• Published 10th Mar 2013
  • 1,853 Views, 142 Comments

New to Ponyville; A Young Colt's Adventure - AxtontheMechanist



Axton Coglink has just moved in from the far-off country of Austallia. Along with his family, he eventually groups up with a few young fillies who call themselves the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

  • ...
2
 142
 1,853

A Party In Bloom

The night of the party was fast approaching, and Axton was in his room, fretting on what to wear to Apple Bloom’s. Meanwhile, Defensive sat on Axton’s bed chatting idly to him.

Looking over at him, Defensive asked “So, remind me again why you’re fretting over every single detail?”

Looking over, Axton was pacing the room back and forth, his mane in a mess as he thought of what to wear to impress Apple Bloom. Looking back at Defensive, he replied hastily, still foraging throughout his wardrobe.

Because,” Axton stated “I need something to impress Apple- I mean, I need something good to wear to the party!”

“You could’ve told me you were trying to impress Apple Bloom” Defensive stated bluntly, smirking that his friend had a crush on someone.

“What? I didn’t say anything of the sort!” Axton exclaimed.

“Did so” Defensive quipped.

“Did not!”

“Did soooo~” jeered Defensive, finally bursting out laughing when Axton’s face burnt a deep crimson, giving away the truth at last. But Axton had a trick up his sleeve.

“Anyway, what about you and Scoots? I bet you’ve got the hots for her, am I right?” It was Axton’s turn to smirk now, as Defensive turned bright red, his wings snapping to his side suddenly, as sign that he was flustered.

Axton shook his head and with a mischievous grin, continued his search for something to wear to the party. For a moment, he paused to look at the clock which was mounted on the wall; he noticed the two ponies had around an hour to get ready.
After a few more moments of searching, Axton found what he was looking for. Below him lay one of his finest works ever. It was the ceremonial grey, but nonetheless shining steel chest plate that he had been working on for ages. The chest plate was a shining silver colour, only the finest metal work, with a golden trim upon it. On the center piece was a diamond encrusted within the metal work, which glimmered within the light, giving off a blue glint. The diamond was as big as one of Axton’s eyes, and was given to him after he helped fix the clock tower in the Oatsralia shopping center.

But that was not all. The diamond within the chest plate was enchanted magically, courtesy of Iris Sapphire and her father in return for a batch of mechanical parts, necessary to help operate a few of the machines at their store. The properties of this diamond were this; the wielder of the diamond that was within the chest plate would have what’s known as a Pure-Coat. This meant that any dirt or grime that came within contact of the pony’s coat would immediately fall off; making sure that everything on the pony’s body was clean. The diamond also made sure that the wearer smelt nice, emitting a clean and good smelling aroma. It was the perfect item to wear that would impress Apple Bloom.

Defensive, however, decided to wear something that he kept very close to him. Adjusting his wings, he attached his golden wing braces so that his wings shined with a golden and blue sheen in the light, reflecting what looked like a golden aura around the room.

As the two young colts were set, they set off towards Sweet Apple Acres, hopes high. Defensive flew above Axton, with his leathery wings spread out catching the wind and propelling him swiftly towards his destination. On the other hoof, Axton galloped towards his destination as his chest plate’s magic cleaned away his sweat and the dirt and dust that came onto him.
The two young colts’ hopes were high as they headed towards the party that night.

Meanwhile, at Sweet Apple Acres...

Apple Bloom hadn’t bothered with too much of a fancy get-up for the party, but that still meant that she wanted to impress Axton. Although she only hoped that he thought the same about her.
Upon her head, in place of her usual red bow, was something bedazzling in comparison. Given to her by Granny Smith a few years back, the velvet red bow she now wore upon her head had a large ruby securing it, and her hair was perfectly styled, courtesy of Applejack. Her eyelashes had been plucked and her hair groomed, thanks to Sweetie Belle and the help of Rarity.

A little while later, Scootaloo came into her room wearing a white satin short skirt, which reflected the light off as the golden trim that it had tiny, non encrusted jewels here and there. Scootaloo looked subconsciously at herself then back to Apple Bloom.

“Uh, Apple Bloom, will this be enough to impress Defen- I mean, uh, to wear to the party?” Scootaloo asked nervously, shifting from hoof to hoof.

“Yeah, ya’ll be fine Scoots, ah’m just hoping Ax- uh, ah mean... ah hope mah bow’s goin’ to be good enough for the other guests at the party!” Apple Bloom said the last part hurriedly, with a small pink tinge on her cheeks.
Little did they know, Apple Bloom’s elder sister was standing at the doorway, and caught both of the two off-guards before stating “Ah’m sure you’ll be all prim an’ proper for yer coltfriends. Well, they should be impressed at the effort you’ve made, at least”

Surprised, and hurriedly trying to cover up the fact that they both had crushes they both quickly exclaimed in unison “Wha-? No, we don’t have coltfriends! I mean, we’d like to but-“By this time, both of the young fillies’ faces were a deep crimson and the two were shifting on the wooden floor, avoiding eye contact with Applejack.

At this, Applejack knew she was right, and that Apple Bloom may actually have a special somepony. She just hoped that his thoughts were the same about Apple Bloom. Brushing the thought aside, she decided to get out of her room. Scootaloo after a final look, followed shortly.

20 minutes later, The Party at Sweet Apple Acres

The night had reigned in upon Equestria and the surrounding lands as the princesses had lowered the sun and raised the moon, and the party was already underway at the farm house. The Apple family had provided everything for the party guests; outside the barn was a large bonfire with small benches placed around it at a safe distance, providing more than enough warmth. Other members of the apple family had come from all across Equestria to sell their wares at the party, which were mainly food based.

Axton entered the barn, along with Defensive, who decided it was best to eat first, and ask questions later. Watching Defensive run off towards the food with his saddle-money that he had got from Axton’s family, Axton decided to take a look around the place, and soon found that he had bumped into Apple Bloom’s elder sister Applejack, who looked suitably impressed by his attire.

“Howdy there, pardner and welcome to Sweet Apple- ah! Yer Apple Bloom’s friend, aint’cha?” Applejack questioned looking Axton up and down, glad that he had made an effort to impress her little sister. When she took a look at the center piece of Axton’s chest plate, her eyes widened significantly at the diamond that lay encrusted within, and thought ‘Cripes, a diamond like that would make somepony like Rarity faint!’

Axton looked at Applejack and chuckled a little before replying “Yes, I’m Apple Bloom’s friend, Axton. Pleasure to meet you. I don’t suppose you have any inkling of Apple Bloom’s whereabouts do you?” Axton replied formally to Applejack, wanting to make a good impression. After all, his father always said manners were free.

Applejack smiled at the young colts’ manners, before replying in a hushed tone “It’s good ya have manners, pardner. Don’t know where mah lil sis is though, but if yer havin’ thoughts about her, yes them ones, just treat her nicely or ah’ll have Big Mac on yer tail faster than you can say ‘horseapples’, do ah make mahself clear?”

Axton gulped before replying carefully, his words true “Applejack, I wouldn’t hurt your little sister if my life depended on it.” Looking round, he saw Apple Bloom, who was being cornered by...

...

Those two!

Excusing himself from Applejack’s attention, he saw that it was too late, as Apple Bloom ran out of the back entrance of the barn sobbing, with Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon standing there with triumphant grins on their malicious faces.
That was the final straw for Axton.
The room suddenly seemed to go a deathly silent as Axton was coated head to foot in steel armour, red orbs where the eyes were meant to be; he had transformed into a giant metal pony that was at least five times his size. Everypony backed away slowly as Axton made his way towards the two bullies, who were too late to notice the furious behemoth that was stomping towards them, flames licking off of its hooves. Finally, Axton opened his temporarily mechanic mouth and bellowed, his voice rocking the very foundations of the barn, reverberating deeply, making the two shiver.

“HOW DARE YOU PICK ON APPLE BLOOM?!” His voice was louder than Luna’s Canterlot voice, tenfold “NOW IF YOU HAVE ANY RESPECT FOR YOURSELVES, I SUGGEST YOU LEAVE, IMMEDIATELY! AND IF YOU DO NOT APOLOGIZE NEXT TIME YOU SEE APPLE BLOOM, I SWEAR BY THE PITS OF TARTARUS THAT YOU WILL KNOW PAIN LIKE NEVER BEFORE!”

The two were terrified by this giant metal pony being, and Diamond Tiara promptly fainted; Silver Spoon placed Diamond Tiara on her back before scarpering from the vicinity of Sweet Apple Acres; not looking back once due to the fear that the demonic metal giant was on their tails.

The metal fell away from Axton’s body before disappearing into nothingness, and Axton was reverted to his normal form, with a large crowd of ponies staring at him in awe and the justice he had dealt in front of everyone to the two bullies.
One pony came up, who Axton would later find out to be Featherweight. The young colt bravely announced “Good riddance of those bullies, mate!” before nodding and moving off into the crowd that dispersed as the party went back to normal.

Applejack looked onwards from the sidelines in awe as Axton walked out in search of Apple Bloom. He was only mildly tired at the feat of magic that he had performed, and Applejack thought to herself before shuddering ‘Not even Twilight could know how to do something like that. Apple Bloom’s a lucky filly to have someone as strong as that protecting her. Wouldn’ wanna tussle with him when he’s in a bad mood.

Outside the barn party of Sweet Apple Acres

Apple Bloom was sitting outside of the barn, looking up at the moon which was full and bright. She looked up at the moon and thought ‘What if those two were right? What if Axton doesn’t like me? Does me not having my cutie mark not make myself good enough for someone like him? Am I just a worthless filly...?’

Apple Bloom looked down at the ground and silently sobbed. Little did she know, Axton had entered from the same entrance that Apple Bloom had came from and before sitting down, he removed his chest plate and whispered softly so as to get Apple Bloom’s attention “Hey, Apple Bloom.” As Apple Bloom looked over at Axton, she smiled softly before nodding, telling Axton to take a seat on the floor outside the barn.

After Apple Bloom had calmed down, she asked Axton “Axton, why did you help me out when you first came here?” As Apple Bloom said this, she looked up at the moon, her eyes sparkling.

Caught off-guard Axton was stunned into silence before looking at Apple Bloom once and smiling before replying to her question “It’s because it was the right thing to do. I’ve always had this knack for being the unfortunate good guy in most situations. But, when I saw you three it reminded me of the first time I got bullied, back in Oatsralia. These two thugs were behind me and decided I was easy pickings. They pushed me over and beat me senseless and I couldn’t fight back; I couldn't move for five days afterwards and was put in extensive care, meaning I was hospitalized for a whole week before they let me out. I still have a scar from that time; they cut me up pretty bad, those bullies.” As he said this he used his magic to lift his unruly mane a little to reveal a large, ugly red scar that ran half the length of his mane. “You know why I hate bullies? Because they do things like this. When I saw you three getting bullied, I felt scared for you. I felt concerned for the other two as well, but you mainly. I didn't want my new friends to be picked on by simpletons like those. I had to be brave.” His feelings were in turmoil now; he felt strongly for Apple Bloom, and now he had confessed that he stood up to the bullies for her sake, he was at a loss for words.

Apple Bloom looked content at the answer and simply looked out at the moon. A few minutes passed, and Apple Bloom went to lay her head upon Axton's shoulder, finally feeling content and with a mixture of emotions that she could not comprehend. Axton, also turning his head, but with terrible timing; the duo ended up bumping into each other face to face, lips locked in a silent kiss. After what seemed like hours, the two broke away from the kiss, and settled more into a hug.

Apple Bloom looked into Axton’s eyes and saw what the emotion was in there, reflecting exactly how she felt; love. Axton smiled before giving Apple Bloom a small kiss on the forehead, and eventually stood up. He cleared his throat and decided it was time to go back. Apple Bloom nodded and stuck close to Axton, loving him all the more for sticking by her in her time of need.

Princess Luna looked down upon the couple from her vision that she used to survey Equestria. She used the moon as a personal telescope to look upon the two and smiled to herself before thinking ‘Young Love’.

Author's Note:

Again, many thanks to Fluttershy Auditore for proof reading and giving the odd input here and there :D

I would like to know anypony's opinion upon the matter of Apple Bloom and Axton's relationship, also.

That'll do for now.

Gears Are Grinding,
AxtontheMechanist