• Published 9th Jan 2013
  • 9,370 Views, 408 Comments

Ballad of the Dovahkiin - Trapo



Twilight discovers a song that will forever change her life. Whisked away into another world she is forced to face the blood shed. It all begins with the Ballad of the Dovakhiin.

  • ...
24
 408
 9,370

Chapter 03: Hope

Pillars of black smoke were still rising by the time the sun set on Whiterun. Any passersby would have heard the moaning and crying far before they took notice of the smoke rising from the partially ruined city. The stench of burning flesh drifted even further, carried by the northern winds. The guards of Whiterun, or what remained of them, worked without ceasing. Carrying bodies, digging out rubble and tending to the wounded. Many of the citizens participated in the reconstruction, though others decided to weep quietly in their homes, or by their ruins.

Jarl Balgruf walked down the steps of the upper city, leading to the ruined square where vendors would have at this time been selling their produce. He was flanked at either side by Irileth and Proventus as well as two guards that took up the rear, swords drawn, and eyes scanning the skies.

Jarl Balgruf stopped in front of the remains of two guards. Their bodies were burnt beyond recognition, their swords warped by the heat of the dragons breath. Jarl Balgruf resisted the urge to kneel before his faithful guards and settled to bowing his head in respect. Now was not the time to show weakness. He needed to be strong for his people, and for his hold.

"Casualties are...substantial, my Jarl."

Jarl Balgruf raised his head and turned to his adviser Proventus, giving him a stern look. Proventus however did not notice as his eyes were busy surveying the carnage that lay in front of him. After seeing the look on his face, Jarl Balgruf decided to overlook his advisers' earlier comment and proceeded down the stone path to where the dragon had been slain. He turned the corner of one of the shops and saw it behind the empty house known to his people as "Breezehome."

There it was, the bones of the beast that had murdered his people. He lips curled into a snarl and before anyone could stop him he marched up to the dragon's skull. His cohort made no move towards the dragon. Only Irileth walked with the Jarl to the Jaws of the beast. The Jarl looked at the hollow eyes of the dragon and snorted. He pulled out his battle ax and swung it down as hard as he could. The Jarls own arm shook with the force and his grip on his ax had threatened to falter, yet there was not a scratch on the dragon's bones. The test of the dragons bones did nothing to shock him from his anger.

"Dragons! Dragons in my hold!" He growled out in cold fury as he sheathed his war ax.

His anger subsided, and he looked to the sky as if to ask the very divines themselves his question.

"How can we fight them?" It sounded more like a plea than a question.

"My Jarl." Irilithe interrupted his thoughts by placing a hand on his shoulder. "The beast is dead. If one of them can be slain, there is a way to protect the city."

Jarl Balgruf shrugged her hand off.

"At what cost Irileth? Look around you, could we withstand another attack? Could Riverwood? Rorikstead? We stopped this dragon with an army, and I sent a mere detachment of Guards to my towns." Jarl Balgruf massaged his temples and walked around the bones of the dragon that had terrorized his city. A sudden thought came to mind, he didn't know why he felt the need to worry about their guest, but he felt it all the same.

"Where is Twilight?" He asked turning to Irileth, trying to keep his voice neutral.

"Safe my Jarl. She is currently assisting with the reconstruction."

Jarl Balgruf gave the first smile he could give for the day and was about to ask another question when Irileth interrupted him.

"She also stood against the dragon my Jarl. Head-on." Irileth said her own smile forming on her lips. The Jarl couldn't believe his ears, not just because of what Twilight had done, but because he could have sworn he heard a small hint of Pride coming from Irileth's voice.

"Did she now? So she fought alongside the Redguard?"

Irileth nodded and Jarl Balgruf crossed his arms, nodding his head in thought.

"I assume the Redguard has returned with Farengars' Prize?"

This time it was Proventus' turn to speak.

"Yes my Jarl. Farengar is currently studying the Dragonstone. Though he was accompanied by a cloaked woman. Me'thinks it is one of his mysterious... sources..." Irileth looked shocked for a brief moment and approached Proventus to inquire further about this mysterious visitor, but Jarl Balgruf stopped her, anticipating her well trained vigilance.

"We have more important things to worry about right now than Farengars strange visitors." He turned and glanced towards the tall mountain in the distance. It was massive, all other peaks in the land of Skyrim were dwarfed by the sacred mountain upon which High Hrothgar sat. He spun around and walked swiftly to the guards who flanked him.

"The men say, that the Redguard devoured that Dragon's soul. Is that true?"

There wasn't a hint of hesitation in the guards response. "Yes my Jarl. The dragons skin disintegrated, and something like...very powerful magic, began to pour into him." The other guard nearly dropped his sword in excitement as he added to the answer.

"There is no mistake my Jarl. That Redguard is Dragon born!"

The Jarl took a deep breath and commanded that the two guards help with the reconstruction of the village, after they had left. Jarl Balgruf once again turned to gaze upon that mountain in the distance.

"Perhaps it is fate indeed. That shout from the high mountain. Did you hear it?"

If his cohorts had answered him, he wasn't listening, he was too busy looking up at the mountain. The tallest and most sacred mountain in all of Tamriel.

"That voice...was the voice of hope."

----

Twilight wiped her brow, the stench of the burning bodies around her had become bearable, but only just. In front of her sat a lone child. Dried tears mingling with the ash streaks on his face. The sight of him broke Twilight's heart. She swore that if Fluttershy had been here, she would have died of sorrow. That thought hurt her even more. Her friends seemed so far away now. The child tugged on the sleeve of her robes.

"It still hurts miss mage..." The boy whimpered, indicating the gash on his calf that Twilight had bandaged earlier. Twilight felt another pinch in her heart. She didn't know much about the anatomy of these humans, but she had bandaged him up the best she could. All the other guards were running around dealing with people who were worse off. It was all Twilight could do, to help in the reconstruction.

"Can you make it feel better with magic?" He asked, eyes pleading. Twilight kept calm.

"I'm sorry. But I don't know enough magic yet. Where are your parents?" At this the boy teared up and pointed to the house behind him. Twilight's heart dropped through her stomach. It was the house that the dragon smashed when it first arrived. Finally, Twilight couldn't take it any more. Fresh tears started pouring from her eyes, and she grabbed the child and hugged him tightly.

"I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry." Twilight whispered.

The child hugged back and they cried together for a moment. Suddenly however, the boy stopped crying. Twilight let go of him and saw that the boy was looking at something past her in awe. Twilight followed the boy's gaze and almost leaped ten feet into the air. Not more than a few feet away dark eyes surveyed both of them. The Redguard, or as Twilight had discovered, the Dragonborn was watching them, eyes focused on the boy, a warm smile forming on his features. He approached them and knelt down, next to Twilight.

"I know a few things. Would you mind if I tried it? It might feel a little weird." He spoke calmly and with kindness, very different from the way he spoke battling the dragon. The boy nodded reluctantly, and the Dragonborn stretched out his hand. He closed his eyes and clenched his fist, a swirling golden orb of magic forming in his palm. The Dragonborn lay his hand on the calf of the boy and soon the orb of gold circled the boy. A moment later the light stopped and the Dragonborn stood up.

"Stay here." He said and he walked past them, down the street and around the corner.

Twilight was confused, but the boy took the moment to check his leg. Twilight watched in amazement as the boy undid his bandages and felt the underside of his leg. The wound had completely healed.

"Beirand!" Came a shout from down the street. A bald man with a mustache dressed in plain clothing was running through the street. Slowly following him, was the Dragonborn.

"Papa!" The boy, named Beirand shouted as he leapt into the air and ran to meet him with his newly healed leg.

Twilight couldn't believe her eyes. Beirand and his father hugged tightly in the street, exchanging words of affection that only a father and son could say. Twilight's switched her view from the happy sight before her to the Dragonborn, standing and watching the sight before them. Twilight felt something spark within her, not unlike what she had felt with her friends. It was admiration. Then the Dragonborn stretched out his hand.

"Of course!" Beirand's father said releasing his son and standing upright. "Thank you for finding my son! As agreed, have Ten Septims for your troubles."

Twilight's jaw dropped.

The Dragonborn took the small bag of gold and nodded, pocketing it into the small satchel hanging off his belt opposite of where his sword was. With hasty goodbyes, Beirand and his father had left, heading for the gates of Whiterun and out of the city. The Dragonborn watched as they walked out of the city.

"How could you do that!?" Twilight exploded, while the Dragonborn paid her no heed.

"You had to get paid to find his son!? What is wrong with you! Don't you think that just for a second they might need those bits, or septims...or whatever...!!" Twilight moved in front of the Dragonborn, shouting at him inches from his face, while the Redguard observed her with a blank, yet almost inquisitive expression.

"Shouldn't a good deed be it's own reward?! You know what?! I don't care if you're the Dragonborn hero! What you did was just....just..... UGH!!!" Twilight took deep breaths to try and calm herself down, it would have worked if the dragonborn had not still been staring at her with that contemplative expression of his.

"What are you?"

Twilight almost exploded again, but through some miracle she was able to keep her calm.

"I think the question you're looking for is. WHO are you? My name is Twilight Sparkle. And there's no reason to be so rude...mister..."

"Redguard." The dragonborn replied, still studying twilight with his eyes.

Twilight rolled her eyes. "Fine...I can go by your title if you want..."

"I know who you are Twilight." The dragonborn said quickly cutting Twilight off.

"I wasn't completely sure during the battle, but now I am." He paused for a moment, making sure he and Twilight were looking at each other eye to eye.

"You're the mare that fell from the sky."

It was as if time itself stood still, and all of Twilight's rage vanished in an instant. He mentioned the word mare. The information racketed around in Twilight's brain sparking warning signs. How did he know? Maybe he saw her before she turned human? It's obvious that he didn't know that she was a unicorn from Equestria. He was asking about what she was, and that was a good thing. These thoughts and more came and passed Twilight in rapid succession as she struggled for an answer. The dragonborn for his part, stepped back and crossed his arms, taking in Twilight's reaction.

"Hey! You two!" A guard called from a distance. The guard was out of breath as he stopped in front of both Twilight and the Dragonborn.

"The Jarl want's to see both of you up in Dragon's reach. Now."

The Dragonborn nodded and moved passed a relieved looking Twilight, who spun around and followed the Dragonborn up the stone stairs to Dragons Reach. The walk was quiet and awkward, and Twilight couldn't help but try to start up a conversation halfway up the stairs. If he was her only hope of making it back home, she may as well try to befriend him. The Dragonborn knocked over a little girl who who was running down the stairs. The child shot out a quick 'sorry' but the Dragonborn didn't seem to hear her. Twilight sighed. If she was going to try and befriend him. She'd better do it now before he did something else to piss her off.

"Look. Maybe we started on the wrong foot." She said, picking up her pace to walk next to him.

"I still think what you did back there was wrong but, you could at least tell me your name. You know...something other than Redguard."

The Dragonborn stopped at the doors of Dragon's reach and turned to look at Twilight. Giving a sigh that hinted at annoyance.

"I told you. My name is Redguard. Problem?"

Twilight squinted her eyes unsure if Redguard was telling the truth or if it was truly his name.

Redguard shook his head and opened the door to Dragons Reach, a more than slightly annoyed Twilight following in his wake.

----

"Too easy." The child Lucia giggled to herself as she counted the gold she stole from the rude man's pouch. She sat on the stairs and reveled in her small victory. She was worried at first that the purple haired mage would have caught her, but luckily she looked distracted by something else. If being an orphan in Skyrim had taught her anything, it was how to survive by any means necessary, and thanks to the art of theft, she now had ten septims. Ten septims would be more than enough to eat dinner, if the bannered mare were open tonight. She smiled to herself and licked her lips, as she stood to get up. As she did so however, she noticed a strange lump in her dress pocket. She put her hand inside and touched what felt like a sharp rock. She pulled it out and gasped as she saw an emerald. Not believing her luck she quickly threw it in the bag with the ten septims and quickly stuffed the bag into her dress pocket. She looked up at Dragons reach and remembered the man she bumped into.

"Too...Easy..." She whispered to herself, before running off into the town.

Author's Note:

Here's the chapter. Short and sweet. Expect the next Chapter to come out fairly soon. Again, comments are appreciated.

Also as far as the Dovahkiin's name? What do you think?