• Published 10th Mar 2013
  • 1,853 Views, 142 Comments

New to Ponyville; A Young Colt's Adventure - AxtontheMechanist



Axton Coglink has just moved in from the far-off country of Austallia. Along with his family, he eventually groups up with a few young fillies who call themselves the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

  • ...
2
 142
 1,853

Life of the Party

Axton awoke to the sound of heart monitors and medical equipment as he lay in a ward in the Ponyville hospital. After his blurry eyesight cleared, he looked around to find that he was the only one in the ward and the place was eerily quiet. That was, until Nurse Redheart burst into the room, followed by Axton’s family and friends. For several minutes, everypony spoke at once, creating a cacophonous noise, until Nurse Redheart noisily cleared her throat and shouted “QUIET!” after which everyone fell silent in the room.

“Alright, I’ll let you see him in a minute. Give the patient some room, now!” Nurse Redheart commanded everyone else, ushering them out of the room before turning to Axton.

“Ok, Axton. How do you feel? Your vitals are normal, I just want to double-check that you’re ok.” She kept constantly running through a clipboard that she marked with a pencil, muttering something about ‘kids these days’.

“I feel fine, Nurse. Better than I have in a long time actually” He gave a lopsided smile at Nurse Redheart who simply gave him a small smile to him and walked up to his bed, unplugging the heart monitors and switching of the apparatus that surrounded him, allowing him to stand up.

“It’s actually quite surprising that you recovered from that... ordeal in a couple of weeks. Any normal colt your age would be out for at least a month.” She looked at Axton, her face puzzled as she tried working out how somepony would recover so quickly. In the end, she dismissed it, walking to the door and allowing Axton to wait in the visitors lobby.

Before he could react, he was swamped with ponies hugging him in a humongous group hug, with him in the middle of the mass of fur and happiness. Before long he was gasping for air as they all let him go. From among the small crowd, he could spot his mother, father and brother along with Defensive and the rest of the CMC. His eyes welled up as he realised how many people had come here, worried about him. His family, after checking up on him to make sure he was okay, went back to their house after making the CMC promise to make sure he didn’t get in too many scrapes with danger. As they left, Apple Bloom ran up to him, literally showering him with kisses as she hugged him tightly, small tears trickling down her face.

“Ah missed you, Axton. Don’t you ever, EVER do that again.” She looked at him, a mixture of happiness and concern in her eyes, making him feel guilty on the inside; if he hadn’t regained control, well.... he didn’t want to think about it.

“Don’t worry, Bloom. I promise” He replied gently, wiping away her tears and making her smile by placing a small kiss on her forehead before continuing “I’ll tell you all about it later. So, what are we gonna do now?” Axton looked around at the CMC.

“Well Pinkie said she was holding a ‘Hooray Axton Got Better’ party, along with a ‘Welcome To PonyVille’ party at the same time in about two hours. It’s a casual one, so no need for any of that fancy evening wear stuff Iris told me you tend to wear at parties.” Dark grinned at his little quip, looking at Iris, who simply had a small smile on her face as she rolled her eyes.

“So, who’s the new pony then?” Axton asked, Apple Bloom at his side. He looked at the others who simply shrugged, not offering any input. “Well, I guess we’ll find out at the party. It’s best if we split up to get ready, right?”

The others nodded, agreeing before they went their separate ways to prepare for the most interesting party of their lives.

A couple of hours later, at the party...

As Axton entered the town hall, which was usually the main venue for large parties, he was greeted by a sea of faces that smiled at him, congratulating him for getting better so quickly. Axton made his way over to the CMC clique, smiling at him as they chatted amiably. Occasionally, a good song would come on and they would go dance around on the dance floor, but mainly they just messed about, playing games such as ‘pin the tail on the pony’ and ‘twister’. But the main game they all played was on what was known as the ‘Dance Dance Revolution’ machine, or the DDR for short.

The group chose to do a small tournament of versus matches, beginning with Defensive and Scootaloo (Sweetie Belle chose not to dance on the DDR machine). The song they chose was called J-E-N-O-V-A, the complete version. It was a very fast paced song, and as it began everypony cheered as the two competitors seemed to match the song step for step. That was, until Defensive fell flat on his face near the end of the song, casting him out of the round as loser. Everypony cheered as Scootaloo bowed dramatically for the crowd, smirking at Defensive before helping him up and giving him a small peck on the cheek. Defensive, even though being out of the tourney on the first round, smiled as he walked into the crowd.

The next round was Iris versus Dark, and everyone laughed jovially as Dark tripped over head over heels, landing on his flank by the dance pad. He gave an embarrassed chuckle before picking himself up and going to his dance area. Iris was the complete opposite however, and strutted along towards her dance pad, smiling confidently; nopony had ever beaten her at DDR. Well apart from Axton, but he was basically a pro at games.

The chosen song, called Pony Rock Anthem, began and the two started off on their predestined dance routine. Iris danced nearly flawlessly to the song, constantly getting enthusiastic ‘Good!’ and ‘Perfect!’ remarks from the machine, making her all the more confident. Dark, even though he danced clumsily, still managed to maintain an even score with her, smiling at how he was even with his fillyfriend even after having only played the game once before. Halfway into the song, he started pulling off combos which made the crowd go wild as his score boosted far beyond that of Iris’s own. She couldn’t pull off as nearly many combos as him before the song ended, making her lose and go out of the tourney. Dark, however, cheered her up by giving her a kiss on the lips, making her blush a bright red. The crowd, seeing this, made catcalls and wolf whistles before Iris walked off stage.

The semi-final was Apple Bloom versus Axton, the song being a song called Cotton Eye Joe. The song began with the playing of a fiddle, which made the neon arrows appear on the screen once more. The two danced flawlessly upon their respective dance pads, earning large cheers from the crowd. However, Apple Bloom was completely outclassed by Axton when he started pulling off some crazy combos halfway through the song, making everypony in the crowd drop their jaws in amazement as Axton twisted and danced on his dance pad, earning double points for each combo made. The song ended with Apple Bloom at 5000 points and Axton at 13,000 points, making Axton the winner. Before Apple Bloom walked off, Axton whispered something in her ear, making a light pink blush appear on her cheeks before she walked off the stage.

Scootaloo, wanting to see Defensive, decided to quit the tourney, making the finals Dark versus Axton. As said ponies walked onto the DDR machine, Dark gave Axton a small grin before mouthing ‘good luck’. Axton simply laughed, saying he wouldn’t need it, before stepping onto his respective dance pad and choosing the song, which was called Pray. As the song began, the two got off to a good start, hitting all the right commands into their dance pads. Before long, they were both pulling off amazing combos, making the crowd gasp as they watched the furious battle of dance between the two. The song ended and the two tired out colts looked up to see their score; it was a draw at 35,000 points!

They looked across at each other, grinning as the crowd gasped in amazement. They hoof bumped each other and walking off into the crowd. Before Axton could reach Apple Bloom, he was stopped by another pony. The Pegasus colts coat was a rusty orange-brown colour and his mane and tail were the colours of blonde and brown, complimenting his coat. He wore a white vest, green flight goggles and had a black bracelet on. He nodded at Axton, his Vinyl-esque mane style bobbing as he did so. He spoke confidently “Hey. You did well on the DDR machine back there, so you seem cool. The name’s Bunker Blitz, Vinyl Scratch’s biggest fan. Oh, and the new pony in town. Wanna hang out some time?” Blitz gave Axton a small smirk, which radiated with brashness.

Axton replied, ever the one to get new friends (or at least since he had moved to Ponyville) with a small smile “Alright, you seem Ok. The name’s Axton. I have to go see my fillyfriend, but we’ll chat some other time alright?” Axton asked the question with a hint of curiosity in his voice.

“Sure thing. See you later, bro.” Bunker Blitz said before walking off into the crowded room, his mane bobbing up and down as he walked off.

As Axton walked towards Apple Bloom, he breathed in relief; it was good to be back.

Author's Note:

Many thanks to Fluttershy Auditore for Proof reading this chapter :D

Also, yes, another OC has been introduced at request. Tune in next chapter for more awesomeness :3

Signing out for now,

Axton