• Published 7th Dec 2012
  • 3,530 Views, 351 Comments

Unchangeling - Kira



When a young changeling learns that he hasn't developed the power to change, the hive shuns him.

  • ...
14
 351
 3,530

Live and Learn

Chapter 4

Live and Learn


The meal was beginning to get very was awkward for the both of them. As Derpy and Crunch talked over the muffins, it got more and more tense. Crunch was nervous and started to ramble on about Applejack and her family, and Derpy just sat there listening, not sure what to say. Neither was a real conversationalist.

Come on, Derpy. Don't just sit there! Derpy thought. He's losing interest in you!

"So, uh, about Pinkie's party..." Derpy said, finally getting the nerve to say something. "Are you going to be going?"

"I don't know when or where it it is." Crunch said. "She never told us."

"EIGHT TONIGHT! IT'S GONNA BE IN HERE!" they heard a voice yell from inside the bakery. Derpy laughed at the puzzled expression on Crunch's face.

"How did she hear us from there?" Crunch asked.

"Secret tunnels, silly!" Said Pinkie, her head poking through the door, a huge, silly smile on her face.

"Secret... wait, what?" Crunch said, scrunching his eyebrows together. Derpy watched him intently as he learned the quirks and oddities of Pinkie Pie for the first time. His expressions were normal. It didn't seem normal, though. It seemed... odd, like he was doing something he shouldn't. Derpy had only ever seen a changeling look angry, and even then it was only in books.

It's kind of cool, like my coltfriend- she stopped herself. Not a coltfriend. Why would I think that? It's like my friend is a bad boy or something.

Crunch continued to talk to Pinkie about her secret tunnels, oblivious to everything else in his confusion, while Derpy was at war with herself.

What the hay, Derpy? You just met the guy! Why are you thinking of him as your coltfriend? She thought. It's not like...

"Oh, sweet Celestia..." She said aloud, then quickly covered her mouth, blushing. Crunch and Pinkie stopped talking and turned towards her.

"What is it? What happened?" Crunch asked, worried. "Is something wrong?"

"I... I need to go!" She said hurriedly, grabbing her muffin bag and flying off.

"Well that was... strange." Crunch said. "What was that all about?"

"You really can't tell?" Pinkie said, cocking an eyebrow at him.

"Can't tell what?!" Crunch asked, getting frustrated. "What don't I see?!"

Pinkie sighed and turned away. "You have to figure this one out on your own." she said. She walked back into the Sugarcube Corner shaking her head.

What is going on?! Crunch thought. As soon as I make friends, they leave me and confuse me!

He began to think that he was truly repulsive enough to scare away ponies after just having them be with him, but immediately shoved the thought away. He had to find Derpy and figure out what was going on.


Derpy flew quickly and recklessly, tears trying to come but being stopped by sheer willpower.

"No. You are NOT in love with him. You are NOT in love with a changeling." she told herself as she flew. "You just met him. How could you possibly love him?"

"Uh, Derpy? Who are you talking to?" a voice said from next to her. Derpy looked next to her and saw Rainbow Dash flying alongside her.

"Please... I just need some alone time." Derpy whispered, her words lost to the wind as they both flew inconceivably fast. Rainbow Dash yelled something back, but the pair was accelerating quickly. Neither of them could hear each other. Suddenly, Derpy stopped, leaving Rainbow Dash to keep flying. She had stopped in front of the house of the only pony in Ponyville who wasn't afraid of her: Fluttershy.

She landed on her hooves, a rare occurrence for her, and knocked on Fluttershy's door. It was opened by Angel, who looked irked that Derpy had the nerve to be here. He had good reason think that- the last time Derpy came here, she had taken out an entire wall of the house, as well as setting fire to the well. She still couldn't figure out how she did that.

"Is Fluttershy here?" she asked. Angel nodded, but still just stood there, watching her.

"Can I talk to her?" Angel rolled his eyes and hopped into the house. Derpy waited for a few seconds until he returned with the yellow mare.

"What is it, Derpy?" Fluttershy asked. "Is something wrong?"

Controlling her tone and her tear, Derpy said simply "I need to talk to you inside."

Fluttershy nodded and led her into the cottage, motioning towards a chair. Derpy took a seat and finally let the tears come.

"I don't know what to do!" she said. "I finally met a great guy and I really like him but I can't like him because he's a changeling and if I tel him he'll probably hate me anyways and if he likes me everyone else will hate me because he's a changeling and-"

"Stop right there." Fluttershy said, putting a hoof on Derpy's mouth. "So, you have a crush- not anything else, a crush- on a changeling?"

Derpy nodded, the hoof still on her mouth. "Would this changeling be Crunch, the one Twilight told me about?"

"Yeah. Why?" Derpy said, freeing her mouth.

"Twilight wants to talk to him about something." Fluttershy explained.

"I'll... I'll try and find him." Derpy said. "But what should I do about my problem?"

"You'll have to ask Rarity about that. She the relationship expert."

"Okay. Well, I'm off to find Crunch." Derpy said, already at the door. "Goodbye!"

"Goodbye, Derpy." Fluttershy said. Derpy slammed the door, shaking the wall and knocking a flowerpot off of a shelf. Fluttershy sighed and went to clean it up.

Why am I always so shy around everypony else but her? It's... weird. Fluttershy thought to herself.


Crunch had been sitting on the same bench he met Derpy at for less than half and hour when Derpy came crashing into him.

"Careful Derpy!" Crunch told her. "You do't want to hurt yourself, do you?"

"Sorry. But that's not important. Twilight wants to see you." she said hurriedly.

"Okay, but why?" He asked.

"Never mind that, let's go!" She said, grabbing him by his hoof and running towards the library. He followed behind, still hoof-in-hoof with her. He was too confused to actually form a complete thought, so he just ran. They enter the library to be greeted by Twilight holding up a huge book with her magic. I was a book dedicated just to changelings.

"Okay, we need to talk. Now." she said. "You know how you said that you could just eat food instead of emotions?"

"Yeah? What about it?" he said, raising an eyebrow.

"You were wrong. You have to eat emotions at least every three days or you'll die." she explained worriedly. "Crunch... when's the last time you ate somepony's emotions?"

Crunch paled. The last time he had eaten emotions was three days ago at the hive. He had eaten squirrel joy. That's something he noticed- animal n the hive weren't afraid of changelings, but all of the ones outside were. It had been filling, but it was three days ago.

"Um... three days ago." he answered.

"Oh Celestia... you need somepony's emotions. It says that love is the strongest and that you need less of it. Does anypony here have any love for anything?" Twilight asked the room. The ponies around her, Applejack, Spike, Rarity, and Fluttershy (who had finished cleaning the flowerpot mess) all shook their heads.

Derpy knew what she had to do. "I do." She said. "I love something."

"Great! What is it?" Twilight asked. "We need it NOW."

This is it...Derpy. thought to herself

"It's... Muffins." she said.

Author's Note:

Wow, what an ending! Anyways, I reached the 200 favorites mark. That. Is. Epic.
And I have over 125 likes. More. Epic. Than. That.

And I got back on the Featured board almost immediately after posting this. WHAT THE HELL, GUYS?

So, yeah, a bit short, but better writing style (I hope). Next chapter will be delayed due to some family complications. Like, maybe up to a month delayed. Or not. Whatever, you know?

-The pony who plans for a new world, Kira