• Published 9th Jan 2013
  • 9,367 Views, 408 Comments

Ballad of the Dovahkiin - Trapo



Twilight discovers a song that will forever change her life. Whisked away into another world she is forced to face the blood shed. It all begins with the Ballad of the Dovakhiin.

  • ...
24
 408
 9,367

Prologue: The Song

A short time after dusk, within the confines of a closet in Ponyville's town hall, Twilight Sparkle paced back and forth. Next to her was an old tome of average size sitting atop an overturned bucket. Twilights eyes were fixed determinedly on the floor, as if reading words that weren’t there. Every so often she would dart back to the book, reading a while before resuming her pacing. Suddenly there was a knock on the door. Twilight jumped and knocked over the bucket along with a couple of brooms, which made a loud almost comical rattle within the broom closet.

"Twi? Ya in there girl?" Came the strong accent of one of her best friends, Applejack.

Twilight laughed nervously to herself and fetched the book that was now laying closed on the floor.

"Yes AJ. I'll be just one more minute. I need to be absolutely sure I've got this song memorized. I really, REALLY don't want to make a fool of myself tonight, especially in front of Princess Celestia." She answered back through the door.

"Twi we've been waitin almost an hour now. Ah'm sure the princess will love whatever ya do out there tonight. Jus think of it as the hearth's warming eve pageant!"

All of a sudden the door burst open with tremendous force almost flattening Applejack to the wall.

"But that was the pageant Applejack! That was a story I've read a dozen times. I knew it by heart! We rehearsed and rehearsed and rehearsed….” Twilight kept repeating the word rehearsed; just long enough for Applejack to shake the cobwebs from her head. Before she could even think of getting a word in edgewise she was pinned against the wall by Twilight.

"What I'm trying to do is bring back a song from several THOUSAND years ago! It's probably even older than Celestia herself! What if I get it wrong? What if I mess it up so bad that I'll be banned from singing anything from the archives EVER AGAIN! What if..." Twilight didn't finish her sentence, as Applejack stuffed her hoof in her mouth.

"Twi..." Applejack began with well practiced patience, a genuinely amused smile on her face. "...I can understand, if maybe ya were performing in front of all of Canterlot. But this is a casual get together with the princess."

She made sure to emphasize casual, as she removed her hoof from Twilight's mouth. Twilight stuck out her tounge and gagged on the taste of dirt, apples and tree bark that was Applejacks hoof. She recovered just in time to see Applejack motioning to follow her.

"C'mon Twilight. Even if you do mess up, we’re your best friends! If anything we'll all get a good laugh out of it."

After a moment of thought, Twilight nodded and for the first time in that entire hour she was able to relax. It boggled her mind how much she had to learn when it came to friendship.

"You're right Applejack. It's time to finally sing this song! Let me just go fetch Lyra." Twilight declared loudly, striking a pose before running off past Applejack. Applejack shook her head and chuckled, following her good friend back into the main hall.

---

The decoration for the town hall was pretty modest considering the occasion. The royal flags that would have usually been hung on the balconies were absent. There was no cohort of Royal Guards dressed in decorative armor. Even the plush red carpet that heralded the arrival of royalty was tucked away in a corner.

Instead it more resembled a birthday party, complete with balloons, streamers and even party games. Princess Celestia herself was blindfolded, carrying a bat between her teeth and swinging at a paper banana hanging from one of the balconies.

"To the left princess!" Yelled the rainbow maned pegasus known as Rainbow Dash. The princess swung and missed big causing her to lose her balance slightly, she recovered with a chuckle and resumed her hunt for her bright yellow foe.

"Um...thats a little too far left...your highness." Said Fluttershy. Taking the hint, Princess Celestia adjusted herself to where she thought for certain the piñata would be. As soon as she felt the bat tap the hanging banana, she brought her head back and swung as hard as she could. Her bat made solid contact with the piñata, effectively shattering it and sending candy in every direction.

"Bravo!" Cried Rarity.

”Yay! Candy!" Yelled Pinkie, before diving into the candy that littered the floor.

Celestia laughed and removed her blindfold, watching with delight as the ponies she had lovingly called her friends devour and playfully fight over candy. "Dibs on the jawbreakers!" She heard spike yell, diving into the pile.

"Oh my little ponies." She smiled. "It has been so long since I have just been able to relax and have fun." She looked around the room and noticed that Twilight still wasn't among them. Her smile faltered a little as she scanned the room for her number one pupil.

The sound of a swinging door caught her attention and her smile immediately returned as she saw Twilight walk into the room with Applejack and a teal unicorn that Celestia knew was named Lyra. Her eyebrows were raised as she recognized the book levitating at Twilight’s side. It was a compilation of songs and ballads from cultures the world over. She smiled proudly. Twilight had written in a letter that she wanted to try and sing something special for the occasion. It was appropriate that Twilight would pick something so exotic and something that would challenge herself. She could hardly wait to see her star pupil shine once more.

Twilight stopped Lyra and Applejack just short of the snack table.

“Applejack, could you go and tell everypony that we’re ready to begin the performance?”

“Ah sure as sugar will.” Applejack said nodding once before turning to Lyra. “Are you ready Lyra?”

“Are you kidding me? This is a piece of cake! I’m just so happy you wanted me to help you perform for the princess Twilight.” Replied Lyra, bouncing on her hooves and grinning ear to ear. Twilight giggled and smiled back. Applejack took that as her queue to turn around and start rounding up the others.

A few minutes later everypony was gathered by the small platform at the back of the town hall. Rarity, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Applejack and the Princess all sat back looking up at Twilight and Lyra. Lyra strummed her lyre with her magic once and winked at Twilight for her to begin. Twilight took a breath and faced her closest friends.

“Thank you all for coming. I’m sorry I took so long. I’m especially sorry to you princess. I should have…”

“By royal decree…” Princess Celestia interrupted, raising a hoof. “…I command thee, Twilight Sparkle, to stop apologizing.”

Celestia winked and everypony laughed openly including Twilight who blushed in embarrassment.

“I shall begin then.” Her horn lit up and the curtains of the town hall drew to a close blocking what was left of the setting sun, allowing everypony to be covered in darkness. Suddenly, floating purple and white orbs appeared around the room, conjured by Twilight to set the mood. Everypony cooed in amazement before Lyra gave her lyre another drawn out strum.

“The song I am about to sing, is an ode to a hero.” Twilight began, her eyes closed and her expression calm. Lyra strummed again creating a connection between her music and twilights words. Everypony in the audience leaned forward.

“It is a legend from a country that may or may not have existed. The book called it the “Throat of the world." The song begins with a prologue…and it goes something like this.”

Lyra strummed her instrument once more. Twilight slowly opened her eyes. They were glowing white and pulsing with a faint magic. Her voice voice became mystical, almost as if there was somepony else singing along with Twilight.

We should have acted.

They’re already here.

The Elder Scrolls told of their return.

Their defeat was merely a delay,

After the time Oblivion opened,

“Obliviwhat?” Pinkie asked. Rainbow shushed her.

When the sons of Skyrim would spill their own blood.

But no one wanted to believe,

Believe they even existed.

And when the truth finally dawns.

It dawns in fire.

But there is one they fear.

In their tongue he is Dovahkiin

Dragonborn.

“Sweet!” Spike said pumping his fist, earning himself a ‘shush’ by an irritated Rainbow Dash. There was silence for a few seconds as Twilight caught her breath. Then Lyra started playing a slow melody, and Twilight began to sing.

Our Hero, our hero, claims a warrior’s heart

I tell you, I tell you, the Dragonborn comes

With a Voice wielding power of the ancient Nord art.

Believe, believe, the Dragonborn comes

Rarity swooned a little. “This sounds sooooo romantic.” Rainbow Dash sighed and turned to rarity. “Seriously? Can you guys let Twi sing?” Suddenly everypony shushed her at once and Rainbow Dash folded her fore hooves and pouted silently, eyes fixed on Twilight and mouth clamped shut. Twilight didn’t seem to notice, as she continued her song without missing a beat.

Its an end to the evil of all Skyrim’s foes.

Beware, beware the Dragonborn comes

For the darkness has passed and the legend yet grows

You’ll know, you’ll know the dragonborn’s come.

Dragonborn. Dragonborn.

By his honor is sworn,

To keep evil forever at bay!

And the fiercest foes rout when they hear triumphs shout,

Dragonborn, for your blessing we pray.

Lyra’s music slowly faded, and she paused for applause. Everypony in the room applauded, but their applause suddenly faded as they looked upon Twilight’s face. Her eyes were still white. Ablaze with magic. It almost hurt to look directly into her eyes.

“Twilight?” Princess Celestia asked concerned.

Dovakhiin…

Twilight said, still in a singing voice. Everypony sat back down, wondering if maybe Twilight simply hadn’t finished her song.

Dovakhiin… Dovakhiin…

Twilight began to levitate. The book that she had learned the song from slowly rose with her. It was now that Celestia knew something was wrong.

“Twilight!” She called out, but to no avail. Twilight couldn’t hear her. She continued to sing, but this time her voice was magnified and seemed to burn the air around her. Princess Celestia attempted to reach her with her magic, but much to her horror, her magic had no effect.

Dovakhiin. Dovakhiin.

Naal ok zin los vahriin,

Wah Dein vokul mahfaeraak ahst vaal!

Ahrk fin norok paal graan fod nust hon zindro zaan,

Dovakhiin, fah hin kogaan mu draal.

There was a brilliant white flash, knocking everypony, including the princess down. By the time everypony came to. Twilight was gone.

Author's Note:

Author’s note: Thanks for reading the prologue. It’s not much but it’s something. I could really use some pre-reading help. I’ll fix any errors I find after I re-read it tomorrow. Comments and feedback are appreciated!