• Published 11th Jan 2013
  • 8,281 Views, 964 Comments

Violet Hill - TorontoFCBrony



A tragic love story, featuring Rainbow Dash and Soarin.

  • ...
25
 964
 8,281

Chapter 6: Apology

Rainbow’s first show was a month away. It was currently near the end of February, and the weather was starting to get warmer. The cold and bitter months of December and January were now over with. Practice was becoming easier for Rainbow, who was improving in every single way possible. Soarin was teaching her the many moves that the Wonderbolts need to please the fans and get the loudest cheers. Rainbow had a few minor falls, but every time she fell, Soarin would pick her up and they would have a chuckle about it.

This day, however, proved to be different. Soarin was teaching Rainbow a new move; a move that was one of the hardest ones to learn. It was a move that all Wonderbolts needed to learn in order to make their fans jump out of excitement and feel that they received a show worth telling others about. The move involved every member of the Wonderbolts. Each member would hold a small smoke machine while they flew at amazing speeds. They were to hold the machine behind them, leaving a trail of smoke to spell the city of which they were performing in. It was the move that got the loudest cheers from the fans, and it was the move that ended each show. Rainbow remembered the time she saw them when she was a filly growing up in Cloudsdale. As the Wonderbolts performed their final move, they spelled out ‘Cloudsdale’ in ten different colours. Rainbow still had chills from remembering that moment, which was the moment that she decided that she would grow up to be a Wonderbolt.

Rainbow Dash on this day had been struggling to perform the move, even after many attempts. Soarin had given her the small smoke machine, and he assigned her to spell out the letter C in the sky at high speeds. C was one of the easiest letters to spell for a Wonderbolt; the exception probably being I. Each time Rainbow went up at her high speeds she just couldn't get it right. During one attempt she flew into the roof of one of the cloud buildings in the area. Another attempt made her almost hurl from spinning too much, and the resulting letter looked more like a two-year-old’s drawing than an actual letter. She was starting to get frustrated with herself, and Soarin was beginning to lose his patience. He was struggling to keep his cool after all the times Rainbow would fail and get up, saying, “It’s okay, I got this. One more time.” He tried to just smile and let her continue, but every time she tried, she failed, and he was getting tired of being out in the cold.

Finally, after being outside for six hours and after over thirty attempts, she asked Soarin while gasping for breath, “Please, Soarin… Let me try one more time. I know I can do it.”

Soarin sighed and replied, “Rainbow, come on. You’re just not getting it for today. We can try again another day.” This was the first time in a while that Soarin had called her ‘Rainbow.’ He usually called her ‘Dashie’ or some of his many other terms of endearment for her as of late. He had called her on many occasions ‘sweetheart,’ ‘my love,’ ‘honey,’ or when a little more excited, ‘baby,’ and sometimes even ‘sexy.’

“Come on Soarin, don’t be like that! Let me just try one more time,” she said to him. She used a sad face that she had learned from Pinkie Pie to try to get Soarin to agree. Soarin stared back at her with a glare. He hadn't succumbed to the cuteness of Rainbow’s face. “Please, let me just try one more time. I promise you that I can do this. Have a little faith in me,” she continued with a tone of some frustration.

“Fine, one more time is all I’ll give you! I’m tired of standing here. It’s still cold outside and I want to go in and eat,” Soarin barked at Rainbow.

The mare looked back at him with a little bit of shock. She was surprised that Soarin had raised his voice at her. He hadn't done that to her before. She responded while looking back up to the sky, “Goodness, I’m sorry I asked. I didn't know you were so grumpy.”

She looked back at him. He had a frown on his face. “Well, are you going to try again or not?” he responded with a voice full of impatience. Rainbow’s jaw opened a little. She was starting to feel hurt by the harshness of Soarin’s tone. She decided to try again anyway.

She spread her wings and took the sky. After stumbling in the air a few times, she turned on the smoke machine and held it in her hooves and faced it behind her. She looked ahead to try and make the C shape that she tried desperately to do all day. She started well, making the bottom part of the letter in the white smoke. She began to increase her speed as she tried to ascend with an upward curve. Her cheeks vibrated from the wind against her. She could feel the force of gravity pulling her down and making it ever harder to go higher. “Come on! Do it you sissy!” she yelled at herself. She began to go higher. She made her way up and around in the curve that she was hoping to make. She turned off her machine and smiled as she came back down to Soarin, who was waiting patiently, or rather, impatiently, on the roof of the headquarters. She landed on her back hooves and dropped the machine from her front hooves. The machine fell off the roof and down. She looked over to see it fall all the way to the ground, which was hundreds and hundreds of metres below. She looked over at Soarin with a face that showed a little nervousness. “Did I at least make the correct letter?’” she asked him.

Soarin raised his eyebrow to her and said, “I don’t know, Rainbow. Why don’t you take a look for yourself?”

The mare, who was now nervous, looked to see what she had just accomplished. The letter that she was initially proud of looked more like a filly had held the machine in her hand and moved her hoof around wildly, creating nothing but a complete mess. She had failed miserably once again. She closed her eyes and moved her head back slowly. She opened her eyes to the sky above her, and said, “I’m sorry, Soarin. I failed again. I just can’t do it.”

Soarin yelled at her, “No kidding you can’t do it! That was horrible! Every Wonderbolt has to be able to do this move. You've failed horribly at it all day! Why am I wasting my time watching you do this? I should have waited longer to ask you to do this, because you clearly aren't ready yet.”

Rainbow had her mouth open as she looked to him. His words had finally hit a soft spot in her heart. She blinked her eyes slowly and had a tear drop along her cheek. She looked down and said to the stallion who had just yelled at her, “I’m sorry I wasted your time.” She began to cry at being yelled it, as well as at failing. She let out a few sniffles and left the roof, flying back into the headquarters and into her room, with tears coming down the entire way. Soarin stood there on the roof, feeling horrible about the pain he had just caused her.

An hour passed since Soarin had yelled at his fillyfriend. He spent the hour in his room, sitting on his chair, just thinking about how he could make this better. Rainbow meanwhile just sat on her bed. She had tears in her eyes even after an hour. She sat forward, leaning on her front hooves. She failed miserably on this day.

Another ten minutes passed. Rainbow was just about to get up and go check herself out in the mirror to see how horrible she looked, but she heard a knock at the door. She went over, and with a sniffle, she yelled out, “Who are you and what do you want?”

Soarin responded through the door, “Dashie, it’s me. Please open the door. I really have something I need to say to you.”

“Why should I open the door? You’ll only yell at me,” she said back to him sadly.

“Dashie, I'm really, really sorry. Please give me a chance,” he said to her. Soarin was very thankful to see Rainbow open the door. She was obviously hurt deeply by his tone from earlier. She looked miserable. Her mane was all messed up and her eyes were red. Soarin continued, “Dashie, you don’t even know how sorry I am. I was so incredibly rude to you. Please, let me make it up to you.”

Rainbow sniffed and then responded, “Soarin, you made me feel horrible about myself. Now I feel like I shouldn't even be here anymore. I’ll never be able to perform if I can’t make that move.”

Soarin put a hoof on Rainbow’s shoulder to comfort her. He then said, “Dashie, I really messed up badly. I shouldn't have treated you the way I did. I just lost my patience. You're going to be a wonderful Wonderbolt, and you will master that move in time. Please, just let me make it up to you tonight.”

Rainbow wiped both of her eyes, which were getting drier as she stopped crying. “How're you going to do that?” she asked.

“By taking you to see Coltplay tonight in the front row,” Soarin said while holding up two VIP tickets to Coltplay’s show set for tonight at the Cloudsdale Arena. Rainbow Dash had talked about Coltplay being one of her favourite bands. They were from Trottingham and been around for about twelve years, releasing a few great albums that Rainbow had loved to listen to. She also had had a few discussions with Soarin about them before. Both of them loved the band of the four stallions, but only Soarin had seen them live before.

Rainbow looked back at Soarin with wide eyes. “Are you serious? You’ll take me to see them tonight?” she asked, almost in shock.

“You bet!” he replied while still holding the tickets. “Front row, centre, on the floor. We also have backstage passes to meet with the band for fifteen minutes after the show.”

“Oh my gosh,” Rainbow said. She finally had a smile and was starting to show happiness again. “I can’t believe you got tickets the day of the show! I've never been able to see them before!”

“I know,” Soarin replied. “These weren't easy to get, but that doesn't matter to me. This is my way of showing you how sorry I truly am.” Rainbow leaped from her room and into the hooves of Soarin, giving him a massive hug and a kiss on the cheek. “I guess that means I’m forgiven,” he whispered into the ear of the mare in his grasp.

“Yeah, I guess I can forgive you this one time,” she replied with a smile while bending backwards to look him in the eyes.

--------------------------------------

Rainbow Dash over the next few hours got herself dressed up for her most exciting date yet. She styled her hair and wore the same dress that she wore to the Grand Galloping Gala a few years prior. Soarin dressed in a black tuxedo with a white shirt and a black tie. The two of them met in the hallway of the headquarters. “You look radiant,” Soarin said to the mare.

She giggled and said back to him, “You don’t look so bad yourself.”

The two of them walked outside. Rainbow’s jaw dropped when she saw that Soarin had arranged for a white chariot, pulled by two royal guards from Canterlot, to pick them up and bring them to the arena. She had no words, only a smile as she hopped over and went into the chariot with her stallion. The two royal guards took them to the Cloudsdale Arena, which was a beautiful indoor arena that seated twenty-five thousand and hosted a number of Cloudsdale’s indoor sports teams, as well many shows and events throughout the year. It was in the ground part of the city, along with the other stadiums, a mall, a train station, and a tourist area. Due to the fact that only pegasi can reach the city of Cloudsdale, this section was built down below the city so that earth ponies and unicorns could come visit. It helped to vastly boost Cloudsdale's economy, as ponies from all over would get a beautiful view of the city from the hotels and restaurants built below. All of the stadiums were built in the ground section of the city.

When the couple arrived in front of the arena, the many ponies walking around stopped to look. A number of them took pictures of the couple because of how amazing they looked. A number of ponies realised that Soarin was the stallion. There were a number of members of the media present who also took a few pictures. They could hear some ponies talking to each other, a few of them were talking about how Soarin has a marefriend. Rainbow at this time was still not very famous because she hadn’t made an appearance for the Wonderbolts yet. Soarin waved to the ponies as he and Rainbow made their way into gate seven, which was only used by ponies with VIP tickets to events in the arena. They made their way to where their tickets were. They had two seats on the floor right in front of the stage. Rainbow looked around at the stadium to see the many empty seats as fans of Coltplay were making their way into the arena. Looking around gave her feelings of nostalgias she could remember the time when her father took her to see a Cloudsdale Flyers hockey game, as well as a Cloudsdale Colts basketball game when she was a filly. That was her last time in the arena.

She sat in her seat beside Soarin, almost shaking due to the anticipation she had. She was getting more and more excited as more and more fans came in. The noise was starting to increase as many ponies entered. She could hear the conversations of thousands, and it was almost overwhelming. Soarin could not help but smile as he looked at the mare, who was as excited as a young filly. A server pony came over to take their order, and Soarin bought them both some fries and popcorn for the show. Rainbow saw a pony come out and onto the stage and go over to the drums. “Ahh! Is that Will the drummer?” she asked.

“No, sweetheart, that’s just a worker going to check to see if the instruments are ready for the show,” Soarin said kindly. Rainbow chuckled. The pony on stage was actually the drum technician, and he waved to Rainbow and smiled because he could hear her ask the question to Soarin.

The fans finally all filed in. The arena was completely sold out. Both levels, the floor, and the skyboxes were all filled up; every last seat. The lights went dark, and the screams of thousands could be heard. How could it not be heard? It was almost deafening. Coltplay had taken the stage. They waved to their many fans, who screamed in return. All four members were brown earth ponies. Will, who had a shaved mane and a beard, went over to the drums. Guy, who had a curly black mane, went over to bass guitar. Jonny, who was wearing a green cap, picked up his beautiful guitar that was painted to look like colourful graffiti. Chris, the final member and lead singer with a short brown mane and a microphone, took the stage.

“Holy Celestia, it’s them!” Rainbow shouted out while bouncing up and down. Every pony in the audience got up off their feet to stand for the performance, which was about to begin.

Chris raised his hoof and waved to the crowd. He went over to his piano, which was a beautiful black grand. The crowd erupted as the band started the concert by playing a song from their new album with a beautiful beginning with the xylophone, which was played by Will. Rainbow could hardly contain her excitement as the band performed their first song. Every pony in the audience was given a wristband, each was a different colour from the one beside them. In the dark the wristbands lit up, flashing many colours and making a breathtaking scene as thousands flashed at the same time along with the music. As the first song went on, the lead singer sang and danced around the stage after finishing his piece on the piano. The song finished with a long guitar note that was held for a few seconds as the fans all cheered. “Is everybody okay?” Chris asked to the crowd, which caused a huge roar. He continued in his Trottingham accent, “It's always a pleasure to come back here to play in Cloudsdale, home of the best darn fans in the whole entire world! We are going to play the best frickin’ concert you've ever heard!”

The fans roared again as the band played a few of their earlier songs. As the singing went on, the fans sang the lyrics back, getting loud especially at the various choruses. There was build up in every song as the fans would sing together. Confetti was shot out from many places around the arena. Rainbow Dash looked up with a massive grin as butterfly paper cutouts, confetti, and streamers fell down from the ceiling and onto her and Soarin. She looked at her hoof to see a cute, green, paper butterfly, which was one of the thousands of pieces shot into the air. Rainbow was as happy as can be as she danced and jumped around as the song went on. She had the same reaction for the next three songs, which were all upbeat.

After a little while, Chris sat down at his piano. He tilted the microphone stand close to his mouth and the crowd went quiet. He said to the silent crowd, “You ponies have been un-frickin-believable so far. No wonder Cloudsdale is the best city to play a concert in.” The screams of thousands of pegasi filled the room. Chris raised his hoof for silence once again. He had a huge smile on his face. He continued, “The next song is one of special importance to us. It was a song that I wrote for my love long ago.” He paused for the cheer, and continued once again, “However, tonight we’d like to dedicate this song tonight to a special mare sitting here in the front row, Rainbow Dash.”

Rainbow’s jaw almost dropped to the floor when she heard the lead singer say her name from the stage. She looked over at Soarin. He looked back at her with a smile and a nod of his head. “I told you I’d make it up to you,” he said while putting his arm around her.

Chris started to play the famous piano from the song dedicated to Rainbow on this night. The crowd was silent as they listened to the soft song with sad and beautiful lyrics. Chris sang into the microphone while playing the piano. He had a certain sparkle in his eye as he looked out at the crowd, who were singing back to him. He looked down at Soarin and Rainbow, who were in each other's grasp at this time.

As the song dedicated to the technicolor pegasus went on, the couple were hugging and swaying to the sound of the music. They looked each other in the eyes and kissed a quick peck. Rainbow had a tear of happiness coming from her eyes.

As the piano went on, the lead singer let out sad and passionate ‘ooohs.’ Rainbow at this point had to wipe her eyes from all the tears. She had never experienced a moment as good as this one. Soarin had apologised to Rainbow in the biggest way he could ever think of. Rainbow didn't even need to say it; the smile she gave to him as he looked into her eyes was enough to tell him that he was fully forgiven for making her cry earlier.

The concert went on for many more songs. The whole night was magical. It was the greatest night of Rainbow Dash’s life. Afterwards, after they watched the whole crowd clear out of the arena, they went backstage to go meet the band.

“Soarin! How’s it going buddy?” Jonny the guitarist said as the two of them walked into the room. The band members were talking and resting from a wonderful performance. Soarin came over and hoof-bumped all four members of the band.

“It’s been a while since we've seen you,” Guy said to Soarin.

Soarin looked over to Rainbow, who clearly had shock on her face. “Soarin, how do you know them?” she asked the stallion.

“The Wonderbolts perform for all of the celebrity ponies in Equestria, and vice-versa,” he explained to her. “Coltplay are one of my favourite bands, and I know all of them personally. They’re really cool ponies.”

Rainbow gulped as she introduced herself to the famous musicians. “H-hi. I’m R-Rainbow Dash,” she said while looking at her hooves. She wasn't normally shy, but speaking to such famous ponies she was extremely shy.

“Hey Rainbow,” Chris said as he came over to hold her hoof. “Soarin told us all about you. He said that he made you cry today and needed to make it up to you. Did you enjoy the show?”

Rainbow Dash looked back at the lead singer with wide, open eyes, and said, “Uh… yes! It was amazing! This was the best night of my entire life!”

“Well we’re glad we could be a part of it,” Chris replied while kissing her hoof. She looked over to see Soarin’s reaction. His smile signaled that it was okay with him.

The two of them conversed with the band members for another few minutes. Rainbow got to spend time with some more of her heroes. Soarin had given her a night she would never forget.

--------------------------------------

The next morning Rainbow Dash and Soarin went back to the start. They went back to where it all went wrong. Soarin taught her the move properly. He flew beside her, holding her and helping her to make the letters the proper way. She smiled to him while they were in the air. Upon landing, she could see that the two of them had spelled out the entire word of ‘Cloudsdale’ without her even struggling.