• Published 10th Mar 2013
  • 1,852 Views, 142 Comments

New to Ponyville; A Young Colt's Adventure - AxtontheMechanist



Axton Coglink has just moved in from the far-off country of Austallia. Along with his family, he eventually groups up with a few young fillies who call themselves the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

  • ...
2
 142
 1,852

Hearts and Hooves Day

The schoolhouse was full of young ponies as another new school day had begun; colts and fillies alike filled the school desks that adorned the classroom floor. However, today was different from your average school day at the Ponyville Schoolhouse; today was Hearts and Hooves day, meaning everypony got paired up. Of course, Cheerilee let the young ponies choose who they wished to be with for the project that was soon to be voiced to the rest of the class. There was only one rule; if you were a colt, you had to pair up with a filly and vice versa.

Apple Bloom looked across at Axton with a small smile, her face painted a little pink by a growing blush. Axton simply nodded with a welcoming smile, and Axton walked over to her table, grabbing a spare chair and sliding his desk to make it double the length. He slid his chair so he sat near her, her mane brushing his body lightly. At this happenstance, Apple Bloom’s blush turned her face a scarlet crimson before she turned and looked happily at Axton, who returned her look with a small nod and smile.

Meanwhile, Scootaloo had looked around the room for a partner. She most definitely didn’t want to go with Snips or Snails, those two were irritating and un-cool. She continued to gaze around the room for a decent partner. Looking in the other direction, she found herself face to face with Defensive and as the two ponies’ muzzles connected, both went bright red and wide eyed. Breaking away from the light connection of each other’s faces, the two paired up, still blushing furiously.

On the opposite side of the room, Pipsqueak had slowly and quietly approached Sweetie Belle, who was looking enviously at the others who had gotten their partners and proceeded to tap her on the shoulder. Sweetie Belle looked at Pipsqueak once and then smiled warmly as a pink tinge spread across her cheeks. No words were needed to be said and the two smiled at each other before looking towards the board at the assignment.

On the other hoof, Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara grumbled due to being split up and then being paired up with Snips and Snails, who looked away dejectedly.

Cheerilee looked around the class, making sure everypony was in a pair. Her eyes rested on Apple Bloom and Axton, who were sitting closer to each other, and smiled; the two made a lovely couple. With everypony in a pair, she moved on to announce what the assignment was about “Listen up everypony, as its Hearts and Hooves day, a special assignment has been given to us by Mayor Mare herself. The task is to build something that represents something related to love, or the happiness it brings. The winners will receive a prize of a large sum of bits, and the honour shall go to them as their project will be displayed in the town hall!” As Cheerilee said this, the class murmured excitedly to each other, discussing different sorts of ideas that may be good for their projects “All right, you officially have today to make your projects and by tomorrow we will be showing them to Mayor Mare, who will judge the winner. Good luck my Little Ponies!”
The class set off to work, gathering supplies they needed for the upcoming presentation of their projects.
Apple Bloom set off dutifully with Axton at her side, as they made their way towards the carousel boutique, where they received a few decently sized diamonds that were needed. Next up, the pair went to go collect a medium sized rock, about the same size as Axton’s head. The metal they needed was already in the forge below Axton’s house, which Axton was free to use as he pleased.
The roles were this; Axton would craft the main item as he had a steady hand and magic to help him make the main project, while Apple Bloom would draw it, and think of main ideas, with small inputs from Axton.
As the duo collected their last item on the list that they had made in class, which was a positive effect rune book, they were ambushed by a quadruplet of ponies, who were later identified as Silver Spoon, Diamond Tiara, Snips and Snails. Before they could grab any of Axton and Apple Bloom’s materials, they were forced back by a powerful magical force.
Axton’s horn was glowing and his eyes were once more a steel grey sheen, power emanating from him like a fountain. Snips and Snails fled from Axton, shouting something about being sorry, but Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara weren’t giving up so easily. With a snarl, the two jumped towards Axton, before finding themselves levitated against their own will. Axton was concentrating very hard, and before the two bullies could shout their heads off, they were bound by shining metal coils before being slung into a haystack like a pair of rotten fruits.
Apple Bloom couldn’t take any more and burst into laughter, before gathering herself and kissing Axton on the lips once. The kiss was sweet upon Axton’s lips and he felt his heart skip a beat, and swiftly returned the kiss before the two set off to carry on with their task. They were definitely each other’s Special Somepony.

Before long, the two had entered Axton’s house and entered through the trapdoor which was cleverly place under the stairs, and proceeded to enter into the large under-forge which was a large dome chamber under the house. The forge had been made at the request of Axton’s father, Axel wrench, so that he may work on his job in private. The room consisted of a smelter, an anvil, a workbench and grinding stone, along with a crafting bench. To top it all off, the dome had a large see through gem in the top of the room, which illuminated the surface with a bright, luminous blue glow. Contrasting with the red-orange light of the furnace, it lit up the dome shaped room perfectly and beautifully, which never ceased to amaze Axton. Apple Bloom looked at the room in awe as she took in everything. Being with Axton in this room only made the presence of this great architecture more magical and wondrous.

Before long, the two had quickly drawn up a schematic/plan for their project piece. The design was going to be a lot to make and they quickly got to work, the sound of chisels chipping away at stone and saws sawing at wood filling the air as the two worked tirelessly to complete their project, taking a rest now and then to recuperate and then proceeding to work on the project for the following day.

Within the next few hours, the stone frame of their project was finished, along with the plinth that the project would stand upon; now for the hard part, the diamonds within and the runes that would be carved on the stone. Axton had to get the runes right, otherwise the effects of the rune would be devastating. Hovering up his book, he looked over the runes that were needed to be carved into the beautiful stonework.

The first rune was Balanced Joy, meaning the joy that one gets from friendship and love, the rune in the book showed Axton a straight line with a small diamond shape in it;




The next rune was the rune of Protection, showing that lovers protect each other, even in the dark time; the rune in the book showed it to be a strange design;





The next rune was the rune of Beginning, meaning that a relationship in terms of love can begin, but end just as easily. The rune shown in the book looked somewhat like this;



The second last rune was the rune of peace and happiness, which signified peace and happiness to be gained from a relationship and from being with ones partner. The rune that Axton etched onto the stonework looked like this;





And last but not least, the rune of love which signified the love that is exchanged within a relationship and the love gained from a joining together of loving harmony. The final rune in the book looked like this;






With all the runes etched into the stone, Axton placed the Diamond sphere that Apple Bloom had made into the centre piece, where it was held in place by the runes. Once the diamond had been placed, the runes glowed within the stone; a pink colour and the sphere within gained a pink tinge to it, representing the power of love. The tinge within the sphere floated around like a mist, flowing eternally.

The duo looked at their project with pride as the runes took their effect, which would last forever within a small area of effect. The effect that the runes had within an area of 10 meters would be that of peace, tranquility and happiness. However, that was not the only effect it had. Those ponies who were together in a relationship felt a strengthened bond of love between each other thus feeling more content in each other’s company.

As the day drew to a close, Apple Bloom knew she was ready for the presentation, especially if Axton was to be with her.

(xxxxxxxx)

High up within the Crystal Empire’s royal tower, Princess Mi Amore Cadenza (Or Cadence, as she preferred) sat in her quarters with her husband, Shining Armour.
The two were enjoying a late night supper when, all of a sudden, Cadence’s horn glowed, signifying a great artefact of Love had been created within Equestria; this hadn’t happened in over a hundred years!
Gathering herself, she turned to her husband, who raised his eyebrows, but did not question what his wife was doing as she stood up to go.
Looking once more at her husband, she told him her motives “Tomorrow we go to Ponyville, Shining, as another artefact has appeared. This of the utmost importance”.