• Published 19th Nov 2012
  • 7,034 Views, 791 Comments

The Missionary - Radon18



Follow a man, surviving in equestria with nothing but his wits and his faith, oh and his own town.

  • ...
62
 791
 7,034

Chapter12: Cats Prefer Hands

Chapter 12

(Just a reminder: I OWN NOTHING!!!)

‘Thought’
“Dialogue”
“Words in a foreign language.”



“Twilight, are you alright?” Celestia’s voice rang sweetly in Twilight’s ear. Celestia’s tone reminded Twilight very much of the way her own mother sounded when she was concerned. Twilight lifted her head and turned it this way and that lethargically. To her surprise, she found herself in the Solar Princess’s luxurious bed chamber.

“What happened?” Twilight mumbled weakly.

“The creature from the Everfree City, Chris, insulted you… and then you attacked him.” The princess was sitting on a red cushion a few feet away from Twilight; both of them were occupying a small sitting area in front of a window open to the breezy Canterlot evening. Celestia had a look of motherly affection on her face that matched the tone of her voice perfectly.

Twilight mumbled a little under her breath before forcing her stiff body into a sitting position. “Why do I feel so…” Twilight trailed off, still a little disoriented.

“I am sorry, that was my doing.” Celestia began, “When you attacked Chris I had to take over the isolation spell and then cast a teleportation spell over that. The landing was less than gentle I am afraid…” Celestia trailed off and her ears swiveled backwards in embarrassment. “The royal healers swiftly healed the minor wounds you suffered,” she added quickly, “but you may be stiff for some time.” Celestia looked out the open window and beyond the glittering city of Canterlot, towards the miniscule glow in the valley beyond that was Ponyville. She examined the small village against the purple evening sky in silence.

“Twilight, will you tell me what happened?”

When Celestia looked back to her student she was surprised to see a look of horror and embarrassment on Twilight’s face, although she was truthfully relieved that Twilight at least had the presence of mind to be ashamed of her previous actions.Twilight buried her face in her hooves, her mane slowly deteriorating into a purple bird’s nest as she tried to avert a violent mental breakdown. When she finally raised her head, her eyes were bloodshot and tears were beginning to well up in the corners of her eyes. “I-I'm sorry.” She choked out. “I- it’s just that stupid MYTH!” The volume of Twilight’s voice rose sharply as she spoke so that she had very nearly shouted the final word. Celestia was taken aback by her student’s emotional response; the princess had never seen her student react so violently to a mere insult.

Twilight sank down into her pillow, suddenly looking very tired. “It was right after I was accepted as your personal student. When I would go to the advanced classes at the academy…” Twilight took a shuddering, angry breath; her brows knitted together in a way that suggested she was thinking about something unpleasant. “There was a group of older fillies that would spread rumors about me. That I was a witch, that my skills in magic weren’t natural, that I had to have sacrificed foals to Tartarus to make it into the academy at such a young age.” Her ears folded backwards defensively.

“Twi-“ Celestia started to comfort her student.

“I know it’s stupid; there is no way I would ever do anything like that. It was all just some stupid bullies… but they always made it sound so believable. A lot of ponies didn’t know the difference!” She shakily pushed herself back to her hooves, only to glare at the carpet. “I didn’t ever want anything to do with any of them again, so I stopped trying and just went to the library; the books never said anything…” A tear rolled down Twilight’s cheek and she hiccupped once, softly.

Celestia nodded her head in understanding, knowing perfectly well what had happened after that.

“The worst part is that now I feel like I owe them something.” Twilight hung her head and hiccupped once more. “I mean, if it wasn’t for them, I would never have met my friends. I wou-” Twilight cut off as the massive alabaster wing of Celestia wrapped around her, forming a giant, feathery blanket. The embrace of her teacher immediately drove all the unpleasantness from Twilight’s mind, and although she still hiccupped once or twice and her cheeks were still damp, she felt safe at her mentor’s side. So strong was her sense of relief that Twilight very nearly fell asleep at Celestia’s side, and she might have had Celestia not spoken once more.

“Jealousy can lead to ponies to do some very foalish things, Twilight. You don’t owe them a single thought.” Celestia whispered.

“But-“Twilight started.

“Who is to say that I wouldn’t have sent you to Ponyville even if you hadn’t imposed isolation upon yourself? You were always the perfect one to help me bring my sister back, and it was always your destiny to become an Element. I doubt a lack of foreknowledge would have stopped you, or made any difference at all.” Celestia rested a hoof on her student’s shoulder giving her a comforting pat.

Twilight looked at her mentor with teary eyes and nodded. It seemed like a bit of weight was gone from her shoulders, but the whole ordeal had left her exhausted. Hopefully she could help deal with the alien- Chris, now, no matter what petty insults he threw at her.

“You still have to apologize to Chris…” Celestia said, smiling softly as Twilight’s only response was to sleepily bob her head before she nodded off, still secure in Celestia’s voluminous wing.

Celestia’s smile faded a little as the memory of the alien’s words surfaced in her mind.

“ … As do I.”

***

The next morning, Twilight and Celestia reappeared with a soft pop in the warm wooden confines of Twilight’s bedroom in the Ponyville library.

“Where is everypony?” Twilight looked around at the empty bedroom where they had left the alien the previous day. She quickly ran down the steps into the main room, through the kitchen, and even down to the basement, but still found no sign of her friends or their otherworldly guest. Celestia followed her increasingly agitated student at a much sedated pace, carrying a small piece of parchment in her golden aura.

“I believe we will find your friends at the Carousel Boutique.” Celestia stated, levitating the parchment over to her now almost panicking student.

“What’s this?” Twilight practically snatched the paper from the princess’ aura and quickly read over it:

Dear Twilight
Chris didn’t want to sleep in the library, and I’m afraid he was quite insistent. We have set up new sleeping arrangements in my boutique.
P.S. Please hurry over when you get this.
-Rarity

Twilight floated the scrap of parchment over to the table that occupied the center of the room. “We should hurry.” Twilight said, sounding close to panic, as she snapped up her saddlebags and headed for the door, leaving the princess to catch up as she tried and failed to suppress a small smile at her student’s behavior.

The trip through Ponyville wasn’t too bad, as long as one didn’t mind the dozens of ponies who repeatedly stopped the pair with a bow and a cheery “Good morning!” to the Princess and her student. When they finally were within sight of the posh looking shop Celestia paused for a moment to cast the isolation spell over herself. The feel of her countless magical connections to the land being severed caused Celestia to grimace; she hated the feeling of being disconnected from the world, but it was a necessity until they knew where exactly Chris was.

As they approached the front door a fully armored Soarin snapped to attention.

“Report.” Celestia said curtly.

“The creature was insistent that it would not sleep at the Ponyville Library, so it was brought here. There have been no further disturbances.” He stated as he stared straight ahead.

Celestia nodded. “Carry on.” It would do well, she thought as she dismissed the guard pony, to start disseminating information about Chris through the local populace. Celestia doubted that having everypony calling him ‘creature,’ or ‘alien’ would inspire a positive first impression.

Twilight knocked on the door and moved to enter the boutique, only to forced backwards as the door popped open and admitted the face of an obviously sleep-deprived Fluttershy. “Shh.” she hissed quietly, throwing a furtive look over her shoulder before turning back to address the pair, a blush of embarrassment appeared on her face when she realized she had just shushed a princess of Equestria.

“I'm so sorry.” Fluttershy whispered as she led them into the building. “But he hasn’t slept well and we didn’t want to wake him.” She led them over to Rarity’s fainting couch in the back of the shop. Twilight tried valiantly to suppress a giggle at the sight of Chris laying curled up into a ball on the soft couch while an unkempt Rarity looked on with an undignified huff. Rarity’s expression confused Twilight until she spotted the white ball of fur perched on Chris’s side. Opal the cat was practically infamous in Ponyville for being almost as temperamental as Angel Bunny (not that anyone would ever tell poor Fluttershy her favorite pet was a proper terror), and here she was treating Chris like a giant pillow. Twilight gave Celestia a half-inquisitive, half-disparaging look. For her part, Celestia was failing to hide a smirk behind her hoof. Deciding that her friend deserved at least a little sympathy, Twilight moved forward and offered Rarity a sympathetic pat on the back.

“I think its about time we woke him up.” Celestia said after schooling her face back into its usual graceful mask. Fluttershy nodded and gently prodded the sleeping form of Chris in the arm.

“Chris, it’s time to wake up.” Fluttershy cooed softly.

He slowly cracked an eye open, looking around the brightening room. When his eye moved over Twilight and the princess his face fell into a slight frown. Slowly, he moved to sit up, stretching muscles stiff with the usual effects of sleep. Opal woke and jumped from his side as he sat up, but promptly settled back onto his crossed legs.

Twilight was fascinated by the flexibility Chris showed off by simply sitting up. She envied the dexterity of his wrists and apparent nimbleness of his fingers as he shifted several loose cushions on the couch. The degree of rotation in his lower spine was unprecedented. She was especially intrigued at the way his lower arm seemed to rotate at the elbow; how exactly did he do that?

Chris Glowered at the small group of ponies before finally opening his mouth. “What do you want?”

***

She peeked through the leaves of a large bush at the edge of the forest. An apple orchard stretched out before her, but that wasn't what she was here for. Oh no, not at all. Her eyeless gaze fell upon a small wooden pen behind a large red barn. There, frolicking in the mud, was the her goal. Their...parts... were the most similar to the first things she would need to finish her masterpiece. If the fleshless face wasn't already smiling she may have cracked a grin.

Another memory surfaced and her good mood fell away. ‘Shut up...” she growled at the noise in her mind. The memories had quickly lost the novelty they once possessed. Now they were only there to distract her, make her make mistakes.

Why wouldn't her own mind be silent?

It didn't matter, her goal was infront of her, another building block within her grasp.

***

Scootaloo soared through the sky, reveling in the feeling of the air flowing over her feathers and the brilliant sight of the endless sky laid out in front of her. Her grin turned a little more aggressive and she coiled herself like a powerful spring before releasing, doubling her speed. Finally, Scootaloo thought, she was shooting through the sky just like her idol Rainbow Dash. She flapped her small wings as hard as she could, and slowly a white cone began to form in front of her. It formed a wall against her acceleration, willing the orange filly to slow down. Scootaloo simply smashed through the barrier with a resounding clap of thunder that echoed off of the forest far below her. She looked back, and was disappointed to not find the tell tale ripple of light that a sonic rainboom produced.

Maybe she just needed to go faster?

Scootaloo gave her wings another push and was surprised to find it was easier to move the faster she went. Another boom echoed behind her the as the white cone materialized and vanished once more, much faster this time. She frowned, why wasn't it working?

Suddenly, a great white spire rushed past her. For the first time since takeoff, Scootaloo took a moment to examine her surroundings. She was over Canterlot. The orange pegasus had to rub her hooves over her eyes to make sure she wasn’t seeing things.

How had she already flown to Canterlot? She had only been trying to do a Rainboom for a minute, tops! She banked and pointed herself back to the small town in the distant valley.Without a second thought, she rocketed back home, relishing her impossible speed. Now that she was watching where she was going the feeling of speed was amazing, but just as quickly as the pleasure came, it was replaced by fear. She was going fast.

Too fast!

Scootaloo put on the brakes just as she passed over the roofs of Ponyville. By the time she had managed to slow to a comfortable speed she was already back over her launch site, Sweet Apple Acres.

She came in for a landing and managed to set down without crashing through a tree. The clubhouse was only a few yards away and out in front of it her two best friends stood looking at her with wide-eyed expressions.

“So what did ya think?” The orange pegasus asked, puffing out her chest and smiling proudly.

“That was AMAZIN’!” “Oh my Gosh. That was fast!” The other two fillies cheered over each other as the third member of their club returned from her super sonic flight.

Scootaloo’s smile faded. “Still didn't manage a Sonic Rainboom though.” She grumbled.

“Ya were still pretty darn fast fer someone who was too young ta fly yesterday.” Apple Bloom said trying to cheer up her friend.

“Yeah, I guess you’re right.” Scootaloo said, smile returning to her face. “Its all thanks to thi- OUCH!” She was about to show them the silver sphere that was dangling from her neck in a small burlap bag but the moment she tried to touch it, it had become very hot. She quickly tore off the bit of rope that held the bag around her neck and let it fall into the grass where the bag started to smoke and eventually caught fire. Sweetie Belle quickly dumped a small red pail of water (which they kept around on the insistence of Applejack) over the flames which went out with a sizzle.

Once the sphere had cooled, Apple Bloom shot a glance at the other two fillies. “Ah think we need to be ah little more careful with this thing.” The other two quickly nodded.

“Your turn next Apple Bloom.” Sweetie Belle smiled and produced another scrap of burlap and bit of rope. Apple Bloom looked at the offered pendant warily before slipping it over her neck.

“Nothin’s happenin’.” Applebloom said in confusion as nothing seemed to change.

“Look at the grass!” Scootaloo shouted in excitement. Applebloom looked where the orange pegasus was pointing to see the patch of charred grass from when the sphere caught flame. The grass in the small, blackened patch was quickly returning to its normal green color, and growing taller by the second until it had returned to a perfectly healthy state.

“Wow, that’s so cool!” Sweetie Belle cheered.

“Aren't earth ponies supposed to be strongest?” Scoots queried, a mischievous look on her face.

“Um... yeah?” Apple Bloom said tentatively. Scootaloo’s ‘scheming face’ didn’t exactly have a spotless record.

“Well then, heads up!” Scootaloo shouted as she kicked a small rubber ball at her friend’s head. Apple Bloom instinctively held up her hooves and kicked at the inflated sphere. The ball collided with her hooves and then popped, the air inside escaping out of a hoof shaped hole that had been punched through the back.

The three fillies just stared as the ball dangled limply on Apple Bloom’s leg.

“My turn! My tur-” Sweetie Belle started.

“Apple Bloom!” A distant shout and the sound of thundering hooves caught their attention. The large, red form of Big Mac burst from the trees between the farmhouse and the small clearing next to the Crusader’s clubhouse.

"House. Now." Big Mac rumbled after he slowed to a walk.

"But-" The three crusaders started.

"Nope. House. Now. No questions." Big Mac motioned to follow him and made sure the three fillies were behind him before trotting into the brush. The group of four walked in silence but as they neared the barn Big Mac slowed his trot to keep himself between the structure and the three fillies.

Scootaloo was curious. What had happened to make Big Mac come and force them into the house? He never forced them to do anything. She peeked underneath him, hoping to catch a glimpse of the barn he was trying to hide from them. There wasn’t much to see, really. The barn looked as normal as ever, except the pigs were being quiet and there was a lot more mud that had been splashed around the pen than usual. Maybe the hogs had gotten out? Why would Mac come and get them for that? She took another look, to be sure she hadn’t missed anything. This time she saw that the mud was actually much darker than it should’ve been and a few of the fenceposts had actually been broken through. ‘Maybe I’ll just stick by Big Mac for now... ‘ Scootaloo thought to herself. No sense in getting in the way of something that could take out an Apple Family fence, after all.

***

“What do you want?” I wanted to growl the words, but managed to school my face into an almost impassive frown. The purple annoying one stepped forward and bowed her head slightly. What the heck was she trying to do? I already had several book shaped dents in my cranium, I didn't need anything else to happen.

“I'm sorry.”

Wait... What?

“Umm, uh, ok, look are you apologizing about the book thing?” I fumbled for something to say, the last thing I had expected was an apology.

Twilight nodded “And the screaming... I sort of lost it.” She sat back on her haunches and rubbed her hooved against each other nervously, her massive eyes seemed intent on examining the giant cushion behind me.

“Umm, alright, can you explain something to me first?” I scratched my chin, wincing as a accidentally pulled out a whisker that had gotten a little bit too long. I really needed to shave.

“Sure, anything.” Twilight said almost too eagerly. She immediately stopped fidgeting and her ears perked way up. It was like I had said the magic words. ‘She must have thought I was going to bring the roof down on her or something.’

“...Right, your friend Rarity tried to explain a few things last night, but just to make sure, you’re not going to feed me to demons or anything?” I doubted they were going to, considering they hadn't already, but it never hurt to be sure.

Twilight frowned and shook her head. “No, why would you think that? Is that why you were calling me a witch?” Her ears swiveled back and her eyebrows knitted together in confusion. It was odd watching her reactions now that she wasn’t being so clinical, like she had been in the prison. Pony faces were so expressive.

I nodded. “Yeah, magic... well magic doesn't really exist where I'm from and anyone who can do it, is supposed to have gotten it by... uhh, doing some bad things.” I heard some scratching sounds and leaned a little to the left to see a quill scratching on a piece of parchment behind her. Both the quill and parchment were floating in her telltale purple field. ‘Forget magic... how the hell is she writing without even looking?’

“There are similar myths here and, um, I was a little sensitive when you brought it up.” She laughed a little nervously. Now her ears were backwards and pointed down and her eyes looked up at me like an injured puppy. Twilight couldn’t have played poker with a mask. “Everything is fine now, right?”

I sighed and rubbed my forehead, trying to stave off the headache I was already beginning to feel. “Yeah, I guess. Can't say I'm really comfortable with the whole magic thing, but I guess I can just deal with it. No one ever got anywhere by pouting about what can't be changed anyway.” Fluttershy smiled at me from her place next to the couch.

“See, was that so hard?” She said, sounding like that nurse stabbing your arm with a needle when you’re five. I grumbled a little but held my tongue. Twilight just shot me a big grin and, to my surprise, the big, white princess in the room stepped forward.

“Excuse me Mr. Chris, but I would also like to extend a formal apology on behalf of the nation of Equestria for your treatment during this whole affair.” She bowed her head slightly and apparently missed the deep frown that crept onto my face. “Now I am sure my student probably has a lot of questions for yo-”

“Woah, hang on a minute lady!” Twilight and the other ponies in the room gasped at my outburst. I even heard Rarity mumble something about ‘being rude in front of the princess.’ I scowled and pushed myself up off the couch, the white cat I had been absent mindedly scratching jumped off my lap and nestled back on the couch, apparently to watch the show. I looked the princess right in the eye and her nose crinkled just a little, despite her poker face. I don't imagine that I smelled very good, even after the bath I had taken the night before.

“That’s it?” I said my voice slowly climbing in anger. She responded by staring at me impassively. I had hand it to her, she had one hell of a poker face.

“I'm more than willing to just forgive someone shouting at me and dropping a few books on my head, that’s no big deal. But you can’t just ‘I’m sowwy’ your way out of assault, abduction, and unjust imprisonment!” I was full on shouting by this point and waving my arms around for emphasis.

Celestia opened her mouth to respond, but before she could voice her rebuttal the front door slammed open. Everyone’s attention immediately switched to the orange pony panting in the doorway. Applejack I think she said her name was, was panting and generally looking she just sprinted a long way to get here. “We got trouble at tha’ farm.” She gasped out, the other ponies in the room didn't hesitate to spring into action, following her out the door and leaving me alone with the Jerk and an attention starved cat.

“Uhh, ok. I guess I'll just stay here then.” I said as I watched a fluffy, pink tail whip out the door. “Finish yelling at you when you get back, I guess.” I mumbled and sat down on the couch, cat instantly returning to my lap. I looked around and found my copy of Genesis sitting on an end table. I cracked it open and shuffled through the pages, looking for my place. I stared after they long gone equines, eye twitching in annoyance.

“Damn ponies lost my bookmark.”

Author’s Note: Nearly 4000 words for you guys to enjoy. whew now if you’ll excuse me i have to get to work.

Co-Author’s Note: Cut it down to the wire editing this one. *whew* Hope you guys enjoy it. Also, I’m probably way too proud of my work on the feelsy parts of this chapter...