• Published 7th Dec 2012
  • 4,165 Views, 555 Comments

Sin - MemoryLane



Lust. Greed. Gluttony. Wrath. Pride. Envy. Sloth. What do they mean?

  • ...
20
 555
 4,165

Ch. 23: Forage

I could literally not fathom what had just happened, really. I'm kind of at a loss for what we should do next. I'm pretty sure this Ennui mare just killed a Changeling by snapping it's neck! I was hoping she would just knock him out! I didn't expect her to have to kill him like that!

I didn't know whether to feel angry, or bad for the Changeling. I doubt it deserved what she did to it. Luckily it was a quick way to die. I've seen worse ways a pony can die with my own eyes.

After Ennui had cleverly hid the body in the darkest corner of the room, we both looked out of the room. There were two corridors. One to the left, and one to the right. Both lead into darkness. I started to assess the situation. Sure, I may be gorgeous, but I'm pretty smart as well. A lot of ponies underestimate me when they shouldn't.

I noticed the other guard say that he was going on break and headed right. So it would make sense that the exit would be left. But you can't be too sure.

I looked over at Ennui, who was looking at the ground, not even trying to help. I felt bad for her, but I also felt bad for the Changeling she kiled. Eh, whatever. It didn't matter now. What's done is done.

I poked her and pointed left, trying to tell her what I was thinking while being as quiet as possible. I'll admit it, I'm not the most quiet pony(I've been told that I'm a loudmouth by MANY ponies. I just don't know what would make them think that though), but this situation calls for it. If the Changelings discover the we have escaped, and killed one of their guards, they'll execute us for sure.

Well, that was my pessimism taking over, but you know what I mean.

I started to tip-toe down the left corridor, while Ennui sighed and followed me. It didn't take me long to figure out that she was Sloth, as it was increasingly obvious just by listening to her talk, as she even did that lazily. She honestly looked like she could pass out any minute, either that or she was extremely depressed, but I decided not to worry about it.

The corridor walls were like a black web, stretching far in wide. I knocked on it, only to realize that it was fairly solid, to my surprise. I don't really understand Changelings at all...

Ennui let out another soft sigh. I looked at her, it's almost as if she was begging to be consoles. Which I'm not good at. I'm used to other ponies give ME attention. I also noticed that Ennui was trying to create small talk with me earlier, which was a first. No one's actually ever tried to talk to me before. I don't have very many friends, and I'm told it's because I boast and that I'm usually full of myself. Which I find untrue. What's wrong with thinking highly of myself?

The compliments I give myself are only to make myself feel better...

"So..." To my shock, Ennui spoke up again. But this time, she wasn't smiling or chuckling. "What do you do for a living?" She asked me. Ha! Excellent question!

"Well! I am an artist! I've created many works of art that have been seen in various museums and art exhibits all over Equestria!" I boasted with a large smile on my face. "I'm sure you've heard of my most recent painting? I named it 'Death by Candlelight'!

"I've never heard of it nor you."

I felt my heart drop a little bit, but I quickly recovered. "Well then what do YOU do?" I asked, poking her side and making her giggle a little bit. Apparently she's ticklish?

"I'm a video game beta tester." She monotoned. She smiled as if she took great pride in that. It didn't make sense to me. Why would she be happy doing something so...low class?

"Oh. I've never heard of you either." I tried to remark snakily, but she just quietly laughed it off.

"I don't expect you too." Something about the way she speaks. Something about her makes me feel...something. It's like a mix of frustration, great confusion, and understanding. I decided not to question it. Now was not to the time to get lost in my thoughts. We still needed to get out of here. "Anyways...I've been wondering. How did you get to the Castle before?" She asked me, and I let out an annoyed groan.

I can tell you this: it wasn't pleasant.

I began to tell her the story about how I was taking a shower when I got a knock on the door. I was in my bathrobes when I opened the door, expecting it to maybe just be a visitor, I just planned on telling them to hold on for just a moment. But no. It wasn't. They pretty much GRABBED me and threw me into their carriage, all the while explaining me about the Changelings and whatnot. To be honest I was barely listening. I spent most of the time trying to thrash and get out of the Royal Guards grip. I didn't tell her this but I was also freaking out when the carriage took flight. I don't like heights. Being up high makes me plain nauseous.

"I guess my story would just piss you off then. It was much simpler and less rugged than yours." She brought a hoof to her chin as she thought. "Nevermind. I just remembered." She looked at me with a funny smile on her face. "You know that fiery stallion?" She asked.

I think I did. He was actually pretty hard to miss. I nodded at her.

"Yeah. He almost slit my throat."

I dropped my jaw and just barely refrained from letting out a loud "WHAT!?"

"Yeah. We broke into his house because we needed somewhere to stay. Dude came back and grabbed me when I wasn't looking." Ennui explained. That's....that's crazy! Is that stallion insane!?

As we moved on down the corridor, it seemed like we were getting nowhere. The hallway just seemed to keep going on and on. I almost felt like stopping, but there's no way that can happen. Ennui suddenly stopped and turned to me.

"Look. I'm just going to come out and ask you, because I'm not good at these types of things." Oh God, she's not going to.... "Wanna be...friends?" Oh.

Friend?

"Uh, well you see, I don't have many friends." I told her, blushing a little bit. Most of the time I would lie and say that I have tons, but right now I have no reason to. I'm assuming she doesn't have many either due to the way she asked me. At first I thought she was going to ask me on a date. That...would have been weird.

"Neither do I. And I'm trying to make some..." Ennui said, sighing. That feeling deep inside of me came up again. I gave her a happy nod, smiling ecstatically.

Finally. A friend. Someone who actually...likes me.

Ennui gave me a hug, and with that, we continued to walk down the corridor, which still seemed never-ending right about now.

***

Fluttershy, you are now officially crazy. Seriously. Dynamite!? That's ludicrous! Well, sure it might work, but it's still crazy! I tried to protest the use of dynamite, saying that there must be another way to break in without using explosive material and possibly bringing the whole castle down on top of us, but Rainbow butted in, speaking up for everyone.

"Chill out Rarity!" She shouted as she set the finally pieces of dynamite outside of the door in a clean and proper row. "There's no harm in trying!"

I scoffed slightly before retaliating. "There's harm if this whole castle falls down on us!" I complained. I was actually a little afraid, but I didn't want to let it show. I was just going to have to suck it up. Rainbow rolled her eyes, not wanting to hear me, she flew over to Applejack, Pinkie, and Fluttershy, who were already taking covered behind a downed pillar on the other side of the room. I looked at the dynamite just in time to see Rainbow light them all. I opened my mouth to tell her to put out the fuses, but she quickly tackled me(Messing up my mane. Again. What else is new...) and almost tossed me behind the pillar, where she gingerly took a seat.

About ten seconds passed, but nothing happened.

"Isn't it supposed to-"

"Shh!"

A minute passed this time, but still nothing happened. Rainbow stood up, agitated by the lack of explosion and action that she was expecting. "Come on!" She threw her hooves in the air.

"You have ta be patient, Dash." Applejack said, holding her cowpony hat firmly.

"Maybe it just needs some lov-" Pinkie started, but she was interrupted as a giant explosion blew shrapnel and other sharp objects through the room like the flying metallic death bringers they were. Luckily enough, Rainbow was able to duck in time as to not get hit with anything. I heard Fluttershy squeak loudly in fear as the blast rang out. My mane was going to be a complete mess after this...

Everyone was very much dazed after the blast, and there was a terrible and deafening ringing in my ears. No matter how I held my ears, it wouldn't go away. Everyone else seemed to have the same ailment, because they were covering their ears in pain as well.

After a few moments, the ringing went away and everyone finally started to stand up to survey the damage. There was good news and bad news. The dynamite had worked, as it had blasted the door open, but unfortunately now the box was lost in a pile of rubble.

"We're gonna have to dig." Applejack stated, with a sigh. "Come on..." She said as she walked over to the rock and forcefully moving the first one out of the way.

This was going to be a long day...

***

So, this is great. Absolutely BUCKING great. First off, I'm accused of being a fat ass, and asked to come to Ponyville with a few other "sins" or whatever. THEN, I have to come all the way to fricken Canterlot, only to fall down the stairs and get told that my whole family line was screwed up because of the Princess being unwilling to change herself. I fall down the damn stairs and almost kill Cashmere.

And finally to top it off, I'm being forced to stay back and assist Cashmere as he tries to save Covette. Great. This is just unfair! I mean, Kindling gets to go fight off Changelings, Twilight and Aphrodite get to go help find Ennui and Vanity, oh, and Fluttershy and her friends get to find the Element of Harmony. Oh...Fluttershy, she was a nice one alright. She reminded me of me in a way. Kind of shy, and not very social. Hey, maybe we could hang out or someth-

Oops, back to my rambling.

But no! I'm stuck here! Everyone treats me like I'm worthless! I tried to contain my anger, but I was appearing to fail at it. Cashmere knew that I was upset, but he didn't say anything about it. He had more important things at hoof, that I understand, but even still.

I'm tired of being treated like I'm worthless. That's all my parents have done to me growing up anyways. They would get angry at me for my appetite. Call me mean things...

I've spent my whole life since then trying to prove them wrong, but as of recently, the more I've started to believe them. Maybe I am no good, and maybe all I ever do it eat.

Maybe I am a glutton...

My thoughts were interrupted as Cashmere asked me to give him the sewing needle. I gingerly passed it over to him.

"We're going to start stitching her up. The bleeding has went down some, so it's now or never..." He muttered under his breathe. I was barely able to hear him. I wasn't very good at these types of things, like handling blood. It always made me a little bit queasy. I watched as he began to stitch her up, poking the needle through her coat right above where she was punctured, bringing the twine with it.

It certainly didn't take long, but it seemed excruciating for Covette. When he was all done, I passed him the gauze, and he wrapped it around her belly, reaching all the way around her back.

"There! All done!" Cashmere exclaimed, taking off his gloves and looking proudly at his work. Covette said nothing, although it was obvious that she was feeling a lot better.

"Good. Now go away." She said, she actually had some strength after all she had been through, and she used it to roll over so she was facing away from Cashmere. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Cashmere only sighed sorrowfully, as he got up and trotted away. I think he just needed a break from all this. I stared at Covette.

"Are you kidding me?" I said out loud accidentally. I was supposed to be thinking that, but my mouth had other ideas. Covette sneered at me.

"What are you talking about?" She said roughly, trying to get into a comfy position where she could lie down without the chance of opening her wound up again. I started to get a little fed up with her rudeness.

"He pretty much just saved your life, and that's how you treat him?" I shot at her. I'm not one for usually getting angry, but I've had a lot on my mind. Things that won't seem to go away unless I get them out somehow. My inner emotions, the little voices in my head telling me bad things, my conscience. It was driving me over the edge.

"I don't care." She lied her head down on the ground. That's it. I've had enough. I stomped over to her, not caring about how she felt anymore. I stood above her and brought my face down closer to hers to prove my point. For a moment, I saw her eyes widen in fear.

"You should! He just SAVED you! You should be grateful!" I boomed at her, but she refused to back down.

"When I was dying on the street he didn't give a damn! Why would he care now!? He's just a greedy bastard and he always will be!" She screamed, tears were forming in her eyes now. I didn't know if it was due to rage or sadness. It only took a split second to think about what I was going to say next.

"It doesn't matter! If he was such a greedy bastard, then wouldn't he care more about himself than you!?" I hollered at her, almost in her ear. "But nooooo!! He saved you! No one even said anything! He did it because he knew he should! If he was so greedy and he didn't like you, then he would have sat back and watched you suffer! That doesn't sound very greedy to me!"

Tears started to fall down Covette's face now, and her bottom lip was quivering. For the first time in forever, she was speechless. She looked left and right, before she began to fully sob. I stepped off of her, feeling a tinge guilty for making her cry, but it had to be done. I was not going to put up with her anymore if she was going to continue being like that. She rolled back over so she was facing away from me now, quietly sobbing to herself.

If I only knew what she was thinking right about now...

Author's Note:

Hmm...well then. It looks like Vanity and Ennui got what they both wanted: A friend. Covette's doing better(After Warble knocked some sense into her. WITH THE POWER OF WORDSES!) aaaaand Dynamite.

Is it me, or does Cashmere appear to be a little more caring towards Covette than he should? Nah....

Don't know why, but this is getting harder and harder to write. I apologize if there is any spelling mistakes beforehand. I will most likely edit later.

Now it's time for CYNERYK'S DUMBASS ADVICE OF THE DAY!

*Puts on broken monocle* Ahem

Naked Twister.

That is all. That is the best advice ever for a ice breaker activity. Especially in elementary school- I mean ya know, with the wife.

Have a good one, if you enjoyed fav and thumb up as I update every day(Or so). Also feedback and comments are VERY much appreciated!

-Cyneryk