• Published 11th Jan 2013
  • 8,286 Views, 964 Comments

Violet Hill - TorontoFCBrony



A tragic love story, featuring Rainbow Dash and Soarin.

  • ...
25
 964
 8,286

Chapter 4: Violet Hill

Dear Dashie,

It has been a few weeks since you joined the Wonderbolts. We still have not heard from you, and that makes me sad! Twilight keeps telling me not to bother you, but I really want to know how things are. Things are so boring here without you. Applejack says 'hi, sugarcube.' Rarity wants to know how the decor is in your new place, whatever that means . Fluttershy really misses you. You are her oldest friend and you really mean a lot to her. OH LOOK! COTTON CANDY! Please write back soon. Five bits? Get outta here!

Love,
Pinkie Pie

--------------------------------------

Three weeks had passed since Rainbow had arrived in Cloudsdale to join the Wonderbolts. Those weeks went by in a blur. Rainbow got to celebrate Hearth's Warming Eve with Soarin and the other Wonderbolts, as well as the New Year. It was now early in January. Reading this letter brought feelings of both sadness and happiness, followed by laughter. She knew that Spike must have been writing for Pinkie, and he wrote down every word she said. Pinkie was always all over the place.

At this time Rainbow and Soarin had obvious lust for each other, but neither of them were willing to make the first move. Rainbow never came out and told Soarin she liked him; Soarin never asked her out. After receiving the letter from Pinkie, Rainbow's emotions were a little stronger today than usual.

Rainbow's room was starting to look more like home. She bought a couch, a coffee table, and a flat screen television, which were rare in Equestria because of how expensive they were. They were all made out of natural materials mixed in with cloud so that they could stay in the building without falling through the floor.

Even though she was only in training she was still making more money than she ever did back in Ponyville. But something was missing- something that was very special to her. It was her friends. She missed the laughs. She missed the hugs. She missed the adventures.

Contrasting emotions went through the young mare's head. She was happy where she was now but she was also sad about what she lost.

Trying to take her mind off of the emotions, Rainbow went to the window to look at the weather. She was unsure of what training lay ahead on this day. The sky was beautiful, without even a single cloud in the sky. The sun was rising, and it was displaying beautiful hues of orange, red, pink, and light blue. The temperature was warmer than the previous days of the week.

A knock at the door took the mare's attention away from the window. Rainbow let out a quiet sigh, but not out of frustration or annoyance. It was just a sigh due to routine. She didn't feel like doing normal training today. Today she wanted something different; something special. She needed something to lift her spirits to get out of a funk she felt she was getting into. "Just a minute," she shouted out, trying to sound happy.

She walked over to her mirror, made herself presentable, and then walked over to open the door; the same routine as every other day so far.

"Mornin', Rainbow Dash," said Soarin, who was smiling brighter than usual. He was wearing his Wonderbolt suit, as he usually did when coming to Rainbow's room every morning.

"Oh, hey," was the mare's only response. She looked down at her hooves and gave a little kick with her front hoof. She really did not have anything that she wanted to say on this day.

"What's wrong?" Soarin asked with a voice of concern. He proved to be a really sweet and caring stallion when needed to be.

Rainbow picked her head up from looking at the floor and looked the stallion right in the eyes. "I just... I don't know. It's hard to explain. I still miss everypony in Ponyville, but I also feel like today I'm just in a rut. You know what I mean?"

Soarin put a hoof on her cheek to comfort her, and kept it there softly while he said, "I know exactly how you feel. I felt the same way when I came here. I felt like, well... maybe the time isn't right. C'mon, I want to take you somewhere special today. We can train another day."

"Okay," Rainbow Dash said with a new and happy smile. "Let me just grab something first."

"Get some winter clothing on too," Soarin reminded her. "I'm going to change out of my suit. I'll meet you at the front doors in a few minutes." He then left and closed the door for Rainbow to get ready.

The mare went over and changed into her winter clothing. She had bought a new wardrobe here in Cloudsdale. Rarity would be impressed at Rainbow's sense of style. Rainbow Dash always dressed in style, even though she would hate to admit it. She put on her blue winter coat that was made of cotton on the inside, a red scarf, and an orange winter hat. She decided not to wear boots or anything else to cover her hooves at this time. She figured that she was used to the cold by now. She also grabbed one other thing: her letter from Pinkie Pie. She somehow just felt the need for the letter to be with her on this day. It made her felt like she was still at the place she used to call home. She folded it and put it in her coat pocket.

She met Soarin at the front doors. He was wearing just a brown winter coat. "You look lovely, Rainbow," Soarin said to the mare.

"Thanks. You don't look too bad yourself," she responded while eyeing him up and down.

"So the place I am going to take you is somewhere special," Soarin said to the mare. "It's a place that I discovered when I was wandering about alone a few years ago. It's a place where... well... I'll tell you more about it we get there. Follow me."

The two of them stepped outside, spread their wings, and took to the air. Soarin led them below the cloud line. He and Rainbow flew side by side over the plains of the area. It was a truly beautiful sight. The ground was completely covered by white, untouched snow. The trees were frozen with the snow on the leaves. It was truly a winter wonderland.

"Soarin, is this what you wanted to show me? Because it's truly beautiful," Rainbow Dash said while looking at the beautiful winter spectacle in front of her eyes.

"It truly is, isn't it?" Soarin replied. "However, this isn't what I wanted to show you. We'll get there in a few minutes."

The two blue pegasi kept flying over the land for a few moments more. Soarin pointed over to a place that was just in the distance. When the two got closer Rainbow was able to see that it was a small hill in an otherwise flat area. It had one large tree on the top of the hill that had lost all of its leaves for the winter.

The two of them spread their wings to slow down and land softly on the top of hill, just under the tree. Rainbow looked around at the beautiful landscape. There was not another pony or even a building in sight. She could see Cloudsdale in the sky in the distance in front of her. Over to her left were the mountains and the city of Canterlot at the edge, many kilometres away with only plains in front of it. It was truly a breathtaking sight.

"Soarin, this place is beautiful," she said to him. "You can see everything. And it's so quiet! How in Equestria did you find it?"

Soarin responded, "It's actually a very long story. We should go lay down under the tree and enjoy moment. I'll tell you another time."

The two of them went over to the tree. Rainbow turned around and laid down forward, facing the area where Cloudsdale was. Soarin came over and laid down right up against her. It was a cold day, but the two felt a true warmth when they were beside each other. They both looked out over the area for a few seconds, without even saying a word. It was a moment that didn't need any words.

Later on, Soarin asked her, "Rainbow, what was bothering you today? You just didn't seem yourself."

Rainbow took out the letter from Pinkie that was in her pocket. "I received a letter from my friends back home. I really miss them, and I still don't fully know if I made the right decision in coming here. It's hard to explain."

"Can I see the letter?" Soarin asked the mare lying down beside him. She agreed and handed it over to him. He read it out loud, "'Dear Dashie,' hmm... Dashie. That's beautiful. Can I call you that?" Rainbow nodded her head with a smile. Soarin smiled back at her and continued to read the letter in his head. After he was done, he looked over at the mare against him and said, "Wow, Dashie. You must be so happy to have such a close group of friends. I can see why it's hard to let them go to pursue your dream."

"Well, what can I do to feel better?" Rainbow asked him.

"I'm not too sure, Rainbow. Only time will tell. You will need to find something that makes you truly happy," he told her. The two of them cuddled up against each other in a few more seconds of silence. Soarin gulped due to a little bit of nervousness. He then said, "I think it's time that I tell you the story of this place, actually."

Rainbow leaned up even closer to him. She was now under his chin, looking up at him with wide, eager eyes and a beautiful, natural smile. Soarin smiled back at her, and then looked off into the distance.

The stallion continued, "Back when I first joined the Wonderbolts, I also missed the life I left behind. I left friends and family. Even though they all supported me and I would go to visit them, I still never felt at home. I guess that's how you feel now. However, I fell in love with a mare who was also a member here. The Wonderbolts were my dream growing up, but she was my new dream. We dated for a few months."

"Aw, that's sweet," Rainbow replied in happiness for Soarin, but felt a pit in her stomach, worrying that he was still interested in this other mare, and not her.

"Well," Soarin continued, "I wanted to marry her, but the mare I knew and fell in love with started to get too into the job. She started to care more about the job than me, and when I pointed that out to her, she dumped me, saying that I didn't care about her or her dreams. I was crushed. I took a few weeks off and wandered Equestria to find a special place that only I knew about; a place where I can just think to myself. That was when I found this place. I called it Violet Hill. It was the springtime, and this place was blooming with beautiful violet flowers. The tree is actually a cherry blossom tree, and it was in full bloom with a beautiful shade of pink. This was the perfect place. It's a place where I can just be with myself with my thoughts. Since then, if I have ever been worried, nervous, sad, or even happy I would come here and just think and look at the scenery. I never thought I would show anypony this place. That is, however, until I met you."

He looked down to the mare. Their eyes met. Rainbow was feeling on top of the world at this point. They leaned in closer to each other, until finally their lips touched. It was Rainbow's first ever kiss.

After their lips detached they opened their eyes and stared at each other for a few seconds. Rainbow said in a quiet voice to the stallion that just took her breath away, "Soarin, my dream was to become a Wonderbolt. I... I think you're my new dream."

"And you are mine," Soarin said in reply.

Rainbow had thoughts and hopes that Soarin liked her, and this day proved those to be true. Rainbow had finally found a stallion to be called her own. She finally had her own coltfriend.

--------------------------------------

The two of them cuddled against each other for most of the afternoon, telling stories to each other. Even though Rainbow was not in Cloudsdale at this time, she felt like she was on cloud nine with Soarin.

Soarin later took her to Canterlot for a five-star meal at the Canterlot Gardens restaurant for dinner. During the meal was when Rainbow told Soarin all about her time in Ponyville. She told him about each of her friends, about her adventures, and about the times she helped save Equestria. Soarin hardly said anything. He didn't have to. Rainbow was so happy she was talking almost non-stop. She felt so comfortable with him and trusted him enough to even tell him everything on her mind.

They stood at a balcony in Canterlot to watch the sun set, with its beautiful colours shining across the sky. Rainbow leaned in and put her face against Soarin's cheek.

When the sun had gone down and nighttime fell upon them, the two decided to fly back to the headquarters. Soarin walked Rainbow all the way to her door. Rainbow, with one hoof on the door handle, said to Soarin, "This was the best day of my life. Thank you so much. Thank you for- for everything."

Soarin gave her a quick peck on the lips. "I guess I should be going now."

Just then Rainbow stuck her leg out to stop Soarin from leaving. "Soarin... I don't want this night to end. I think we can find something to do inside." She blushed a little bit. Soarin blushed too. He decided to come inside.

They took off their winter clothing and sat down on the bed. "So... what do you want to do?" Rainbow asked while acting rather perky.

"I think we can find something fun to do," Soarin said while winking.

"I know just the thing," Rainbow said after bouncing on the bed in excitement. "We can play Equestrian Arts Hoofball 2013! Or, oh! We could also play Mare-io Kart!"

"Oh Rainbow, you're so innocent. It's adorable. I was thinking of doing something a little more... adult," he said while leaning her down and planting a passionate kiss on her lips.

--------------------------------------

The sound of the birds of Cloudsdale and the sun shining on her eyes made Rainbow Dash wake up the next morning. Beside her was the stallion that made her dreams come true. "Good morning, Soarin," she said to him.

"Mornin', Dashie," he said in response with a grin.

Soarin had given Rainbow a day she would never forget. Rainbow now had somepony to call her own. She now had a new dream, and a new reason to stay here as a member of the Wonderbolts.