• Published 14th Feb 2013
  • 447 Views, 3 Comments

When Dreams Become Nightmares - 14SilverLining



When dreams are being stolen and corrupted into nightmares, Twilight and the gang set out to find who they think is behind it all. But what happens when her own friend's happy dreams are stolen and turned into fearful nightmares? Only time will

  • ...
 3
 447

Intro: The study of dreams.

“Dreams: a series of thoughts, images, and sensations occurring in a pony's mind during sleep. It’s said that they are cherished aspirations, ambitions, or ideals. A place for unrealistic, or self-deluding fantasies. While that is true… Dreams are simply where a pony goes for peace, happiness and their own interpretations of perfection. However, where there is peace and perfection, there are flaws and chaos. These of course, are where ‘Nightmares’ come in. Now tell me Twilight... What do you know of nightmares?”


This all started when Celestia called me back to Canterlot to study under Luna. Apparently Luna asked Celestia if she could try a hoof at teaching. She of course agreed to let Luna teach me about her role of the night; from raising the moon and lighting the stars, to her duties of entering dreams. When it came to the subject of nightmares however, it was difficult for her to talk about. Every time she spoke about bad dreams, I could see the fear, and sadness in her eyes. During a lesson a month ago, when she was talking about nightmare origins, she tried to hide it, but I swear I saw a tear fall. Celestia came in shortly after. I couldn’t tell at the time if she was there because she knew Luna was upset talking about the subject, or if she simply wanted to see how Luna and I were doing. But if I had to guess, I would have said that Celestia knew that Luna was in pain from the memory. Celestia looked like it pained her too. She stayed for the rest of the lesson, and didn’t say a word. Since then however, the lessons have been easier to get through.

I have been studying under Luna for almost 5 months now. So far we’ve covered how she raises the moon, and brings out the stars. She taught me how dreams work, the meanings of them, and how they affect ponies in the real world. And after learning about dreams, it transitioned into nightmares. Things like when and why she created them. She says the original purpose for them was to keep ponies awake during the night, or to wake one when they were asleep. She wanted ponies to be too scared to fall asleep, forcing them to stay awake and pay attention to the night. After returning, and transformed back into Princess Luna, she decided to keep nightmares and use them to teach and help ponies conquer their fear. When I asked her on the techniques she used to help ponies, the only answer I got was to ask Scootaloo when I returned to Ponyville. I still have no idea what she meant by that.

For the first couple weeks she would teach me at night. It was completely understandable considering she was the ‘Princess of the Night’; and though I was used to studying at night... having me there till dawn started affecting my sleeping pattern in a negative way. Thankfully, she changed it so it ends right before she raises the moon. I felt like I was betraying her at first; asking the mare who wanted ponies to stay awake, to be able to sleep during the night. But after the first time I fell asleep during a lesson, I really did not want to it to happen again. All I can recall from that night was walking up in my bed with Luna laying at my side. A big grin on her stretched across her face, then leaned close to my ear and told me that I was snoring very cutely...

“Twilight? Are you alright?” I snapped back to Luna standing beside her blackboard. She was writing about effects that nightmares have on ponies in the real world, and must have noticed me in a daze.

“Oh, umm, yes. Sorry, I was just reflecting on the past.” She nodded and went back to the board and continued writing.

As she wrote, I flipped through my notebook and went over the past lessons. Just like all my notes, they were very detailed. I’ve always enjoyed trying to fit in as much detail into my notes as I could. Though some ponies may not care for the smaller things; past experiences taught me every piece of information is useful, no matter how small. Actually, I found that the smaller the detail, the more it mattered. And, the more I’d enjoy it.

As I continued reading through my notes, I came across a small drawing of mine. It was of ‘The Mare in the Moon’, and the story of when Luna was banished. I never would have drawn it if she hadn’t given it as an assignment. When she gave it to me, I was very hesitant to actually do it. Since Luna’s return the two of us became really close friends. It felt awkward to draw, and write about the time she was imprisoned. I set my previous notes aside and flipped back to where I left off. Looking back up to Luna, I could see she was just finishing writing the effects. I quickly copied them down in my book. When she was done, she set the chalk down and turned to me. I gave her a nod signaling that I was done copying.

“I believe that will be all for this evening, Twilight. Good work so far and I will see you tomorrow.” She walked over to me and gave a quick nuzzle. Then, she whispered in my ear in such a sweet voice, “Have pleasant dreams tonight.”

“Thank you, Princess.” I said softly. I nuzzled her cheek before turning away towards the door. “Goodnight.”

Luna made her way toward the balcony outside her bedroom, and I started putting away my books and quills. As I made my way towards the door, I looked back to Luna and watched as she stared at the moon. I was captivated by the way her mane swayed in the breeze. Having the blackening sky in the background, almost made the stars look like they were alive. I continued to watch her as I walked through the door. Before it fully closed, Luna started singing. I couldn’t hear what she was saying, but it sounded like,

Come Little Children...

Author's Note:

This is my first Fanfic. I was inspired to write it, from the animation 'Children of the Night' (Link is in the story). Any and all constructive criticism is welcome.

Comments ( 2 )

I think I'll fav it and see where this story leads.....
For a first Fic, ya did pretty good! :twilightsmile:

Oooh i like so far i like :pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment