• Published 10th Mar 2013
  • 1,853 Views, 142 Comments

New to Ponyville; A Young Colt's Adventure - AxtontheMechanist



Axton Coglink has just moved in from the far-off country of Austallia. Along with his family, he eventually groups up with a few young fillies who call themselves the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

  • ...
2
 142
 1,853

Labyrinth

Axton had entered his dream world once more, and resided within the glowing mechanical maze that was his mind. As he wandered around the endless corridors, a door materialized to his right, seemingly out of nowhere. The door, unlike the rest of his mind, was not made out of the cybernetic metal that he was used to. This one was made of some sort of ancient carved stone, and was adorned with age old carving and runes. Upon the towering door (which was around five times the height of an average stallion). Not only this, there was a gigantic rusted iron door knocker in the middle of the door, about the size of Axton’s head. Using his magic, Axton knocked on the giant door, a thundering ‘dong’ echoing from the monstrous thing. Nearly as soon as he had knocked on the door, it swung upon making a grating sound upon the stone floor it was placed over.

As Axton walked inside, he was face with a T-shaped passage way, with one corridor forking left and the other corridor bending off to the right. Naturally, he decided to go right, and started to canter down said path. Before long, he had realized he was in some sort of Labyrinth, to his obvious dismay.

‘Well, horsefeathers’ Axton thought ‘Why am I given all the bloody puzzles?’ He snorted in frustration as he closed his eyes to compose himself. ‘Right, if I just keep walking, I’ll find the end of this Celestia-damned maze. Labyrinth. Whatever!’ He shook his head in anger as he kept walking.

The labyrinth seemed to stretch on for hours, Axton wandering the aimlessly. Eventually, he sank to the floor. ‘I’ll never be able to escape... why did that door even appear? What was its purpose?’ As he raised his head, he saw a small inscription upon the ancient wall. Getting up, he went closer to the wall, looking at the inscription closer, to find a phrase presented to him.

‘Even in the darkest of hours, ones resolve is never truly lost. All one needs is a spark of courage’. Axton read the inscription quietly, repeating it slowly to himself. Before long, he felt ready to proceed further into the maze, and got going.

The maze continued to stretch onward endlessly, but after what seem like a millennia, Axton reached a stone carved central chamber. It was domed, rather like a lot of the chambers in Axton’s mind. There was a fire burning brightly in the centre of the chamber, glowing with an unnatural blue light, rather like some sort of spirit or soul fire. Axton remember reading about those; it gave him the chills just to even think about that sort of thing.

Axton stepped forward into the room, to see some sort of robed figure sitting cross-legged beside the fire. He had never seen anything like this creature, not even in the ancient mythology book that he studied fervently to learn about the supposed Machine Gods. Of course, the book he had been reading (Ancient Mythological Creatures, by Fossil Fire) offered no knowledge upon such beings. He doubted that any book of that sort held any solid info on this creature either. From what Axton could gather, the creature seemed bipedal, with two legs and some weird appendages instead hooves.

The creature, noticing his presence, turned around and stood up, making Axton’s jaw drop; the creature was easily level in height with an Alicorn, easily towering over him. Axton back away a little, a combat spell at the ready, before the creature spoke.
“So, you’re the new Machine Heart? Christ, you’re only a kid, what was Abe thinking?” Axton noted that the creature spoke perfect Equish, which confused Axton; He could also tell the creature was a male, or at least he thought so.

“What in the hay are you?” Axton asked unsure of whether this creature meant ill intent or not. The creature chuckled, obviously used to being asked this. He settled down again by the fire, motioning for Axton to join him.

“I am a human, and you can call me Marcus, or as those who were friends with me in life would call me, Cogs.” He laughed a little at his own nickname, continuing “I was the previous Machine Heart. Naturally I am from another planet, which would explain why none of your books contain any info on me. Or the Machine Gods for that matter. Anyway, you were taken into this maze for two reasons; one, to test your resolve, a test which you have obviously passed. Two, you were brought here to make a choice upon the upcoming battle with the Mortem Domini, or better known as the ass of a death lord.” He laughs at his own little joke, which has only served to confuse Axton.

“So, what was that about choices? And why do I have to fight that- that demon?” Axton inquired, stuttering in his words when he thought of the terrifying demon. However, the idea of actually having a choice of battle pleased him.

The human nodded, gesturing for him to look at the fire before speaking “Alright, kid, the first choice is called the Overlord.” He throws some powder upon the fire, making images of a very powerful Alicorn standing over the dead body of Mortem Domini, or at least the burning husk that is left of it. The Alicorn now has glowing red eyes as a red aura constantly burns around him. “After defeating Mortem Domini, you the ability to absorb his magic and power, making you extremely deadly and all-powerful, even more so than Celestia and Luna themselves. Now, although I don’t recommend this option, it is your choice entirely.” He noticed Axton’s scared expression, and continued “Of course, there are still two more options. The first of the next two is called the Sacrifice” The pictures within the fire, showing ponies celebrating in the background of Ponyville “this means that you sacrifice a large portion of your life force, in return for destroying Mortem and of course saving Ponyville in the process. Now, you may or may not die in the process of doing this as it’s a fifty-fifty thing. Now, the last option is called Ascension.” The fire shifted again, showing a rather handsome looking Alicorn looking down upon Ponyville with a small smile “You will become one of the fabled Alicorns, defending and ruling Ponyville as Lord Coglink, for the rest of your life. Of course, each decision is your choice entirely, so I will not judge you based upon your actions. Choose wisely when the time comes.” And with that, the human disappeared as the room began to crumble, signalling Axton’s return to normal life.

Author's Note:

So, nearly at an end to this fanfic, huh? Many thanks to the mysterious Fluttershy Auditore for proof reading :D

Signing off for now,

Axton