• Published 29th Jan 2013
  • 1,513 Views, 187 Comments

Starlight - PurpleFire135



After an uprising against magic by the Pegasi and Earth Ponies, all unicorns- and all magic have ceased to exist. One spark of magic remains; in a young unicorn filly, the last of her kind. Starlight may be the key to returning magic to Equestria.

  • ...
6
 187
 1,513

Chapter Two

Starlight’s heart sank. This pegasus knew her secret. The reason she wore a hat everywhere. The reason she was different. The reason that if she were ever caught by the police, the Guard, any pony, really; she would… Starlight couldn't even think of the horrible possibilities that could occur if her secret was ever found by any of those ponies. They would hurt her, or worse. In a land of earth ponies and pegasi she was a unicorn; and she knew that was not a good thing to be.

Ever since she was little, well, littler anyway, even before Starlight had left the orphanage she had known about the negative connotations associated with being a unicorn. She heard the whispers from the adults at the orphanage, she had seen the posters the Guard put up informing the public about the evils of magic and to report a unicorn immediately if you found one. They were known as evil creatures and it was the Guard’s job to protect the pegasi and earth ponies from their magic.

Starlight didn’t really see the big deal though; aside from herself she had never even seen another unicorn. If she didn’t look in the mirror every morning and see her own horn, she would have thought that unicorns didn’t exist and the Guard was spilling a bunch of hooey over nothing. However, she was living proof they existed, and she also proved the blather about the evils of unicorn magic really was a load of lies. She knew she wasn’t evil. It was just convincing any pony else of that; which was why she was so scared about this pegasus knowing.

“Please, please don’t tell any pony! Thank you so much for saving me; but, uh, I have to go now!” She hastily turned and began to run out of the alley they were in. She hoped that the blue pegasus would leave it at that. She would go home, pack up her stuff, find a new hiding spot and stay hidden for a while. She didn’t even look back, praying that she wouldn’t be followed. Starlight had just about reached the end of the alley when, in a sudden flash of rainbow mane the pegasus was in front of her.

“Whoa! Hang on there kid, where do you think you’re running off to so fast?” The dark pink eyes looked down at her. Starlight tried to just go around the pegasus, but either way she went, her path was blocked. “Just wait a second, okay?! I’m not going to hurt you or anything.” Starlight looked up, surprised.

“You’re not? But, but, you know what I am!” She blurted. Then she stopped and looked down. “I just want to go home.” Starlight continued, a little sadly.

“Hey, kid. Just let me at least make sure you make it home safe, okay? I don’t care what you are. I don’t believe any of that crap that the Guard spews out to every pony. Anyway, I’ll take you home. Wouldn't want to waste my awesome skills at saving you, would I?” The pegasus smiled. Starlight found herself oddly reassured. She felt, for some explainable reason that she could trust this pony.

However, it wasn't like she could show the pegasus her home. That would raise questions. Starlight didn't want her to know she lived alone; what if she wanted Starlight to go back to the orphanage? Things could get very sticky if she didn't find a way to get rid of this well-meaning, but troublesome pegasus. Starlight smiled back, hoping to dispel the pegasus’s worries about her traveling alone.

“Oh, I wouldn't want to trouble you… I can see myself home just fine, um, so I’ll just be going now…” She tried again to get around the pegasus. She was once again unsuccessful. The pegasus raised an eyebrow at her. “Well, if you insist.” Starlight sighed. She would have to think of something on the way.
The pegasus smiled. “I do insist.” They walked out of the alleyway together. “Oh! By the way, kid, I’m Rainbow Dash.”
“I’m Starlight.”
---

When they reached the edge of the City, Starlight stopped. The pegasus- Rainbow Dash looked down at her, not saying anything. Starlight began to feel even more uncomfortable. She had been unable to lose Rainbow Dash at every opportunity and nothing she had said had made the blue pegasus even think of leaving her alone to go home.

“Um, well, I live just out there… So thanks for, uh, taking me home…” She said and tried to edge her way towards the woods on the other side of the bridge.

“You live in the woods?” Rainbow Dash looked down at her skeptically, and then arched an eyebrow as if she knew something Starlight didn’t.

“Uh… Yes! I live in the woods with, uh, my family!… We, um, live in the woods… and I… I would show you our house, but, uh, I can’t! My family is, well, very secretive and they wouldn’t want you near the… house. So, really! Thank you and hope you have a safe, um, trip to your home!” Starlight was desperate at this point. She had never been a very good liar and this really was pushing her boundaries, she hoped the pegasus bought it. Rainbow Dash looked at her with a small frown on her face. Then, oddly, she sighed and then smiled. Starlight was very confused.

“Alright. That’s enough.” She flicked her rainbow mane out of her face and looked back down at Starlight.

“Enough of what?” Starlight asked innocently, but she had a feeling she knew exactly what the pegasus was getting at.

“Lying. Kid, I’m done beating around the bush. You live alone, don’t you? I suspect you probably ran away from wherever you were living. I came out here to give you the benefit of the doubt, but enough is enough. Where are you staying every night? I can’t just leave you out here alone.”

Starlight sighed and walked over to the bridge, slipping beneath in and looking up at the crack in the underside of the walkway. There seemed to be no way out of this mess and she was resigned to just tell the truth and hope the pegasus at least let her get her stuff before she was hauled back to the orphanage. She heard a pebble fall behind her and looked up to seen Rainbow Dash easing herself down under the bridge. Starlight sighed again before pointing to the crack.

“I live under the bridge. The middle support is hollow and this crack leads to it. I would show you but I don’t think you would fit.” Starlight explained and then sat down sadly. She really liked this spot. She was sad to leave it.

“Well, I wasn’t expecting that.” Rainbow Dash said, looking up at the crack. “I bet you’re the first pony to even notice this here. Rather smart if you ask me.” She continued and then smiled. Starlight did not return the smile. Then, as if realizing something, Rainbow Dash frowned.

“What?” Starlight asked moodily as a cold blast of wind hit them as it funneled under the bridge. Rainbow Dash’s frown deepened as she looked pointedly at Starlight’s hat.

“Oh, jeez, Kid. You’re in a heap of trouble out here by yourself, aren’t you?” Rainbow Dash’s tone of voice confused Starlight. It sounded more pitying than mean, which was what she had expected. Rainbow Dash looked around at the bridge. “Shoot.” She swore gently and closed her eyes, bringing a hoof up to her forehead, as if deep in thought and frustration.

“Can I get my stuff?” Starlight interrupted her train of thought.

Rainbow Dash looked up, “What?”

“Before you take me back to the orphanage?” She looked pleadingly at Rainbow Dash, who frowned.

“That’s where you ran away from?” Rainbow Dash asked and frowned deeper. “I’m not going to take you back there, you know.” She looked down at Starlight who tilted her head in confusion.

“Really?”

“No, not if you don’t want to go back there.” Rainbow Dash said. “Though, I can’t very well just leave you out here to fend for yourself.” She continued, with more conviction in every word she said, as if she had made up her mind about something. “You know what kid? I’ll give you a choice. I know how it is to be on my own; I was on my own when I was even younger than you are now, so I understand. I also understand you not wanting to go back to the orphanage.” Rainbow Dash said slowly and Starlight listened, still skeptical, but she remembered the feeling she had earlier; the feeling she could trust this blue pegasus, and she felt that feeling returning.

“I can leave you out here to your own devices. I promise not to say a word to any pony, especially not the Guard that you are here. That can be the end of it. I’ll go home and you can stay out here.” Starlight nodded, a bit of hope creeping back to her; she might make it out of this mess after all.

“Or, and I know you just met me today, and probably don’t trust me at all, you could come home with me.” Starlight stared at Rainbow Dash, open-mouthed. She looked up at the support in the bridge, then out at the sky.

“You promise not to tell any pony at all, no matter what, that I live here?” Starlight challenged Rainbow Dash and glared at her pointedly. Rainbow Dash sighed and said,

“I cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.” Rainbow Dash recited, completely serious.

“What?” Starlight was very confused.

“It’s a Pinkie Promise.” Rainbow Dash explained and then laughed. Her laugh was just the tiniest bit sad. Starlight was still confused.

“It means I promise; and nobody breaks a Pinkie Promise.” Rainbow Dash smiled. Starlight just stared at her. “Alright. I understand. I’m just glad you made it home safe tonight.” She turned to leave, flying up onto the bridge and disappearing from sight.

Starlight quickly pulled herself into the crack. She popped out in the hollow strut. She looked around, at all her belongings, the books, the blankets, everything. She focused her magic on the candle wick and after a few tense seconds it lit. She lay down in her blanket corner and took her hat off, pulling out the book from the night before as she did so. She flipped open to the first page and began reading.

After a few sentences, she realized she hadn’t comprehended anything she was reading. She closed the book and looked around again, a frown wrinkling her nose. There was something off about her hideaway that night. She just couldn’t put her hoof on it. Everything was there, everything in place, but it felt different; less cozy, less…like home. With a shock, Starlight realized what it was; it felt…lonely.

Starlight stood up as she realized her mistake. She quickly shoved her hat back on, grabbed the books from the important pile, her mirror, and her favorite blanket. She opened her saddle bags and crammed everything inside. Maybe if she was fast enough, Rainbow Dash would still be on her way back to the City. She squeezed through the crack and tumbled down under the bridge.

She expected to hit the ground hard, but for the second time that day, she landed on something soft, squishy and a little bit feathery.

“Hey Kid! If you’re going to come with me, you have to stop landing on me!” Rainbow Dash stood up and gently rolled Starlight off of her.

“What are you still doing here?!” Starlight asked, out of breath.

“Well, I almost left, but then I wanted to make sure everything was totally safe and you really didn’t want to come with me. I didn’t figure you would, but… Well, I just had this feeling that I wasn’t done here yet, um, if that makes sense. I guess it worked out that I did, huh?” Rainbow Dash stopped and backed up. “You know, if you want to and stuff. Doesn’t matter to me, I’m cool with whatever.” She backtracked, trying to feign indifference, leaning on the side of the bridge as she did so.

“Well, um, if you don’t mind. I thought I might like to come with you…” Starlight answered shyly.

“Cool.” Rainbow Dash said, then smiled hugely. “By the way, I live by myself, so I hope you don’t mind it just being you and me… I also don’t know for sure how long you can stay with me, but tonight, you absolutely are welcome. We can work more of this out in the morning.” Rainbow Dash tried to hide the happiness in her voice, but Starlight could tell, this pegasus was as lonely as she was and couldn’t believe the coincidences that had brought them together that day. They walked up to the road together and began walking back towards the City
---

“I live just around this corner. It’s a pretty small apartment, but you’re pretty small too, so it should be plenty of room for us both. You can have the couch. Don’t worry it’s comfy.” Rainbow Dash was telling her as they came to a street in the heart of the City’s downtown district. They came around the corner and immediately noticed the commotion around the building Rainbow Dash lived in.

There were Guard members everywhere. Rainbow Dash instinctively pushed Starlight behind her. She frowned as she heard the snippets of a conversation one of the Guard ponies was having with a civilian, her neighbor from across the hall. Luckily the Guard stallion was turned away from them.

“I’m looking for a Rainbow Dash. When was the last time you saw her?” The Guard asked the pale green mare.

“Well, she lives across the hall from me, I told you that already. Uh, she is usually home at this time of night, but I haven’t seen her since this morning when I left. When she does come back, you won’t miss her. She has a bright rainbow mane and tail and she is blue as the sky. Does that help? Why are you looking for her?”

“I am afraid that is strictly classified.” The stallion said, turning away from the green mare and towards Rainbow Dash and Starlight. Rainbow Dash grabbed Starlight and rushed into an alley next to the building.

Starlight began to panic, breathing quickly and talking even faster, “Oh, my gosh! I bet they saw me without my hat on earlier with you! I’m so sorry! I never meant for this! They’re after me! I…” Rainbow Dash cut her off, nervously looking towards the entrance to the alley. Starlight was still panicking, her breath getting faster and shallower, and her eyes growing wide. Rainbow Dash pulled her under her wing, trying desperately to calm her down.

“Shhh, it’s okay. It’s okay.” Starlight grew very still and quiet.

“I’m so sorry.” She said, feeling tears spring to her eyes. She couldn’t believe it, the first time she had opened up to somepony and they were paying for just being near her. She felt so guilty.

“Hey, Kid, it’s not your fault. This has nothing to do with you.” Rainbow Dash looked down at her.

“Huh?” Starlight was jolted out of her thoughts.

“They aren't here for you. They are here for me.” Rainbow Dash explained.