• Published 3rd Mar 2013
  • 2,862 Views, 278 Comments

The Original Character Immigration Offices - TypewriterError



Welcome to the O.C.I.O: where your OC can apply to enter Equestria and by your luck make it through the stringent immigration process! ...These are the ones who weren't so lucky.

  • ...
7
 278
 2,862

Dirt Nap

Dirt Nap
By
Wildebeest

I quietly strolled into the OICIO Office to find it relatively empty. Empty, that is, except for the baby blue Pegasus being towed out the door by two muscular stallions with milky white coats. On his face, I detected a unique combination of despair and resignation, the kind of face that a fly makes just before it gets swatted. I tried to put that face out of my mind as I directly approached the receptionist. Her mane was done up in a hastily applied knot bun, and the accumulating bags under her eyes suggested that she had definitely seen better days.

"I have an appointment for 8:30,” I said flatly.

“Name?” she said tersely, not even bothering to look up at me.

“Dirt Nap.”

“You’re right on time. Have a seat and Ms. Sparkle will be with you shortly.”

I nodded and complied with her request. I could tell that she wasn’t in the mood to have her time wasted. And neither was Ms. Sparkle, as she called my name less than a minute after I took my seat. I thought I would be able to devote a little time to quiet reflection, but alas, no such luck.

“Dirt Nap?” called a mildly nasally alto from down the hall. I craned my head to the right to spy the head of a lavender- coated unicorn peeking out from behind a glass- paned door. ‘TWILIGHT SPARKLE’ adorned the front of the door, in bold, arial- font letters. I locked my gaze with hers, quietly letting her know that she had my attention.

“You’re next,” she said, withdrawing her head from the crack. “Come in and have a seat.”

I nodded and briskly trotted on down, slipping through the door and immediately taking a seat at the desk. Upon taking my seat, I couldn’t help but notice how meticulously organized her office was. I couldn’t find a single scrap of paper that wasn’t confined to a neatened pile, nor could I find a single picture frame on her wall that was even one degree crooked. Three ballpoint pens were lain on the table, perfectly parallel to one another and comfortably within her hoof’s reach. On the opposite side was an azure- colored porcelain teacup with a generous amount of steam rising from it.

“Chamomile,” I said as a whiff of the steam passed my nostrils. “Feeling a bit unwell, Ms. Sparkle?”

“What?...oh, no,” she said, punctuating her statement with a modest, polite chuckle. “I just like the flavor.”

“I prefer ginger, myself.”

“Mm-hmm,” she mumbled, hastily laying my filled-out form out on the desk in front of her. “Now… Mr. Nap, exactly why do you want to come to Equestria?”

“A number of reasons,” I replied. “For one, I think I could prove to be quite a valuable asset to your reigning monarch, Miss Celestia.”

Twilight looked up from her desk, her eyes narrowing with suspicion. “That’s quite a bold claim, Mr. Nap.” I suppose it didn’t help that I was a mere earth pony.

“I’m aware,” I said. “But I firmly believe that your princess could use someone with my… skill set.”

“Actually, that’s something I wanted to ask you about,” said Twilight. “It says here that you’re a…” She briefly broke eye contact to take a cursory glance at my form. “…hit-stallion?”

“Indeed,” I said, standing up and showing her the red crosshair emblazoned on my flank. “I’m an assassin for hire.”

Twilight just gave me a blank, empty stare. After a few seconds of stony silence, it seemed quite evident that she wanted me to elaborate.

Of course, I thought. Equestria’s an idyllic world run by a benevolent monarchy. There’s probably no such thing as organized crime there.

“Well, a hit-stallion’s job is to help his client… how should I put this… take care of undesirables. If you want somepony out of the picture, I’m the one to turn to.”

The mare’s eyebrows jumped, and she stifled a gasp. “Out of the picture? You mean-”

“Dead, yes. I’m a hired killer.” I figured there was no point in trying to sugarcoat it.

Twilight gave me a pointed look. “And why exactly would Princess Celestia need someone like you?”

“Well, I understand that your people have been suffering from an infestation of changelings lately. Bug-eyed little parasites that deceive you into feeding them, only to stab you in the back a moment later.”

Twilight shook her head. “A group of them attacked the royal wedding last year, but we haven’t heard from them since.”

“How can you be so sure?” I asked. “There could be hundreds walking among you right now. Slinking around in the shadows, patiently waiting for the right moment to strike.”

I leaned over the table until I was close enough to feel her warm breath caressing my face. “If you let me in,” I said in a hushed tone, “I will put every single one of them in pine boxes before the month is over. That’s a promise.”

As Twilight returned my piercing gaze, I could see her brow beginning to moisten. I also detected a barely audible gulp coming from the depths of her throat.

“Am I making you uncomfortable, Ms. Sparkle?” I asked.

“A l-little,” she admitted. A moment later, I heard the thump of a stamp colliding with my form. I scooped it up into my hooves, only to find, much to my chagrin, a bright red ‘DENIED’ mark at the bottom.

“I’m sorry, Mr. Nap,” she said, regaining her professional demeanor. “But murder just isn’t a valuable skill here in Equestria. We prefer to use… non-lethal force to solve our problems. To be frank, it doesn’t seem like there would be any place for you here.”

I nodded solemnly. “Understood,” I said, laying my business card on the table in front of her. “But just so you know, the offer will always be open,” I added, causing the mare to shudder.

Without another word, I took my leave and walked back out into the hall. As I approached the front door, I contemptibly eyed the Technicolor cretins gathered in the waiting room, eagerly awaiting their chance to step up to the plate. The worst part was that most of them probably stood a better chance of getting in than me.