• Published 7th Dec 2012
  • 4,163 Views, 555 Comments

Sin - MemoryLane



Lust. Greed. Gluttony. Wrath. Pride. Envy. Sloth. What do they mean?

  • ...
20
 555
 4,163

Ch. 19: Centurion

A little while later, after I was able to calm Aphrodite down, things seemed to really cheer up around the library. For the most part, everyone seemed to be getting along pretty well. I told Fluttershy, Rarity and Pinkie about Aphrodite's argument with Covette and asked them to help me make sure they stay away from each other. At least for a little bit. I really don't get what Covette's problem is. What she said to Aphrodite was completely inappropriate. Even though, yes, Aphrodite an be straightforward a lot, and she may be constantly horny. But still, completely unnecessary.

I tried to ask Fluttershy about Covette, and if she's always been like that. But she didn't really give me an answer. She just kind of mumbled something unintelligible under her breathe. I had to keep asking her until I finally gave up. I tried to also ask Rarity, but she said she didn't know anything at all. That that was how they found her.

In the back of my mind, I started to get a little nervous. To be honest, I expected Rainbow and Applejack to get back to the library first. They're definitely more determined, as it's in their nature, and they were faster physically. But even still. Maybe they got unlucky and got stuck trying to find Sloth.

That also reminded me. We only needed three more. I was suddenly ecstatic. Three more until the power of the Medallion was finally unlocked. We can prevent the Changelings from taking over with their army, and we can save Equestria!

It was starting to get late, and there was a horrid nagging in the back of my mind that told me that something was wrong. Maybe they got caught up somewhere. I'm pretty sure I saw them heading for the train station when this whole mess started. Maybe they tried to take the train back, and something happened?

It was night time now, when Spike ran out of the kitchen holding a scroll.

"Twilight! I have a message from the Princess!" He barked. Immediately, my head jolted up. I had almost fallen asleep you know.

I levitated the scroll out of Spike's claw and unravelled it, slowly reading it over.

My Faithful Student,

When you find six of the seven "sins", please come visit me in Canterlot. All of you. I have something that I need to tell you before you find the seventh.

Regards,

Princess Celestia

And that was it. My mind was racing with possible thoughts. What did she want to tell me? And why did she want to tell me when we're almost done with the mission? Why not now? Or when this is all over? I decided not to worry about it, and that I'll learn when Applejack and Rainbow Dash get back with their two "sins".

I kindly asked Spike to write a letter back to the Princess telling her that I had gotten her message and that I would be happy to oblige. He gave me a firm salute before running back into the kitchen. Spike had stopped talking to Aphrodite for some reason. I think he must have over heard her argument with Covette, and decided to lay off. Which is the best thing a pony could do right about now.

I stayed up very late waiting for Applejack and Rainbow Dash. But they didn't come. Everyone else had managed to fall asleep wherever they felt like it. Warble was trying very hard to stay awake with me, resorting to stuffing himself with Pinkie's pastries to make him stay awake. I must tell you, I'm surprised that he didn't get a sugar rush, because he ate a TON of cake, and cupcakes. But he eventually fell asleep when it was obvious that he was incapable of staying awake.

Covette...ugh. She thought it'd be nice to take over MY bed. Not even caring to ask. But I don't really care. I just wish she just would've asked. It's not like I planned on going to sleep or anything tonight anyways. Not with my mind being so scrambled as of recently.

Cashmere, Rarity, Pinkie and Aphrodite(After a massive gab session) all fell asleep in random places around the library. Wow, I never knew how much gossip all four of them knew. I tried to listen in on what they were talking about. First, it was some popular movie, and then 30 seconds later they were talking about some sort of celebrity scandal. I'm not sure, but it was very difficult to follow.

Lastly, that leaves Fluttershy. To be honest, I have no idea where she went. I searched the whole house looking for her, but she seemed to have left. I think she just went to check on her animals. I'm sure she'll be back soon.

It was about three in the morning when there was a knock on the door. I had just fallen asleep, and I was very groggy. But nevertheless, I forced myself to wake up. Forgetting what I was doing before I had even fallen asleep, I slowly walked over to the door and opened it. Only to see Applejack,(With a brown mare on her back...who appeared to be sleeping) Rainbow Dash, and a fiery looking stallion.

"Miss us?" Applejack asked as I gave her a large hug. She chuckled. Before breaking the hug and walking inside. My excited giggles accidentally woke everyone in the library up. Even Covette who was all the way upstairs.

"What's happening?" She asked, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. I pointed to Rainbow Dash and Applejack.

"These are my two other friends. Applejack and Rainbow Dash." Everyone sleepily said their own hellos.

"Nice to meet you all!" Rainbow said, rather formally. Something I never really would have expected her to say quite like that. She looked around the room, and noticed that there were about four unknown ponies in the room with us. "Uhh."

The next twenty minutes was spent introducing each other. I learned that AJ and Dash had found Sloth(It turns out her name of Ennui, or something like that) and Wrath(I think his name is Kindling). Which was great to know.

"Ennui" wasn't very social, or dying to meet the other attributes at all. She almost immediately feel asleep on the middle of the floor, not even caring about the fact that half to the ponies in the room gave her a crazy look. Now I know why they took longer than I would've thought to get here.

I talked to Kindling for a while, and to my surprise he's a pretty nice guy. If you don't make him mad. He has his own special pills that he's supposed to take in case he gets angry, on a count that he's older and has a pretty bad heart. I made a mental note not to make him upset.

Applejack also told me that he almost killed the mare who came along with them. Which made me slightly nervous. But then she told me that he got angry for a good reason, and that they actually broke into his cabin looking for shelter. So it calmed me down quite a bit.

About an hour later, and getting the attention of most of the ponies in the library, I finally spoke up. I announced that we all immediately needed to go to Canterlot. Many ponies groaned, along with some of my own friends( I would have thought Rarity would be excited about that...). I explained the letter to everyone that I had gotten from Celestia just a few hours ago.

Ennui foalishly raised a hoof in the air, as if she was in school. "Can't this wait until later? I barely slept."

"Ennui. Ya slept the whole way 'ere." Applejack replied, rolling her eyes.

"Not really. You try sleeping while flying through the air. I only slept for about 5 minutes. Total!"

"It's a lot easier than it looks." Rainbow Dash smiled.

"We need to go now." I ended their little conversation. There was no way I was going to be able to teleport all twelve ponies to Canterlot. So we are forced to take the train. Good news, it wouldn't take that long to get there. Bad news, it's going to cost a lot of money. Especially since most of my friends, along with a few of the newer ponies, didn't bring any or had all run out.

Everyone gathered their things quickly, as the next train left in about thirty minutes. Rainbow Dash told me about their little accident on the way to Vanhoover, and that the train may still be "broken". I put that thought in the back of my mind. I really hoped that we wouldn't have to resort to walking, or worse, having to wait until the train is fixed.

At around 4:30 AM. We made our departure.

***

Much to my relief, the train was indeed still running, and we all boarded. Well most of us. We were able to stall the train conductor long enough so Rainbow Dash could snatch Fluttershy, who was indeed in her cabin tending to her animals.

With all my cash blown, and all twelve of us on board, the train had departed at around 5 o'clock AM.

I accidentally fell asleep on the train, and I'm pretty sure everyone else did too. Everyone was very exhausted after their own journeys. I couldn't help but overhear Rarity questioning Applejack about something involving attempting to trap them in a cave. To which Applejack continued to deny was her. I wanted to keep on listening, but sleep overtook me yet again.

It was 5:45 when we reached Canterlot, and everyone was very hesitant to get off the train. Including me. But we had no choice. The sun was starting to rise, which signaled that Celestia was up and tending to her duties, as usual. Which was good for me to know, considering I didn't really want to bother her if she was sleeping or something like that.

Most of the newer ponies didn't know exactly where, or how, to get into the castle. A few of them were stopped and searched on the way into the castle. Most of them were let in immediately afterwards.

But, no. Covette had to be difficult again.

Here are some of the things that were found in her saddlebag that the Royal Guards had taken away from her before she entered the castle: A rope, a switchblade, handcuffs(I'm pretty sure she wasn't a police officer...), a lock picking set, and some tools. I could only shake my head, and Covette seemed very angry.

"Did you just see that?! They completely stole all my things!" She complained illogically. Never once did it occur to her why they were taken from her in the first place.

It was very obvious that Cashmere was a little nervous about the fact that she had a lock picking set. Rarity had told me about what she had tried to do to him and his treasures.

All twelve of us gingerly trotted through the hallway. The morning dawn was shining brightly through the painted windows, making the room much more colorful than it actually was. I immediately saw Princess Celestia standing in front of her throne, with Odysseus at her side once again. All twelve of us made our way to her. But something seemed off about her. Usually, she had a kind and gentle smile on her face. But not this time. Her face was full of sadness, and determination.

We all stepped in front of her.

"Princess! You said there was something you needed to tell me?" I asked her. Looking back on it now, I said it rather rudely. Although I didn't mean for it to come off that way.

"Yeah! I was in the middle of my beauty sleep!" Aphrodite frowned. Everyone seemed to hear, except Princess Celestia, much to my happiness. I have no idea how Pinkie and I were able to put up with her for so long.

"Yes. There is..." She sighed slowly. She looked to the ground, as if she was deep in thought. I took another look at her. There were bags under her eyes, and she looked very exhausted. Much more so than usual. It was very obvious when she spoke, as it was slow, and every word seemed to linger on her tongue, almost reminding me of Ennui.

"What is it, Princess?" I replied anxiously. All eleven other ponies kept their mouth shut, knowing not to talk if the Princess isn't talking directly to you.

"I have something to tell you, and most of you won't like it. Especially those whom you traveled far and wide to find." She sighed. All six "sins" suddenly snapped to attention.

All six of them slowly stepped forward, at that moment, Celestia gave a quick nod to Odysseus. He nodded back to her and stood up, shouting past us to the doors of the castle. He brought a hoof to him mouth. "Bring her in!"

Mere seconds later, two guards emerged from outside, slamming the doors as they entered. They seem unfazed as they forcefully dragged a light blue mare inside of the castle. I stared in awe at the spectacle that was unfolding in front of me. The mare thrashed and wiggled, attempting to get out of the guards grasp.

"Let go of me!" She shouted, a little too loud. "You're messing up my mane! I'll kill you for this!"

No...it can't be.

The royal guards dumped her next to the six sins, who were standing in a line. Covette sneered at the mare immediately as she stood up after being thoroughly "harassed".

"Ugh!" She groaned as she quickly took out a mirror and fixed her rosy mane, which was near perfect, in my opinion. She let out frustrated sighs until she finally got it to her liking.

"This, is Pride." Celestia said. I looked over to Odysseus, who was holding one of the Medallions in his hooves now.

"'Ey! That's ours!" Applejack spoke up, causing Odysseus to shrug.

"I borrowed it to find her. Problem?" He raised an eyebrow, making Applejack shut up. "I already explained everything to her, your highness." He spoke to Celestia now. "But she was being...difficult."

"By the way!" She said snootily. "My name is Vanity! Get it right!" She yelled at the Royal Guard. Odysseus rolled her eyes. If she kept talking like that she was going to get in huge trouble. Vanity put the mirror away and Celestia spoke up again.

I saw very many ponies get visibly agitated by Vanity's remarks already, including Celestia. But to my surprise, she said nothing about her.

"Anyways. Know what I'm about to say is true." She said. I saw a few of the sins lean closer to her in anticipation. "All seven of you, are a part of me."

The room was dead silent. A few moments of silence went by before Kindling interrupted it.

"Y-You're kidding right? What's that supposed to mean?!" He growled, his anger rising. He failed to take any pills, however.

Celestia nodded. "This is no joke. Let me tell you a story..." She sighed.

I could not believe what she was saying. She says that she is the one that created the Seven Deadly Sins, because she had to. Long ago, she was told that she was very unfit to be a princess, and that she had many faults that were not very ruler-like. She would get blindingly angry when she didn't get her way as a foal, and she had a ravenous appetite, and so forth. She was distraught when one day she was told that she could not be a princess, and that Luna would have to take both roles as both the sun and the moon bringer.

She decided that the only way to become Princess was to get rid of her faults.

She went to see a very famous magician, what that I had read about very well. Starswirl the Bearded. He told her that it is very much possible to get rid of the faults that she does not wish to have. But not completely. He could not destroy them completely. The only way was to have those ways of thinking leave her body was if physical representations were made of the faults. Celestia didn't understand it either, but at that time she was just a filly, and she really didn't care, like most young ones.

Needless to say, Starswirl the Bearded did as he was told, and at that moment, seven ponies were born all across Equestria, each taking one of Celestia's faults of when she was just a filly.

And from then on, the faults were passed from generation to generation, and now they were passed on to the ponies standing in this here castle. Celestia looked very apologetic as she told us the story. It was obvious that she didn't know what she was getting into as a filly.

"So now, you know. I know this may be a shock, but it's the truth." She finished. All of the ponies in the room(Except her and Odysseus) stood there slack-jawed, not able to even find the words.

It all hit me so hard, I didn't even know what to say. But that's when I realized something. We have all seven ponies. Why wasn't the Medallion reacting?

"Um, Princess..." I tried to inquire, but she beat me to it.

"I know. The Medallion is not what holds immense power." She said.

"But in the book, I read-"

"What the book told you was a falsification." She interrupted, getting slightly irritated. "The Medallion was simply a tracking device to find them in case I needed them for such a time. The power is held within all seven of you. All you need is to activate it.

I saw Kindling's eye twitch out of anger, and he actually CHARGED the Princess. Luckily, Pinkie and Applejack were behind him, and they held him back.

"THIS ISN'T TRUE! WHY!? WHY WOULD YOU PUT MY FAMILY AND I THROUGH THIS!" He screamed. The Princess decided she had had enough and bellowed back to him in the Royal Canterlot Voice.

"BACK DOWN OR I WILL HOLD YOU IN CUSTODY, KINDLING!" And with that, Kindling popped a few of his pills, and sat on the ground, defeated.

Suddenly, a loud horn went off, echoing through the Castle walls, and making a very loud ringing appear in all of our ears.

"What!?" The Princess asked Odysseus. "They're here!? Already?" The Princess suddenly sighed and quickly trotted down one of the side halls that lead to a winding staircase. "Follow me. I need you. All of you." Odysseus waited until we were all traveling up the staircase before he decided to join us.

Author's Note:

Well, this sure explained a lot. Turns out Sins were Celestia's doing a few centuries ago. Whoa. I think this is a little redundant, but it looks like Pride has been found, and she reminds me of a teenage girl. Anyways, the Changelings are attacking. Wait, early? This doesn't seem right...

Tune in next time! The story is drawing to a close! Be prepared! Because the next chapter(Much like this one) will blow your mind!

Now it's time for CYNERYK'S DUMBASS ADVICE OF THE DAY!

Ahem *Puts on monocle*

....Agh...fuck it. *Throws his monocle away*

I'll do it later.

Have a good one bros! And if you liked, fav and thumb up if you'd please! Comments are greatly appreciated! And so is feedback!

-Cyneryk