• Published 21st Feb 2013
  • 546 Views, 5 Comments

Assertion - Sectus



Fluttershy comes home to Ponyville after a long absence, but all is not well in the sleepy little town she once knew.

  • ...
 5
 546

Chapter 3: Those Devious Eyes

Assertion
Written by Sectus
Edited by RWG

Chapter Three: Those Devious Eyes

“Oh, I can’t wait to try on the dresses, Twilight! Rarity is so wonderful at dressmaking...”

Fluttershy and Twilight trotted along one of the many quiet roads that spiderwebbed throughout the entire small village. The afternoon was beginning to wind down, the sun’s light casting the countryside in an orange glow that warmed anypony it touched. Here and there walked a few ponies finishing up their daily business, only a few of them still remaining in the market district. Twilight cast a warm smile at her unusually excited pegasus friend.

“I know, Fluttershy. I still remember the dresses she made us for the Gala. I’m sure these new ones will make us the life of the party,” Twilight returned.

The two mares had scheduled Rarity’s Carousel Boutique as the final stop of their afternoon of relaxation. It would give them time for Twilight to catch up on things with Rarity, and the both of them to try on their special order dresses.

The doorbell gave its familiar chime as the pair stepped inside the quiet shop. Taking the initiative, Fluttershy introduced the two of them.

“Rarity? It’s me and Twilight. We’re here to try on dresses...”

A sound of unprepared scuttling and ruffling came from the back room, followed by a rather distraught Rarity hurrying into the main shop.

“Oh my, I apologize. I thought you would be at the spa a tad longer than this!” Rarity offered, trotting over to meet them at the door.

“Here’s the spa receipt, Rarity. Thank you so much for paying,” Twilight spoke, digging the flimsy paper out of her saddlebag before handing it over to her unicorn friend.

“No need for thanks, darling. It is the least I could do for two of my best friends. The dresses are over on the display figurines. You two go and see them while I handle this,” Rarity said, giving a ‘shoo shoo’ motion in the direction of the dresses as she stepped over to her desk to handle the payment.
Twilight and Fluttershy trotted over to the dresses on display at Rarity’s insistence. Both dresses were airy and free-flowing, fitting for an inside or ballroom environment by their color schemes.

“Oh, these dresses look wonderful, Rarity, thank you so much!” Twilight praised, unable to look away from the eye-catching garments.

"Twilight, darling, did you ask for the special treatments, or were you gifted them?"

“Huh...?” Twilight asked, confused by the sudden change in subject.

"The lipstick on your receipt, dear. You didn't ask for any special treatments, did you?" Rarity shot back, a more urgent tone in her voice.

“No...” Twilight said slowly. The lipstick didn’t seem like anything unusual to her, why was Rarity so upset?

"Oh my...Twilight darling, do you understand what that mark on your receipt means?"

“I just thought it was decorative,” Twilight replied.

At this, Rarity turned away from her desk and trotted over to the pair of them at the modeling station. She gave Twilight a serious look, resting a single hoof on Twilight’s shoulder.

“This lipstick mark, it is from Lotus. It means she likes you, Twilight.”

Twilight blinked. So Lotus liked her. What was there to be upset about?

“Well, the princess did say I needed to make more friends, Rarity. Maybe this is a good thing,” Twilight said, a gentle smile crossing her features.

“No, Twilight. It means she like likes you,” blurted Rarity, a deadpan look on her face.

Twilight stared at her friend for a moment before she registered what it was she was saying.

“W-what? That’s ridiculous,” Twilight sputtered, stepping back from Rarity. She felt a warming sensation crawling into her cheeks at a fast pace. A very different feeling was crawling someplace lower, but she pushed that aside for the moment. “No, this can’t happen, Rarity. I’m not even sure I like mares!”

At this, Rarity nearly exploded with excitement.

“You mean you’ve been considering it, and you didn’t tell moi?! Darling, I’m your friend, I can help you with these things!”

“RARITY!” Twilight’s irritated voice bellowed.

A stern silence seemed to suck the air out of the room as the two friends stared at one another, clearly on opposite ends of the emotional spectrum.

From a few feet away, the timid pegasus spoke up for the first time since announcing their arrival.

“I think it would be kind of nice to have a gay friend...”

***

Wrong...wrong wrong...wrong wrong wrong. Wrong.

This is all so very wrong. Why would any mare have feelings for me?, Twilight thought as she trod along the dusty road back to the Ponyville Library. The feeling of butterflies tickled inside her belly every time she thought about it, but it’s just not something she was ever into. Previous relationships had all been so simple.

It had all been the same, really. Kissing instead of hugging or shaking hooves. Saying “I love you” without ever really meaning it. It was all filly stuff done for attention among peers. This, though. It felt different. Mainly because it was a mare. Partly because she hadn’t spoken two words to Lotus before now. It just felt so...adult.

This wasn’t something she wanted to be thinking about right now. There were more important things at hand, and she couldn’t afford to spend her time thinking about crushes and dates. Then again, she had promised herself at least one day off from worrying. Maybe this relationship business would be good for her? It would give her somepony other than Spike to vent at every day. Uh...maybe that was the wrong way to look at things.

I have to trust them, she told herself.

Not long later, she found herself faced with her front door as usual. She gave a sigh, pushing it open with her forehead.

I just need some sleep, that’s all, Twilight thought to herself as she wobbled into the empty, dark library.

What you need is restraint, Twilight Sparkle.

Yes...restraint...wait, that isn't what I sound like...in my head...is it?

Twilight blinked, staring around at her library only to find it devoid of books. Or walls. Or floors...a ceiling...or any discernable form of matter in general, really.

“W-what...?” the confused unicorn uttered, suddenly finding her voice.

It was then that she appeared. Tall and graceful as ever, the dark blue alicorn stood proudly, staring down at Twilight Sparkle, a certain glimmer of stars and space reflected in her eyes.

“Princess Luna!” Twilight gasped, instinctively lowering her head in a bow.

“Your thoughts betray you, Twilight Sparkle. Never would I have imagined a mare like yourself delving into the worlds of lust and love,” Luna said, a soft chuckle chasing her wise-spoken words. The area around the two mares began to grow chilly, snow blurring the edges of Twilight’s vision everywhere she looked.

“I...p-princess, I’d never...”

“It’s a natural part of our world, my dear pupil. All of us are curious, and want to explore. You know this, Twilight Sparkle. Curiosity invokes learning, and learning makes better ponies. Better ponies means a better Equestria,” the princess finished, smiling down at her student, before waving a hoof dismissively at the subject.

“Regardless, this is beside the point of our meeting. You must remain quick and sharp, both mentally and physically,” the princess began. “At this stage in your magical development, I wouldn't expect much resistance gaining access to your thoughts, but by the time I am finished training you, you should be able to see other ponies thoughts yourself,” she concluded.

“What if I don’t want to see other ponies thoughts...?” Twilight asked nervously, looking around the apparent dream world around her. The visions she saw were blurred at best, but it seemed real. It felt real. Inside of her head it was real, as far as she was concerned.

“All great leaders must do things they do not want to, Twilight Sparkle,” Luna began, the slightest quiver in her voice barely audible. “If you are to take on power, it will be your responsibility to watch the dreams of your subjects for the betterment of Equestria,” the night princess completed with a curt nod.

The studious purple unicorn felt the breath fizzle from her chest. Well, I guess there are worse ponies than Princess Luna who could train me. What do I have to worry about?

“The only thing you should worry about is procrastination and laziness, my student,” Luna noted. Twilight felt her stomach roll as she was reminded of the princess’s power. “Let this serve as a prologue to the training that will come in your future. Be prepared, Twilight Sparkle. The next time I come to you, it will not be in your sleep,” the princess noted, the tone in her voice sending a shiver down Twilight’s spine. “For now, try not to let your mind stray from what really matters,” the princess warned, her eyes narrowing as she stared down at her pupil.

With that, the blurry void of snow surrounding them increased its whirl. She took a step back, raising a foreleg to shield her eyes as she felt the cold wash over her, blinding her in a thick haze of the purest white.

***

Dear Diary,

I can’t really think of anything to write today. Well, I can, it’s just...really hard to explain. My vacation...trip...whatever ponies would call it, was definitely a great time. I find it hard to fully enjoy reflecting on it given what is happening in Ponyville. Sure, I had a great time with Twilight and Rarity today, but things are different. These new ponies in their armor, with their radios...they’re so scary. I miss the way things used to be. It was a lot less noisy.

Twilight and I had a great time at the spa, though. There weren't many of those police ponies around. Maybe they were off harassing Berry Punch about her ‘special brew’ again? I feel like things get easier when the PVPF isn't around. I think they are causing more problems than they are solving.

I miss my other friends, and I haven’t reserved any time to spend with them. I really hope they aren't mad at me. Everypony seems so busy these days. Rarity is overstocked with dress orders, Sweet Apple Acres is overflowing with apple shipment orders, and Rainbow Dash has been training more than ever. She really wants to keep her image up for the Wonderbolts, and I’m so happy for her.

Pinkie Pie...well. She IS Pinkie Pie, after all. She’s busy setting up parties for every filly and colt in Ponyville that ever has a birthday. I’m pretty sure that she marks her calendar a few years in advance for anypony’s party.

I know all of this change is natural, but the murder isn't. It’s scaring me, and rumors are starting to fly around about who could have done it. I can’t imagine a pony that would willingly hurt somepony else. Things have always been so peaceful in Ponyville, and this is an unwelcome change. I hope it all ends soon.

Fluttershy opened her mouth, dropping the quill with a sigh. She lifted her hooves, trying her best to rub the blur from her eyes as she struggled to stay awake and read over her words. The writing looked alien to her, and she hoped that what she wrote would be intelligible when she woke tomorrow.

She stood up from her desk, gently flapping her wings and hovering over, landing gently atop her soft bed. Her eyes drifted shut as she curled up into a ball in the bed, not bothering to pull the covers over herself as a cold breeze wafted in the window. Outside, gleaming white crystals had begun to fall from a light cloud cover that had been assembled earlier that day.

Her breath came steadily as she drifted off to sleep. She didn't even twitch an ear at the scream that echoed in the distance, masked by wind and wolf howls tearing at the night.

***

"I don't understand. How the fuck does stuff like this happen?"

Spearhead gave a growl as she stood at the edge of Everfree Forest. The entire area had been taped off as a police investigation, and the entire reason for that was lying mangled and torn right at her hooves.

A stiff-looking grey unicorn trot up beside Spearhead, his stack of paper cutie mark fitting his physique and attitude quite well. He held a dented metal clipboard in his matching dull grey magic as he spoke up to his superior, pushing the horn-rimmed glasses that sat on his snout up ever so slightly with a free hoof.

"Name's Berry Punch, boss. Contrary to what we originally guessed, it wasn't alcohol poisoning that killed her," the snooty unicorn began, chuckling at his own words as he stared down at the corpse beneath him. Most of the crumpled body had been reduced to blood and giblets, but enough remained to clearly identify who it was that had died.

"Yeah, I guessed that," Spearhead shot back with a grumble. "Do you have anything of use to me, or is this just another waste of police time? I can call the janitor right now if we don't need this puddle anymore."

"Well, we did get one conclusive piece of evidence from this. It's an earth pony that did this. No unicorn or pegasus could bend a pony's spine like that unless they pushed themselves into blacking out," he said with a curt nod to his superior.

A short pause sucked the air away from the two ponies before Spearhead spoke up.

"That's fucking stupid. I'm an earth pony, and there's no way I could do this," she said, sliding a hoof down her cheek. "Go get me some actual evidence before you bother me again, Fast Fyle. I want names, dates, descriptions...you know, some damn evidence?" She shot with a sneer at the snooty pony. "I don't need your ignorant prejudices contaminating this investigation."

The hardened sergeant gave a sigh as she banged her forehead against her hoof repeatedly.

Two in two days...yeah, no, a unicorn has to be doing this shit. Nobody but a dildohead could pull this shit off. I wouldn't put it past Fast Fyle...nah...

Spearhead groaned, shaking the thoughts from her head as she turned away from the liquefied corpse.

"Well...time for another five thousand word report on the wonders of murder...and here I thought I was done with creative writing class..."

Comments ( 1 )

2811891

Thank you so much for the review! I'm glad you liked what I have at least a little. Hopefully I can raise your opinion with upcoming chapters! :duck:

Login or register to comment