• Published 11th Jan 2013
  • 8,281 Views, 964 Comments

Violet Hill - TorontoFCBrony



A tragic love story, featuring Rainbow Dash and Soarin.

  • ...
25
 964
 8,281

Chapter 14: A Day With Twilight Sparkle

Rainbow remained standing at the docks for a few hours, just standing while leaning her head and her hooves on the railing, starting off and watching the waves crash. There really wasn't anything in particular that she was thinking of. She just watched the waves come and go. Occasionally she would look down at her engagement ring. The beautiful big diamond sparkled when the sun would break through the heavy clouds and shine on it.

The afternoon came upon her, and she decided it was time to return home. Well, not home, but to Twilight's house, where she was staying while she waited for Soarin to return. She did not have any long term plans on where she and Soarin would live, but that would be decided upon his return.

After a few hours of flying back to Ponyville, Rainbow returned to Twilight's library, where her five friends were waiting eagerly for her. She put down her belongings near the door and walked over to her friends.

"Well darling, how did it go? Please, do tell," Rarity asked.

Rainbow did not say anything; she just lifted her hoof to show the five of them her new engagement ring. The mares all let out girlish screams upon seeing the sheer size of it.

"Gosh, that sure is a mighty fine diamond there, Rainbow," Applejack said.

"I know, I couldn't be any happier," Rainbow replied while looking down at the ring. "It's just too bad he's gone. It will be hard without him"

"That's okay, Dashie. He'll be back before you can say chimi-cherry-changa," Pinkie said cheerfully.

"In the meantime, please tell us the story," Twilight said.

Rainbow smiled at the others and told the story. "Well, we met at our special place. I started to see clouds that looked like the two of us. After a bunch went by, the clouds spelled 'Will you marry me?' That was when he pulled out the ring. It turns out that he asked Fleetfoot and Rapidfire to change the clouds just for me."

The other mares just stared back at her with smiles. "That's such a sweet story," Fluttershy said while closing her eyes.

"Yeah, it really was sweet," Rainbow agreed. "We also stayed at the most expensive hotel in Canterlot. It was really romantic." After a few seconds, she continued, "I'm really going to miss him though. You guys will really need to help me over the next little while."

"Of course, sugarcube. That's what friends are for," Applejack assured.

--------------------------------------

The next morning, Rainbow felt nauseous and threw up once again, but she felt better after a little while, and was ready to take on a new day. She still worried constantly about her coltfriend, but worrying could do nothing to help. She needed something to distract her.

"Good morning, Rainbow," Twilight said while Rainbow came downstairs. Twilight had set out pancakes for herself, Rainbow, and Spike.

"Wow, thanks Twi. You really didn't have to do this," Rainbow said appreciatively as she sat down at the table.

"It's the least I can for a good friend of mine," Twilight replied happily.

Rainbow sat down and ate her pancakes with the new syrup that the Apple family created. It was one of the best breakfasts that she had ever had. After she finished, Twilight asked her, "So, what do you want to do today?"

"Oh, don't worry about me, I'll find something to do. You are probably busy today," Rainbow replied.

"Not at all, actually. My only job today is to distract you from all your worries," Twilight reassured. "The others are all busy today, but I'm going to help you be as happy as you can be."

"Thanks," Rainbow said while scratching her head. "I'm not really sure what to do though. I kinda forgot what there is to do for fun around here."

Twilight thought for a few seconds, and then suggested, "We can go to the park, we can go visit other friends in Ponyville, or we can just sit here and read Daring Do. Anything you feel like, we can do."

"Can we visit everypony and catch up with them for a little bit?" Rainbow asked.

"Of course!" Twilight replied.

The day was beautiful. It was a sunny and hot mid-summer day. Everypony was busy working and caring for their daily chores around the town. Rainbow and Twilight walked around, waiting to see who they found.

Walking around the middle of the town, Rainbow heard from behind her a familiar voice call her name. It was the voice of that little orange filly. "Rainbow Dash!"

The mare turned around to see Scootaloo running over to her. She held her hooves out and bent down, and the young pegasus jumped into her grasp for a hug. Rainbow looked over to the filly's flank to see that she had finally earned her cutie mark.

"Hey Scoots, I missed you so much. How's it going?" Rainbow said as she put the filly down.

"I earned my cutie mark!" Scootaloo shouted while turning around and showing her hero her cutie mark, which was a wheel with flames on it. "I got it when I was showing my moves on my scooter to other ponies in the town."

"I'm so proud of you, squirt," Rainbow said affectionately while rubbing the filly's mane.

Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle finally caught up with them. Scootaloo had dashed ahead upon the sight of Rainbow that the other two took a few minutes to catch up.

"Hey Rainbow, it's so good to see you," Apple Bloom said.

"How's everything?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"Everything is just great. Soarin and I got engaged," Rainbow said while showing the ring to the fillies, who all awed and smiled at the ring. Rainbow looked at the two other fillies' flanks to see that they had both also gotten their own cutie marks. Apple Bloom seemed to have an apple with a flower on it as a cutie mark, which wasn't really a surprise. Sweetie Belle had a microphone as a cutie mark. "It seems like you two have had some excitement too," Rainbow said to the two other fillies.

"Yeah, I got my cutie mark when I sang at the school talent show," Sweetie Belle told her.

"My cutie mark is so lame. My talent is apples, just like every other pony in the Apple family," Apple Bloom said.

"That's okay Apple Bloom, you should be proud of who you are," Rainbow assured her. She then said to all three of them, "I'm really proud of all three of you. You've really grown up well the last few years."

"Thanks, Rainbow Dash," the three fillies said in unison.

"I have to go see a few others, but I'll catch you guys later," she told the three, who said bye to her and ran off giggling.

"That's so cool to see them doing so well," Rainbow said to Twilight.

"Yeah, things have been pretty good here," Twilight agreed. The two of them moved on, hoping to find others to catch up with.

Rainbow and Twilight decided to go pay Pinkie Pie a visit at Sugar Cube Corner. "Oh, Dashie! Twi! Here, have a free cupcake on me," Pinkie Pie exclaimed when she saw them walk into the shop. The two of them had their cupcakes and conversed with Pinkie at one of the tables. It was one of the most delicious treats that Rainbow had ever eaten.

Rainbow and Twilight walked throughout the town, taking to the many ponies they met. All of them were very excited to see that Rainbow had returned to the place she called home. Things seemed just normal for everypony around the town. The Apple family still worked hard at Sweet Apple Acres, Cheerilee still taught, Lyra and Bonbon still did whatever it is that they did. Everything seemed normal, and the town was peacefully set aside from the warfare.

After a long and nice day, the sunset was upon them. Twilight had given Rainbow a day to remember, because it was a day where she could just forget about her worries. The day ended with the two of them walking by the pond with the sun reflecting on the water. Rainbow and Twilight smiled as they saw some of the older ponies feeding the ducks at the pond, and on the other side some of the fillies and colts were playing around with a ball. All was peaceful as they made their walk around the pond, which was a nice distraction from the sadness Rainbow felt.

Upon coming home, Rainbow thanked Twilight for the wonderful day that he gave her. "I really appreciate it, Twi. If it wasn't for you offering me to stay in your home, I don't know where I'd be right now."

"It's no problem at all, Dashie. We all do things for each other," Twilight replied. Rainbow hugged Twilight to show her appreciation for the wonderful day.

Spike came downstairs to inform Rainbow that she had received a letter from Soarin. He handed it over to the pegasus, who read it out loud for the three of them. "To my love, Dashie. I arrived safely in Saddle Arabia. So far my job is to fly supplies down to the earth ponies engaging in the trench warfare. So far the Equestrian forces are fighting for land that contains a lot of oil. I am just here to do my assignment so that I can come back safely and see your wonderful face again. I miss you already. Lots of love, Soarin."

Rainbow sighed and clutched the paper against her chest. Just reading a letter from Soarin was comforting for her, and it added to the wonderful day she had. If every day was like this one, the next three months would not be as horrible as she first thought.