• Published 10th Mar 2013
  • 1,853 Views, 142 Comments

New to Ponyville; A Young Colt's Adventure - AxtontheMechanist



Axton Coglink has just moved in from the far-off country of Austallia. Along with his family, he eventually groups up with a few young fillies who call themselves the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

  • ...
2
 142
 1,853

Treasure and Mysteries

Another day dawned upon the expanse of Equestria, the sun shining down upon its inhabitants. Axton awoke to the sounds of cooking, which seemed to be coming from downstairs in the kitchen. Looking around his room, he couldn't see Defensive anywhere then thought ‘What am I thinking? He’s probably downstairs. That colt likes his food WAY too much.’ He chuckled at the thought of Defensive looking innocent while his cheeks were bulging with pancakes.

Shaking his head of the thought, he began to get ready for another new day with the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Little did he know, they had another adventure in store for him, and it was going to be another eventful day.

Axton and Defensive met the other CMC at the schoolhouse, and lessons ensued as they walked into the schoolhouse for another day of lessons.

The class were seated by the time Cheerilee walked in, and lessons had just begun. The class was doing basic pony chemistry, a subject which Axton and Defensive were aces at. However, Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara weren't and thus thought it would be funny to bug Defensive about his heritage.

“Hey, freak. What’s the answer to number five?” Diamond Tiara hissed.

“He’s such a weirdo. I bet his parents didn’t-“ Silver Spoon was cut off by Defensive, who had flared his wings out and had turned to face the two bullies.

Defensive’s eyes had narrowed from the usual type to piercing slits, and he nearly bellowed at the two “You know NOTHING about me, or my parents!” and stormed out of the room with a flash of his wings.

Cheerilee glared at the two bullies before lecturing them “I hope you two are proud of yourselves for earning a week’s detention and a 10 page essay on cultural and racial equality.” She then looked at where Defensive had left through the door, a worried expression on her face.

“Miss, I’ll go talk to him. And you two better watch what you say; I heard that there’s a nice haystack just waiting for two bullies to get shoved into it. Next time you see him, you better apologize.” And with that, Axton walked out of the door after Defensive.

Defensive sat outside the schoolhouse, on the swings that sat in the playground. Tears ran down his face as he remembered his father’s words before he died; “My child, never be sad for who you are. Be proud of what you can become.” Throughout all his time, he had remembered how he had been an outcast. Manehatten, he was chased out for being a freak. Fillydelphia; he had lived there for a while, but ended up leaving as he felt out of place. Then his cave at the edge of the Everfree forest, where he had seen Axton and the rest of the CMC enter that cave. After saving them, he had come to live in Ponyville, where he had been accepted for the first time in his life. That day he would always remember.
Aware of someponys presence, he turned to see Axton looking at him.

Axton looked at Defensive with pity, before speaking “Don’t worry about those two, they’re idiots and there’s no need to listen to them. You have no reason to be sad about your heritage; I mean you’re bloody strong, aint’cha?” Defensive chuckled at this. He had beaten up an Ursa Minor. “Anyway, you’ve got badass looking wings; all they’ve got is their attitude and their insults. Trust me when I say that won’t get them far.” The two laughed at the small joke they had shared. “What I’m saying is, D, you shouldn’t let those two get you down, they aren’t worth your time. Now, let’s get back to class. Oh, and by the way, they’ll be in detention for about a week; you won’t have to worry about them as they’ll be writing an essay, too.” Defensive seemed to lighten up at the thought of the two bullies getting justice served to them, and began to follow Axton back inside the schoolhouse.

After School, the Cutie Mark Crusaders Clubhouse

“...And then we go from there. All clear?” Axton finished his talk about the plan for what they were doing for today. The five had geared up; shovels, pickaxes, magnifying glasses and copies of ‘A treasure hunter’s guide to exploring’.
They each nodded in agreement before Sweetie Belle burst out at the top of her lungs “CUTIE MARK CRUSADER TREASURE HUNTERS!!!” This sudden outburst of sound assaulted everyponys’ eardrums, and they swiftly set out for another adventure, in a cave not far from the one that housed the Ursa Minor. Defensive asked if they could explore it as he had seen some strange markings upon the wall, and the others had quickly agreed at the thoughts of treasure. However, Axton agreed due to a different reason. These marks that Defensive had mentioned reminded him of his dream in the machine adorned corridor, and the markings that were inscribed upon the wall.

Before long, the group had set off and had reached the mouth of the cave when a voice called out to them “Hey, wait up! I wanna go with you guys!”

Turning around, they saw a colt running up to them. He had a chocolate dark brown mane, and his coat was just a shade darker, looking almost black at first glance. His race was clearly a unicorn from the small horn protruding from his head. He had a few scuffs on his knees and the odd patch of dirt here and there, so you could tell he loved adventuring. He had a small cloak upon his back where a variety items hung by small hooks. There was a grapple hook on a rope, a weird spring activated device and a couple of climbing picks. There was also a small hold-all duffle bag attached to the cloak which most likely held food. The colt couldn't seem to stand still either, as if he was almost fueled by his sense for adventure.

Scootaloo decided to speak up first “Who are you, and why in the hay did you follow us?” She walked towards the colt angrily, before Defensive held her back. Being the voice of reason, Axton walked forward and introduced himself and the rest of the CMC “My name is Axton Coglink. These are my friends, Scootaloo, Defensive Flight, Sweetie Belle and my marefriend, Apple Bloom.” At the mention of Apple Bloom being Axton’s marefriend, Apple Bloom’s cheeks coloured profusely. Dark arched an eyebrow before dismissing the action and replying.

“My name is Darkmoon’s Crescent, but you can call me Dark.” He said, looking round the group “‘Course, I came here looking for adventure, and hence I kinda tailed you here.”

Defensive, unlike Scootaloo, was impressed by this initiative; after all, he had spent a large portion of his life tracking animals to see where they drank and ate so he could get a decent meal. “All right, that seems legitimate. So, coming with us?”

When Defensive asked this, Dark nodded his head vigorously, confusing Defensive; honestly, this kid had way too much energy in him. How did his parents even contain him?

Without anypony there disagreeing, the seven ponies set off into the cave in search of treasure.

Putting his goggles over his eyes, Axton scanned the cave, finding small runic markings leading up along the wall to the central tunnel. The strange markings were constantly shifting, and seemed to make a doorway out of light, only visible to those with the enhanced sight that his goggles possessed. Axton quickly pointed this out to the others “Guys, stop here. There’s some sort of runic doorway there” When the others looked suitably confused, Axton explained to them that he was the only one who could see it due to his enhanced goggle vision (I know that sounds cheesy, be quiet.) and that the reason they couldn’t see it was because their eyesight wasn't acute enough.

The others seemed to agree on this and decided to set up camp for the night, campfire, tents and all. When Axton was about to investigate the doorway with his on-hoof book of runes, he saw Apple Bloom walking up to me while everyone else was around the campfire, trading stories and the such.

“Hey there, Apple Bloom. Something on your mind?” Axton asked, looking up from his book with a small smile on his face.
“Yeah, ah guess. Ah’m worried about y’, Axton.” She looked into Axton’s eyes with a mixture of concern and affection; doubt clouded her mind, along with millions of other worries.

However, they soon disappeared as Axton nuzzled her affectionately and simply stated “Apple Bloom, there’s no need to worry. I mean honestly, you've seen what I can do. Anyway, I’ll always come back safe and sound, just to see your smile, ok?” He kissed her gently on the forehead, and moved back to the campfire. “Anyway, I’m pretty sure I’ll work out these runes in no time!”

The Next Morning, In the Mysterious Cave...

Axton woke up to the sound of birds chirping happily outside the cave, and wildlife scampering about outside. Scootaloo had fallen asleep aside the fire, with the slightly larger Defensive curled up beside her. Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom were already awake and had given out breakfast; boxed hay and cereals. After devouring their breakfasts, the small group turned to look at what Axton had said was the doorway.

Before he could get a word in edgeways, Scootaloo tried to charge the entrance of the tunnel, to find that a giant glowing hand had formed. This terrified Scootaloo, before she was abruptly shoved back by the humongous hand. After shoving her back, the hand faded into nothingness and promptly disappeared. After this sudden event had happened, a voice reverberated from the tunnel, the very same that Axton had heard in his dreams.

Only the machine heart may enter.’ With this statement, a blue beam shot from the tunnel and hit Axton, hitting the area of his heart, making him glow a gentle white glow. Everypony looked at him with a mixture of awe, curiosity and fear.
Looking at the tunnel, he hesitated before moving over and kissing Apple Bloom gently on the lips.

Axton looked back at the cave once more, and giving a final nod to the others, walked towards it, the floor lighting up runes on his very step.

Author's Note:

Left you on a cliff hanger! *insert trollestia here* Thanks ya'll for reading this chapter, and You'll most likely be seeing Dark in the future chapters. Many thanks to Defensive Flight, and Fluttershy Auditore for reading my chapters and pointing out the odd mistake or things that need fixing here and there.

On another note, if you wish to message me, or become a part of the story with a younger version of your OC, I will/maybe do a chapter or two with them in.

Gears are Grinding,
Axton