• Published 1st Feb 2013
  • 2,868 Views, 200 Comments

Lady and the DJ - JerryTheHouseGhost



The misadventures of Octavia and Vinyl Scratch

  • ...
6
 200
 2,868

New Filly on the Block

On a day much like the rest, the young fillies and colts of the small town of Ponyville were hard at work in the small schoolhouse. Today, however, was a very special day indeed.

It was a test day.

One particular filly was hard at work, scribbling furiously on her paper. At the top, next to the name section, was the name “Octavia,” but most of the other ponies called her “Tavi.” Mostly because “Oct” sounds weird. Still, it was written in very neat cursive and was colored a lively pink. Her answers were well-written, neat, and thorough. Though she did enjoy the occasionally mathematical problem, she felt slightly disappointed at the lack of difficulty.

Still, she thought, it’s better than any physical exam. She shuddered, thinking about the dreaded “fun run” that they were sometimes unfortunately sentenced to. There was nothing fun about it, nor did it involve any running for that matter. However, the fact that they were forced to participate in vigorous activities such as these was quite terrible. Such activity is for the thick-headed neanderthals that are also referred to as, “jocks.”


She looked down at her test and paused for a moment, almost losing her train of thought. Octavia shook her head quickly, letting her focus on her paper. Examining it, she smiled slightly as she realized she had finished. She set down her pink pen and looked out the window, waiting for the rest of the class to be done. She sighed, yearning to be back home with her cello so she could try her hand at a new Beethoofen piece she’d been practicing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Alright class, time is up! I have a feeling this batch will be the best tests we’ve had so far!” Several writing utensils were heard to be slammed against the desks, and a few ponies groaned miserably. One brown colt in front of Octavia dropped his head to his desk, making a dull thud. To her surprise, he didn’t move at all, even after the teacher pulled his paper from under his head. It wasn’t that hard, was it? She wondered silently, watching her teacher make her way around the class, collecting all their tests.

When the teacher returned to the front, she set all of the papers neatly on her desk. Instead of beginning a new lesson like she usually did after a test, she brought everypony’s attention to the door. “Ahem! Class, today we have a big surprise in store for us. Would any of you like to guess what it is?”

A pink filly quickly jumped onto her desk, raising herself onto her back legs and proceeded to wave her forehooves in the air. “Is it a party?! I love parties! They’re so fun and have lots of food and streamers and cakes and balloons and dancing and-”

The teacher had to shout loudly to be heard. “Pinkamena! It is not a party! Now please, sit down and take your seat before you hurt yourself or somepony else.” The teacher then sighed,”like last time.” It was a known fact in the schoolhouse to avoid the pink pony when she was being wild. Which was all the time.

The pink filly then slowly brought her forehooves down and climbed off her desk back into her seat, amongst a small amount of snickering.

“Would anyone else like to guess what the surprise may be?” Several hooves shot up in the air, and one particularly brave colt decided to shout his guess out. “Is it the Wonderbolts??” The class started to get extremely excited at the thought. Octavia tried to cower in her seat as many of her classmates started to throw things and shout wildly. She looked around and noticed that someone had thrown a small book at the teacher, who narrowly avoided the book.

“ENOUGH!” she shouted, which was indeed enough to silence the class. Everypony slowly settled down back into their seats, much to Octavia’s relief. The teacher then huffed loudly before continuing. “Would anyone ELSE like to venture a guess as what it might be?”

Everypony was silent, with no hooves in the air. After a small pause, a voice was heard closer to the back. “Is it a sex scene with Princess Celestia?” The class erupted in fits of laughter as the teacher stood dumbfounded, blushing profoundly. She quickly regained her composure and got her students under control.

“Alright class. Since we couldn’t guess, I’ll just have to tell you it is: We have a new student! Isn’t that exciting?” She announced excitedly, waiting for any sort of enthusiasm to match her own. The whole class was silent, save for one cough. Even Octavia was less than enthused when she heard the news.

Slightly dejected, the teacher continued. “Class, I’d like you all to meet our new student. Come on in.” The door opened up, and in came a white unicorn filly with just a hint of yellow that you had to examine closely to notice. Her mane and tail were two shades of blue. “Why don’t you introduce yourself to the class?”

“Hey everypony, my name’s Vinyl Scratch, but you can call me Vinyl if you’d like. ‘Cause, you know, it’s shorter and stuff.”

“Thank you, Vinyl. Why don’t you take that open desk over there next to Octavia? Maybe she could be your first friend in class!”

Vinyl Scratch walked over to the empty desk and took a seat. She began to drum her hooves on the desk and hummed. Octavia had never heard such a beat as the one coming from the unicorn sitting next to her. She continued to watch the filly as she started to get increasingly intense with her drumming. At one point, Vinyl used pencils as drumsticks until she accidentally threw one. The pencil sailed through the air and hit the brown colt in front of Octavia, who then proceeded to let his head fall back to the desk with a slightly louder thump than last time. Again, he laid there, motionless.

Octavia stared at Vinyl with wide eyes, who had frozen in place. Vinyl slowly turned her head towards Octavia and smiled widely. Octavia smiled weakly back and looked towards the teacher, who had started a new lesson. She then slowly hopped her desk a few times away from Vinyl.

Vinyl noticed that Octavia was quickly getting away, and watched her until the two made eye contact. Octavia froze and stared back.

“Do you have any extra paper? I kinda don’t have any right now...” Vinyl asked Octavia.

Octavia stared blankly at Vinyl until she realized she was actually talking to her. Duh, she’s staring at you, Octavia thought. “Umm, yes. I should have an extra sheet or two.”

She lifted her desktop slightly to reach her school supplies. Amongst the various amount of pink pens, she had a plethora of other necessary and random school supplies. Locating the sheets of paper, she pulled a few out and shut her desk. Handing them over to Vinyl, she quickly returned to watching the teacher.

“Hey, thanks!” said Vinyl. She looked at the paper on her desk for a moment before looking back at Octavia. “Hey, uh... You wouldn’t happen to also have a pencil, would you?”

Octavia rolled her eyes slightly, realizing that she should have thought of that as well. Opening up her desk once again, she noticed a lack of pencils. She pulled one of her pink pens out and showed it to Vinyl, smiling uncertainly.

“That pink pen?” Vinyl stared at Octavia, who was worried that Vinyl wasn’t pleased. “That pink pen... Is totally awesome!!! Thanks!”

She sighed with relief as she gave the pen over to the grateful pony. Octavia then sat lazily back in her seat for a moment before grimacing at her posture. Sitting straight up, she quickly adjusted her small bow tie and looked at the teacher. Before long, her gaze slowly shifted over to the new pony next to her. The filly quickly noticed that Vinyl was watching the teacher, but absentmindedly chewing on the borrowed pink pen.

Octavia turned her attention back to the teacher, blanching at the thought of her newly chewed pen.She can have the pen, she thought mildly. It can be her gift of welcome. But never again will I proceed to let her borrow my pens.

After the teacher finished the lesson for the day, all of the young colts and fillies began to have conversations about what their plans for the rest of the day were. All of them were planning on being with their friends; all except Octavia, who was just fine with it. She would rather go straight home and play her cello. She had always dreamed of playing in the Royal Canterlot Orchestra, so she wanted to practice as much as possible. But just when she was about to leave the schoolhouse, Vinyl stepped in front of her.

“Hey, everypony else has plans with their friends, and I was wondering if you wanted to maybe hang out? You know, because we’re friends now?” Vinyl asked with wide, starry eyes. She had just moved to Ponyville the other day, and since Octavia was her first friend in Ponyville, she assumed this meant that they were entitled to hang out right away. Before Octavia could even think of an excuse as to why she wouldn’t be able to spend time with her new “friend,” Vinyl began talking again. “So do you wanna come over to my place, go to your place, or what?”

Octavia stared at her blankly, shocked by the way Vinyl was so blunt. Composing some form of thought, Octavia started, “Ummm, as much fun as that sounds, I-”

“Or maybe we could even venture into the-- Everfree Forest!!! That would be so cool! Let’s go!” Vinyl began to gallop away, towards the Everfree Forest, and Octavia just stood there watching her. As she watched Vinyl, Octavia thought of all of her possible options at this point.

One one hoof, if I start in the other direction, I may just be able to get away before she dares to see if I follow her. She grimaced at the idea of the small white pony surrounded by the Everfree Forest by herself. On the other hoof, Vinyl must have someone to watch over her, lest something bad happen. The conflict in her mind began to get more and more complicated every second. However, she’s a big filly... Octavia realized the irony of that thought, and conjured up an image of Vinyl being shadowed by a rather large beast. She needs a friend there.... Wait, did I just assume myself as her friend?! The thought of Vinyl and her as friends was both a sweet and scary notion. She is nice and all, but I fear for the safety of my precious pens! At this, Octavia began to notice a small dust cloud quickly growing from the direction Vinyl Scratch had headed. Worriedly, Octavia began to assume the worst. Maybe she is being chased! Perhaps it is an angry animal, maybe--- The dust cloud was now getting pretty close to Octavia. So close, in fact, that she could vaguely make out her “friend’s” small form in the dust.

What in the world---

Vinyl Scratch finally got into shouting distance of Octavia. “Hold on to your bow tie!!!” Vinyl
yelled to Octavia.

Octavia was only able to let out a small “Huh?” in confusion before Vinyl reached her and tackled her to the ground, upon which Octavia let out a quick “Hmph!”

“So, are you coming or what?” asked Vinyl. “The Everfree Forest isn’t going to explore itself, you know!”

The weight of the filly on top of her was making it rather hard to breathe, not to mention the tackling had left her without breathe. Octavia managed to wheeze a small reply. “Can’t. Breathe!”

Vinyl realized that her weight probably wasn’t helping and smiled weakly, embarrassed. “Oh, right. Sorry about that,” Vinyl said while getting off of Octavia. “So, Everfree Forest?”

After managing to gain precious air into her lungs, Octavia got up from the ground and dusted herself off vigorously before straightening her bow tie with an air of righteousness. Satisfied, she looked at the other pony with a resignation. “I assume I have no choice but to join you, don’t I?”

“That’s the spirit!” exclaimed Vinyl. “Come on! The Everfree Forest isn’t going to explo-”

“I believe you have already said that,” Octavia told Vinyl.

“No! I was gonna say... That the... That the everfree forest isn’t gonna explode!” said Vinyl, blushing slightly.

Octavia stood there, silently staring at Vinyl with a raised eyebrow. She was obviously not convinced. “It just so happens that explosions of the Everfree Forest are common occurance, is that it?”

“Maybe!” Vinyl said quickly. “So you comin’ or what?”

Octavia sighed resignedly and nodded slowly, eyes closed. She had a feeling where this was going: Nowhere good.

“So, if you haven't noticed yet, the Everfree Forest is...” Vinyl paused for a moment to look around. She finally pointed her hoof towards the obvious treeline of the Everfree Forest. “That way! Let’s go!”

As Vinyl raced towards the treeline, Octavia hung her head and slowly started towards what she felt might be her doom.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Check it out, Octavia; the Everfree Forest.” Vinyl looked at the forest in awe, almost as if she hadn't just seen it from a distance before.

“Yes, it’s just as... Forest-y as it was five minutes ago.” Octavia replied sarcastically. Throughout their trek towards the forest, she had noticed many times where she could’ve made a hasty escape. Why didn’t I escape when I had the chance?! I could be at home performing a nice sonata, or part of a symphony... “Are you positive this is a good idea, Vinyl Scratch? I mean, we could have just as much fun at Sugarcube Corner. We might even be enticed to a cupcake or two.”

“Sugarcube Corner does sound good right now...” Vinyl put a hoof to her chin, in thought. “We should totally go there-” Octavia began to smile. “-after we’re back from our adventure!” The smile was short lived and replaced quickly with a frown. So close! Octavia thought bleakly.

Octavia gave in to her fellow pony, asking her next question bluntly, “So, what shall we do now that we are at the forest?”

“We’re going to explore, of course! Let us begin by heading that way!” Vinyl pointed her hoof towards the river that runs through the Everfree Forest. “We’ll follow that river further into the forest! You know, so we won’t get lost when we want to leave.”

Octavia thought this was actually a decent plan considering what she thought might be in Vinyl’s mind. So, she started to follow the white pony to the river. “You know, I had expected you to come up with something a lot crazier.”

“What? Why would you expect that?” asked Vinyl, a little offended.

“Oh, I don’t know, I just felt like you would try to make this into some sort of ‘Daring Do’ adventure,” replied Octavia, cautiously starting into the forest next to the river.

“Daring Do? Never heard of it,” said Vinyl.

Octavia stopped in her tracks after carefully clambering over a large tree root. Mouth open, she was stunned. “Never heard of the adventurer Daring Do? Do you for some reason not know how to read a book?”

“What kind of accusation is that? Of course I know how to read books!” Vinyl retaliated.

“Well then you would know who Daring Do is. She is only every filly’s role model growing up once they start reading.” Octavia narrowly avoided a low hanging branch that Vinyl released, not noticing Octavia was following closely.

“Obviously not every filly’s role model. My role model is MC Pony D.”

Octavia stared at her blankly. “Who is MC Pony D? I’ve never heard of anypony with such a strange name.”

“Who’s MC Pony D!? Are you kidding me!? MC Pony D is only the most awesome DJ EVER!!!” Vinyl said with a huge smile on her face. “When I grow up, I wanna be just like him!”

Octavia looked at her, a little scared as they continued walking. “But, what is a DJ?”

“You don’t know what a DJ is? DJ is short for disc jockey. They play the most radical music in the whole world!” Octavia continued to stare blankly at Vinyl. When Vinyl stopped to look back at Octavia, she smiled weakly at Vinyl in response and shrugged. “You know what? forget it. You’ll see when I become an awesome DJ! Now, what exactly does this ‘Daring Do...’ do?”

Octavia walked past Vinyl and flipped her mane. “Daring Do does everything. Not only does Daring Do explore the most exciting locales, she also finds hidden temples and treasures, lost civilizations, facing all manner of foes along the way and-- Are you listening to me?” Octavia looked back at Vinyl and noticed she was snoring loudly as she moved through some foliage. Annoyed, Octavia quickly swung her head back to the front and stuck her muzzle in the air petulantly before storming onward, making a loud hhmph! "How rude! At least she does something of value besides jockeying discs, whatever that means!”

“Yeah? Well at least MC Pony D isn't just some stupid storybook character!” Vinyl snapped at Octavia.

“I’ll have you know that she is a real pony!” Octavia countered, then quietly added, “I think.”

“Hold that thought,” said Vinyl, stopping and pricking up her ears. “Did you just hear something over there?”

Octavia stopped dead and started to look wildly around. “Where?! What? Something? Oh, I knew this was going to be a bad idea!” She quickly moved to Vinyl’s side and cringed. “Do you see anything?”

Blushing slightly, Vinyl put her hoof on Octavia’s head and stopped her from looking around. “Stop looking around all crazily like that; you’re gonna break your neck or something!” Vinyl moved Octavia’s attention to where she was pointing her other hoof. “Over there.”

Octavia made a small squeak before slowly backing away from where Vinyl was pointing. “Oh, this is about as much adventuring as I can take for one afternoon, so why don’t we start heading back and forget this ever happened.” Octavia turned back to where they had come from and was about to start running when she heard a noise coming from that direction. Jumping back at the noise, she resumed her hiding place by Vinyl, peeking over her and shaking.

“I think we’re being surrounded! Maybe we can get away by going that way!” Just as Vinyl and Octavia were about to make a break for it, another noise happened in that direction.

Another squeak escaped Octavia’s muzzle, and she slowly started backing up. Suddenly, her hoof slipped on the dirt and she looked to see that she was standing at the edge of the river. She looked down along the river and noticed no noise from that area. She called to Vinyl before running that way, “Vinyl! This way!”

Noticing Octavia making her way, Vinyl followed suit quickly. Immediately after they left the small clearing, the bushes started rustling ominously before several shapes moved out of the darkness... Several small bunnies came out and sniffed around, looking for the two ponies that were there just a moment before. Vinyl looked behind her in time to see the bunnies.

“We’re all doomed!!!!” she screamed, continuing to gallop behind Octavia.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“AAAAAHHHHHHHHH!” Octavia screamed as she galloped as fast as she could along the riverbank, trying to avoid foliage as much as possible. She skidded to a halt when she saw what was up ahead: A fine drop directly into the river.

“Bunnies!!! Don’t stop!!!” yelled Vinyl Scratch, coming in behind Octavia. Octavia heard Vinyl and started to turn around, a look of confusion that quickly turned to panic.

“It was only bun--” Octavia was cut off when she was caught in yet another Vinyl tackle, but this one landed right into the river with a large sploosh.

The water shocked Octavia’s system, but she noticed it wasn’t too cold. She quickly found her way to the surface of the water and broke through with a loud gasp. However, her surfacing was being cut short as a heavy object was pulling her down. Panicking, she tried to push it off, but it was climbing up her body. A blue head broke through the water next to her, with a huge grin on its face.

“Ah yeah! That was totally AWESOME!” said Vinyl Scratch, whose mane was drooping down on her face. “We should do that again!!!”

Octavia stared at Vinyl, mouth wide open in utter astonishment. Recovering herself, she flipped her mane out of hair and then froze again. She felt her now soaking hair, then her soggy bow tie and gasped in shock. “My-my mane. My glorious mane! And my bow tie! Ruined! Absolutely decimated! I---” She stopped, and glared at Vinyl, who was staring at her wide-eyed. “You. You did this! You just had to tackle me into the river, because of bunnies! Do you have any idea how long it took me to do my mane? And my bow tie! I just had this dry-cleaned!” Octavia stopped and started to splash Vinyl furiously. “You she-devil!”

“Aaah! Stop! You’re getting the water in my eyes! It burns!!!” Vinyl began to rub her eyes vigorously. “You’ve blinded me! Now I’ll never become a DJ!”

Octavia did one last splash before stopping and crossing her forehooves while lifting her muzzle in the air. “Serves you right for bringing me into the forest and dragging me into the water.”

Vinyl stopped rubbing her eyes and opened them to look around. “Oh, I can see! Thank Celestia! And come on! You know that was fun!”

Octavia and Vinyl stared at each other, Octavia with a glare and Vinyl with a cheeky smile. Then Octavia splashed Vinyl one more time.

Before long, they were floating down the river past Ponyville. “Well, this looks like our stop,” said Vinyl Scratch. The two fillies swam themselves to the river bank and pulled themselves out of the river.

As they both got on the bank Vinyl shook vigorously, sprinkling Octavia with more water, who gasped in surprise. After Vinyl finished shaking, all her fur and mane fluffed up to give her a fluffy appearance. Octavia quickly shook off as well, and after ending up as fluffy as Vinyl, she set about wringing out her bow tie and straightening out her mane.

“What’s up with that little bow tie anyway?” asked Vinyl Scratch.

Octavia looked over at Vinyl as she was working on her mane, and decided to answer honestly. I guess she deserves to know. Clearing her throat, Octavia began, “Well, it was my mother’s. She would always wear it when she was a filly, and it was a sign of being sophisticated. She of course grew out of it, but I decided I wanted to be just like her.”

“That’s the sweetest thing I’ve ever heard...” began Vinyl, tears beginning to form in her eyes.

“It’s not that sweet," Octavia started, but noticing that Vinyl was tearing up decided to get up and sit with her. Blushing slightly, she rubbed a hoof on Vinyl’s back. “Come now; no DJ I know tears up over marestuff like that.” Standing up and fixing her bow tie again, she looked at Vinyl. “Now, you said you wanted to go to Sugarcube Corner. Are you prepared for that, you little soft filly?” Reaching her hoof out to Vinyl she asked, “friends?”

Vinyl Scratch looked at Octavia, wiped away the last of her tears, put her hoof against Octavia's, and said, “Of course! I just have something I've got to ask you.”

Curiosity piqued, Octavia looked at Vinyl questioningly, ”Yes, what is it?”

“Wanna go into the Everfree Forest again!?!?!?” With that, Octavia sighed, facehoofed, and shook her head.

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading this chapter! If you're wondering (which probably none of you are), I did Vinyl Scratch's dialogue, and SandShift did Octavia's dialogue.
Also, in the Author's notes of every chapter, there will be songs that are "Vinyl Scratch's Pick" and "Octavia's Pick." Here is the first set of songs:
Vinyl Scratch's Pick:

Octavia's Pick: