means it has to be true.” Whistle commented and then herself began to nurse her drink.


After a few rounds of drinks had gone by the expected and wished for effect of the alcohol had begun to show itself in the mood and relaxed postures of one or another pony in the group. Unfortunately Lucky wasn’t one of them, which was made quite obvious with her rather tense sitting position.

“Why does this place feel so familiar? I’ve never been here before, but why else would I get that bad vibe?” She muttered, barely quiet enough that only she could hear it.

Once more, her eyes swept over the inside of the bar and its inhabitants, but just as before, there seemed to be nothing what would have been the cause for her anxious mind, but that did not help to squelch her feelings of unease. With her occupation on her thoughts it took her a few moments to notice, that she had sucked only air through her straw and not some Gin Tonic.

Huh? Empty already? Maybe I should slow down a bit on the drinks for tonight. I wouldn’t want to have Whistle all over town, telling everpony how much liquor I had this night. Well, then again, it’s not like I wou… In that moment fate was bored and decided it was time for action. Luckys eyes locked on a pin board, fate would later insist that this wasn’t his fault, but destiny’s doing, on the far side of the room. The pin board featured various notices and postings, ranging from old Flyers and Hand-Outs to some old and not-that-old-but-not-new-either newspaper articles, some of those articles looked rather antique caused to a good degree by time, cigarette fumes and unidentifiable droplets of unknown origins, which had found their way in one sort or another on these papers. One of those newspaper articles caught Luckys eye especially. The writing was faded and unreadable due to the yellowish and stained paper, but its photo was clear enough and it let Luckys blood run cold.

Wha-what how? This can’t be! This is uncanny; I’m a long way from home. No! This isn’t happening, not today, not here, not now… The sounds of the bar, its guests, the conversations of her friends about work, planed activities or other Smalltalk faded to the background as Sevens own thoughts started to scream in her head.

Why? Oh sweet Celestia, why? After so many years, why is it that my past has to still haunt me? Isn’t it enough that this is the third village in five years where I have to start over? First Las Pegasus, then Baltimare and now Ponyville. What will happen if Whistle and the other find out? Oh, who am I kidding, of course they will find out? They will react like all the others before them and reject me. I don’t want to start over, not again! But I won’t let that happen! I cannot allow that they…they…

Because of the effect of the alcohol Lucky slunk with somewhat sluggish movements out of her seat and walked with hesitant steps to the pin board. Her eyes never left the cursed relic of her past.
Said relic was pinned to the board a few inches above head-height and in her imagination it would look down at her and taunt her with a mocking grin. Although the walk to the newspaper article only took mere meters, in Sevens mind’s eye the time it took her to reach it stretch on for an unnaturally long interval of time. After she had reached the pin board she just stood there uncertain what to do.

Finally I’m here, took me somewhat long enough, but what now? Oh that’s just perfect; I had better thought about what to…Ah, d’oh! I just rip it off. I’m sure nopony will notice.

With a few unsteady beats of her wings, Lucky took to the air and hovered a couple of centimeters from her accursed reminder of what was once her life. Most guests didn’t bother with the akward antics of that particular Pegasus, only a few here and there glanced her way, before they once again returned to their drinking buddies or drinks. Luckys friends however kept their eyes on her. Lucky herself was too busy with the article to notice that her friends looked on in worry, uncertain if they should intervene.

I get you now! Argh wretched thing, stop moving already! Just a little more, yes, that’s good, keep swinging in my way…aaaand, gotcha!

Lucky took the offending paper in her mouth and ripped it with a satisfying sound from the wall, spat it in one of her forehooves. Memo to self: Rinse tongue. Finally she crumpled it into a yellowish, not completely round, paper ball.
The ungraceful landing, which was to be honest more of a controlled tumble, resonated with a muffled ‘Clack!’ as her four hooves struck the hard wood floor at the same time. For Luckys inebriated mind the shift in movement came to abrupt and she stumbled against the wall.

“Ow!” mumbled Lucky as she rubbed the sore spot on her forehead with a hoof. {i]That will leave a bump. But she never lost her smug smile as she trotted back, the crumpled tucked under her right wing. It was only after she reclaimed her seat that she was able to take in the bewildered looks on her friends faces.

“Ehehehe…uhm…” she rubbed the back of her neck sheepishly with a hoof, clearly a little embarrassed of herself. “I ahm, uhm…Could you order for me, I have to use the little fillies room.”

As she clambered of her seat Luckys right wing got caught on the edge of the backrest for a moment. Something she didn’t notice, but was wholly sufficient to allow the paper ball to slip free and land on Luckys seat. Normally Lucky would have realized that, but in her intoxicated state, fuzzy from Gin, a bit embarrassed because of her recent action and a little nervous that her friends would unravel her past, this little detail slipped her mind.

***
At the table

Wind Whistle waited a few moments, until Lucky was out of earshot and sight, than blinked

“What was THAT?” She looked around and nopony had a clue what had gotten into Lucky Seven. “Ok, who’s of the opinion that she owes us an explanation?” Three forehooves rose, only Dust Cloud shook his head so Whistle fixed him with a questioning gaze.

“Whatever it may be,” he started a bit uncertain, “it occurs to me that it is something cringe-worthy to her. If it would be something that she would deem worth telling, she will certainly do so.” Whistle rolled her eyes at his choice of words, but continued nonetheless.

“What? Oh come on! We are her friends after all, if it’s anything that ruffles her wings that much, shouldn’t we, I don’t know, ask about it?” Bright and Springs nodded in consent, the latter more enthusiastically. Eight Ball looked into his drink, uncomfortable with the direction the evening was heading. Dust still shook his head.

“No. Think about it Whistle. How would you react if there would be something of that magnitude and your so called friends would press you for an explanation?”

“Oh c’mon. Well, yeah I think ya’re right.” stated Wind, somewhat solemn, in defeat. She then looked down to her empty glass.

“But still, I don’t like this, I got the feeling that we leave her high and dry…”

“I understand completely, but we cannot force her to spill it out. If it is something really serious she will come clean with us, I suppose.” Dusts shoulders slouched a bit as he finished, which in return took Springs as her cue to brighten the mood by telling a joke or silly story. Bright stopped her by holding one of her hoofs over Springs mouth and shook her head. With her free hoof, she signaled the barkeep that they would order the same stuff again.

Whistles gaze meanwhile had found the crumpled newspaper article, which had slipped free from under Luckys wing.

Huh, what’s that? Must’ve something to do with the stuff that let’s Lucky blows the whistle mentally. I wonder what it could be that rattles her that badly.

“What is that in your hoof?” asked Dust. His voice bringing her back from her own thoughts.

“Oh, uhm, don’t know. Could be related to whatever Lucky freaks out about…Uhm, wait, I’ve got it any minute now.” Whistles concentration was fully on the crumpled piece of paper. Her tongue had wandered to a corner of her mouth and its tip was poking through her lips, while she tried to unravel the paper without tearing it.

“AHA!” with a shout of triumph, Whistle had uncrumpled the paper and placed it before her on the table. “Huh, it’s just an old newspaper article? What does it have to do with it all?”

What is this all about? The text is completely unreadable and…Woah, Drek! Is that… Whistle swallowed hard “Guys? You wanna check this picture here…”

Without a word the article was handed from one group member to another. Time and again their features shifted from surprise over Whistles behavior to shock. Dust was the last in tow.

“Ok, what is the matter? I don’t see wh…oh.” The scrap of paper slipped from his grip and glided down and settled roughly in the middle of the table.

The photo of the article showed a ominous appearing, old house. Above its entryway hung an sign. The letters on the sin were mostly extinct, but they were miraculously readable without a hitch. The sighn identified the house as “Rising Moon”. With its back to the photographer was a young Pegasus, the image on its flank, oddly completely visible, depicting two dice, their score displayed the number seven.

***
At the little fillies room

It was no wonder that the restroom was as shabby as seemed the rest of the bar to indicate. So it came at no surprise for Lucky, that the opaque light of the lamp and the dirty, flaking mirror were not able to lighten her mood. Her normally royal blue coat appeared as dark as her mood and stood in a more stark contrast to her eyes with their color like wild honey as they usually would. Her spruce ochre mane and tail with its dark turquoise stripes seemed more like a marking of a sick bee instead of a rain-soaked field of sunflowers. But the most devastating feature was the deep scowl that stared back at her from her mirror image.

Celestia, what was I thinking? They’re obviously suspicious and when I return they’ll be gone. I can’t blame them, why should anypony be friends with somepony like me? She splashed water against her face. Ok, ok, you can do this and don’t jump to conclusions like Trans Script usually does, they probably believe that I’m currently just a bit jazzed and they know that I have a bit of a hard time recently they’re just concerned.

She focused on taking slow, deep breaths, the first few were a bit shaky, but the more time had passed, she managed to calm down.

Good! So is fine! All is calm. All is well. They don’t know anything about my past in Neigh Orleans and are just concerned. They’ll wonder why I pulled that stunt at the pin board. No Problem, the alcohol was at fault. I better slow down on the drinks already.

Lucky took a some couple of moments to stare at her reflection in the mirror and tried a few times to come up with a convincing, light hearted smile. After she was satisfied with the Result she got through her mane a few times to ensure it was at least somewhat presentable she started to return to her friends.

Seems Mother was at least useful for one thing besides smoke and mirrors. Seven mused on her way back. Now, that my mane has no stray locks or that some parts stay off in an awkward angle, let’s get back!

***
Back at the table

“Ok yeah, let me start, I know her the longest.” Whistle had begun to squirm uncomfortably on her seat.

“Are you sure? After all, it was I who spotted this bar.” remarked Dust Cloud who looked even as uncomfortable as Wind Whistle. Bright white, Springs and Eight Ball had been convinced, that it would be best if one of those two would do the talking.

“No, there’s no need, I’ll manage. I don’t think she would be comfortable with, uhm I mean more unpleasant as she probably already is, if…” Whistle flashed Dust a grin from which she hoped would look convincing.

Dust shrugged his shoulders and looked once again to the photo which loomed over the unreadable newspaper article.

“Are you still sure we should confront Lucky about this, Whistle?”

“Of course I’m sure!” Whistle snapped, only to look apologizing in Dusts direction, which he acknowledged with a curt nod. Any further conversation was cut short as Lucky Sevens arrival.

Lucky had stopped short a few paces before she had reached the table and looked around her friends, all of them appeared uncomfortable in their horse shoes.

Maybe they somehow know? As in response to her thought, Wind Whistle cleared her throat and flashed her an awkward smile.

“So, uhm, there’s something we would like to talk about, but…” Whistle seems to lose track on her thought and toyed uncertain with her glass “…you never really told us much about yourself and, uh…” Whistles gaze sets on Lucky, her eye full of confusion, uncertainty and distress.

Meanwhile Lucky had taken a half-step back. It took her a couple of seconds to get a hold on herself and to find her composure again.

“S-sure, shoot.” Seven had trouble to hold the practiced smile she just had developed at the restroom.

Whistle looked to Bright, Springs and the others, but none seemed willing to add anything to this awkward conversation, only Springs flashed her an short, encouraging smile and a little nod. The silence stretched on for a painful moment, dragging the conversation on for a near unbearable while.

Whistle nervously rubbed a fore hoof against another and was unable to look Seven in the eye. Hesitantly she picked up the article with the photo and showed it to Lucky.

“Well, how about…this?”

Wind Whistle, Dust Cloud, Bright White and the other two had expected that Luckys reaction would be quite bad, but they were surprised, Eight Ball seemed even stunned, by what came to pass before their very eyes. Lucky had, with an shocked, unarticulated gasp, staggered back, her pupils dilated and her irises shrunk to pinpricks. Her jaw moved up and down, but was unable to produce words and her breathing had become rapid and shallow. It took Lucky Seven obviously some strength to find her voice again, but she did, eventually. The words she uttered next were quite enough, that it seemed they could be swallowed by the ambient noise level of the pub at any moment.

“Oh no. Oh no oh no. No no no. No.” Luckys eyes darted from left to right in a frantic pace, trying to spot an easy exit.

I can’t have this conversation with them. No, I just won’t.

Luckys thoughts were so occupied to find a way out of this situation, that she only recognized that Wind Whistle had moved to her side until she had laid a hoof on her shoulder.

“Calm down, Lucky. It can’t be that bad.”

“N-not that bad? Not that bad?!” Lucky nearly screeched and brushed Whistles hoof off before locking her gaze with her own. “You are right, it isn’t just bad. It’s awful.”

Whistle just stood there, unable to come up with anything to say or to do. Before any of them both had the opportunity to defuse this situation, the door to the bar opened and new guests entered. Lucky just bolted. Before she even realized what was really happening she was through the door, in full gallop no less. The fresh arrived guest were just quick enough to evade the mad dash of the panicked mare.

Whistle just starred at the spot in which her friend Lucky Seven had stood mere seconds before. She blinked a few times until she was able to turn and pursue her.

“Well, that could’ve gone way better.” She muttered as she was hot on her friends heels.

In the alley, it had taken Lucky only a bit to unfurl her wings and launch her to the air and into the still cloud draped night sky. By now the adrenaline powered impulse for her abrupt flight had faded away and her sped had slowed down. She was content for now to just soar through the night and to look out for a place to rest and gather her thoughts. After some time, she didn’t know how much time, nor did she care, she decided to take the next cloud which looked somewhat comfortable. The village had a few sights, but herein lied the Problem. If she choose one of those, she would be spotted quickly by anypony who came looking for her and that was something she didn’t want for now.

What has gotten into me, to bolt just like that? Doesn’t matter! Anything is better than that conversation and its unpleasant end. I had better paid more attention to the signs; all was to well to be true. It’s would be best if I… In that particular moment, the alcohol in her system decided that adrenaline had overstayed its visit and kicked it out. Through Luckys lips slipped an enormous yawn, powered by the lack of adrenaline and the whispered prospects from alcohol of relaxation and sleep. *Yawn*…better stay here until the sky *yawn* is clean again. Hihi, clean again…*snort*

Whistle meanwhile had returned to the friends who stayed behind and, after she had tried without luck, to find Lucky. She had convinced them to wait for her and Lucky and that she would bring her back, even if she had to pull her the whole way by her ears.

Granted, cute ears, but…Huh, from where did that thought came?

***
Over the town, sometime later

Obviously that was easier said than done and Wind Whistle had until now wasted her time looking at Ponyville's sights for Lucky.

That was a buzz ‘til now. Wonder whe~ hold on, what’s that noise? Is that? Yep, somepony snores down the whole Everfree Forrest. It was more dumb luck than anything else, but Whistle had found another Pegasus, snoring away in the sky on a cloud. As she followed the snores she spotted the cloud and the strands of a dark blonde mane peeking over its edge.

Whoever that is on the cloud, maybe she had seen Lucky and knows where she flew off to. She came to an abrupt halt, as the lone occupant of the cloud revealed itself to be Lucky herself. Whistle couldn’t suppress a chuckle at the sight of Luckys head, which stuck with its right side in the cloud, adding some more content to the cloud with her drool.

If only the cause for this sight wouldn’t be this serious. Whistle shook her head and sighted. She began to prod Lucky in her rips with a hoof. This only succeeded in eliciting a grunt from Lucky and to turn on her other side. Whistle repeated her action, causing Lucky to only grunt in response this time.

After a few failed attempts of that sort later and Whistle had, to anyone who had the ability to fly by clearly visible, become quite irritated.

“Oh, come on!” she hissed through clenched teeth. Just you wait; even cute things can be a disadvantage. With an impish gleam in her eyes and her tongue sticking out of the corner of her mouth, Whistle sneaked slowly to Luckys prone form and brought her snout within a few inches of Sevens face, bent her neck down and…

With a squeak, resembling more a frightened foal than an grown Pegasus mare, Lucky jolted upright as a wet, warm and slimy thing darted into her right ear.

“Gah!” Lucky looked confused around. Her sleep addled mind registered only laughter. After some time, she hadn’t become the wiser, her mind started to wake up a bit more and she noticed Wind Whistle, who was rolling on the cloud with laughter right beside her.

Wait, Wind Whistle? Didn’t that mean something? After the meaning of Wind Whistles presence had reached her mind through the fog in her head, she was already pinned down on the cloud by Wind Whistle. Hrhr, I am that Lucky.

Try as she might, Lucky was unable to squirm free from Whistles hold. Even so Lucky was more agile, Wind Whistle was stronger and one of the faster fliers in the town weather-team. After some useless struggles Lucky gave up and submitted herself to her fate.

"Ok, ok, I’ll talk, but please step away from me first." Whistle shot her a suspicious look.

"Don't pull any tricks, understand? You know that I would catch you in ten seconds flat." she remarked.

If it would be possible for somepony to look even more defeated and to slump down even more as she already was, then Lucky clearly would win an award for her display in that kind of art.

"I know..." choked Lucky with a pitiful sounding voice, as the first tears made their way down her cheeks.

"Listen, Luxs, ya know that we don't know each other that long, but ya can believe me, when I'm telling ya, that we are friends. No matter what!" commented Whistle. The sudden pang of guilt clearly audible and she squirmed quite embarrassed on her spot. She tried to find Luckys eyes to show her an encouraging smile.

Lucky didn't answer, nor even so much as glance at Whistle through the corner of her eye. Time passed between both Pegasi and the only sound were the heavy breaths of her. After quite a while, Whistle was getting impatient and wanted to proof with a prod to her shoulder, that she didn't fallen asleep, when Lucky with heavy, anguished voice started to croak out.

"T-the o-others before y-you said the same, o-only to turn their b-back on m-me afterwards." she looked to Whistle, hurt, fear and a shimmer of hope in her eyes. "H-how can I'm b-be sure, t-that I can t-t-trust you?"

Drek, whatever this stuff on that photo is, it must weight her really down. So yeah, lamenting surely doesn't fix anything. To trust somepony is will always a leap of faith, but I'll be damned if I allow, whatever it is, to eat her alive. Thought Whistle but said nothing for a while. She wracked her brain for something encouraging to say, but it seemed that she had to hoof it from here on.

"Luxs, I don't know who were those so called friends, but I can assure ya, that I at least won't turn my back on you. And if somepony of the others so much as starts to talk smack about you after you explained yourself to us, I promise I will see to it myself that they only so much can do than whistle."

Lucky still seemed very unsure and she didn't shift one bit from her spot. In a normal situation Whistle would already hover around Lucky impatiently, telling her to pull it together, but the look of uncertainty, shame, abyssal vulnerability and pure fear of rejection was enough to swallow her surfacing temper. For somepony like Whistle it was quite hard to just sit around, but she had made an oath to herself to never leave somepony hanging, especially her friends and as fate had it, it so happened that Lucky was one of those friends. But that don't stopped herself to allow thoughts about questions related to the photo to enter her mind. It took her a number of seconds to realize that Lucky had said her name. She blinked rapidly and shook her head to clear her mind.

"W-Whistle?" Whistle fixed Lucky with a hopefully reassuring look.

"Yeah?"

"Promise?" asked Lucky abashed.

At least no more tears; I'm just not good with this mushy stuff. Wind Whistle mused to herself and rolled her eyes as she answered, sounding just a teeny-tiny bit offended.

"Of course! I left nopony hanging before, what made you think you would be the first?"

"O-ok, but why all of you, wouldn't it~" Lucky started, taking a deep, unsteady breath, but was cut off as Whistle shook her head violently and pointed into the general direction of the pub from which Lucky had bolted ingloriously.

"Won't happen, Luxs. The others should also hear this. The more know about that, whatever that is, the more of us are able to help."

"Ok, fine." sighted Lucky in defeat. Enthusiasm sounded different. Lucky spread her wing and just flopped from the cloud, angling her fall towards earth itself. Whistle however took a few steps back and ran-up to the edge of the cloud, using it as a jump pad to start her flight with a salto and a wide loop to rid her of the tension. After that she brought herself alongside Lucky and together they glided down. Lucky time and again stole glances to Whistle, who tried her best to radiate an Aura of confidence and self-assurance.

Just 'cause this town's small, doesn't mean, ya get to be second in command in one of its weather-divisions for nothing. Lucky for Lucky she's in my supervision. Unfortunately, for Whistle, the thing with the Aura didn't work out, because Lucky was still acting anxious and cautious, no matter how much she glanced Whistles way.

***
Back at the bar

Springs, Bright White and Dust Cloud were getting slowly impatient themselves, quite some time had passed, since Wind Whistle had started her search for Lucky Seven. Nopony of the remaining four had enough Bits on them to pay the bills for the fledging Pagasi. Springs was eager to pay, so she could be on the look out for Lucky and Whistle herself. Before she was able to the door opened and Whistle walked in with Lucky in tow.

“Finally, it was about~” begun Eight Ball, but he cut himself short, after he met Whistles gaze. He flinched and slumped back down onto his seat. He didn’t dared to move so much as a muscle until Whistle had took her seat and Lucky had found a somewhat comfortable seat right next to Whistle. After both were seated, he occupied himself laboriously with his drink, not particular keen on getting on Whistles bad side.

“Ok, listen up, guys! I convinced Lucky to tell us, what bothers her, so keep quiet ‘til she’s finished.” Whistle took a deep breath and let it escape through her nostrils and let her scrutinizing gaze wander above the rest of her group, her features made it very clear, that this was no point to argue about. All four of them nodded and after a short pause Whistle continued. “Nothing, not a beep, about any of what Lucky will tell us will leave this table and if I catch wind, that anypony out of this round…Just look at her.” She knew it was an idle threat, but she felt the need to drive her point about the seriousness home. The others nodded again.

The bar was quieter now than a few hours ago as the night had started out that much more relaxed. Nopony of the six said anything, five pairs of eyes were fixed on Lucky Seven. She had lowered her head and stared at her image in the table. After what seemed to be an eternity or after 7 minutes and 35 seconds, depending whom you asked, Lucky started to reach for the newspaper article, dragged it towards herself and turned it so, that the others were able to get an good look at its photo. With a forced calm and emotionless voice she started into her narrative.

“Yes, it’s true, that’s me on the photograph. The picture was taken somewhat five years ago, since then, it and the story behind it haunts me. You should know, that it all started nearly 12 years ago in Neigh Orleans. At that time I was just 15 and was short of getting my Cutie Mark; I knwoit was kinda late, but well, nothing you could do much about.”, even in her dark mood, Lucky was able to force out a little smile at that detail, “My father was a simple stallion, he had a simple life with a simple job, which paid the bills, but left room for nothing fancy. The most all of the free money we had, was spent by Mother, which I learned about rather late.
Fathers job was as a tailor of one of the local big shots in the fashion-business. The blue dress or what remains of it was made by him for me. Because I was the illegitimate child of him, may Celestia let his soul rest in peace,”, a shadow of sadness flashed over Seven masked features, but was gone the instant it had appeared, “and Mother, I had to bear her eccentrics only periodically, one of her antics is, believe it or not, to speak of herself in third person.
I wore the dress for the first time, when Mother dragged me along, as She visited one of the Casinos. We all know it is illegal for fillies of that age to enter one, but Mother was one of the Show-Acts and a passionate Gambler, but She was anything but good.”, Lucky laughed bitterly as she thought back, but soon she was as solemn as before. “One of many reasons, maybe even the biggest one, was that Mother tended to drink before her performances. In most cases it didn’t matter, because the tricks Mother used were nothing more but smoke and mirrors, spiced up with an inflated stage-persona. Normally those shoddy illusions were still enough for the lot who frequented those joints Mother performed in. But this time She had somehow gotten a Gig in said Casino, Celestia knows, I don’t wanna know how She got it, and I sneaked out of the backstage area into the actual gaming area and sooner or later I arrived at one of the tables where you could play the dice game craps.”, Luckys mask cracks for a moment and a derisive snort escapes her, before she goes on, “The Croupier thought, that I would add entertainment value to the table. He had noticed, that I had anypony who had asked me, that I belonged to that Unicorn showmare. Little did he know, that I was somehow able to ‘feel’ how the roll would go and I had gotten myself a nice amount of pocket money. After he had enough of my antics and lucky hooves, he chased me off, but not before he begrudgingly congratulated me to my Cutie Mark that had recently appeared.”, Luckys eyes wandert to her flank, rested there for a moment and returned to the tabletop. A melancholy smile had wormed its way onto her features but vanished as she continued.

“After I had returned to Mothers side, She had finished Her show more or less successful, I presented her with pride my Cutie Mark and the money I had made, but all I saw in her face there for a moment was jealousy. Me, Her own bastard child had the gall to be better at something than Her, how could I?” Hate flared up in Luckys eyes and she couldn’t contain her sudden rage, as she slammed her hoof hard on the table, knocking her glass over, which rolled over the edge and shattered, drawing looks and that dump applause if one destroyed a piece of table ware. The barkeeper gave her an angry glare, but returned quickly to other duties. Lucky flinched involuntarily at her outburst and slumped further down in her seat. She sat there in silence until Whistle and Springs encouraged her to go on.

“If I hadn’t seen it, I hadn’t known,that the jealousy was there, because She gave me one of her trained smiles and pretended that She was proud. She told me, I couldn’t keep the money and I should hoof it over. Because I was frightened I would be in trouble for sneaking out of the backstage area and even played a few round in a game of chance, I hoofed her the Bits. She deposited them in Her dumb, pointy, cliché ridden hat which was decorated with stars and crescent moons.”, to calm herself down, she had already begun to build up temper, Lucky took a few slow breaths and would’ve taken a sip of her drink, but it was still spilled on the hardwood floor of the bar. Eight Ball seemed to notice and pushed his drink her way. She acknowledged it with a nod and took a gulp..

“Since then Mother trained me all different kinds of gamble-games. Mostly card-, board- and dice-games, so I could win Bits for Her, abusing me and my special talent. Of course all of them were popular among gamblers at that time, which I discovered as I turned 16 and Mother took me to one of the Casinos, which allowed entry at that age at that time. The card- and board-games like Poker, Blackjack or Backgammon, never got my full interesst and I was only a bit above average at them, but the dice-games? I was something like a prodigy, knowing when to play safe or go all in. With time I became a quite respected gambler.

Mother was never really fond of me, which you all have guessed by now, and was envious of my success. Especially since Her own career as showmare seemed to flatline, so She decided it would be a good idea to dive headlong into Her passion, specifically in games and tournament I participated myself. Well, as mentioned, Mother wasn’t good and it come to noponys surprise, that She came out short. I would’ve quit, but Mother needed the Bits for her expansive lifestyle, so She used my father against me. I never understood what he saw in Her; Mother was arrogant, egocentric and self-righteous. She is lead by basic motions such like revenge or greed. There is no other way to explain otherwise what happened next.” Seven had preferred to have a Gin Tonic, but Eight Ball always ordered something with Vodka, something to help him clean his mind, as he insisted. Bright White stood up and walked up to the counter, to demand, that one of the waiters or the barkeep himself would clean up the broken glass already and to order new drinks. Lucky was glad to have this short break and to have a drink, even so she was no fan of Vodka. She took a few slow sips through the straw and continued, just after Bright had returned, sounding strained and unforgiving.

“A year had gone by now and I neared my 17th birthday. This time Mother had blown Her show completely, because She got drunk even before Her show started. It was at that time, that I had developed the quirk to tap my Cutie Mark a few times before I rolled the dice, becoming my very own Lucky charm, figuratively speaking. This should be proven to be fatal. Mother appeared completely hammered at the table I was seated at currently and gave me a look filled with contempt – I know that Mother saw in me the cause that Her career was in the gutter, but She had never shown it that open like in that moment. She kept quiet, played a few rouns, suddenly flashing me a venomous grin and calling me cheater. Mother had watched me time and again as I had participated and found something out, that I myself didn’t had realized: If I ‘felt’ that the roll would be successful I tapped my wing one or two times more against my Cute Mark. At that time, surveillance-cameras weren’t developed and the Croupier had to take Mothers word and that of a few eye-witnesses. After I was summoned before the owner and had explained myself he contemplated a bit, but then decided, that I would be expelled and banned from the Casino and he even .confiscated the Bits I already had won. As it is with such things, the rumor that I was nothing but a cheater spread quickly and my entrance in any other Casino in Neigh Orleans was permitted.” Luckys voice grew quiter as she neared the part of her story she feared the most.

“This became a huge problem, because my father had gotten very sick and we needed money more than ever before. Mother meanwhile was rather unfazed by fathers Illness, always saying it would pass by with time and kept tearing through the Bits we could have afford to save as I was still a gambler. She had it stuck in her had, that She could bolster her fame and career if she traveled far and wide with a movable stage across Equestria. To fullfil Her vision She was even able to stop drinking, well until her stage was finished. Soon enough the few reserves we had were wasted and because Mother proofed to be of no help in getting money, I had to find work, one that delivered the Bits we needed“

Seven swallowed hard, trying to force the lump down her throat that had begun to form. The part of her tale was hard enough, most ponies needn’t to endure such things, living a rather relaxed and easy life. The few times, she had told her story, the ponies she had called friends didn’t know how to handle such revelations and had given her the cold shoulder from then on, some even going so far as to encouraging to ‘make it like a tree’ like on of them had put it. Now she had to do it again.

I d-don’t want to do this. No matter what Whistle have said, they will abandon me. Eight Ball could be even worse, he has shown no reaction so far, some of the worst threat I gotten form that kind. I j-just have to finish this, w-when they start to realize it, I’ll be gone already. They will find me of course, but at least I haven’t to face them head on.

She looked among her group of still-friends and took in their various reactions so far. Eight Ball had still not shown any signs of movement. He still sat there like a rock, unblinking, waiting for Lucky to conclude her story. Dust Cloud had his eyes narroed, his mouth forming a thin line, but that was somewhat expected; he always had this face when he was listening, as far as Lucky knew him anyways, and Lucky could make out the small hints, that he wanted to tell her to continue. Springs had traded her smile for a frown, shocked about this so far, but at least not agitated or disgusted.

Just sad? That’s new. Maybe she would ust leave me be.

Bright White doesn’t met her gaze as she looked at her. She didn’t seemed to be hostile, just unsure how to react, as if she had expected it would be bad, but not to that extent. That left only Wind Whistle. Her the anger on her features obviously barley concealed through her self-control. But the strange thing for Lucky was, that her anger seemed to be directed towards nothing in particular and especially not her. Whistles sight was set on the wall of the bar room, clutching her drink with enough force that small cracks had appeared in her glass and liquor was trailing down its sides, forming small puddles on the table. Lucky looked away, down on her own hooves. The emotions that fought inside her mind were struggling for control, but in the end Lucky surrendered to them. She screwed her eyes shut as tears were forming in them, sniffled, finally heaved a shuddering breath before going on.

“If you thought that the part before would be bad, well, it goes downhill from here on. As I mentioned, I had to find a job, not to help Mother fund her silly, pathetic excuse of a career/-reboot, but to pay for fathers medicine. But what job can a young mare get, who has a special talent in gambling? What will pay the bills if you aren't trained or had any advanced education? This leaves only a few jobs, all of which are more or less despisable in their own ways. For me, who had begun to loathe herself, because I was unable to stand up against Mother , there was only one option." Luckys voice had cracked by now and try as she might there was nothing she could do now to stop her tears from freely running down her cheeks, but she continued, just to be done with it. ""This o-option was the house named 'Rising Moon'. I w-would...would...would need to become...become a...a...a w-whorse. I would sell my b-body for m-money, so I-I was a-able to pay for f-fathers t-treatment. I w-wasn't the first y-young mare who had ended a-at that d-doorstep and it had g-gathered quite t-the reputation , t-that it would be the r-ruin of m-many a poor m-mare, Celestia knows, I'm o-one. B-But among this reputation, i-it was at l-least kno-own as o-one of the higher p-places i-in that sort of business. " her composure had returned enough, that she was able to speak in a steady, albeit hoarse tone. "This got on for almost four years, then father died and I plunged myself into the hooves of every willing stallion, trying to somehow silence the pain fathers death had inflicted within me. Inwards hoping foalishly that one of those stallions would uncover my misery and take me away from all of this, but of course, that never happened.

Later, roundabout five years before today, I stile wore that dress, the same one father had made for me so many years ago. It's the only thing that I have left that reminds me of him. Mother meanwhile didn't seem to be bothered much or better she seemed to didn't notice it, never saw her grief or anything you would normally suspect, had only a short while later the next lover in Her arms, ripping him of money and love. She left me be at the very least, but one night, She stumbled into my chamber, drunk beyond recognizing me, with the sad fool in tow She was milking at that time. I lost it then and there and pounded their faces into the floor until my hooves were red with blood." Lucky escaped a sad sigh.

"But that too was without luck, like so many other things in my life, it's like my name is some kind of tragic joke. Mothers revenge was unexpected, but totally her game. Instead to report me to the police, She used a more subtle, much more embarrassing plan to show me how much power She had over me and to put me back into my place. Mother used a connection, a rather shabby, sleazy journalist who desperately needed an interesting article. She convinced him, I don't want to think how, that it would be a good idea to write a series about the nowadays-lives of some ex-gamblers and that he should start his series with an article about me. I don't even know how Mother was able to, but whatever She did, it paid off. The article was printed, not on the front page, but early enough into the newspaper, that I got enough glances from so ponies I knew well enough at that time. At that point, I hadn't seen the article yet, but when I did, I couldn't take it anymore and flew from Neigh Orleans." the feelings had returned full force and Lucky couldn't fight them anymore. She begun to cry openly, not caring what her soon-to-be-ex-friends might think about her display of weakness.

"A-an-nd I-I f-flew w-with reck-kless abandon. I-I s-still-l ha-have de-e-epts in 'Rising Mo-o-on'. I...I o-only got...g-got the Bits on me and the dress father ha-ad made m-me. It...it still-l-l sits in my...my closed at m-my place or better, w-what...what remains o-of it. I-I'm...I'm still on the run, for five years now. But...b-but a-anytime I try to start over, my p-past c-catches u-u-up with me-he-he." Lucky paused. She had only two things to say. One was a last remark regarding her mother, the other a plea, but she couldn't bring herself to say anything for now. Just sitting miserably in her seat, crying like the foal she was. She had run since five years and nothing had improved. A decision rose up in her mind. It was born in despair.

"I'm tired of running. So I will face my demons. I will take one of the early trains to Neigh Orleans, paying back my dept to 'Rising Moon' and then I'm somewhat free. I don't know if my savings will be enough, but I will find work there and I should be able to...Why can't I be as delusional as Mother, can you believe it? She goes by the name of the great and powerful Trixie by now." Seven felt silent again. There was only her plea left, but she was not able to have the strength to force it out. But she had to, had to make them promise that...The backlash of her own memories were to much once again. All the hurt, despair, pain and grief broke lose fresh tears and with anguished voice Lucky choked out, sobbing freely

" Oh Luna! Pl-please promise me-he-he o-one thing, on-only one. If...if a-any y-you'll ever
Have chi-children, pl-please...please don't l-let them m-make the same-e-e mis-mistakes I d-did." Lucky finally slumped down, avoiding the eyes of her now-ex-friends. There was nothing left to say or do, just lay here, in her own sorrow and wallow quietly until the barkeep would throw her out.

A few tense, long moments there was silence. All was quiet at the table, the only sound being Luckys muffeld sobs, as she wailed into the seat cushion. Eight Ball sat slack jawed, not daring even to blink. Dust Cloud faring not better, but he at least had the decency to look ashamed down. Bright Whites mind was blank, she had no idea how to respond. Surely there had to be a way, but she couldn't think about any. Springs, true to herself, had also begun to tear up, her flustered face covered under her hot magenta fur. Wind Whistle shook with rage and whatever had restrained an outburst until now had made a run for the hills to escape in time. With a sudden, unarticulated cry Whistle threw her glass across the room. Using her full strength the glass shattered on the wall, spraying patrons, floor and tables with droplets of liquor, glass and some dust from the wall. All eyes were now on the foaming Pegasus mare, who had risen involuntarily to the air and hovered about a good meter above the table, glaring at anypony who would look for a second to long in her direction, threatening them to give them the same treatment as her drink. Her chest heaved heavily in rapid succession as if she had run a marathon, displaying her vast amount of aggravation. It took the furious Pegasus mare nearly two whole minutes to calm herself down enough and finally take notice of the effect of her outburst.

Her friends had leapt onto their backrests, as soon as she had thrown her glass across the room, without hesitation and all of them were giving her as much space as possible. All of them? Nope, one was missing: Lucky Seven. Lucky had slid beneath the table and had curled up into a ball, muttered endlessly something what must be quite similar to “Pleasedonthurtme! Pleasedonthurtme! Pleasedonthurtme!”

That’s not what I wanted, stupid temper always getting the best of me. I didn’t wanted to scare her like that. Oh Lucky….Gah! I hate this; I rarely feel this powerless. Wind Whistle thought while she crashed down into her seat, eliciting a load creak in protest. She hesitated only shortly to act on the one idea that came to her mind.

Wind Whistle slipped beneath the table as well. After a bit of struggling she was able to untangle Luckys form enough to wrap her forelegs around her. On her part Lucky drew herself involuntarily tight into Whistles embrace.

“Shh, shh. I’m sorry, Luxs. I won’t hurt you. All’ll be ok.” Whistle whispered like a mantra into Luckys ears. It was almost no surprise, that there was suddenly a third body, Springs, who tried to comfort Lucky as well, but kept quiet, only draping a wing around her back.

She always is the most empathic in our group. Whistle thought, but was glad, that none of the others had decided to follow Springs example, especially the two stallions would have made this even more awkward.

A some time had gone by, Lucky had calmed down enough to climb back up to her seat. She looked embarrassed around the ponies near her, not daring to meet her eyes. After Whistle and Springs had crawled back up as well, the six ponies that there in silence, neither knowing what to say or do. The first to do anything was Bright White, who patted Luckys withers encouragingly, but before she was able to say anything, the barkeep showed up.

“Ok, you guys have caused quite enough ruckus at my bar, so leave your Bits at the table and get going. You’re banned from this bar!” He pointed a hoof towards the exit. Four ponies nodded and began to had out, a fifth dragged her way across the room towards the exit, head held low and ears dropping. To his chagrin his action caused Whistles wrath to have somepony she could direct her anger to. The agitated Pegasus held barely back until her five friends had exited, then launched herself into a hover only a few inches from his snout.

“Pfft! This place sucks anyway! Was about time we leave this shabby escuse of a bar of your anyway!” He flinched slightly as a bit of Whistles spittle coated his snout. Before he could even raise a hoof to wipe it away, Whistle roughly pushed him back, sending him stumbling into an empty seat. She flew to the entrance and opened the door. Flying through it she turned her head back and glared at the barkeep.

“Oh and by the way: Your drinks taste like wet Diamond Dogs!” She stuck her tongue out, just before the door closed with an satisfying ‘Tschack!’ behind her.

Five of six ponies had walked a good ways down the alley, which let to the pub, before the sixth joined them. They kept on walking in silence. Luckys mind raced.

Why didn’t they abandon me? I just told them how disgusting my life was. I don’t understand this! Maybe they… Her thoughts were interrupted as she bumped in something soft and warm. She blinked. Bright White had stopped and turned towards her. She laid a hoof on Luckys shoulder reassuringly.

“It’s ok, that’s what I wanted to say back there.” Lucky blinked again, but said nothing. Bright flashed her a warm smile before she turned. They returned their walk in silence again. Lucky still couldn’t really comprehend why she wasn’t chased off by now. Her thoughts started to drift again, but something suddenly caught her attention.

Th-that’s strange…They are escorting me? What? But why? This can’t be good. True to her observation, Whistle and Springs had stayed at her sides, Bright walked in front of them and Dust Cloud and Eight Ball were at the back. She was encircled. She tried not to think about something bad, but couldn’t stop herself to become tense.. Springs seemed to notice and nudged her with a wing.

“Really, its ok. You know that Bright never lies in matters that grim.” She nodded her head toward Bright, who just kept waling. “Yeah, ya remember what I said, right? We won’t judge you…” Whistle chimed in, but cut herself of by an loud cough from Dust Cloud.

“Lucky, I am deeply sorry, that we forced this on you. I, we, had no idea that it would be something that dire.” Dust offered his apology, which to Luckys surprise sounded genuine. Similar apologies rang out from the other group members. Lucky stopped and let her head swivel around to take in the expressions on the faces of her …friends.

“So you aren’t mad at me, for being…you know?” She asked, still puzzled that something like this was possible.

“Nope, silly! Why should we? You’re still you after all.” answered Springs, giving her a sympatric look. “So, still wanna be friends?” she asked expectantly.

“Certainly.” replied Lucky with a smile. Before Lucky was able to comprehend what happened next, she found herself in a group hug with Whistle, Springs and Bright, her cheeks growing red. Dust and Eight looked on, both stallions equally unsure how to act. After a while the hug broke apart, Lucky still blushing, the others seemed used to this display of affection somehow continued their walk only to giggle at Luckys flushed cheeks.

The group grew quiet again, but this time everypony seemed to be content to just enjoy the presence of the others. But soon the silence was broken by a unusual sound that night. It started quietly but grew louder. It took them some time to realize, that the sound came from Lucky. She was laughing. It wasn’t mirthful, but not bitter or cold either, just genuine.

“I think we broke her.” said Springs, who had stopped walking and pointed towards Lucky, who herself stood a ways back down the street, her own near trademark smile beginning to form already on her features. This drew only more laughter from Lucky, but Whistle, Eight and Dust seemed confused.

“Yep Springs, I believe you’re right.” commented Bright, the corners of her mouth rising. Lucky had begun to steady herself with a forehoof against a wall of a nearby building, the other clutching her side.

“You’re all just to awesome.” Lucky was able to wheeze out between to waves of laughter. If it would be possible, one had definitely been able to see how three light bulbs lit up and Whistle, Eight and Dust joined the laughter.

“I told you! We never would left you hanging.” Whistle was able to choke out under tears of joy.

“Thanks Guys, really, but still, I need to go back to Neigh Orleans, just to cut of some loose ends. But that won’t it that much easier. Please accept, that I have to do this.” Lucky said with a serious gaze after her laughter had subsided and died out. Her friends looked uncertain from one to another but ultimately all nodded.

“If ya think you have to do this ok, but take good care, ya hear.” said Bright, looking slightly embarrassed that her accent had found its way into her voice. Thereafter the group begun to walk home, waving good night, as they split up. Only Lucky and Whistle remained, having almost the same way to their homes. They reached Luckys apartment and after the had said their god nights to each other, Lucky approached her front door. Suddenly Lucky turned around and trotted up to Whistle, giving her a long heartfelt embrace. This caught Whistle off guard and she hesitated for a bit until she returned it.

“Thanks, Whistle.” mumbled Lucky, whose exhaustion and fatigue had finally caught up with her. After they let go of the embrace, they headed to their homes, wishing only to sleep for a few hours.

***
Early morning, next day

It’s chilly this morning and even Lucky Seven, the Pegasus mare who is one of the few passengers on this early train to Neigh Orleans, is glad, that she has her scarf with her. The wind is laden with the sign of the changing seasons, going from winter to spring. It is nearly ironic and a total cliché that the change in seasons brings such a huge change in life for her.

I’ll fix this quickly. Probably I can get a job somewhere and save up the necessary Bits. To bad that that means I won’t be able to see Wind Whistle, Springs, Dust Cloud and the rest of the gang for a while. As if on cue, the first audible train whistle catches her ears, which signals the arrival of the train.

In her past, Lucky had stood on the platform wearing a frown. Today she wears a smile on her lips, happy that she has friends now, true, true friends, who like her for what she is, not for what she was or did.

At the time the trained pulled into station with a loud screech of the breaks and came to a stop, steam-valves huffing and puffing, Lucky thinks, she hears a familiar sound, but it’s to soft to be heard above the sounds of the train.

“Hey, Luxs, guess who!” A voice exclaims and Lucky leaps into the air, struggling with her wing until they obey her and hold her up against gravity. She takes on a stable hover and turn her head, to find Wind Whistle, wearing a mischievous grin.

“W-what are you doing here?” asks Lucky

“Nothin much, heard a friend is going to Neigh Orleans today to finish off some businesses. I thought, why not join her, there’s nothing much else do to.” Whistle smirks. The look on her face is priceless.

“Don’t let her pull your leg, Lucky.” comes the voice of Springs of towards her other side. Slowly Lucky turns her head to find Springs standing beside her, ginning as well. “You don’t think ya can get rid of us that easy, huh?”

“B-but how…?” Lucky asks bewildered. “Don’t you have work to do?”

“Pfft, what the hay, it’s just paperwork. Paper is lazy…or something like that. Nothin that couldn’t wait a day.” Whistle said dismissively, her grin never faltering. “Why should ya be the only one to rough up Neigh Orleans anyways, Luxs.”

“Oh Whistle, you’re to awesome for your own good sometimes.” Lucky shakes her head and laughs quietly.

“Ha, you got it. I’m just that awesome!” cheers Whistle, which caused Springs and Lucky to roll her eyes but giggle nonetheless.

“All on board for Neigh Orleans!” interrupts the conductor their conversation. Lucky trots to the first open door and climbs in, shortly followed by Whistle and Springs. Anypony that remains on the platform promises that they could hear Whistle shout.

“Heh, Yeah! Buck Neigh Orleans, buck ‘Rising Moon’ and buck Trixie!”

THE END

Author's Note:

First I would like to thank anyone who spend the their time reading this story, despite having only OCs.
The use of Her, She and Mother in that form are on purpose to demonstrate that Lucky wants to distance herself from her mother as much as possible.

As I wrote in the description, this is my first fic, so I encourage you again to give feedback.

I would also like to apologize for Wind Whistles personality. Somehow she came mor out like Rainbow Dash than I expected abd if cizrse U apoligize to any Trixie-fan - if they make it this far - for using Trixie as the evil mother figure.

Once more, thanks for reading.

Comments ( 1 )

I know your doing a parody of New Orleans, because that's where I'm originally from.

Login or register to comment