• Published 11th Jan 2013
  • 8,301 Views, 964 Comments

Violet Hill - TorontoFCBrony



A tragic love story, featuring Rainbow Dash and Soarin.

  • ...
25
 964
 8,301

Chapter 12: Lovers in Equestria

Rainbow spent the next two weeks living in Twilight's house with her. Those two weeks proved to be very enjoyable, and it was a good distraction from the horror going on around the world. Ponyville was a nice and quiet place during this time of distress, as it was untouched compared to the bigger Equestrian cities, which were much more affected from the war. Manehattan and Fillydelphia suffered attacks from Saddle Arabia, and ponies from the other major cities were conscripted into the army, while Ponyville life just went on as usual. That was one of the advantages of that small town.

This day, however, was one of the most important days in Rainbow's young life. Today was the day that she was asked to meet Soarin back at Violet Hill, because the next day he was to leave on the ship aboard for Saddle Arabia. This was the last full day with her coltfriend for three long, frightening months.

Her five friends came over early in the morning to prepare her for the big day. They weren't quite sure what was in store for Rainbow on this day, but they knew that it must be big. It was the last day she'd see Soarin for months, after all. They prepared her by styling her mane nice and wavy, which was an unusual but more attractive look to her. She put on a short white summer dress with blue flowers on it, which stopped at her hips. Ponies only wore clothes on special occasions, after all. Something about them wearing clothing made all those occasions a little more special.

Rarity made sure that everything was perfect. "Darling, are you sure you have everything you need?" the fashionable pony asked the colourful pegasus.

"Um... I think so," Rainbow responded while looking in her side bag that she was going to bring.

"Oh Rainbow, you simply must bring protection," Rarity reminded her.

"Protection? What do you mean by that?" Rainbow asked her with a confused look.

Rarity brought over an umbrella and said, "Just in case it rains you can use this to stay dry." She put the umbrella in Rainbow's side bag.

Rainbow was finally ready to leave. It took the whole morning, but her friends prepared her for the big day. They each gave her a big hug, and she was off to fly to Violet Hill.

It was one of the most beautiful days of the year. The summer sun shined down hard, but the light breeze was enough to keep it at a perfect temperature. The wind blew softly on Rainbow's mane as she made the flight over the untouched fields of Equestria and towards the special place, where Soarin was already waiting war eagerly for her, having not seen her for quite a few days.

The weather was so pristine that Rainbow was even wondering why she brought an umbrella in the first place. As she flew she looked down to the ground to see the large shadow she made on the green fields below. As she approached the special place, she looked down on the ground and saw Soarin lying down patiently underneath the cherry blossom tree on top of the small hill. The flowers in the fields around the hill was a beautiful sight from up high.

Rainbow made her descent towards Soarin. He looked up and saw Rainbow coming down like an angel from heaven. Her mane and her summer dress blew in the light breeze as she landed beside him.

"Hello, my dear," Soarin said as Rainbow took a few steps towards him.

"Hi," Rainbow said flirtatiously to the stallion she hadn't seen for two weeks, which was the longest she has gone without seeing him since they started dating. She put her bag down against the tree.

"I missed you, Rainbow. The last two weeks were difficult to get through without you," Soarin told her.

Rainbow walked over and laid down against him. The two laid down while facing forward and looking at the beautiful fields in front of them. "I missed you too, Soar. It's nice to be with my friends in Ponyville again, but things are just different now. When I'm with them I still find myself missing you," Rainbow said.

"Same here," Soarin agreed. "The last two weeks were hard for me. I had to train for battle while thinking of you the entire time; every single moment. I couldn't stop thinking of you, and I know I won't be able to keep my mind off you the whole time I'm overseas."

"Aww, Soarin, you really know how to make a filly happy!" Rainbow said. Sitting beside him, she felt like a young schoolfilly. The butterflies in her stomach that she first had when she met him were now gone, and they were replaced with feelings of pure joy and love. She loved him with her whole being.

The two of them spent the next little while looking at the clouds pass by in the beautiful Equestrian summer sky. The breeze slowly pushed them across the blue sky above them. Rainbow and Soarin gazed in each other’s eyes while lying down. It was another one of those moments where words were not needed. Just being together made the moment perfect.

"Hey, do you see that cloud?" Rainbow asked while pointing to one of the many spaced out clouds.

"I think I know which one you're talking about. It looks like two ponies holding hooves, doesn't it?" he asked.

"Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking," Rainbow said.

The two of them gazed at more and more clouds as the time went by. Time on this day went by very slowly, but that was just fine with the two lovers in the field.

"Dashie, I don't know how things are over there in Saddle Arabia," Soarin brought up. "I fear that it will be really dangerous. I will keep on fighting, not for Equestria, but for survival, and the chance to see your beautiful face again."

Rainbow blushed while looking at him. She then looked down and said, "You don't even know how nervous I am for you, Soar. I'm also nervous for myself. I don't know how I'll be able to carry on with my life knowing every day can be your last."

Soarin, now reaching his arm over the mare's shoulders and stroking her mane, tried to reassure her, saying, "Dashie, I'll survive simply because I need to live the rest of my life with you. I don't plan on dying any time soon."

Rainbow had a half smile on her face. "But without you everything will just be meaningless. Even though it's only for a few months, they'll feel like years to me. Day to day living will just be boring and dull."

"I think you can survive the few months without me, you're a strong mare," Soarin told her.

A few more minutes passed. Rainbow continued to look at the clouds. "Hey, what does that cloud remind you of?" Rainbow asked while pointing at another cloud.

"Hmm, that is actually a pretty cool cloud. It looks like two ponies gazing into each other’s eyes at a dinner table or something," Soarin observed.

"Yeah, you know, it kinda looks like us the time we went to the Cloud Ten restaurant. But that's just me, to you it could look like something else," Rainbow said.

"You know, I can agree with you on that one," Soarin said with a smile.

"You know, Soarin, lying down here with you, just watching the clouds, I don't think I can find anything I would like to do more," Rainbow said while looking over to the stallion.

"Dashie, I can't think of anything else either," Soarin agreed.

"This is what I'll miss. I'll miss the times where we can just relax together. For every moment that you're gone I'll be worried until I see your face again," Rainbow informed him lovingly.

Soarin smiled as he looked back at her. "Hey, what does that cloud look like to you?" he asked her while pointing to yet another cloud.

"Hmm... It looks like two ponies hugging to me. One is a shorter mare and one is a taller stallion. It looks a little like us when we hugged after the hoofball game a few weeks ago," Rainbow observed.

Soarin looked down at her, and she looked back to him. "How can you think of all that just from one cloud?" he asked her.

"I don't know. I guess I see you in everything I look at," she replied.

The two of them leaned in for a quick kiss on the lips. They stared each other in the eyes for a few seconds.

Soarin looked up to the sky and quickly had one of the biggest smiles he's ever had. "What are you all happy about?" Rainbow asked jokingly. She looked up to see a cloud formation.

"And what do those clouds look like, Rainbow?" Soarin asked her, even though he knew what she would say.

Rainbow said while looking at the clouds, clearly spelling something out, "It says, 'Dashie, will you mar-'" She couldn't even finish the sentence that the clouds spelled out to her. She looked back at Soarin with a face of shock. Soarin held in his hooves a dark blue case.

"Dashie... will you marry me?"

Soarin opened the small case to reveal a large ring that would go over Rainbow's hoof. It had a large diamond on it. Rarity would have fainted if she saw it.

Rainbow looked at the ring, and then at Soarin. She then looked back at the ring to make sure what she saw actually just happened. Looking back at Soarin, she stared at him in the eyes. After closing hers for a second, she opened them, revealing that they were watery from tears of happiness. "Of course I'll marry you," she said.

Soarin grabbed the ring and put it on Rainbow's left hoof. Rainbow was almost shaking in excitement. In fact, she bounced up and down a few times in place. "Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, I can't believe that just happened!" she exclaimed out of sheer joy and happiness.

"That did just happen, Rainbow, and I couldn't be any happier," Soarin informed her.

Rainbow asked excitedly, "Did you arrange the whole thing? The whole cloud formations and all?"

Soarin nodded his head and pointed back to the clouds. Rainbow looked up to see Fleetfoot and Rapidfire waving back to them while on the clouds. The two on the ground waved back at them.

"Soar, I don't even know what to say," Rainbow told him. She looked down at the ring, and then back into his eyes. She bit her bottom lip with her teeth.

Soarin leaned in and wrapped his forelegs around her. “You don’t need to say anything,” he said while gazing into her eyes. He leaned in to kiss her, and she returned the kiss passionately. They kissed a number of times while switching positions with their mouths. It was a moment that Rainbow wished would last forever.

Fleetfoot and Rapidfire initially smiled at the love shown between the couple. They knew that they did their job, and they left to let the couple do theirs.

--------------------------------------

Rainbow and Soarin watched the sunset together while lying up against each other. Rainbow’s mane at this point was completely messy compared to when she had it styled earlier, but that didn't matter to her. She had a perfect moment with Soarin, and she wanted this day to last forever. She was now engaged to the stallion she loved.

The sunset was magical on this night. The sun was massive on the horizon as it went lower and lower. The sky radiated with many different colours and shades of orange, red, pink, and light blue. The breeze blew and picked up pedals from the tree and flowers. The pedals danced and blew all around them.

The two remained cuddled up against each other until the night came along. That was when Soarin reminded Rainbow that they would be staying at the Canterlot Hotel for the night, the only five-star hotel in the kingdom.

The two of them spread their wings and took to flight in the night sky. They flew up the mountain and into the city of Canterlot. Canterlot was abuzz on this night. As they flew over the brightly lit streets they could see ponies everywhere enjoying themselves and having a good time. It was a surprise to Rainbow, who thought that the streets would have been empty due to the war. But she realised that the ponies in Canterlot were rich and famous and were probably not even asked to go to war.

The two of them landed in front of the hotel that was just across the street from the castle. Soarin cleaned up Rainbow’s mane so that it looked a little more presentable for them to go into the elite building. They got their room key and complimentary bottle of cider and went up to their room on the top floor.

As Soarin slid in the room card key, Rainbow pushed the door open and ran inside excitedly. The room had a large bathroom with a jacuzzi bath tub, a king sized bed in the middle of the room facing a large flat screen television, and the room ended with a floor to ceiling sliding glass door that led to the large balcony. Rainbow ran outside and leaned on the parapet wall of the balcony, looking out to the streets of Canterlot, and in the distance she could see some of the furthest parts of Equestria.

She looked over on the horizon and she could see the lights coming from the Crystal Empire, which was going to host the Equestria Games a year from then. Rainbow remembered when she was with her father waiting for the announcement back in Cloudsdale when she was a filly. Sadly, the Equestria Games was never held in Cloudsdale, and her father was never able to go to see any of the games in any other city. Rainbow vowed that she would go see it one day, and in two years she’d be able to take her soon to be husband, Soarin.

Rainbow turned around to see Soarin holding the bottle of cider and two glasses in his hooves. He stared at her happily. “Let’s have a drink to celebrate a wonderful day,” he suggested.

He served Rainbow a glass of the smooth cider. Upon drinking it, her eyes opened wide. It was the most delicious and smooth cider she had ever tasted in her life. Rainbow gasped for air as she drank the whole glass in one swig. “More please,” she said as she lowered her cup from her mouth and showed it to Soarin.

“Whoa, hold on there Dashie, we need to save it for the rest of the night too,” Soarin told her.

“Well, what are we going to do now?” Dash asked.

“Well, we’re a young couple in a romantic hotel, what else can we do?” Soarin asked rhetorically.

“Order room service?!” Rainbow said excitedly. Soarin chuckled at the burst of excitement from the mare.

Both of them ordered an expensive salad and sandwich to eat on the bed while watching television. The two of them watched a playoff game from the Equestrian Basketball League, which surprisingly continued even though they had talks of cancelling the season due to the war. The league mentioned that fans needed something to be happy about and distract them from the suffering in the world, so they allowed the season to continue after a short delay, where only a few games were postponed. It was game one of the finals, and the Vanhoover Grizzlies were hosting the Las Pegasus Lakers. Both teams held a moment of silence for the victims of the attacks in Fillydelphia and Manehattan.

At half time, Rainbow and Soarin decided to share a drink together together in their jacuzzi bath tub. They clinked their glasses, full of cider once again, and drank it together as the jets pushed the bubbly water against them.

After they were done in the bath, they dried off. At this point it was already late, and they knew that they needed to wake up early to be at the ship before it left the next morning. They fell asleep in each other’s grasp on the bed. It was a perfect day for the young couple, one that made up for not seeing each other for the next few months.