• Published 11th Jan 2013
  • 8,311 Views, 964 Comments

Violet Hill - TorontoFCBrony



A tragic love story, featuring Rainbow Dash and Soarin.

  • ...
25
 964
 8,311

Chapter 3: First Day of Training

"Oh Soarin... Yes... Oh yes... I like it with whipped cream on top." Rainbow Dash had a dream that night about baking a cake with Soarin. She woke up with a smile on her face. That smile quickly turned into a weirded out frown after she noticed that her bed sheets were wet. "Ewww, what is this?" she said out loud while lifting up her sheets. She looked over to the open window on her left to see that it was raining outside, which was rare for Cloudsdale, and some of the rain had gone through the open window and soaked her bed. "Why would it be raining up here? The weather factory in Cloudsdale only makes weather for the land," she said out loud while leaning on one hoof and staring out the window.

The weather was very gloomy outside, but at least it was not as cold as the day before. It was warm enough for rain, but just barely. When she stuck her arm out the window to feel the raindrops she could feel how cold they were. Since she was a weatherpony back in Ponyville, she could figure out that it was only about three degrees above freezing point. "Why?" she asked. "Why today? Why on my first day of training?"

Just then she received a knock on the door. She opened it to see Spitfire, who said, "Good morning, new recruit. How do you like the weather outside today?"

"It's a little weird that it is raining in Cloudsdale. I don't even remember it ever raining when I grew up here," Rainbow Dash replied.

Spitfire said in reply, "Well, I'm actually here to tell you that the weather outside is specifically for you. We made the weather factory produce some rain for the area. You're going to meet Soarin on the roof to begin your first day of training for shows. You will have to perform in many different climates when you finish training, and that includes even in horrible weather."

"That's pretty cool actually. I feel pretty special, especially considering you guys changed the weather just for me. I must be pretty awesome," Rainbow said with a little bit of cockiness.

Spitfire said harshly, "Don't get ahead of yourself. The best qualities of a worker in training is their ability to listen, learn, and admit they don't know everything. If you are willing to do that, as well as deal with a little bit of embarrassment from your mistakes, you'll become a fine Wonderbolt. Go up to the roof. Soarin is waiting for you in this rain. You will train for a little bit and then come downstairs for your first breakfast with us." Spitfire then left to go finish some other work that she had to do. A good portion of her work was signing posters and pictures for the team's many fans.

Rainbow Dash went to her dresser to put on her Wonderbolts uniform. It slipped on really nicely, just as it did the first time. The suit was a natural fit for her, just like the job that came with it. She put the goggles on her eyes and flew out of her window and into the rain. The rain was bitterly cold, but Rainbow knew she needed to prepare herself for any kind of weather. She braved the cold and made it up to the roof of the cloud headquarters.

On the roof she could see all of Cloudsdale, including the stadium where she won the Best Young Flyer competition a few years ago; the time she made her first impression to the Wonderbolts. She landed on the soft and puffy grey roof. Soarin was standing there in his suit with his goggles over his head. He was already soaked just from waiting up there for a few minutes. "I'm really sorry if you were waiting long, Soarin," Rainbow said.

Soarin replied after shaking his mane to clear some water away, "No worries, Rainbow. We're only going to train in the rain for one day. It's actually very hard for the weather factory to continue to produce rain for Cloudsdale due to the needs of all the other towns across the kingdom. So let's get started and not waste any time." He walked over to the edge of the roof and nodded over to Rainbow to let her know that she was supposed to join him over there. He then described what they were going to do next. "What you need to prepare for is high speeds in horrible weather. Today there is cold rain and heavy winds. Do you see the clock tower over there?" Soarin pointed over to the clock tower that was made of cloud, of course, and continued, "We're going to race there and back. However, it won't be in a straight line. You will have to dive all the way down to as close to the ground as possible, and then pull straight up. Then you can continue flying to the tower. You spin around the tower and fly straight back here as fast as you can. You ready?" Rainbow saluted in agreement.

"Of course I'm ready." With the spread of his wings, Soarin indicated that they were about to take off. Rainbow spread her wings as well, grinning.

Soarin put his goggles back on his eyes and said, "Ready... set... go!"

The two pegasi shot like lightning straight down towards the ground. The wind and cold rain hit Rainbow hard as she descended. She picked up more and more speed. Her face was showing the struggle she had against the elements. Looking over at Soarin, she could see that he was simply smiling at the joy of flying. He was used to conditions like these and high speeds. Rainbow picked up so much speed that her cheeks went back due to the g-force. The ground was only a few seconds away. Soarin was pulling ahead, but only by a few feet. By the time Rainbow had reached the closest point to the ground as possible, she pulled up. A sudden, ear-piercing noise accompanied with a rainbow shockwave flew across the air just above the ground. The force from it melted the snow that was underneath where it happened. Rainbow Dash looked back to see a rainbow coming from her mane and tail. She had just performed her fifth ever sonic rainboom. She shot up against the rain and raced her way towards the clock tower. Soarin was now behind her, but Rainbow had not even noticed. She spun around the tower, and glided across the sky back to the roof of the headquarters.

Upon landing her feet on the soft roof, Dash panted and gasped for air. She looked back at what she had just accomplished, and it was beautiful. After a few seconds of catching her breath, Soarin landed. Rainbow had won the race by a longshot.

Soarin looked over at the rainbow that came from Rainbow's backside. He looked in awe, and said, "I was told about the time that you saved me and the others. I was knocked out for the whole thing. This... this is truly amazing. It's a little early to say, but you may very well be the best flyer I have ever seen." He took of his goggles and glanced over at the mare who had just performed the amazing rainboom. Rainbow took off her goggles and shook her head from left to right. Her mane was lowered down due to the wetness. She gave Soarin a stare that was irresistible. It was a sexy stare because of the water in her mane, yet it was natural and unforced. Just the sight of it made Soarin tense up a little bit. He was still at a loss for words. "Rainbow Dash, you- you are really amazing."

"You really think so? You really think that I am amazing?" the wet female pegasus asked him.

"You truly are. You're gonna go far, kid," he said while putting his hoof on her back. Rainbow could not tell if this was a friendly or a flirtatious gesture.

"Can we go inside now? I'm really hungry and wet," Rainbow said to the stallion who still had his arm on her back.

"Yeah, I think it is about time to eat, actually," he responded. He took a glance over to the clock tower. "Yep, it's time. Hopefully they have pie."

"Pie for breakfast?" Rainbow Dash asked with a little bit of disgust. The two shared a laugh, and then looked each other in the eyes for a few seconds. Rainbow added, "Yeah... I'm hungry. Let's get out of here."

They flew down to the main doors, shook themselves off, and entered in. They made their way to the dining room, side by side.

This was Dash's first time in the dining room. There was a large cloud table with about ten chairs, and double doors to the kitchen where the staff made the wonderful meals. Spitfire was sitting at the head of the table. Beside her along the sides were Fleetfoot and Rapidfire, who were two other members of the Wonderbolts, and a few more senior members of the staff. The two seats beside Spitfire and across from Fleetfoot and Rapidfire were reserved for Rainbow and Soarin.

After the two got settled in, Spitfire welcomed and began to speak. "We would like to warmly welcome the newest member of the Wonderbolts, Miss Rainbow Dash." All of the ponies at the table clopped their hooves for the newest member. Rainbow gave them all a cute smile in return. She liked the attention. She always did. But she didn't want to show it yet. Spitfire continued, "She will be training with Soarin and will join us for her first show, which will be in Canterlot in late March. Rainbow, we hope you enjoy your time here. Get to know everypony and make this place your new home."

Rainbow did not know what to say at this point. She was so overwhelmed by how greatly she was treated from the moment she stepped through the doors. She scratched her head and said, "Hey, thanks guys. I really feel welcomed here. I feel like I am a member of a family. Even though coming here was a dream of mine for as long as I can remember, I still was worried. I was worried because I did not want to leave my friends and my Ponyville life behind and be disappointed. But you guys have made me feel so good that I don't regret my decision at all."

Spitfire added, "Rainbow, I forgot to tell you. You can have visitors here at any time. If you have any mail to send to your friends back home, all you have to do is give it to me and I will send it for you with no questions asked."

Just then, the staff from the kitchen came out with breakfast. There was a plate made for each pony sitting at the table. A purple female pegasus in an apron came by and placed a plate of food down in front of Rainbow. It had pancakes with syrup from the trees outside of Manehattan, fried potatoes, French toast, and a muffin. It also came with a glass of orange juice. "Enjoy," the server pony said to Rainbow.

And enjoy she did. Rainbow was starving after training so early in the morning. She slammed her face into the food and devoured it as fast as she could. She then drank the whole glass of orange juice in one swig. But only after she finished every drop did she think about how embarrassing she must have just looked in front of the others. She looked over at Soarin, who was face down in a blueberry pie. He lifted his head up and looked back at Rainbow. His face was almost completely purple, along with the scraps of other things stuck to his mouth and cheeks. He and Rainbow shared a chuckle at their embarassment. Spitfire just rolled her eyes with a smile. Dash truly had made herself at home, and was showing it early.

After the breakfast was over, Soarin took Rainbow back out to the roof for some more training. They practiced synchronised flying in the rain and what to do in an emergency situation. They were having far too much fun to even realise that they had been practicing for hours. They had skipped lunch and dinner by accident.

Rainbow Dash looked over at the clock tower to see that it was now eight in the evening. "Hey, what happens if we miss meals? Do we get in trouble?" she asked Soarin.

"No, it's up to each member to do what they want to here. The only things that are mandatory are our performances, training, and always treating our fans and teammates with respect," Soarin informed Rainbow while putting a hoof on her back once again. "Let's go get some food from the kitchen. We've practiced enough for today." Dash had no complaints with that suggestion.

The two of them went to the kitchen and grabbed themselves some of the food that the staff usually sets up for occasions like this, when Wonderbolts were hungry late in the night. Soarin grabbed another pie while Rainbow made herself a veggie sandwich with flowers and salad. They walked down the quiet hallway back to Rainbow's room.

"I had a wonderful time today, Soarin." Rainbow said while looking up at the stallion. "I hope tomorrow will be just as good as today."

Soarin looked back down at the mare. "I promise you it will be," he said. He kissed her on the cheek and wished her a good night.

Rainbow smiled while holding her cheek and watching Soarin walk back down the hallway into his room, his muscular flank moving with every step. She entered her own room, closed the door, and put down her sandwich on the dresser. She stood over her bed with her hooves out and allowed gravity to let her fall onto it.

"What an awesome day," she said out loud. It was only her first full day of training, but she could feel a special connection to Soarin. After eating her sandwich, she fell asleep with the stallion on her mind. She could not wait to see what wonders the next few days would bring her.