• Published 15th Dec 2012
  • 920 Views, 5 Comments

Legends of Equestria: The War of The Moon and The Sun - FacadeArt



During one of her late night scoutings through Canterlot archives, Twilight Sparkle reads an ancient legend written over a thousand years ago

  • ...
2
 5
 920

The War of The Moon and The Sun

Twilight Sparkle yawned, once again she had holed up in the Canterlot archives going through old books and spells. The hour was late and outside the sun was already beginning to rise, even the purple unicorn had her limits and she decided to call it a night and headed back to the entrance.

On her way there something caught her eye, an old book in the corner of the archives that looked quite old and worn out. The book was in the "fiction" section which she didn't bother with much but this particiluar book seemed different somehow, like it didn't even belong there.

She levitated the book to her and read the title "Legends of Equestria: The War of The Moon and The Sun" she mumbled aloud. There was no marked author on the book which was normal for books of such age.

Twilight opened the old tome and on the back of the cover she found out that the book was almost over one thousand years old. She read a couple of lines from the book "Huh...that is some old Equestrian...facinating." she whispered to herself.

Intrigued she walked over to the reading table with the book and began reading:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The War of The Moon and The Sun

Princess Celestia stood on a plain of white grass. In the distance she could see the City of Everfree and the Alicorn tower. Then the light passed, and a tide of darkness rolled across the plains from the east, she stood there defiant yet, when the darkness arrived, she could not bring herself to strike it down. The wave passed her and consumed the land, the tower crumbled and collapsed to dust, the white grass died and the sun rose no more.

In fear she returned to the waking world hearing the sound of hoofbeats outside. Around her was a small room of white and gold that shook and rumbled, looking through a small window she saw the green plains of Equestria rushing by, she was in a royal carriage making its way to the east plains of Equestria. In the distance she could see the peak of Canterlot mountain and on the side of it the shades of towers.

The royal carriage rolled towards the dark blue towers. The moon towers they were called and two years ago the Goddess of The Night had taken her residence there. Princess Luna had desired for a palace of her own. A place where she could rest and ask questions from the stars and the towers had been built to the side of the Canterlot mountain: the tallest of the eastern peaks. Before the Night Princess arrived, It used to be the old watch tower: the eye of the east. Celestia was displeased with this arrangement, the sisters had become distant yet they were meant to rule together.

The carriage rolled across the plains of Equestria leaving the small trade village of Cross town behind them. In the west the Alicorn tower of Everfree city sparkled in the last rays of light as the sun set behind the white mountains.

Many times Celestia had invited Luna to the royal sisters palace in the Everfree city but she had simply answered: "Is the night not beautiful enough to be spent in the waking world? Let us meet under the stars!" and so they had decided.

The journey across the plains of Equestria was three days as the pegasus flies and five days on hoof. Celestia travelled with a company of four royal guards as she deemed a larger number unnecessary on her own land, on the fifth day she had slept.

After an hour the company arrived at the gates of dusk: two large, dark blue gates in a stone-wall that surrounded the Canterlot mountain. Steel trumpets sounded in the night as the gate guards, clad in black armor, greeted them.

"Hail Celestia! Goddess of The Day, Princess of Equestria! We welcome thee to the Land of The Night!" the guards said.

At this Celestia stepped outside of the carriage and answered "Surely you have been mistaken, guard of the night, for is this not the east plain of Equestria and not the land of the night as you have proclaimed?" the Guards opened the gates and bowed.

" It is merely the name that my goddess has ordered me to give, to your highness, as you passed to her lands." he said.

"Her lands? I would very much like to meet your goddess and have a word with her!" she answered and passed through the gate, anger in her eyes.

The company marched across the east plain of Equestria passing companies of night royal guards. "What is the meaning of this your highness? The eastern plain has been armed for war yet the command of the royal guard has not been informed?" the captain of Celestia's guards said.

"Do not fear Shining Dawn...I shall have the answers to these riddles from my sister as soon as we arrive" Celestia answered.

They passed in silence across the old road to canterlot mines. The mines had been closed long ago and now they served another purpose: the passage to the moon towers. As they approached the gate guards of the mines saluted and led them inside.

The mines were mines no more. A Great hall of black marble with silver lining greeted them as they entered. The wide vaulting was decorated with silver stars and the royal night guards stood next to the walls with silver swords on their sheats gleaming in the mystical moonlight that illuminated the area.

"We have prepared the royal quarters for your visit your highness" the royal night guard said "your company shall be appointed to a room of their own."

At this Shining Dawn stepped forward "This I cannot allow!" he said "for I am Shining Dawn, captain of the royal guard. I have pledged my life to protect the goddess of the sun and clearly the moon princess has claimed these lands as her own. The doubt that my princess will be safe here grows, for is this not treachery against the realm of Equestria? I shall guard her until death or until we part from these lands unharmed."

"Your doubt is misplaced Shining Dawn" the night guard said " for my princess does not invite her enemies to her halls. Still if it comforts your heart to stand by your princess then so be it."

Shining Dawn nodded and Celestia spoke "I would wish to apologize for my loyal guards harsh words" she said. "Yet I fear that doubt gnaws also in my heart... Take me to the Princess of the night so we may lay these doubts in peace." The night guard led them to the tower and Shining Dawn followed, guarding Celestia, looking around in suspicion for any traps that might befall them.

The halls of the palace were lit with deep windows that let the moonlight inside. On the walls were carvings of stars and many times they passed statues of Luna standing tall in triumph. The floor was of polished dark stone with flowing traceries of silver. There was no sign of woven hangings or wooden decorations, only tall dark halls made of stone with guards clad in black armor, standing cold and silent as statues.

The company arrived at the door of the highest chamber in the palace. Celestia halted before the tall silver doors. "I would wish for you to remain here Shining Dawn for, as suspicious as it seems, I doubt my sister would let harm fall on me. Stand here and do not let any soul pass through these doors while we have our council.."

"Very well your highness" Shining Dawn said. "But do not linger, for every moment you remain unguarded in these dark halls my heart grows ill with worry."

The door opened and Celestia looked into the great chamber. At the far end upon a dais of steps was set a high throne of dark marble. Behind it was carved upon the wall and set with silver an image of the crescent moon. On the throne sat the night blue alicorn wearing a cloak that changed between silver and black as she moved and on her head was a crown of silver. Seeing Celestia she stepped down to greet her. " I see you have arrived Princess Celestia" she said with a gleam of darkness in her eyes.

"That I have" Celestia said "I have arrived for our meeting Luna, and many questions has my visit here sprung. For how long have you concealed from me, your own sister, that the east plains of Equestria are now your lands?" she asked.

" But dear sister! Were we not meant to rule together? Do I not have the right for my share of land?" Luna said.

"Yes, we were meant to rule together and therefore there is no need to share our land for the land is already yours!" Celestia answered.

"Yet I feel that what you say is false, for I believe that you were given the greatest power in our co-ruling. Only during the night would you let me rule yet what power is there when all the mortals slumber? In my own land I shall rule both the beautiful night and the heat of day" Luna said.

"This is foolishness! Since when have you craved for power so?" Celestia answered stunned.

"Since you took all of it! It is amusing to hear these accusations of greed from you. Here I am asking you of a little share of your realm and you cannot even give me that?" Luna scoffed.

"Is this why you have armed these lands? Did you think that I would attack you as soon as I passed the gates? What has blinded you so my sister? What would drive you to doubt me?" Celestia said. "Yet hear this for I am not greedy nor do I wish to rule over you! I will let you govern these lands as you see fit for I still trust you even if your trust in me has faltered. May these words prove your doubts wrong!"

In joy Luna nuzzled her sister " Truly have I misjudged you for I did not expect you to find the will of letting even a shred of power escape you." with that she strode to the silver doors and opened them. "Bring me a table and the finest food! My beloved sister has arrived and in peace and agreement we shall feast tonight!" Luna proclaimed and the guards bowed and left for the goods.

Shining Dawn demanded to be allowed to guard Celestia during the feast and so he did standing next to her silently. Celestia talked with Luna about the comings and goings of Everfree city and the rest of Equestria yet even when Luna listened she seemed uninterested. When asked about her own plans for the Land of the night however she suddenly perked up but would not give a straight answer. "Oh that would be spoiling things would it not? I can promise that the land of the night will prosper!" was all that Luna said.

"If you ever wish to return to the Royal sisters palace in Everfree and rule together once more you are always welcome." Celestia said. "Remember that the moon cannot shine without the reflection of the sun."

"Yet the sun can shine without the moon? You are not threatening me are you sister?" Luna asked wryly.

"No, I am merely reminding you that harmony cannot be found in separation." Celestia answered "and disharmony leads only to ruin."

"You needn’t not remind me of that for I was there to witness the world of disharmony when Discord the god of chaos was defeated and the second age of mortals began." Luna said.

"Yet you forget that it was the power of harmony that led to his ruin? The same power your actions may now destroy?" Celestia said.

"Has greed taken over you after all? Would you deny me these lands?" Luna asked.

"That I would, yet I place my trust in you to see the error of your ways by yourself." Celestia said.

"So be it!" Luna said "I shall show you that you are mistaken for this land will prosper and outshine the white towers of Everfree City itself!" With that the rest of the feast passed in silence.

Luna bid them good night and a guard brought them through the doors of the chamber and led them downstairs through the dark halls. After a couple of turns they arrived in front of a room. On the door of the room there was a carving of the sun set with gold. The guard showed them to the room of white marble that looked much like the rooms of The royal sisters palace. Two large windows were on the outer wall of the room looking westward over the great rivers of the east. Far in the horizon loomed the peaks of the white mountains.

After seeing that all was well the night guard bowed and left. Celestia explained the situation to the captain and he frowned nervously. "It is worse then I thought then...she has taken these lands, mustered an army and she accuses you of greed. Should we prepare for war?" Shining Dawn said.

"No, for I let her have the lands. She is still my sister and I still trust her." Celestia said.

"Yet did you not notice the dark gleam in her eyes? And the cloak she wore to hide her secrets? It was not the Princess Luna, whom I served two years ago, that we met tonight." Shining Dawn said.

"I did notice the shadow around her yet I fear it is my fault this shadow has fallen. I feel that I have been blind that had I noticed sooner the jealousy that has taken a grip on her all this could have been avoided. All I can do now is show her that I respect her and hope this is merely a passing thing." Celestia said. But rest now Shining Dawn! We must hurry back to the City of Everfree and explain these changes to the citizens of Equestria. We shall leave at the first light of day."

As the day dawned the warm rays of the sun fell on the eastern plains of Equestria. Down in the plains shapes of ponies could been seen running around in a hurry while in the north the great lake of peaks rest glimmered in the sunlight. From the lake the eastern rivers flowed down like glittering snakes across the plains. Celestia had little time to admire the view however as she was preparing to leave as soon as possible. On the gates of the mines Luna bid them farewell "Farewell my dear sister! May your journey be safe and your guards swift!"

Celestia walked over to her carriage and turned to Luna "Farewell for now Luna, yet it is not too late to avoid this. Will you not return to Everfree City with me and forget this foolishness?" Celestia pleaded.

"I will not" Luna answered "but I wish the best of luck to you! Farewell!" Celestia said no more and she entered the carriage. The guards began to move and steel trumpets sounded once more as the carriage rolled away.

The guards were not too happy about this turn of events since they had just arrived. "I’m telling you its no good" one of them said "the plains are sprawling with royal night guards and now just after we arrived Celestia decides to rush back to Everfree city!"

Shining Dawn hushed, the soldiers "This visit has been strange indeed and you will hear of the things we have learned when the time comes. Yet now we must gallop with haste for this information must reach the city as soon as possible" he said.

And so they raced across the Plains of Equestria and on the evening of the fourth day the white towers of Everfree City loomed above them once more. The company of Celestia entered the city and all around them the passing ponies hailed in joy "The Princess of the sun has returned!"

Celestia's heart was heavy with worry for the news she bore were dark. How could the ponies of Equestria not take these tidings as acts of treachery? Passing through the city and to the gates of The Royal Sisters Palace she decided to wait until dawn before letting the city know of the changes in the east.

The night passed and in the dawn of the day the citizens of Everfree had gathered on the royal sisters square. Far above them stood princess Celestia on the balcony of the royal sisters palace. The princess had returned early from her trip to the moon towers and rumors circulated through the city of a disaster in the east. It was no wonder then that the square was full of ponies eager to hear of the news, much to the dismay of Celestia.

"Hear me citizens of Equestria for I bring tidings of change from the east" she boomed in the traditional canterlot voice. "For long my sister princess Luna and I have ruled the realm of Equestria together. This co-rule will continue but in another form. I have decided to give the rule of the eastern plains to my sister Princess Luna of Equestria" the crowd gasped in shock and murmured in protest

"Equestria has been divided!? The harmony of the royal sisters has come to an end?" they said.

"No my faithful subjects! Equestria is still whole!" Celestia cried. The crowd however was out of control and talks of treason began.

Suddenly one of the young soldiers stepped up on the fountain in the middle of the square "If the night princess wishes to have the east, then the west belongs to the dawn and Princess Celestia, Goddess of the sun! Hail Celestia ruler of the west!" he roared and the crowd cheered with him "Hail Celestia! Hail goddess of the sun!" Helplessly Celestia watched as the ponies of Everfree cheered and on that day the division of Equestria was complete.

Later that day she sat on the east balcony of the palace. Looking out to the peak of Canterlot Mountain she sighed. Shining Dawn stepped on the balcony and greeted her "Shining Dawn you have returned! How is your family?" Celestia asked

"Everything is well in the house of Sparkle but they are worried for me. Rumors of war and division have reached their ears and I hear that you have been named the ruler of the west." he said.

"What you have heard is true, I have failed and Equestria has fallen to disharmony." Celestia said in sadness. "But the whispers of war are false... yet I feel that had I refused the request of my sister, she would have brought that flame to our doorstep.”

"And she may yet bring it" Shining Dawn said. "Something has changed her... I could see the gleam of greed and jealousy in her eyes on that night. Something dark and terrible festers in the deep reaches of her mind. We must do something now and end this madness before it grows!" Celestia listened in silence and she would have not believed any word her guard said had she not seen her sister with her own eyes.

"What would you have me do? For thousands of years we have ruled together and faced darker times and now after all these ages you would have me raise against my sister? Nay, this I cannot do and I must trust that neither can she." Celestia said.

"Yet you know that there is wisdom in my words" Shining Dawn said.

"That I cannot deny" Celestia admitted "but I shall leave her to her own ways for now and then we shall see if my trust has been displaced."

"So be it my princess. I shall follow your decision for I am but a mere servant of your realm yet I would sooner forfeit my life then let any harm fall on you." Shining Dawn said.

"But you are not a mere servant for I am proud to call you my friend" Celestia said "and gladly I accept your council during these dark times."

Shining Dawn bowed " I thank you my princess." he said.

"But let us rest now Shining Dawn for the day has been long and much in the world has changed." Celestia said "I shall meet you again on the first rays of sunlight."

And so the days turned into weeks and the weeks turned into months yet no word from Luna or from the east was heard. Only traders of the east brought news that varied greatly. Some said that new mysterious buildings had risen across the plains and some said that nothing had changed at all. Celestia did not dare to visit the east or send her scouts to investigate for she feared that her sister would take them as acts of distrust.

It was a cold autumn morning when Celestia stood on the balcony once again. Shining Dawn kept her company as she watched out to the east in thought "Long have been my nights of late" Celestia said "for the secrets of the east keep me away from my dreams at night. Yet so dark have my dreams been that perhaps I do not wish to return to them."

Shining Dawn frowned "I see you suffer and it saddens my heart! Let me scout the lands of the east! Great are my skills in secrecy and these lands are known to me. Let me go and have your heart at ease!" He said.

Celestia shook her head "No, I cannot allow it even if I wish to do so. I shall have to wait for the invitation of my sister." Celestia said.

"How long would she have you wait? Many times you have invited her yet she has refused. My princess..." Shining Dawn said "Is she still worthy of your trust?"

For a moment Celestia remained silent and answered " Yes, yes she is for we had an agreement. She does not answer to me for we are equal. If I were to break that agreement now would it not betrayal on my part?" she said.

"That it would be yet I fear for our safety." Shining Dawn said.

"Then I shall ease the worry in your heart instead" Celestia said "for when the leaves fall again in the forests of Everfree I shall visit the east should she invite me or not!"

Finally in a summer night, after a year had passed, a messenger came from the east clad in a black cloak. The guards would not let the stranger in and halted her at the gates. "Halt! What brings you to the Everfree City, pony of the east?" they said.

"I bring an invite from the goddess of the night. She wishes to see her sister Princess Celestia in the land of the night immediately" the messenger said.

"We shall deliver this message to her highness! You may enter yet you shall remain guarded. No spies of the east shall walk inside these walls freely." the guards said.

"Nay, I must leave for my land immediately." the stranger said.

"will you not wait for the answer of the sun goddess?" the guards asked surprised.

"Oh there is no need. She will come." With that the messenger galloped away vanishing in the shadow of the night.

As the news were brought to Celestia she was filled with curiosity and excitement. She met the captain of the guard at dawn."I shall travel by flight Shining Dawn for then the journey will take me only three days. I will have you take care of matters here while I am away." she said.

"But your highness! You cannot ask me to let you pass into the unknown alone!" Shining Dawn said.

"Then what would you do if things should turn ill on the eastern plains?" Celestia said.

"Fight to defend you until death my princess" Shining Dawn answered.

"Yet I do not wish for your death or the death of any of my ponies. Even you cannot defeat all the armies of the night guard and your death would be in vain. Nay! I shall go alone for it is my duty and my will." and before Shining Dawn could say another word she took off to the skies of Equestria.

It was on that day when Celestia goddess of the sun witnessed smoke rising over the eastern plains of Equestria. Long was her flight to the land of the night and dark was the air as she approached. She flew with great haste with no need of sleep nor food. Late on evening of the second day she came to the gates of dusk and noticed that the black wall had been greatly expanded to surround the eastern plains. She noticed that the gate was strongly guarded.

"Who goes there?" the gate guards asked.

"I Princess Celestia have come!" Celestia cried.

"We have expected you sun goddess! The night princess awaits you! Let us take you to her" the guards said.

"Nay! For twelve months have I waited and I shall wait no more!" Celestia answered and flapping her great white wings she flew over the dark walls.

As soon as she passed over the land of the night she felt afraid. Great buildings of stone littered the land and from their chimneys a black smoke rose high above the plains and around the buildings the grass had died. Weary looking ponies ran around bringing more wood and metal to feed the fires.

These were great factories meant for the crafting of weapons. Celestia gasped at this wretched sight and felt more afraid than ever before. But she flew to the highest chamber of the moon towers and came to the throne of Luna and there she met her sister once more. Luna wore a great helm of silver and her coat had taken the color of pure darkness.

"We meet again Celestia." She said and in her eyes was a deep darkness and a glint of a cold laughter.

"Yes we meet again Princess Luna and once more your actions here startle me." Celestia said and that title seemed to annoy her sister greatly.

"Do they now Ruler of the west?!" Luna cried " for we are merely preparing for the inevitable! Was it not you who said that the moon cannot shine without the sun yet the sun can shine without the moon? Should we wait here like an old blind mare while you plot against us?"

"I have done you no wrong!" Celestia said "Nor do I intend to do so! Stop this foolishness at once! Can you not see that the land suffers and the ponies despair?"

"And they will suffer as long as you remain to hinder me! But we shall strike you down first! This realm shall be mine and the beauty of the night shall last forever and you shall see that the moon can indeed shine without the sun! For I am Queen Luna! Goddess of the night! Ruler of the mortals!" Luna cried.

"And ruler of the world of disharmony! What balance is there when only the night remains? None! Yet you would repeat the mistakes of Discord and bring the second age of chaos upon this world?!" Celestia said.

"Discord the trickster? Discord the jester?" Luna scoffed "You need not speak to us as to a fool! What balance is there when only the day remains then? One of us must take this place of a ruler!"

"Yet I offer you co-rule where we both may govern in peace!" Celestia said.

"You offer me a place in your shadow! You would have me cower in the night while the mightiest deeds are done under your day!" Luna said. "Yet I have not brought you hither to be instructed by you! This is but the first great step towards the realm of the night for you shall be my guest here until the world of the mortals falls!" and Luna rose above Celestia and from her horn streamed an unknown magic of the ancient world, black as a starless night.

Celestia saw that against this ancient power she could not prevail and she said. "There is no need for this madness! I do not know what dark power has taken you yet I shall not fight against my sister! You may take me and I shall come willingly."

And Luna laughed at her and laid her hoof on Celestia's shoulder. "Then you shall be taken to a room that looks high above the plains of Equestria so you may witness the end of your realm." Luna said coldly and with a spark of magic a black ring wrapped itself around Celestias horn and she could cast magic no more.

"This is one of the black rings of the mortal wars." Celestia said "Only in the ancient lands the rings that can block the magic of Alicorns remain...tell me dark spirit, are you not from these cursed lands?"

Luna laughed at this "Let that remain as a riddle to you for you shall have all the ages of this world to ponder it!"

Celestia was taken to a high chamber in the tower and there she lay hopelessly. From the barred window she saw the east plains of Equestria and what once had been green and fair upon those lands was no more. Great forges for weapons littered the land and ponies clad in black armor were housed on the fields. Far in the north she saw that a harbor had been built upon the shores of peaks rest and a river from the north brought purple ships through the mountains. On the ships she saw bat ponies: beings of the shadow realms that lay north beyond the eastern peaks. Promises of eternal night had no doubt brought them here from the confines of their homes.

Then she looked west and feared that one day when the ponies of Everfree City realized that she would not return they would no doubt gather their armies and march east to their deaths for the forces of Luna were too great. She would hear the golden trumpets of the western armies and see the ponies of her realm slay each other on the plains of Equestria. It seemed unavoidable. There was no escape from the chamber for the doors and the windows had been enchanted.

The black ring was of ancient magic from a time when Celestia was still young and the alicorns ruled the world. It was unknown to her and her heart was filled with despair. "What a fool have I been for it was not in Luna that I placed my trust in but a dark being of the ancient world!" Celestia cried.

The night passed and then the greatness of her peril dawned on her for she could not rise the sun. It would not be days but a few hours when the ponies of the west would realize that their princess had been captured. Luna was aware of this for her armies of bat ponies marched on the walls and drums sounded on the fields. "A great disaster is upon Equestria yet all I can do is watch! How did it come to this? Why do I have to suffer so?" Celestia said to herself.


"It is the bitter cold of betrayal you have felt, goddess of the sun, yet this betrayal will be paid with another." was the unexpected response and from the door of the chamber a young light grey unicorn stepped forward and on her head flowed a mane of deep blue. Celestia gasped at the sight for she knew who this mare was.

"You are Blue Star the protegee and personal student of Luna herself are you not?" Celestia said. "What has brought you here? Do you wish to gloat at me during the hour of my despair?!" and such was the anger in Celestia's voice that the unicorn whimpered yet she did not falter.

"Be at ease my goddess for I intend to stop this impending doom and release you from these dark halls" Blue Star said "the reasons for this are my own yet I wish to come with you to Everfree City for I bear information that concerns your sister."

And suddenly hope lived again in Celestia's heart and she sprung up from the floor in joy. "Then let us not linger! For if you were to release me I shall let you walk upon the white halls of the alicorn tower itself!" she said. Blue Star approached her with caution.

"These enhancements that confine you I can remove for I know the secrets of this tower" Blue Star said "yet this ring remains a mystery to me.. I am afraid I have no solution for it."

"All I ask you is to lead me to the west as soon as possible! This ring blocks my magic and my flight. Is there no way that we may leave this tower in secret?" Celestia said.

"The Canterlot mines are deep and full of secrets." Blue Star said. "These secrets are also known to me. There is a way there that will lead us to the west plains of Equestria."

And suddenly to the surprise of Blue Star, Celestia leaped forth and gave her a hug "Great is your wisdom Blue Star and fair is your heart! For this I will be eternally grateful!" Celestia said.

Blue Star blushed and said "Then follow me your highness for the night has not yet passed."

And they raced across the halls of the palace until Blue Star halted in front of a seemingly normal wall. "Why has thou halted Blue Star? Surely you do not doubt your decicions now?" Celestia said.

"No, I do not" Blue Star said and then she spoke words of the ancient alicorn language. The wall moved aside and a dank black cave was behind it.

"These mines are old indeed when words of the forgotten language reveal its secrets." Celestia said amazed.

"That they are. Yet it was Luna who taught me its secrets. An ancient being has been whispering them in her ear." Blue Star said darkly. The ponies rushed inside the cave and the wall closed silently behind them. Blue Star illuminated the way with her magic and Celestia followed. "These mines were carved during the first age of mortals when the alicorns returned to the heavens and the mortals fought the god of chaos." Blue Star said. "here the last remaining alicorns hid deep under the mountains from the armies of Discord."

"You are the personal student of Luna indeed." Celestia laughed "yet you need not lecture me of things that I have experienced for myself. But I must admit that I knew not of these hidden mines of the east for I led the mortals in the south where Discord was finally defeated."

Blue Star smiled sheepishly "Forgive me for I forgot who I was speaking to yet I would very much like to lectured by you instead." she said.

Celestia gave her a warm laugh "Should all turn well I would be glad to speak with you of the history of this realm." she said "but come now Blue Star! The world is in the brink of chaos once more! And we must hurry to prevent it!" with that they picked up their pace.

After an hour of galloping Blue Star grew weary. Celestia however showed no sign of slowing down. "I shall go on ahead of you Blue Star" Celestia said "but should we not meet again tonight wait for me at the exit of this tunnel and I will come for you when this disaster has been avoided!"

"Wait Celestia!" Blue Star cried "For I have been untrue to you! Let me remove that black ring which hinders you!"

Celestia halted and turned to the Grey Unicorn yet there was no surprise in her expression. "I am sorry I did not tell you this...for I feared you.." Blue Star said but Celestia interrupted her

"You did not trust me?" she said. " I am not a fool Blue Star for I saw the doubt in your eyes when we met. Yet I am glad you have found it in your heart to not doubt me anymore."

Blue Star looked at her with an expression of relief. "Removing the ring will drain me of my strength and I will pass to the realm of dreams. I must ask you to carry me the rest of the way your highness..." Blue Star said.

"Then it will be done." Celestia said. And with that the unicorn cast a spell that shook the walls of the cave and the ring was removed. Power surged in Celestia once more as she picked up the unconcious unicorn and the black ring. She galloped with great speed towards the exit of the cave. Soon she heard the sound of stomping hooves above her.

"Time...there is no time." she said and Reaching for her ancient magic she blast through the ceiling of the cave and ground and flew outside from the hole that was created. There she saw the golden armored ponies of the royal guard marching east led by Shining Dawn: captain of the guard.

"Halt! Halt!" Celestia cried and wasting no time she raised the sun and cried "The dawn has come! And your princess is well! Return to your homes ponies of Equestria for your goddess commands so!" And the royal guard of Celestia watched in awe and quickly they marched back for the Everfree City led by Celestia. Far on the walls of the east the bat ponies screamed in panic as the light of the sun blinded them and they routed for the caves of the canterlot mines.

Blue Star woke and found herself lying on a bed. She was staring at a strange ceiling of white marble. For a while she wondered if Luna had suddenly redecorated her black chambers. Then she noticed the rays of sunlight flowing from the tall windows of the room. "What...where am I?" she said.

"In the royal sisters palace" answered a voice. Blue Star sprung up from the bed. Celestia was there standing by the window looking east. "Then...the war has been averted?" Blue Star said.

Celestia walked to her "Yes thanks to you...yet I fear it has been merely delayed." she said. "By now Luna knows of my escape and of your betrayal. Yet her plan has failed...for now. I would wish to know of the information that you mentioned last night yet I cannot bring myself to question a pony in hunger! Come, let us talk matters over at breakfast."

After Blue Star had washed herself in the great baths of the royal palace she ate with Celestia under the midday sun. "I would wish to have a brief tale from you Blue Star but very brief mind you! A time will come when you may reveal all that you know for I have called for a meeting."
Celestia said.

"A meeting?" Blue Star asked.

"Yes a meeting where we will decide what to do with the threat of Luna" Celestia answered.

"Then I would begin my tale" Blue Star said. "by telling you that it is not Luna who threatens Equestria but a dark spirit of the ancient lands that has taken over her. I do not know exactly what this spirit is yet I have heard Luna utter its name many times now during these past weeks. She calls it...Nightmare Moon."

For a moment Celestia remained silent until finally she said "Yes I noticed the ancient magic she posessed...yet it seems that the magic has posessed her instead."

"It has" Blue Star said "and I wish to save Luna from it if there is any way to do so."

"And so do I" Celestia said "but let us not speak of it no more until the meeting." after they had finished a white coated stallion wearing a white cape that bore the symbol of the sun on its back entered. On him was harness and on the harness hung a golden sword.

"Shining Dawn!" Celestia said and nuzzled him "I would like you to meet Blue Star."

"So you are the protegee of Luna?" Shining Dawn said "I am Shining Dawn captain of the guard. I hear that you were the one who helped my princess and saved this land from a disaster and for that I cannot thank you enough." Blue Star stared at the white stallion and to her he seemed like a noble lord of old. Then he bowed and Blue Star blushed.

"I would like you to keep her company while I search the old archives of the alicorn tower. New questions have surfaced that need answering." Celestia said.

"I shall guard her with my life." Shining dawn said and Blue Star blushed again.

"No need for that Shining Dawn!" Celestia laughed "showing her around the palace will be quite enough."

With that Celestia left for the archives. "Shining Dawn?" Blue Star said "Do you know who will be attending this meeting Celestia spoke of?"

"I know that you and I will be attending and so will princess Celestia." Shining Dawn said. "The representatives of the earth pony realm of terra from the south and the pegasi of the realm of Aeril from the north should attend as well."

"Pegasi? The winged ponies?" Blue Star asked.
"Yes the winged ones." Shining Dawn said. "We have also called for the bearded wizard."

"The bearded wizard? You speak of Starswirl the Bearded do you not?" Blue Star gasped.

"Yes, I speak of him." Shining Dawn answered. "Though I doubt that he will arrive. He wanders here and there searching for new spells and secrets of this world yet should he come and abandon his research it would prove that the situation is dire indeed."

"You have met him then?" Blue Star wondered.

"Yes, I have met him for he visits Celestia now and then and they speak on the matters of magic. I assume that as one who studies magic you admire him do you not?" Shining Dawn said.

"I do" Blue Star answered happily "all of his works are familiar to me and I cannot wait to converse with him."

"I hope that he does not arrive for that would mean dire times for us all..." Shining Dawn sighed "yet even if he does I am glad that atleast you will be overjoyed." he laughed. "But come now Miss I should show you the royal sisters palace."

"Thank you but there is no need" Blue Star said "For I have seen it when Luna and I lived here."

"Oh of course." Shining Dawn said sheepishly "You may wonder freely then but I should let you know that when the bells of the alicorn tower ring twice the meeting shall begin on this hall."

It was a week later when the bells of the alicorn tower finally rang and Blue Star, having read the palace library twice, made her way to the chamber. Grave faces turned to meet her as she entered.

Celestia was there and so was Shining Dawn. Celestia stood at the end of a long table and many other ponies stood about her. She drew Blue Star to stand next to her and then she presented her to the meeting.

"This is the one who rescued me from the moon towers. She is Blue Star the personal student of Luna. She has been close to my sister and knows of the dark spirit that has taken over her." Then she introduced those unknown to Blue Star. Beside Shining Dawn on the left side of the table there were two other leaders of the royal guards and several counsellors of the city. On the right side There was a company of six earth ponies from the earth pony realm of terra all wearing garments of fur with decorations of gold. Two of them were older stallions and three were mares. One of them was a younger mare: she wore a cloak lined with fur and her coat was of light brown. She carried a crossbow and a curved sword made of steel with rubies set on the hilt. Celestia named her Sandstone a leader of the south east scouts of the earth pony realm of Terra.

Standing next to the earth ponies was an old unicorn stallion with a wise and noble face, white haired and blue eyed, and a long white beard. He wore a dark blue cloak complete with a hat and on them hung many golden bells that gleamed in the sunlight. On a harness under his cloak hung a sword of obsidian that was richly carved: one of the mage blades of the alicorn tower.

"Here," said Celestia "is Starswirl the Bearded a wizard of high skill and a old friend of mine. He arrived from the north yesterday bringing dark tidings." A set of seats on the table was empty however: the pegasi had not come.

Much was told of what had happened between Luna and Celestia during the past three years. The company listened attentively about the dark spirit of Nightmare Moon.

"It was many ages ago during the creation of my sister that the dark spirit of Nightmare Moon came upon this world. This is but a legend from the archives of the alicorn tower written in the alicorn language yet it may hold a seed of truth. I shall translate it to Equestrian as best as I can"
Celestia said and began reading:

""In the early ages of the world, Aeril: the Alicorn of the sky drew the power of the moon to create a spirit that would bring dreams and rest to the mortals. It was by this spirit that the night and the stars were created and during this new night the mortals slept peacefully. Aeril was so grateful of this that she decided to gift the spirit with a body so it could walk among the mortal world. Yet before the spirit took shape she noticed that the spirit was not one but two: the spirit of restful dreams and its opposite: the spirit of nightmares and unrest. Secretly the nightmares had seeped to the minds of mortals and many of them could rest no more. So disgusted was Aeril of this other half that he separated the two and cast the nightmare deep into the bowels of the world. The remaining spirit of rest and peace was given a body and she was named Luna goddess of the night while the other half remained forever wondering with no shape of its own.""

"Nightmare Moon! Long it had desired to return to its other half and long it had called for Luna in the ancient lands!" Blue Star said "for It was three years ago when a fowl wind flowed from the south and Luna told me of the whispers she had heard as if a friend long forgotten was calling her from the ancient lands. I pleaded her not to go and let the world of old lie for no mortal has dared to venture there since the first age of mortals began. But Luna listened to the whispers and resolved to go and though I wished to go with her she would not let me and told me to keep it as a secret. So I waited and one day she returned seemingly unchanged and I thought none of it. But then she began speaking in envy of Celestia and on that night we moved to the old watchtower of the eye of the east."

"I should have never let her go." Celestia said remorsely.

"Yet she would have left anyway." Blue Star said "slowly she became more greedy and more jealous of Celestia and deep in my heart I knew that something had happened in the ancient lands yet I could not bring myself to face the truth. It was only when she imprisoned the goddess of the sun and called the bat ponies of the shadow realms to join her armies that I could not avoid it: Luna had been taken by an ancient evil."

"This answers one of my questions" Starswirl the bearded said "for the bat ponies of the north are moving. It seems they have found a new leader after Duskfang, queen of the bat ponies, was slain by Commander Hurricane, leader of the pegasi. To hear that it is Nightmare Moon who leads them now is a dark turn of events indeed." Then he turned and pointed his hoof at the empty seats. "The pegasi of the realm of Aeril are not present yet not of their own will! The bat ponies have taken the borders of the north and the messengers of Equestria cannot reach them. Therefore the pegasi remain oblivious to the matters here." he said.

"Then we and none others must decide what to do with the threat of Nightmare Moon." Celestia said.

"What is to be done then, to this dark mind of the ancient lands that even you cannot oppose in power? What is this cunning spirit planning in the confines of its cold tower?" Starswirl the Bearded said.

"She plans to lead us to disharmony." Celestia said."Yet there exists a power that can defeat her! And now I will tell you of the creation and purpose of that power: The Elements of Harmony!"

Then Celestia told them of the ancient war between harmony and chaos during which the world of the mortals was created. She told them that the elements of harmony were forged so through them the mortals could wield the power of the ancient alicorns and oppose chaos after the age of the alicorns had passed. Then she told them of the beginning of the first age of mortals when she and Luna were sent to slumber in the moon and the sun while the alicorns returned to the heavens. And of the beginning of the second age of mortals when they woke and fought with the mortals using the elements of harmony to defeat Discord.

"Noble were the banners of Equestria and forever shall I remember when the ponies of this world stood united as one against the tides of chaos. Yet after the war was over the different ponies demanded lands of their own and so I gave the fertile lands of the south to the earth ponies and the high mountains of the north to the pegasi. The unicorns remained here with Luna and me so they could learn the spells of old. And so ended the first age of mortals and such harmony was never again seen on these lands."

"Yet it seems that we must unite once more and Nightmare Moon knows that only through harmony we can oppose her. It is in the ancient power of The Elements of Harmony that we must place our hopes in for all beings of chaos are weak to them. Yet I do not know where they lie now for they were lost after the war. The elements work in curious ways often taking a new shape or form." Celestia said.

"Then should we seek them hopelessly?" Shining Dawn said. "I say we gather our forces and make a stand here! The walls of Everfree City are of old alicorn magic. let them come and we shall strike them down at our gates."

"It is true that the walls of Everfree City are strong. Yet when the full moon of new years eve rises eternal night shall fall upon these lands again for then her power will reach its height." Celestia said. " for it was the night Nightmare Moon was brought to this world and on that night she will strike again. Nay! against the power of Nightmare Moon there will be no victory by arms alone."

"Then we have but one choice..." Blue Star said. "We must find the Elements of Harmony."

"I might have a solution to both of your problems! I have not travelled in the north out of leisure." Starswirl said. "For it was my long search for the Elements of harmony that led me there. I have followed the trail of the elements for some time now and only recently have I discovered that it was Commander Hurricane, king of the pegasi, who took the elements of harmony after the war and hid them deep in the vaults of mount Aeril."

At this the earth pony Sandstone spoke up "So it was Commander Hurricane that took the elements! It is no wonder then that in the south we have not heard of them for they were never seen there." she said.

"That is true Sandstone of Terra." Starswirl said. "Alas! After finally discovering the location of the elements, I cannot reach them for I found the armies of the shadow realms and could not pass!"

"So...you claim that the elements have laid in the north all this time" Celestia said. "I fear that somehow Nightmare Moon was aware of this"

"I fear so as well" Starswirl said "for her armies have surrounded that land from all sides... now only the most secret and forgotten ways can take you to the realm of Aeril.” Starswirl said and for a moment he remained silent then he spoke "I know one of these ways yet it is full of peril and I do not dare to venture there alone. Therefore I have come to Equestria looking for aid yet now it seems that we both have the desire of finding these ancient artefacts."

"Then it is well that you have come." Celestia said."for It is clear now that all the ways of defeating Nightmare Moon lie in the north. Therefore I have decided that we must gather a company of the ponies here that will go with Starswirl the bearded to seek for `The Elements of Harmony and ask for the aid of the pegasi." All of the ponies stared at her yet said nothing.

"The number must be few for our hope lies in speed and secrecy, were I to send an army of the royal guard to the north it would leave the city defenseless and the armies of the night would overwhelm it. Therefore even I cannot come. Others must take this path but it will be very hard yet such is the course of this world sometimes. The small must act while the great are elsewhere." Celestia said. "but I will not lay this burden on any of you! If somepony here must take this task then they must take it freely. And now I ask you: who will go on this quest to the unknown to save this land from its impending doom?"

And a long silence fell upon the meeting for nopony dared to speak. Yet it was Blue Star who finally spoke "I will come, if you will have me for Luna is my princess and I will do all in my power to save her."

"A noble cause indeed." Starswirl said "and gladly do I accept you to my company."

"Then the ponies of the south will not stand idle while Equestria hangs on the balance!" Sandstone said "I will come as well and see that the pegasi of the north hear the call of war!"

And she did not hear Starswirl answer when Shining Dawn spoke "As the captain of the royal guard I shall come too for it is my duty to keep these lands safe and it seems that only the elements of harmony can save us now." No other ponies spoke after that and the four volunteers stood there in silence. "So be it" Celestia said "four ponies from the four corners of this land will set on this quest: Blue Star of the east, Shining Dawn of the west Sandstone of the south and Starswirl of the north.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*CLING*

Twilight was startled from her reading when the door to the archives were opened by the royal guards, the morning had already come and the rays of light poured in from the windows. She looked back at the book and sighed.

"Heh...what an old marestale." she said amused.

Feeling extremely tired she returned the book and made her way back to her tower for a good nights sleep, or in this case a good days sleep.

Comments ( 5 )

I do enjoy this historical stories. :moustache:

1805185

Thank you! I was really in that weird mood of writing in a oldish way, like a folk tale of sorts.

Wow, this was excellent.
1805185
Also, welcome back

1809291

Really? Well, thanks! :pinkiesmile:

Login or register to comment