• Published 1st Dec 2012
  • 855 Views, 10 Comments

Overdue - WhatTheMoo



It was all going so well. How could she have been so forgetful?

  • ...
1
 10
 855

Nice Try

The next morning was met with a glorious warming sunshine. Birds of multiple hues were happily chirping together, while the citizens of Ponyville began their day, optimistic and carefree. Inside the library, however, lay Twilight Sparkle, covered in a blanket of worn dusty books as a ray of sunlight finally met her eyelids. Her eyelids thrust open like a steel trap. She groggily leaned forward as she narrowed her eyes at the gateway of searing light that was her window. She swiftly retaliated at the blinding menace, sending multiple works on Equestrian bears through her glass-paned window. The shattering of glass finally awoke her to full consciousness.

Aw crud… Twilight iterated in her head as she gazed upon her destroyed window.

The books! Her mental voice screamed between her ears. Twilight searched the ground frantically for the letter, only to have Spike hand it to her face, a concerned look upon his face.

“So uh… Twilight? How are you gonna pay this?”

Twilight once again sat down on her floor with a thump, her mind scanning the very ends of her brain for a solution.

I could ask Princess Celestia for help, but I can’t look irresponsible and negligent, let alone downright poor, in front of the Princess!

Being the town librarian had left her without any source of income, revenue, or profit. She never had a need for money in Ponyville, as ponies practically gave her things. Being a hero of Equestria had its perks, but monetary compensation was apparently not one of them. She glanced around the room, pleading for an answer. Piles of decrepit books and works of knowledge littered across the room laughed and jittered at her pitiful mental attempts. She laid her head low, her cheeks beginning to swell, and her eyes reddened as a tear made its way down the side of her face.

“Aw, come on, Twilight! Look, let’s just move all these books and we’ll figure it out. I know you can! You’re the smartest pony in Equestria!” Spike encouraged.

That’s it!

“You’re a genius, Spike! I’ll sell all these books!"

Twilight pulled out a quill and parchment paper, furiously performing mathematical operations.

"From last night’s records, we have over two thousand books in stock. If I can sell every single book for about... hmm, 50 bits, I’ll have enough to pay the debt and buy the library some new books!” Twilight sang cheerfully, wiping the moisture from her eyes.

“Quick, Spike, take the table and some books outside!”

The morning sun hovered high above Ponyville, gracing its inhabitants with its loving embrace. The streets of Ponyville bustled with activity. As it slowly made its decline toward the horizon, the skies changed from a relaxing light blue to a soothing warm orange and red, leaving the streets and roads empty, save a few ponies.

“Ugggghhhh…” Twilight moaned in frustration. “Not a single book Spike! No one is this entire town reads a single book! It’ll be fine if I send literacy rates back a thousand years, there wouldn’t be much of a difference!”

Twilight twiddled her hooves sitting at her wooden study desk, now placed outside her familiar oak door. A large white banner hung from a branch above her, reading…

High Quality Books for Sale! Only 50 Bits! 40 Bits! 30 Bits! 20 Bits! 10 Bits…

“Look Twilight, maybe you don’t even have to pay it. All they did was stop letting you checkout books, right?” Spike questioned.

Twilight turned her head back 180 degrees, staring Spike right in the eyes.

“Don’t you understand? Don’t you see? If I can’t check out any books, I can’t learn anything! If I don’t learn anything, I’ll be practically useless to the Princess and she’ll banish me in a second! Not to mention the fact that I’ll go crazy!”

Twilight’s chest rose and fell at an alarming rate, smoke trickling from her nostrils and ears. With one ear down, one ear up, and a crooked grin, she turned her head back and slammed her face into the wooden table.

“Uh… yeah… right, you’ll go crazy. Heh-heh, I think I’ll go over to Rarity’s to see if she needs help with anything. Bye!” And with that, Spike rocketed down the brown dirt road; he was a fast little guy.

I guess I’ll just have to beg in front of the Princess…

“Hey Twilight!” Twilight reared her head in the direction of the beckon, fixating her eyes upon a blur zooming past her, sending wind and other various objects in Twilight’s face. With her eyes still rolling inside of her head…

“Sheesh, Rainbow... Do you have to fly so fast? What’s the hurry?”

“Heh-heh, sorry Twilight, I was just looking for some stuff and I saw you out here, so I came down to check out what’s going on. For an egghead, you look like you really want to get rid of those books…” Rainbow Dash said whilst getting off the ground. She looked up and squinted at the banner.

High Quality Books? Bwaahahahaha, Twilight! Those things are older and more boring than Granny Smith!” Rainbow quickly did a double-take as if searching for any adjacent blond-maned orange ponies that could have been lurking nearby.

“You’re pretty strapped for bits, eh, Twilight? I have a couple if you really need them.”

Twilight cocked her eyebrow and stared quizzically at her confident friend.

“Sorry, Rainbow, but I don’t think anypony, even the amazing and awesome Rainbow Dash, can pay for this…” Twilight held her head low as she levitated the library’s letter to Dash’s face.

“Whoa, Twilight… how in Equestria did you manage that?” Rainbow’s face appeared from behind the letter, staring towards Twilight with concern.

Twilight began for the door of the great tree that was her home, the troubled unicorn passing by her loyal friend.

“I’d rather not talk about it… All I know is I’ll probably never read again,” Twilight grimly said with her head hung low.

“C’mon, Twilight! Don’t get all mopey on me. Uh, let’s hang! Being with me will definitely get your mind off it.”
Twilight stopped before the front door, gazing out past the glowing red-orange horizon.

“Maybe you’re right. A relaxing day could help ease my mind off things, and then I’ll figure this thing out. So... what do you want to do?” Twilight remarked, leaning towards Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow let out one of her familiar yawns, spreading her wings and hovering into the air.

“Oh, I didn’t mean right now, Twilight. It’s getting pretty late and all... I think we’re both pretty tired, so why don’t we just meet up tomorrow?” Rainbow hovered higher and higher, fading out of earshot before Twilight could even answer.

“Uh, alright then.” Twilight squinted at the sky, searching for any sign of the pegasus’ indicative mane color.

As Twilight stared at the sky, she prayed to Celestia that she could find an answer, and that the answer wasn't Celestia.

Comments ( 5 )

“Sorry, Rainbow, but I don’t think anyone,

anypony* He-he gotcha...

...That was the only mistake I could find. You should really consider sending this to Equestira Daily. It seems to me that it's near flawless with Grammar and such. I'm pretty sure it would pass with ease. :pinkiehappy:

1750084 Ah, you sly one... Thanks, I do hope that all my time spent editing reflects off what I write. To be honest, I only wrote this as practice, and in my opinion, I think the plot is quite elementary. I merely focused on grammar, characterizations, and other small tid-bits. Maybe once I expand on the plot in a chapter or two, I might consider submitting this to EQD. Then, perhaps, this story would flourish further.

1752280 I've seen what EQD posts, and trust me plot has no matter in it what-so-ever. You should see some of the terrible stories, (that are well written) they have up on their site. From what I can tell all that really matters to them is good grammar.

My ratings for this story:

Grammar: 9.9 If there is any flaws I can't find them.

Plot: 4.5 As you said needs work.

Characterization: 7 Spike seems a bit odd.

Comedy: 7.5 There is lolz to be had.

Conclusion: When is the next chapter?

1752960 Funny thing, actually. When I first wrote chapter 2, I took a more comical route so that I could finish it by the end of the chapter. If only you knew, lol. Yeah, I guess one of my weak points is characterizing Spike. He's pretty forgettable to me in the show. May I ask what struck you as odd?

1753142 Well, in chapter 2 Twilight awakens from unconsciousness and the first thing Spike says to her is,

So uh… Twilight? How are you gonna pay this?

Seems a bit odd to say that to someone who was just moments ago knocked out, right?

Also, when Twilight went a tad bit crazy Spike immediately left her, I just don't think he would leave her like that. Way to help out and be a man Spike! :moustache:

There's also a little here and a little there that seems a very tiny bit off. Nothing to bad though.

P.S Keep the comedy up! It's a big reason to read this story! :pinkiehappy: Like I haven't ever said before now, 'if you don't have a plot use comedy'. It's good dating advice, too!

Login or register to comment