• Published 10th Mar 2013
  • 1,852 Views, 142 Comments

New to Ponyville; A Young Colt's Adventure - AxtontheMechanist



Axton Coglink has just moved in from the far-off country of Austallia. Along with his family, he eventually groups up with a few young fillies who call themselves the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

  • ...
2
 142
 1,852

Catching up

Axton woke up to another beautiful day in Ponyville, the sun shining down upon the houses, streets and rooftops, wrapping them in its warm embrace. After he had gotten ready, once again making his unkempt mane a little better than it was, he strolled downstairs to find it barged open by a gray pegasus. The pegasus had a blonde mane and after she got up, placed a letter on the table.

She tilted her head to the side, before looking at Axton “Sorry about the entrance, I just don’t know what went wrong! Anyway, got your post here. Hey are you alright?” The pegasus looked worriedly at him, wondering why he wore a look of indecision on his face.

Axton looked at this gray pegasus, highly confused. Many thoughts were going through his head, such as ‘How does she focus her eyes if they’re all...derpy? It would explain the way she crashed through the door. Luckily nothing’s broken. Why is her tongue sticking out of the side of her mouth? That sheer amount of derp has me addled...’ when he finally noticed that the pegasus was talking to him, he snapped out of his reverie and replied.

“Sorry, heh, I kinda zone out sometimes. I didn't catch your name; by the way, what was it?” Axton asked, still trying to comprehend the fact that this mare’s eyes could go in completely different directions.

“Oh, my name is Derpy Hooves! You can call me Derpy, though. A- wait. Is that... a MUFFIN?” the mare’s eyes little up as she gazed longingly at the blueberry muffin on the breakfast table.

Axton gave a small chuckle, before laughing and replying “Yes, that is a muffin. As you delivered my mail, feel free to take it, if you wish.” Axton gave a small smile to Derpy, who rose up in the air in a giant gasp before zooming at full speed towards the muffin, devouring it and leaving not a crumb on the wrapper. She gave him a bone crushing hug before yelling “Bye, new awesome friend!” and flying out the door with her mail bag and hat.

Axton watched her go with a mixture of confusion and gladness on his mind, but quickly dismissed it as he began to read the letter.

Dear Axton,
I have finally reached Ponyville, so I and my father have moved into our new home! Feel free to visit as there is no doubt that we will have finished unpacking by the time this letter arrives. I also heard that there is a young performer’s talent show going on, and I wondered whether or not you wanted to perform a duet singing piece with me. Anyhow, I’ll leave that to be your decision as I already have the song. You don’t have to worry about learning the lyrics as we both know the song, and trust me when I say it’s a good one! I was also wondering whether or not you could show me around Ponyville, and maybe let me meet some of your friends, as we both know that I never really had many, apart from you.

From,
Iris Sapphire


Axton finished reading the letter, and rushed upstairs to get ready for another day, this time with an old friend by his side.

Twenty minutes later...

The CMC had assembled and were on their way to Iris’s house. Questions were constantly asked about Iris, and Axton had to answer a lot of them, each one a good question, but nonetheless annoying; couldn’t they just talk to her when the group got there?
“So” Scootaloo asked “What’s she like? She an egghead, or a cool pony? Pegasus, Earth Pony or Unicorn? C’mon tell me!” This earned a small disapproving look from Sweetie Belle, who chided Scootaloo.

“Now now, Scoots, stop bothering him, I’m sure you will get your answers in due time.” Sweetie gave a small swish of her mane, before the group carried on towards the house.

Reaching their destination, Axton gave a small knock on the door, which was answered by a middle aged stallion. The stallion had a beard, a fairly average hairstyle and wore a pair of studious looking glasses. As well as this, he wore a small waistcoat which had small pouches that Axton guessed to be a gem fragment, which was the Sapphire family business; gem crafting.

“Hey there, kids. So, is this a bob-a-job project? If so, I have to say that we already bought out the last project so we’re not that wealthy in the project funds.” Giving a small chuckle he shook his head at his little joke. However when he noticed Axton, he gave a small gasp “Ah, you’re Axel Wrench’s kid aren't you? I’ll go get Iris, if that’s the case, maybe you can accompany her on her first day of school. Oh, and by the way, my name is Gleaming Sapphire, glad to make your acquaintance.” He hoof bumped Axton and nodded towards the rest, before going to get his daughter.

The group saw Iris coming down the stairs and smiled when they saw her; ready to get going to school so they could spend the time after school planning for the upcoming talent show. However, Dark was captivated by this beauty that stood in front of him. Her coat was that of the purest arctic white and it gleamed in the light. Her small Daring-Do custom colour jacket fit in with the azure blue colour of her mane. Speaking of which, her mane consisted of two colors. As well as the azure blue, her mane had an icy blue streak going through it, which matched the colors of her tail. To him, Iris was the very picture of beauty.
Iris noticed that Dark was looking at her with hearts in his eyes, and blushed as she hid behind her mane. She completed walking down the final few steps, and smiled when she saw Axton.

“Long time no see! Good to see you again. It’s also good to see you have so many friends!” She hoof-bumped Axton, before turning to the rest of the group “As you most likely already know, my name is Iris Sapphire. What are you called?” She gave a small nod to the rest of the group indicating that it was their turn to speak.

“Mah name is Apple Bloom. Ah’m Axton’s fillyfriend” She blushed little to herself before regaining her composure “This is Scootaloo, Defensive and Sweetie Belle. Oh yeah, and this is-“Apple Bloom was cut off as Dark rushed up and shook her hoof vigorously.

“My name is Darkmoon’s Crescent, but you can call me Dark. And might I say, you look stunning” He gave a small grin, his eyes sparkling.

Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo and Apple Bloom giggled as Iris blushed a deep scarlet colour. As the now group of eight walked off to Ponyville schoolhouse, Iris thought ‘Well, he IS quite handsome...’

Author's Note:

Many thanks once again to Fluttershy Auditore for proof reading my chapter. Also, I hope you liked the little Derpy piece I put in, for all you Derpy/Ditzy fans out there.

Signing off for now,
Axton