• Published 26th Dec 2012
  • 15,625 Views, 229 Comments

Child of the Night - Field_Marshal_Luna



You know the story of Nightmare Moon. Or so you think. What many do not know is the story before she was banished, My name is Shadow Moon but everypony over the past thousand years have called me Twilight Sparkle and this is my story.

  • ...
36
 229
 15,625

Chapter Two: Reunion

Chapter Two: Reunion

July 8th
Year: 1809 ADB
Perspective: Twilight

I slowly rose from my uneventful slumber, I walked down the library’s stairs into the main section of the library. The room still showed the aftermath of Pinkie Pie’s party; streamers,banners and food were scattered all across the room.

I sighed gently as I exited the library and noticed the moon was beginning its descent, ‘Better get to the celebration’ I chuckled under my breath as I walked towards Ponyville’s town hall in the centre of town. As I was walking through the streets of Ponyville I looked around and took notice of how deserted the streets were, I figured that everypony was either asleep or already at the town hall to ‘watch the sun rise.’ As I got closer to the town I could feel the excitement welling up inside of me. ‘I can’t believe the day has finally come, oh I hope she remembers me, I hope she still likes me’

I look back up at the moon and once again see the silhouette of the mare moon; my mother. ‘I can’t wait to see you again mother.’ I finally arrived at town hall and using my magic I opened the doors and walked inside. The main room inside town hall was packed almost every space was filled, all except the space next to that bubbly pink mare named ‘Pinkie Pie.’

I take a deep breath ,then let it out, then I put on the best fake smile I could manage. When I walked over next to the one they call Pinkie Pie, she was in an overly excited, she ran up to me and said in a peppy tone “Oh isn’t this exciting? I’ve never been so excited, well except for that one time when I saw you and went-” I immediately tuned out the Pink one as Fluttershy’s birds played birds started to play their wondrous melody; grabbing everypony’s attention, the mayor of Ponyville trotted onto the stage and started to speak “Fillies and gentlecolts.” she said in a tone of authority “As mayor of ponyville, it brings me great pleasure to announce the beginning of the Summer Sun Celebration.” Everypony in the room cheers, but myself I just roll my eyes .

Once again the mayor starts speaking again “In just a few moments, our town will witness the magic of the sunrise and celebrate this the longest day of the year!” Again everypony stomped their hooves and cheered, when the noise once again went down the mayor once again began to speak. “And now, it is my great honour-” I tuned out the mayor as I looked up at the moon just in time to see the stars and the moon touch. A malicious grin appeared on my face as the silhouette of the mare in the moon disappeared, ‘finally, shes coming home’ I thought to myself just as the mayor finished speaking and once again Fluttershy’s birds played their tune to announce Celestia’s grand appearance.

The curtains pulled apart but what was behind them nopony expected, instead of their beloved leader Celestia, only a dark alicorn mare remained. My grin grew even wider as the said entity stepped into the light. ‘MOTHER!’ I thought excitedly to myself, not wanting to blow my cover so I held my tongue. I started to make my way to an area where she can see me. Although I could tell she was already searching for me, the way she looked out into the crowed, I still wanted to get a better look at the stage.

As I started to make my way through the mass of ponies my mother started to speak “My beloved subjects, it has been too long.”

Another voice spoke up “What did you do to our princess!?” I looked over to see who had the nerve to stand up against my mother, I identified the source of the voice as that rainbow maned pegasus from earlier. The pegasus tried to fly up to confront my mother but was immediately yanked back by that farm girl I spoke to earlier.

My mother chuckled a dark laugh as she spoke again “Oh, am I not royal enough for you?” she narrowed her eyes towards the crowd then spoke again “Do you not know who I am.”

This time I spoke up, “I know who you are, you’re the mare in the moon, Nightmare Moon.” As I finished my sentence I winked over at my mother, I guess she got the message, because she slightly lifted her muzzle in confirmation. However Everypony gasped in response.

Nightmare Moon then spoke to the crowd “Remember this day my little ponies, for it was your last, from this moment forth. The night will last forever.” She then let out a victorious evil laugh, I actually felt like joining her because I knew we have almost won, but I still have a disguise to uphold.

All of a sudden three pegasi from the royal guard fly into the air to confront my mother, but they were quickly knocked out of the sky by her powerful magic. She then transformed into her starry mist and quickly left the room.

When my mother left the room everypony immediately went into panic mode, I paid nopony attention as I ran out of town hall to see where my mother was going; as I exited the town hall I saw a quick glimpse of purple mist traveling towards the ruins in the Everfree Forest.

I began to canter into the Everfree Forest in pursuit of my mother. ‘Just a few more minutes mother and we will be reunited once again!’ My pace quickened as I lost sight of the purple mist, I flopped onto my haunches and panted heavily “I *pant* must catch *pant* up with *pant* Nightmare Moon” I laid down and took in my surroundings of the forest, the foliage was thick and the forest trees loomed over me, casting eerie shadows across the forest floor.

Most ponies I know would be quite afraid of the darkness and the forest itself, but the shadows were my friends and my domain, the everfree forest was a good childhood memory. Memories of the few days I actually spent with my mother before that tyrant banished her to the moon.

Just then I heard a rustling in the bushes, thinking that it was a manticore or some other type of creature I ignited my horn with my shadow magic and was ready to destroy whatever animal dared stop me from reuniting with my mother, what I saw made me instantly douse my magic; five other familiar mares. I instantly narrowed my eyes, “What in the wide. WIDE world of Equestria are you doing here?!” I shouted at the other five as they winced from the volume of my tone. Silence. “WELL?!” I shouted again, demanding an answer.

The first one to speak up was the unicorn mare named ‘Rarity’ “Well, we saw you running in the direction that...Monster was heading in, and you being the princess’ personal student we figured you were going to try to stop it." She looked back at the other four mares and continued speaking. “So we wanted to help you.”

It took all of my willpower not to destroy her and the ground upon where she stood, after what she called my mother...a monster, ‘ha I guess they have never seen the true side of Celestia.’ My face turned into to a scowl as I look at the five mares in front of me. ‘Take them, and when we see mother, we will destroy them for her,’ an evil grin crept its way onto my face as this thought made it’s way into my mind.

“Oh thank you very much, I was lost and I felt so alone,” I broke down into fake sobs into Rarity’s forelegs.

Rarity looked down at me with pity in her expression “There, there” Rarity cooed gently as she slowly stroked my mane. I looked up with tear filled eyes.

“Th-thanks R-rarity this means a lot for m-me” I rubbed my crocodile tears away and pretend to wipe my muzzle, ‘Gullible little foals, tonight will be the rise of a new era!’ I climbed out of Rarity’s hooves and spoke to the group, “Alright girls, let go stop Nightmare Moon!” I couldn't help but snicker under my hoof at the thought of five measly mares stopping a goddess!

“Then what are we waiting for?!” The cyan pegasus shouted, the other mares cheered in response gaining new found confidence in them, we proceeded to walk towards the ancient ruins, little did they realize the malicious grin; plastered on my face.

“Um T-twilight, do y-you know where Nightmare Moon was going?” Fluttershy timidly asked, I turned around to face her, but she was hiding behind her long pink mane.

“Yes Fluttershy, I think she was heading towards the old ruins of the Everfree Forest.” Fluttershy nodded her head in confirmation. The pink mare was bouncing around the group singing some faust awful tune about ‘giggling at the ghosties’ but I just tuned out. Right now all I cared about was finding my mother and getting rid of all these annoying mares.

After about five minutes the pink mare stopped singing as we reached an old rickety rope bridge, half of the bridge was lopsided stopping us from crossing. The cyan mare flew up in the sky and puffed her chest out, “Don’t worry girls, I will go and fix it.” I sighed at the boisterous mares antics, ‘I can’t wait till I can knock her down a peg or two.’ out of the corner of my eye I spot a small wisp of purple smoke and lightly smiled to myself, knowing that my mother is not too far away.

Out of the thick fog the cyan pegasus screamed and quickly flew back to our group. “Some pegasi are trying to kill me!” I readied a fighting stance awaiting my opponents, suddenly a trio of familiar pegasi landed in front of me, suited in grey and purple flight suits, their eyes glowed yellow and their manes were wild and blue. But most importantly they were apparitions of my mother.

The leader of the trio stepped forward and winked at me, “You shall not pass, none shall harm our mistress Queen Nightmare Moon” Her voice was gruff and worn out, with another wink all three pegasi crouched down and prepared to lunge.

Keeping to my disguise I ignited my horn and sent three bolts of light towards the pegasi, each bolt hit its target and dissipated the apparitions, sending them back into the shadows. “Wowie Twi you just defeated three pegasus’s wait, pegasus’s or pegasi? Well anyway you were like pow, pow, pow and they just went poof, poof, poof!” The pink mare just grinned at me, but I was too confused how she managed to say all that in one breath.

“Err yeah, I figured out that they were nothing but shadows, so I used a simple light spell to get rid of them...” I said in a confused tone, but I figured out from the very beginning that I will never understand that pink mare. With the Shadow Bolts out of the way and the bridge repaired we crossed over the gauge. In front of us was a large oak double door, the door had intricate designs and engravings of both Nightmare Moon and Celestia.

I kept looking at the image of Celestia and my anger grew and grew, I ignited my horn once again and blasted the doors off its hinges and into splinters, the fashionista gasped. “Twilight, I can understand your anger towards Nightmare Moon, but there is no need to ruin such a masterpiece!” I frowned even more, ‘It was all her fault! It was Celestia’s fault for me being alone and orphaned for a thousand years!’

I began to collect myself, breathing heavily in anger. “She.Will.Pay!” I trotted through the gaping hole in the wall, I began to hear heavy hoof steps upstairs, my pace quickening as I began to sprint up the stairs; leaving my ‘companions’ far behind me.

As I reached the top of the stairs the hoof steps were getting louder; so was the voices of the five mares. My excitement getting to the better of me, I bucked the door open, revealing my mother pacing around in the room. Our eyes met and tears began to flow, I galloped towards my mother and embraced her in a rib crushing hug. ‘Finally, after a thousand years, I have my mother back!’

But to much of my dislike the five mares ran into the room. “What the hay do you think you are doing with Twilight you evil witch!” Rarity shouted across the room. I gritted my teeth in anger, ‘They will all pay for the disrespect they have shown to their true queen!’

“Let go of our Twi ya evil old hag!” Applejack shouted after Rarity, my anger began to boil over. The group of mares charged at Nightmare Moon in an attempt to ‘save’ me. Nightmare Moon stepped away from me and lowered her own horn, but I had enough.

I quickly lowered my own horn and encased them in a dark grey magical aura, all of the mares eyes were wide in shock. I lifted them all off the ground and flung them across the room and into the hard stone wall. “You insolent foals! Do not disrespect your Queen and my Mother!” My eyes flashed white and my disguise slowly melted away. My ethereal mane returned and my true colours flashed across my body, my wings slowly faded back and my horn grew another foot, and finally my cutie mark vanished and was replaced by an eclipsed sun.

“W-who are you?! W-what have you done with Twilight?!” The cyan mare shouted towards me, as she backed up into a corner out of fright. The rest of the mares copied the pegasus and backed away.

“I am Shadow Moon, Nightmare Moon’s daughter and heir to the throne! I am the bringer of the shadows and the harbinger of death. For the past thousand years I have been casted into hiding, forced to wear a mortals body, for the past thousand years I have been Twilight Sparkle; never aging and watching that tyrant bask in my mothers glory!.”

“Y-you're a monster!” The pink mare gathered the courage to defy me. She slowly rose and began to shout at me even more. “You’re a big meanie! You betrayed Celestia and you betrayed us too!”

I snapped at her and used the old Canterlot voice, “I’m the monster?! She banished my mother for wanting more appreciation of her night! And tell me foal, how can I betray somepony who I have never cared for?!” The group of mares recoiled in shock at the volume of my voice.

I ignited my elongated horn, glowing a sickly grey colour as it encased the mares once again. With a loud pop they vanished from my sight, leaving me and my mother alone in the ancient ruins.

“S-shadow Moon?” My mother timidly called my name, I turned around and our draconic eyes met again, I fell forward and sobbed into my mothers large chest. My mother gently cooed as I began to to cry, “Do not worry Shadow Moon, I am here once again and I will never leave you alone again.”

Sniffing into my mother’s chest I shakily spoke. “I-I have missed you too mother, I have been so lonely. Every night I gazed at your wonderful stars and moon praying for you to return.” I sniffed again. “I love you mother, I always will.”

“I do too my child.” Nightmare Moon picked me up off the ground and placed me back on my hooves, “Come Shadow Moon, It is time to take back what is rightfully ours.”

I smiled once again at my mother, knowing that I am no longer alone, “It is time for us to rule this kingdom once more, as daughter and mother.”

Author's Note:

Well I hope you enjoy the second chapter! It took a lot of brainstorming and sleepless nights to get this bad boy finished, but finally me and Field_Marshal_Luna finally finished it. Please leave comments on how we can improve the story, as well we are looking for an editor so if you think you can help out with proof reading etc just message us.

Finally we both wish all of our readers a happy new years!

- AfterTouch