• Published 21st Feb 2013
  • 12,384 Views, 308 Comments

Flutterling - Princess_Celestia



Fluttershy is not what she appears to be...

  • ...
35
 308
 12,384

Things don't always turn out the way you expect.

Twilights mind worked at a furious pace. Fluttershy is a changeling queen? But then... does that mean that Fluttershy is actually Chrysalis? How dare she kidnap and imitate my friend! She felt the anger build up inside her. I've got to warn- Her panicked and angry thought process was stopped by a new train of thought. No... I can't jump to conclusions. She may just be somehow influenced by the Changelings.

Twilight set down the parchment she had already lifted to write a letter to the Princess. I can't be sure of anything right now, and the last thing I should do is start a national crisis by declaring my friend was kidnapped and replaced by Chrysalis. Twilight sighed, and started reading through various tomes on Changelings...

--

Fluttershy was taking the long way back to the library. She ate the cupcake slowly. They always tasted the same. The frosting, the cake... even the other foods Pinkie made tasted the same. It was delicious, of course, but it always seemed to her like different foods were supposed to taste... different. There were those cakes that Pinkie Pie made her for her birthdays, but other than that, everything tasted the same.

She finally made her way to the library. Fluttershy stopped, hearing pages turning frantically inside. Twilight must have found something! She gently knocked on the door, and waited patiently. "Come in!" Twilight yelled, sounding a little distracted. Fluttershy quietly opened the door, and saw Twilight pouring over a book, stacks of books on either side of her.

"Twilight?" Fluttershy quietly asked, making Twilight jump.

Twilight spun around, looking at the yellow pegasus behind her. Her brain worked furiously. What do I say? Do I accuse her, right here and now? No. That wouldn't work, unless she IS Chrysalis, and in that case I'd be revealing what I know too soon.

Twilight cleared her throat, and spoke. "Fluttershy... Do you remember your parents?" Twilight asked in a serious tone.

Whatever Fluttershy was expecting, this was not it. She looked a little taken aback to hear this question. "W... why are you... Um... No, Twilight. Why do you ask?" she said, the bewilderment overpowering her anxiety. What did this have to do with... anything?

Twilight sighed, then looked at Fluttershy. "Do you remember... anything of your foalhood? Do you remember who raised you?"

Fluttershy looked at Twilight, incredibly confused. Not only were these questions bizarre, but she never told anyone about her early memories being missing. "No..." She said, quietly.

Twilight stood there, frozen in place. This made even less sense. Chrysalis would have made something up, surely? She had been prepared to trap her, but... Well, maybe Chrysalis was smarter than Twilight expected. She had one more trap ready, though. "Fluttershy, when I first met you, you were teaching the squirrels acrobatics for the Summer Sun Celebration, right?" Twilight asked, a cocky smile slowly creeping onto her face. I've got you now, Chrysalis!

Fluttershy's confusion only increased. "No, Twilight, I was helping the birds with their singing..."

Twilight's smile immediately vanished. Chrysalis could NOT know about that, it simply wasn't possible. But then, what was happening? Was she actually just the victim of a changeling plot somehow? From her research, she knew the most a Changeling could do to influence a pony in any way was mind control, like what happened to Shining Armor at the wedding. There was no way to turn a pony into a Changeling, or give them any other changeling features. Myths about Monsters ended up being incredibly valuable to her research.

Twilight paced back and forth. There was one spell... one spell that would tell her one way or the other. If nothing happened, nothing happened, and then it would be time to explore other avenues of inquiry. However, if her changeling-revealing spell that she practiced after the wedding did something... She couldn't decide what she'd do.

"Fluttershy... I think I know how we can find out what happened. Let me cast a spell on you. It'll give us the answers we need." Twilight said, solemnly.

Fluttershy was still very confused, but if Twilight thought she knew what was wrong with Fluttershy; Fluttershy should just go along with it. "A-alright, Twilight..." She said, quietly.

Twilight's horn glowed, as she cast a simple, extensively-practiced spell, a soft ball of light forming, then moving towards Fluttershy. As soon as it hit her, it sparked green energy, as a large, jagged, wicked-looking horn appeared on Fluttershy's forehad.

Twilight stared at it, in complete shock. How is this possible? No illusion magic that exists can counter this spell! She stepped forward, and put a front hoof on Fluttershy's horn. It's really here... then that means...

Twilight sighed, then looked up at Fluttershy. "Fluttershy... you're a changeling."

Fluttershy stood there, unable to process what was being said to her. "W-what?"

Twilight pulled out a small mirror, and showed Fluttershy the reflection upon it.

Fluttershy fainted.

--

Slowly, she began to regain consciousness. She felt a soft bed underneath her, and slowly opened her eyes.

Twilight's face was less than an inch from hers. "Oh good, you're awake!" She said.

Fluttershy leapt out of the bed, hovering in a corner of the room, which turned out to be the Library's bedroom. "D..Don't scare me like that, Twilight!" Fluttershy said. She suddenly remembered what happened, and clapped her hoof to her forehead. It lacked a horn. She breathed a sigh of relief, it must have been a dream.

"The spell doesn't last very long, so it's already worn off. That is why your horn isn't there." Twilight said, not really thinking.

Fluttershy looked at Twilight. "So... I didn't... dream that?" She spoke quietly, as though afraid of the answer.

"No. That really was your horn. You're a changeling." Twilight said, slowly, trying not to provoke another fainting spell like last time.

Fluttershy sighed, landing on the ground. "I... I thought of that before... after the wedding..." She said, softly, "But... I just decided that it was impossible. Just because I didn't need to eat... or the way I could feel everyone's emotions..." Fluttershy's voice got even softer. "I just... didn't think I could be one of those... monsters..."

Fluttershy was surprised to look up and see Twilight's face inches away. "Fluttershy, you're not a monster, no matter what you are. You're still Fluttershy."

Fluttershy couldn't hold it back anymore, and tears appeared in her eyes as she looked at Twilight, "T...Thank you, Twilight..." She said, softly.

"I'm just glad I'm the one that discovered this! Imagine me being told this second-hoof?" Twilight thought, then suddenly looked terrified. "No, don't imagine that. I would have done terrible things..."

Twilight smiled, and Fluttershy, feeling Twilight's friendship refreshing her, smiled too. Even the bird watching them through the window smiled.

--

Fluttershy was on her way back to her cabin, having had a long talk with Twilight, when she saw one of her chipmunk friends. It gestured for her to follow, then scampered off. Fluttershy followed it, even as they began to enter the Everfree Forest itself. "Is... is it okay to go this deep?" She asked the chipmunk.

In response, the chipmunk smiled. "This is just about deep enough." It said, in a very familiar, insectoid voice. A large green fire suddenly enveloped the chipmunk, and suddenly Queen Chrysalis stood there.

Fluttershy immediately stood completely still, frozen with fear. "T...T...The Changeling Queen!" Fluttershy squeaked, "D-d-d-Don't hurt me!!" She said, cowering.

Chrysalis' expression softened, and she took a few steps towards the yellow pegasus. "I believe you are Fluttershy, correct?"

"Y-yes..." Fluttershy said, looking up at the towering changeling.

"I came to apologize, Fluttershy." Chrysalis said, her tone of voice sounding quite different from the wedding. "I... didn't know there was another Queen here. I wouldn't have invaded if I had known."

Fluttershy blinked, then stood up slowly. "Queen?" she said, repeating the word. "I'm a queen?"

Chrysalis nodded. "Of course." Her eyes widened. "Wait... how is it possible that you didn't know?"

Fluttershy shook her head. "I don't know... I just found out I was a changeling..."

Chrysalis put a hole-filled hoof up to her chin. "That... does explain a lot. Why you didn't contact me, and why this village is unhurt."

"W...what do you mean?" Fluttershy asked, "Would someone attack me if they knew I was a queen?" She thought back to the wedding, and how power-hungry and greedy Chrysalis seemed. Even if she didn't apparently want to hurt another changeling, that didn't say anything about the other Changeling Queens.

"Yes... but that's not what I meant." Chrysalis said, grinning as she leaned in. "You wouldn't want to see your little pony friends hurt, would you?" She asked, a sinister tone entering her voice. "If you ever transformed into your real form... well..." Her grin widened. "It would probably be the end for Ponyville." She cackled.

Fluttershy looked at Chrysalis, her eyes wide. "Oh... oh no!" She squeaked, feeling terrified of something else now, herself.

"Well," Chrysalis started, standing back up to her full height. "I must leave now. My hive needs their queen so we can rebuild. It was a pleasure meeting you, Fluttershy." Chrysalis said, that grin remaining on her face, as she transformed into a bird and flew away.

Fluttershy stood there, with no idea what to do or where to go.

--

Rainbow Dash flew up to the raincloud. It had obviously floated for quite some time to end up over here, considering it was supposed to be over Canterlot at this time. As Rainbow Dash pushed it back towards Canterlot, she looked down, and saw something yellow and pink. "Fluttershy?" Rainbow Dash muttered to herself, kicking the cloud towards Canterlot, as she flew down and landed next to Fluttershy.

"Uh, Fluttershy? What are you doing?" Rainbow Dash said, as she stood next to the vacantly staring Fluttershy.

"Oh! Ahahahaha! Nothing at all! Everything's fine! I'm not a danger to all my friends! Don't ask any more questions!" Fluttershy said in a high-pitched, falsely happy voice. "Well, I need to go feed Scootaloo, see you later!" she said, walking in a random direction.

"Your cabin is that way" Rainbow Dash said, pointing with a hoof, "And Scootaloo is a pony."

"Oh, right, of course, haha!" Fluttershy responded, turning around and going as fast as she could.

Rainbow Dash was not about to let one of her best friends go off alone in that state, so she went high up into the sky and followed her, using the natural camouflage of the sky.

Fluttershy ran into her cabin and locked the door, not noticing Rainbow Dash, who softly landed and snuck down the side of her house to peer in a window. "Rainbow Dash, you are the Empress of Stealth." Rainbow Dash said to herself as she clung to the side of the house.

Fluttershy, on the other hand, had no idea what to do. She was feeling better, since her animal friends were around, but she paid them no attention as she ran up into her room and closed the door. "Oh Fluttershy, what are you going to do? You don't even know how to transform, but if you do, everyone could be hurt!" Fluttershy said, sounding pathetic. "I wish I never found out I was a changeling!"

"WHAT?" Yelled Rainbow Dash, from outside her window.

"WHA- OW!" yelled Pinkie Pie, banging her head on the underside of Fluttershy's bed, where she'd been hiding to surprise her with a cake she baked to try to cheer her up.

"Oh..." was all Fluttershy could say, as Rainbow Dash flew into the open window, and Pinkie Pie crawled out from under her bed.

"YOU'RE A CHANGELING?" They both yelled in unison.

Pinkie seemed to be taking it better. "Ooooooh, that explains why you even liked the baked bads, huh?" Pinkie said, "I bet it's the love we put into the food that tastes good to y-" Pinkie was interrupted by a blue streak slamming into Fluttershy.

"Where's Fluttershy, Changeling?" She yelled, anger filling her body. "She's the only other Pegasus friend I have! Where'd you take her???"

"R-r-Rainbow... Dash..." Fluttershy said, not willing to argue with her friend, especially considering her current mental state. "Sorry."

"Sorry??" Rainbow Dash yelled, angrily shaking Fluttershy. "How can you be sorry, when you've kidnapped one of my best friends!" Rainbow Dash said, tears forming in her eyes.

"Dashie! Stop!" Pinkie Pie yelled, running over and pushing Rainbow Dash away from Fluttershy.

"Oh, are you a changeling too? Are all my friends changelings?" Rainbow Dash said, growing quite paranoid.

"Dashie! Look!" Pinkie Pie yelled, pointing with a hoof at Fluttershy.

Fluttershy was sitting there, her head down, tears streaming down her face. She wasn't even making any noise, other than the occasional hiccup. Rainbow Dash recognized it immediately. This was the exact same way she found Fluttershy after she'd been picked on so ruthlessly by those bullies up in Cloudsdale.

"Oh... Fluttershy... What... what am I saying?" Rainbow Dash moved back up to Fluttershy and gently set her hoof on Fluttershy's shoulder. "I'm sorry, Fluttershy. I shouldn't have done such a terrible thing... I know that you're still you." She paused. "Well, now I do."

Fluttershy smiled for the first time in what felt like a very long time. "T...Thank you, Rainbow Dash." She said, wiping her tears away. She turned towards Pinkie. "And thank you too, Pinkie."

"Nooo Problem!" Pinkie Pie said, "I kinda suspected it anyway since you always knew when I was a little sad, no matter how I hid it. I figured either you were a changeling, or Twilight cast some kinda spell on you." Pinkie happily proclaimed. "Now eat your cake!" She said, turning around and pulling the small, frosted cake with "Be Happy, Fluttershy!" written on it in frosting.

Fluttershy felt tears begin to fall again, though for the exact opposite reason. "T..Thank you so much!" She said, as she hugged the both of them.

--

Princess Celestia was softly humming a song to herself as she worked on her paperwork. It was dull, but she didn't mind it too much.

The doors at the end of the room burst open, as two guards carried an obviously wounded unicorn into the throne room. The unicorn was barely conscious, and black crystals covered his horn.

"He's... back..." the wounded unicorn said, before passing out.

Author's Note:

"Yer a changeling, Fluttershy." Hagrid said.

Also whoooa what a twist!

Also Chrysalis was around oh gosh!