• Published 29th Jan 2013
  • 1,513 Views, 187 Comments

Starlight - PurpleFire135



After an uprising against magic by the Pegasi and Earth Ponies, all unicorns- and all magic have ceased to exist. One spark of magic remains; in a young unicorn filly, the last of her kind. Starlight may be the key to returning magic to Equestria.

  • ...
6
 187
 1,513

Chapter Thirty

Epilogue

~3 Months Later~

You know, in stories, it’s always the end when the bad guy gets beaten. The heroes don’t have to go hide in the woods again while the world figures itself out, they just beat the baddies and they live happily ever after. I thought that was what it would be like when we defeated the Guard and fixed the sun, and brought the unicorn’s star-based magic back….

But that wasn’t really happened, of course. I’m starting to learn that real life is a lot more complicated than the stories I’ve read make it out to be. I never realized that when a hero goes on an adventure they actually could be scared, or that it was actually painful and sad sometimes. I guess that’s what makes a story a story. In the end, we didn’t really defeat the Guard. They’re still in power and the council still rules Equestria with a strong anti-magic fist.

It’s been three months since my star appeared in the sky and the sun went back to normal. We’ve built a new camp, centered around Fluttershy’s old home in the woods. Well, what was left of it anyway. It’s nice, even if we always have to worry about being found….

But, we’ve noticed something. The ponies of Equestria aren’t really so sure that they want to be lorded-over by the council anymore. There are rumors of dissent all across the nation, and new ponies join the resistance every day.

Every pony can see the sky, and every pony can see the symbol of our small, but crucial victory against the Guard. The new star, our only star, has become the mark of the resistance, a way to show to each other that we are on the same side. The resistance is getting very big, now that ponies are starting to see the destructive power of the Guard and the council.

We have new networks of spies all over, in cities as far and near, including the City and the Guard itself. Many of the Guard ponies that we fought that night either quit the Guard entirely or started working for us from the inside.

It’s not moving fast, and it’s going to take a long time before Equestria has true peace and harmony again. There is a lot of fear. But…there is also a lot of hope. It’s not much, but it is definitely a start. Who knows how it’s going to end up?

As for me, I don’t really care…well, at least not right now. I’m sure that I will someday, but for the first time in my life, I have a home, and even more importantly, I have a family. All of us are living in camp now, along with Apple Bloom and Zecora, and of course, all the other camp ponies, and a bunch of new recruits.

Applejack, after a long and lengthy working-it-out discussion, mainly with Rainbow, has taken the reigns of the resistance. She’s really good at getting stuff done and she never stops working once she has a goal in mind. On top of all that, she has more reason than most any of us to want to see the Guard destroyed for good, and now that her brother, Big Mac and her granny have moved into the camp, she doesn’t have to worry about the Guard using them against her anymore.

Pinkie has gone back to baking full time and is running the kitchens. She’s teaching me how to make cupcakes tomorrow. I’m really excited. I love cupcakes! I hope we can make strawberry ones, those are my favorite. Fluttershy is taking care of animals and ponies, just like she always has. She’s a lot happier now that she isn’t all alone in the woods…well, I have to assume she is. I sure am.

“Hey! Starlight, Apple Bloom and I are doing a perimeter check, wanna ride along?” Rainbow asks, breaking me out of my thoughts. I look around at the tent I’ve been sitting in, slowly realizing I’ve been staring off into space for some time.

“Equestria to Starlight! Come in Starlight!” Rainbow laughs. I shake my head and smile.

“Starlight reporting! A perimeter check sounds invigorating! I will arrive post-hast!” I joke. Rainbow gives me an exasperated look before joining in my laughing.

“Hey before we go can you get my goggles out of the drawer?” She asks as she flexes her wings.

“Sure.” I turn and lock the drawer handle in my magic and pull out the goggles, then float them over to her.

“Thanks! Well, come out when you’re ready.”

I look around our tent. Oh yeah! I forgot to mention! Rainbow has been letting me share a tent with her. I have my own little bed in the corner, and my own bookshelf right next to it. It’s cozy, and I love it.

…I never did tell Rainbow Dash about what Twilight said to me that night….I think it would complicate things. Rainbow, and of course the others, were Twilight’s closest friends, and they don’t even know she had a kid. I don’t know what happened back then for sure, and I don’t know why Twilight didn’t tell them, but I’m not going to go back on whatever reason she had…even if it doesn’t exist anymore. Besides, I am who I am, regardless of where I came from.

I don’t know how the other ponies in camp would react if I told them, that in addition to being the only unicorn alive, I’m the daughter of an alicorn princess. Yeah, it still sounds weird even to me.

“Starlight! Come on!” Apple Bloom yells from outside. I jump off the bed and run out the door flap into the brilliant sunlight over the camp. Rainbow and her new weather team have done wonders with keeping some of the Everfree weather in check lately.

I rush over and hop up on Rainbow’s back as she takes off into the sky. I don’t think I’ll ever really get used to flying, though I definitely like it better than the first few times I flew with Rainbow.

I look out at the camp spread below us. Apple Bloom and Big Mac have already started growing a natural wall around it, with even more complicated defenses this time around. The only real building is Fluttershy’s old cottage, but there are the foundations for several others around it. We may not have much, but, with any luck, this could be the start of a whole new Equestria…for every pony.

I smile and look up at the sky, the sun on one horizon, the moon on the other, and the star in the middle. We have a lot of work to do, but for me, I’m happy just where I am right now, especially since it took a whole lot of work to get here.

“Hold on tight!” Rainbow calls and swoops into a dive. I hold on and let out a whoop of pure joy. Yeah, I’m exactly where I’m supposed to be, with my family.

END

Author's Note:

Thanks so much for reading! That's all! It's been a year and three months since I first started this story and I can't actually believe I finished it. Thank you to everyone who read it, critiqued it, commented, liked and favorited Starlight.
Oh, and if anybody is curious, I have a blog post going up about my thoughts on the story and some of the background on how it was written. You can find it here: {Soon!} Don't feel obligated to read it or anything, I more wanted to write it for myself than anything else :D

Thanks again!
-PurpleFire Out!-

Comments ( 11 )

Hell of a ride, Purple. Thanks for spending so much time on this.

4302840 Heh heh! You aren't kidding! Thanks for staying on! :rainbowlaugh:

Thanks for the story! I really enjoyed it. I hope to hear more from you in the future. There's quite enough room for a sequel...

That was a great story! Thank you, I really enjoyed it!
Keep us informed of anything else you do related to this world because it was a lot of fun.

4335176 Thanks! I'm glad you liked it! And I will for sure do that! :D

Urgh...this came out in April? I was a month late...:fluttershyouch:

I've been really busy uploading my first story to FIMFiction, so that's why I got here so late. Really sorry about that.

For the review:
This story first attracted me because it was about kids actually not being complete wimps. I hate it when kids are horrible fighters and always have to be taken care of by the adults. So for the whole story, I thought it was really good! Starlight had a very interesting predicament facing her. She's come so far from the little homeless filly on the streets. Good job with the gradual character evolution.
When I first read this chapter, I was so sad when Starlight told us they had lost, but now that I've finished this story and have had a good time to look at this, I think it was a brilliant decision. The general audience was expecting Starlight to win, and honestly, I was wondering how in Equestria she was going to do it. But with making her lose, you surprised the reader, added a nice plot twist, and made way for a sequel!
You portrayed the Mane 6 very accurately, so, good job! :yay:
I think Starlight should of had a little more time on the streets, so we could have understood her daily schedule and the sudden change in her life wouldn't have been so sudden, but I could be wrong. This might have been a writing decision for the prequel (I'm pretty sure you said prequel, but if you never said that, then I've been reading too much fanfiction.) or, since I read the first chapters about half a year ago, you might have spent more time on this and I just totally missed it.
This was the first story that I've ever been brave enough to step up and edit. I've always been scared that the author might not accept my comment with the grammatical errors. Thank you so much for being so kind.
Speaking of errors, I only caught one in here:
"I will arrive post-hast!”
Hast should be haste.

I didn't get to see this story all the way from the start, but it was fun to help you. Thanks for allowing me to help. :twilightsmile:
-Snowfeather

4423328 Gosh, thank you so much! For all the editing and the brilliant review! You've been awesome! I agree with you totally, I wish I had spent more time on Starlight before all hell broke loose. I really do. I didn't at the time because I didn't really plan to have this story end up being this long. :twilightblush: I may go back and add a chapter or two, but between my summer fan-fic (just for fun!) and gearing up for the prequel, which, yes there is going to be one.
However, I'm having it focus on the Mane Six and Equestria during the Uprising and the fallout that lead to the Guard's regime. I was going to include this in the main story, but I had 20,000 words and counting dedicated to a flashback....so I decided to just make it it's own story :derpyderp1:
Again, thank you sooo much for editing for me. I really liked the way you did it too. Just showing up in the comments was awesome. I love it. Seriously, thank you. I have to admit, when I saw your comments popping up on each chapter, I was really renewed to do better on each new chapter, which at that point had become a chore of updating for me. I hate authors who leave stories and never come back!
So, yeah, I'm so glad you liked it! Come back for more! You know, if you want! :yay: Thanks again! and one more time! Thank you!

4423570 You're welcome. :twilightblush:
Good thing I'm not crazy and you were actually making a prequel. I'm excited for it!:pinkiehappy:
Thanks for allowing me to edit, and I'm now following for more epicness.

4424727 Thanks for the follow! :twilightsmile:

If you could make a prequel, that would be awesome! I would really look forward to it. Like, if you could dig a bit deeper on the past. I would be interested in seeing who the father is and her way of life before her adventure begins.
I was captivated by this, even though I'm a bit late.this had me at the edge of my seat, wondering what would happen next. Very interesting context. Thank you for this wonderful work of art.:coolphoto:

4644405 Thank you so much! Yeah, the prequel is in the works, but it's going to take place for the most part before Starlight is born. It has more to do with the uprising and the events leading to the world we see in this. However, Starlight's other parent is indeed revealed! :rainbowderp:

Login or register to comment